Uuuggghh Women

Rudolf Lagowski

Farmer | Pheebs ♥

OOC First Name
Claire
Wand
Knotted 9 1/2 Inch Flexible Maple Wand with Fwooper Feather Core
Rudolf didn't usually like studying with anyone else, but today he had made an exception, mostly on account of the fact he was willing to do practically anything to spend more time with Phoebe. It was unfortunate that Reuben had begged to tag along, but there wasn't much that could be done about that. After a while, Rudolf looked across the table at Phoebe, and said, "Do you want me to help you write that down, Pheebs?"

Phoebe was a determined person, as evidenced by her house. She was sure that this year would be extremely difficult, but it wasn't as if she cared. When she put her mind to something it would be done, always. The blind woman, whom had recently decided to try writing for herself rather than relying on someone else, was feeling the bumped shapes her mother had sent her. Rather than being actual braille they were the shapes of the letter, so that she could attempt to copy them. She would read her braille and then find the letters, trying to write like a normal person would. As Rudolf offered assistance the girl shook her head. "No, I can do this." She spoke, her voice a bit annoyed - as she hated being treated like she needed help.

Ancient Runes was proving quite an interesting subject - if a little difficult - and Reuben was quite deep in concentration when Rudolf offered Phoebe his help. The Hufflepuff blushed, trying to nudge his brother in the ribs. That boy might have been academically smart, but his sensitivity left quite a lot to be desired.

Already in a bit of a grump, what with Reuben suddenly excelling where he was struggling, Rudolf grew indignant at Phoebe's comment. "Why not? You're obviously struggling," he said carelessly. His intentions were good, really, but their chances of being well received were slim. "Just let me help you."

Phoebe stopped writing and glared in the general direction of her friend. "Rudolf stop, I'm never going to be able to write if you keep trying to help me!" She then looked back down at the table and began feeling at the braille-esqu letters, writing their shapes, unaware of the overlapping letters.

By now, Reuben's elbow-nudges were forceful enough to cause light bruising. Had Rudolf completely lost it? Reuben had thought the Gryffindor had wanted Phoebe to accept his third invitation to the Yule Ball, but at the rate he was going, he was going to see a repeat of the previous two years.

Uurghhh, women were infuriating. There was Rudolf, perfectly happy to do twice the usual amount of work to spare Phoebe the effort, and she was turning him down without so much as considering the offer. "It's not like you're ever going to anyway," he said, not intentionally unkindly; the anger that had been brewing inside him for an entire year was simply beginning to boil over. He wanted to help her, and he had given in for the last time.

Phoebe stopped writing at what Rudolf said. He didn't even believe in her abilities. Phoebe knew that sometimes she tried in vein. She'd probably never have the best hand writing, but she'd believed partially in herself. However, if her own best friend didn't believe in her what was the point? In that moment Phoebe felt alone, and she felt the heat of tears stinging her eyes. Crying? Why was she crying? The petite Gryffindor stood slowly and began to pack her things without speaking. The tears rolled one after another down her cheeks, but she didn't make a sound. She grabbed her books, whimpering slightly from trying to hold back her tears, and grabbed her cane, not even bothering to say anything to the tw of them as she tried to leave on her wobbling knees.

Merlin's whiskers, he'd actually made her cry. Reuben glared daggers at his twin, wondering whether or not he ought to say something. But what? He wasn't responsible for his twin's stupidity, so he wasn't going to apologise; but neither could he sit back and do nothing. "Nice one," he said sarcastically, loudly enough for Phoebe to overhear, and then stood up to follow her. "Hey, it's Reuben," he said quietly, as he caught her up. "It's not true, you know," he tried desperately to reassure her. "You will learn to write. And I bet he thinks so too, really. OK, maybe not, but you should prove him wrong!"

Rudolf's face reddened with guilt and regret. Had he seriously just said that? What he really should have done next was apologise, but he was so busy thinking about what a horrible person he was that he didn't think to do so until Phoebe had walked away, Reuben hurrying along behind her. Tears welled in the Gryffindor's own eyes, and he gave a loud sniff. He honestly hadn't meant to be so unkind. Would she ever forgive him? Did he deserve forgiveness? He was just so upset about his grades, and Reagan, and being away from home again; and now he'd made the only girl in the school he wanted to kiss cry. Life as a thirteen year old boy sucked.

Phoebe looked in the direction of the voice, missing the mark by a foot or so. Her ear picked up on the sniff from Rudolf, and she sighed. he hadn't meant it, she was upset though - it didn't make it right. The Gryffindor wiped at her face again and shrugged. "He's right, I just didn't think he'd say it." she muttered before turning and continuing to walk away, her cane pointing her toward her room, where she most desperately wanted to go.

Reuben was utterly devastated; for many years he had felt completely incapable in the shadow of Rudolf, and he would not allow Phoebe to feel the same. "No! He isn't right at all!" he said, still keeping pace. "You know, once when we were eight... or maybe nine - anyway, he told me I couldn't climb the tree at the end of one of our fields. So the next day I went out and I climbed it. I mean, I fell in some pig poo afterwards, but it was worth it, because I'd proved I could climb the tree. You have to climb the tree, Phoebe! Don't give up just because my brother is the Mayor of Doofusville!"

Phoebe turned now, stopping her pace and turning to face the twin and listen to his story. Her face slowly went from the hardened angry state to a softer expression. Her clouded over orbs searched to look at his face, even if she couldn't actually see it. Phoebe's head pointed at the ground, she felt ashamed of herself for getting so easily down trodden. "Thank you." She spoke gently at Reuben. From her original country hello and goodbye were said with kisses on the cheek, as well as sometimes thank yous. The blonde leaned forward with full intentions to kiss him on the cheek as a thank you, but misguided herself, and her lips brushed gently against Reuben's. The blonde pulled back after a few seconds and her face twisted into a strange look. "Do you have a cut on her face?" She asked, mistaking the texture of the thirteen year old's lips for the texture of a scar.

Reuben was relieved when Phoebe came to a halt, because even chasing blind girls was hard work. He shook his head, which, in hindsight, was a pretty useless thing to do, and said, "Hey, it's cool. Don't mention it, Pheeb." He would have been happy, then, to have headed back to the table and left Phoebe to it. The absolute last thing he expected was to receive a kiss. The Hufflepuff closed his eyes, holding his breath as most amateurs do. It was a strange feeling; not altogether pleasant, which might have been because he did not fancy her, but exhilarating all the same. Then she pulled away. "Uhm," said Reuben, confused. "No?"

Phoebe gave a puzzled look at him, cocking her head to the side. "Well then you should really use some lotion. Your cheeks are quite rough." She laughed and then sighed again. "I think I'm going to go. Tell Rudolf he still has to come down tonight for the reading okay?" She requested, before turning, cane tapping, and going on her merry way.

Nonplussed, Reuben stood where Phoebe had left him for several seconds before it finally occurred to him to move. He went back to Rudolf's table and sat down, trying to look completely as if he hadn't just accidentally kissed his brother's crush on the lips. And she didn't even know! "So, it's cool, bro," he said as he slid back into his seat. "She says she still wants to do the reading with you later. But seriously, that was not cool. You hurt her feelings."

Rudolf did not question the length of his brother's absence, except to think that it ought to have been him who'd run after Phoebe instead. He scowled at his textbook, tapping his quill against it instead of studying. When Reuben returned, the Gryffindor didn't so much as look up. "So?" he said, even though he really did feel bad. "She's hurt my feelings loads of times." Indeed she had. Rudolf had taken her rejections to the Yule Ball in his stride, but on the inside he'd been hurting more than he had cared to admit. "She can stuff her stupid reading."

Reuben felt strangely sorry for his brother. Most of the time the Hufflepuff enjoyed seeing Rudolf get screwed over, because it seemed like good payback for all the times he'd put frogspawn in Reuben's shoes; but today he could not bring himself to gloat. "Rudy, she's a girl," he said, stressing the sex. "She thinks way deeper than you do. If you want her to like you, you should try being nice for a change, instead of just... well, you."

Rudolf didn't see what being a girl had to do with anything; nor understand why Reuben suddenly had a NEWT in the subject of lady-problems. The afflicted twin continued to glower at his book, elbow on the table and temple on palm. Brilliant. So Reuben's advice was to stop being himself? "Thanks a bunch, o wise one," he muttered, strongly considering getting up and leaving.

When his suggestion was ill-received, Reuben sighed. Could Rudolf not see how unattractive his sullen temper made him? Reuben didn't even fancy Phoebe, and all it had taken for her to kiss him - albeit by mistake - was for him to show her a little kindness. Losing patience, Reuben said, "Dude, what's gotten into you lately? You used to be fun. Are you still mad because Reagan died? Because news flash - he's not coming back. And you're not going to do yourself any favours with Phoebe by being a massive jerk to everyone. I know that's not the real you!"

Sometimes, when Rudolf forgot Reuben was his twin, the Hufflepuff reminded him by so accurately assessing what he was upset about that each of his words were like punches to the gut. Rudolf's lip began to quiver, and then, before the tears in his eyes could slip over his waterline, he threw the upper portion of his body down onto the table and hid his face in the crook of his elbow.

"Noooo!" Reuben whined, horrified; Rudolf never cried. The Hufflepuff leant forward and rested his head on his twin's back, enveloping him in a hug that he could not have extricated himself from without considerably difficulty. "I'm soorryy. Please don't cry. I just really miss you, brother. We were so close before we came to Hogwarts, and then you made me feel like I wasn't cool enough to hang out with you and your new friends any more."

Rudolf gave a giant sniff, too miserable even to attempt escape from his twin's embarrassing hug. The Gryffindor wanted to tell Reuben that it had not been his intention in the slightest to make him think he was too uncool to hang out with him; but in a moment of absolute horror and shame, he realised he could not give utterance to these words without lying. He hadn't wanted Reuben around. He had deemed him a loser, and avoided being seen with him in public. And all he'd gained for his efforts was a complete reversing of the tables: Reuben was no longer the loser. Rudolf was. "Iamthebiggestjerkinthewholewoorld," he howled, all in one extended breath. Merlin help anyone who was actually trying to study in the library that day.

Reuben gave Rudolf's arm a sympathetic pat. "Noo, not the biggest one," he said, finally releasing the Gryffindor from his bear-like grip and sitting up. "I mean, no matter how big a jerk you've been, you'll never be quite as big a one as Rome." Though he didn't say so, Reuben was secretly quite grateful that his brother had not attempted to deny the wrongness of his behaviour. The first step to their moving onward from it was Rudolf's acknowledgement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back