OOC First Name
Camilla
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Wand
Curved 12.5" Swishy Vine Wand with Fairy Wing Core
Renata had been settling in to Hogwarts a lot better than expected. Hufflepuff was filled with really lovely and friendly people, so even when she felt overwhelmed and overemotional she could always find a friendly face. Of course, she tried really hard to be as kind and warm as possible, wanting people to be nice to her in return, but she didn't have to try that hard to see kindness around her. It was such a contrast to Durmstrang, where socially she sat somewhere between a rat and a muggleborn. She tried not to dwell on it. She was safe now, and as long as she worked hard she'd stay at Hogwarts until she graduated.

She'd just finished putting a letter together for her parents, telling them all the good things that had happened, the clubs she'd joined, the fact that she'd become an alternate on the Quidditch team (ignoring the fact that she was quite a terrible beater). She sent it off on one of the owls, glad it didn't have to travel too far, and watched as more owls came in, bearing letters to be delivered.

Third year so far hadn’t proved itself to be everything Lexi thought it would have been. Sure, now they were studying new classes, but Lexi was impatient and more than ready for those classes to start getting interesting. During once such class, his mind had been wandering back to Renata, whom he’d not spoken to for what felt like years. Lexi liked to think that most people got on well with him, but he didn’t have a conventional set of friends or even a best friend. For the most part he was able to linger in between the groups of students at school, it was neither here nor there.

Taking out some parchment, he’d started to scribble out a letter to her during class. Lexi had considered also sending her a bit of Durmstrang since he figured she probably missed it, but he wasn’t sure what would fit in the envelope.

Rennie!!

Did you make it to Hogwarts? What house did you get put into? I bet you would have made it into Slytherin because you are so sneaky to be able to get around the school with no one noticing :lol: I know the students there probably aren’t as great as us sorry, they never will be ;3, but if you’re having fun then that’s good! Classes here are still SO boring, I’m just waiting for them to finally get past the ickle intro stages and be interesting. Blegh. Do you have the same classes we do? Oh and if you’re missing school, let me know and I’ll see if I can owl you some photos or some notes from other people here, there might be one or two that won’t mind. When you come back in the holiday, can you bring back some Gobstoppers? Shop here ran out ;-;

Lexi - It’s Alex ;)

One letter fell directly in to her lap, and her blood went cold as she saw it. It wasn't from her family in New Zealand, but from Durmstrang. Her hands involuntarily trembled as she toyed with the envelope, quietly wondering if it was cursed in some manner. Maybe filled with a deadly poison. "No, that's silly," she muttered, opening the letter. Her face fell as she read it. She remembered Lexi, he wasn't the worst person she'd come across but he apparently was a bit of an idiot. Or maybe she'd just been way too good at putting on a brave face. Sighing, she pulled out more of her letter writing impliments, scrawling a reply so she could forget about it sooner rather than later. After all, replying was the polite thing to do, and she'd never be outright rude to anyone. Maybe just stiffly formal and not like herself.

Dear Lexi - or Alex, if that is what you would prefer.

I honestly did not expect this letter so you have caught me with no guard. Yes, I did make it in to Hogwarts. No, I am not in Slytherin. Everyone here has been very nice so far and I have not been jinxed yet. There is a subject called Muggle Studies which is really different to anything Durmstrang taught. Please don't send me any notes from the class. Sorry unless my great grandfather calls us back home I will not be visiting any time soon. I can try and owl some Gobstoppers to you if you really need them though.

- Renata

Of course, Lexi had expected a reply back from Renata, but it came a lot quicker than he was anticipating. He’d been checking the owlery almost religiously when he spotted a letter with his name on it, and ripped it open there and then. He scanned through the contents, reading it twice to make sure he hadn't missed anything, and decided the best thing to do was write a reply before he got distracted by anything or anyone. He’s been telling people at school now that he had a friend at Hogwarts, although he hadn’t told anyone who so much as they were a girl. It had done a lot for his reputation to be honest, but Lexi didn’t feel like showing anyone the letters specifically.

Reneggie!

Well in that case you are most welcome to receive such an unexpected gift! Do you have any other pen pals or is it just me? I think that’s what we are now, officially. Can’t believe you didn’t make the snake house though. So where are you? What kind of things do you do in Smuggle Studies? Is it like maths and stuff? I’m really glad we don’t have to go to a whole muggle school though, can you imagine? It must take literal years to get anything done. Are you sure you don’t want any notes? I can ask around and I don’t think anyone would mind. They can ask you about Hogwarts ;D What do you mean you’re not coming back?! You could have told us that before you left you know. You’re not even coming back for like, Christmas? Yeah we need about 30 Gobstoppers but I’ve sent you money for them.

Alexander - But you can call me Lexi!

Renata had been quite content not to think any more about the letter until a response actually showed up, and the blood drained from her face as she read it. It wasn't a problem with Lexi specifically, of course, though he wasn't helping matters. But Durmstrang had been so unpleasant and she had been so unhappy there. How could she get that through a letter without being rude? She even went out on a Brightstone weekend and bought the Gobstoppers before sending back a reply, as it was the nice thing to do.

Dear Alexander, as you seem as though you can't decide on which name you would prefer!

I have never had a pen pal before. It is a surprise you would want to write to me in honesty. I'm in the badger house. Most people in it are really nice though they let me on the Quidditch team and I don't think that was a very good idea. I can't imagine going to a muggle school though from what I understand from this class theres a lot of "engines" and "computators" which are kind of like an inconvenient magic device for communicating and reading people's bad opinions.

I don't know why I'm telling you all of this. Please don't tell anyone at Durmstrang any of this especially the learning about muggles part because I don't want to get mean letters.

I'm sorry I didn't tell you anything it was a kind of hurried decision after I went home then we spent most of the summer moving, except here it was winter. Did you know they have Christmas in summer here? I think I will spend Christmas at the beach.

I hope the Gobstoppers make it to you alright.

Not really sure of what else to add, she sent her reply off, feeling incredibly silly about the whole thing.

Since the first letter had shown up so quickly, Lexi thought the second would be here just as fast. However as time passed he considered that maybe Renata wouldn’t be replying to him at all. No that was daft, why wouldn’t she? Lexi begin checking for letting less frequently, no one ought to be climbing those staircases every day, and besides if she had replied, she could wait a few days for a reply as well. Eventually something arrived at the school addressed to him, along with an extra attachment. Opening the package he realised she’d actually sent him the gobstoppers; it had been a joke, not something he actually thought she’d take the time to get, but hey at least now they had more.

Ren

Yooo you actually got the candy! That’s epic, they taste slightly different than they do here which is pretty cool actually.
You said you were surprised I’d want a pen pal, but yeah of course, how many other people get to say they have an international friend? Okay maybe all the muggles with their computars might find it easier but I bet your Hogwarts buddies don’t have pen pals either.
I’m not going tell anyone about what our letters say, they should get their own pen pals if they’re so interested! The kids here probably forgot how to write letters too, I have no idea how I’m top of the class because it’s not like I’m even trying, I’m just surrounded by idiots. Don’t worry, it’s our little secret ;)
No WAY do you get to have Christmas by the beach. That’s it. I’m visiting. Then you can show me your little badger robes and everything too yeah? I’ve always wanted to go abroad.

It’s just -Lexi. But I didn’t know if you remembered who I was.

Renata knew she was being incredibly silly half waiting at breakfast every day for a response. She just didn't want anyone else to see the letters and work out she went to Durmstrang, that was all. It wasn't as though she liked having a penpal or anything.

...it was a little nice to know someone still remembered her and wasn't overly mean, maybe. She was still worried that the penny would drop eventually. But it wasn't as though he could apparate so she didn't have to worry about him showing up.

Dear Lexi - yes I did remember who you were!

Do they taste very different? I think the chocolate frogs do slightly too but I'm not totally sure cause it had been ages since I'd had one. The beans are still gross but I always manage to pick the bad flavours so maybe I'm just unlucky.

I'm sure you're probably just underestimating yourself and probably working hard. But I guess a lot of students just have family names to get them by so they don't need to work very hard. There is probably a bit of that here too though.

I guess if you do come visit I can show you around though I'm still learning where everything is so I would be a bad tour guide. It's nice here though but I always thought Sweden was pretty if a little cold. I think yellow and black looks okay on me but I look a little bit like a bee in Quidditch robes and nobody needs to see that!

- Renata

The pile of letters in Lexi’s room was starting to gain some attention by his peers. They noticed he was checking for post more so than a lot of the students, and had begun questioning him all about this mystery girl he was talking to. Obviously, Lexi had kept to his word and not told a soul about the contents, but it had been a sad day indeed when he realised the best thing to do was burn them after reading. He wanted something of his own to get him through the long school days, and the letters from Rennie were exactly that.

Renebee! Bzzzzz

If you’d have said you’d forgotten me I’d have to of come down sooner rather than later, which means I guess you’ve got time to get better at being a tour guide. And a beater. Didn’t think you were into that kind of thing but that’s cool. Don’t fall off eh?

Everything tastes weird over there, I bet. Different sugar and stuff. The beans are horrible but if you get an Earthworm and think about it really hard, it sort of like cherry. You’ll probably forget what this GOOD food tastes like soon though if you haven’t already.

When you think of me working hard, picture me sat at the back of the room wearing six pairs of sunglasses on my face at once. Did that in Charms last week and no one battered an eyelid eye. Can you get away with stuff like that there? You should try it.

Just Lexi

If anyone had told Renata at the start of the semester she might actually be happy to hear from Durmstrang, she would have called them a liar. But so it was that she looked forward to getting letters. Well, she looked forward to getting letters anyway, they were usually from her parents asking about how she was going, and she sent them token letters telling them about her classes, about all the nice Hufflepuffs that she'd met, about the clubs she'd joined. Leaving out the bludger hits and all the bad things, of course. She did enjoy her penpal letters, though, as much as she didn't want to openly admit that, because it was perilously close to liking something that came out of Durmstrang and she absolutely refused to do such a thing.

Dear Just Lexi

I guess I have plenty of time to get ready to show you around now! Maybe by then I will be slightly better at Quidditch so this bee can actually hit bludgers with a bit of sting to them?

Wow, that was a long way to walk for a very bad joke. I humbly ask for your forgiveness.

I'm mostly surprised the food here isn't as warm and hearty. It tastes pretty good, but I think my nonna would kill me if I said it was anywhere near as good as anything she makes so I won't say anything like it.

Where did you even get six pairs of sunglasses from??? I have to admit that is a really funny mental image. I only have the one pair but maybe I can get away with it in Potions and just say that I'm using them to protect my eyes? If they even ask. I'm still new here so I'm trying to be very good but soon enough I'll have thrown myself in to enough activities that I will become part of the furniture. I think I would rather be a bee than a chair though. Maybe a cool lamp? What do you think? There's a weird question for you to ponder next time you're bored in class.

- Renata, the clock that makes buzzing noises

Users who are viewing this thread

Back