Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Gay
Wand
Ten inch sturdy Cypress wood with Thestral hair core
James had been doing some thinking lately. He knew he wasn't really... ready, yet, to ask what he wanted to ask, but he was starting to think of it. He was shopping online right now, while he was home alone. Money wasn't really an issue, but something like this, it had to be perfect. He was just browsing, really, considering the implications of what he wanted. Of what Colin might say. He sighed softly, chewing his lip a bit out of nervousness. Colin had been married once. And then divorced. Had it really been only because Colin was gay? Or was he against marriage altogether? James sighed, nearly jumping out of his skin when he heard someone at the door. He shut the computer quickly, clearing his throat. "Come in," He called, his voice cracking just a little.

Christian usually made a point to stay outside of New Zealand, but he had business in Obsidian Harbour today. After swinging by Olivia’s new shop, which was (literally) blooming, he decided to check in on an old work colleague. Christian had taken over a few projects for James Michaels when he had gone on leave and hadn’t heard from the man since.

With a box of mock cream doughnuts in hand, he knocked on the door. It was strange to be so close to Tilly’s school and not be able to visit with her. While he was proud of his daughter, he missed her deeply.

“Hi, James,” Christian said, holding up the box as an offering. “I don’t mean to intrude- I was just in the area and thought I’d swing by.”

James visibly relaxed when Christian walked in, smiling and standing. "Christian, its been a long time. Come in, come in," James gestured to a seat at the table with him. "Do you want something to drink?" He asked, summoning a soft drink for himself. "What brings you by?" He grinned.

Christian grinned at his friend. “Absolutely! A beverage sounds nice. I’m not fussy.” He took a seat at the table and draped his jacket over the back of the chair. “I had to run some errands for Teuila,” he said, blushing a bit, “We’re expecting.” After Tilly and Sefina, Christian and Teuila thought they were done having children, but the universe had other ideas.

“How are you doing, James?” Christian honestly had no idea what James had been going through. He wasn’t the type to pry. That said, checking in on your friends was a way of showing you gave a damn about them.

James nodded, summoning in another drink and a glass of ice just in case Christian wanted, offering both to the man before sitting down himself. He beamed widely at the mans news. "Again? That's wonderful!" He clapped his hand on Christian's shoulder. "Congratulations," He patted the man's shoulder before settling in his seat.

He winced at Christian's question. "That... depends on my mood, really." He looked away. "You know I haven't been working. And you know I have my brothers twins and I took in another little boy," He sighed. "My little sister... well, she went crazy, I guess, and she attacked the twins while they were out. Well, she attacked Sapphire. Onyx saw it coming, and he shoved his sister out of the way. An auror stopped her before she could do anything more, thank merlin, but Onyx... well, he was hurt really badly. His head was bust open, they had to stitch it shut. And when he woke... he had no memory."

James sighed, running a hand over his face. "I had to pull him from school. Tutors, therapists, doctors appointments. I've kept him close, done what I could. My boyfriend- Colin Marsh, do you remember me mentioning him, the playwright I met? He moved in to help me, and merlin, I love him so much." James bit his lip, looking to Christian. "Hey, ah... when did you decide to propose to Teuila?"

Christian accepted the soda, wrapping his hands around the cup, but not drinking just yet. “Thanks, James. Bit unexpected, over the moon, though. Teuila’s convinced it’s another little girl. That would make three,” he said, grinning. Fortunately, his daughters were spaced out enough in age where they rarely fought or tried to destroy the house.

Christian sat back as he listened to James’ story. His easy smile melted into a frown, his brow furrowing. Twisted, cruel humans lurked in every corner of the world. Although James’ family wasn’t his own, Christian’s blood simmered with anger. He sipped at the iced drink in an attempt to cool himself down.

Thank Merlin those children had James for an uncle. “That’s horrific,” Christian said, “no wonder you’ve been away from work. Family comes first.” Christian had the impulse to ask after Onyx, and thought better of it. One, he didn’t want to embarrass the boy if he was around, two, if he wasn’t doing better, Christian didn’t want to salt the wound for his overburdened uncle.

Christian nodded at the mention of Colin. Though he’d never met the man, he got a good impression of him from James. When Christian’s own proposal was brought up, he blushed a little. “I proposed after we found out we were expecting Tilly.” Not that this would help James any, if Christian’s suspicions were true.

After a moment, he added, cautiously, “If you’re thinking about it, it’s probably the right time, no?”

James chuckled. "And we both know she's always right," he teased lightly. "Have you thought of names yet?" He ignored the little twisting of his heart as he thought he'd never have a child of his own- not that the kids weren't his, but he had always been uncle James, even to Jordan. He had been so afraid of trying to take his brothers place, he feared he had lost his chance to be a father.

He shook the thoughts from his head, sipping his own drink. "I've started to try edging back into work. Took a small gig in France, was away a few days with Onyx. He's... Doing alright, mostly, though he's taken to drinking. I had to find him a new therapist." He sighed.

James blushed at Christians statement, looking away. "I, ah... May have been thinking of it. But there's still too much to do. I still haven't taken him to meet my family." He shuddered. "Mother is very... Intimidating, and my brother and his wife can be overwhelming." He chuckled a bit. "Besides, Colin has always wanted to take out relationship slowly. Even if... That was ever a possibility, I'm sure he'd say no if I asked now." He sipped his drink again before looking to Christian.

"How are you feeling? Ready to be even more outnumbered?" He teased.

Christian shook his head. “Not quite. Besides, that’s top secret,” he said with a wink. He and his wife had decided not to share names with anyone, not even their parents or siblings. Doing so spared them unneeded judgment and bad luck. “Ready as ever!” he joked, hoping the universe didn’t decide to gift them with triplets.

The wizard sipped at his soda. “I hope the new therapist works out,” he said, not sure what else he should say, if anything. Christian had had his share of trauma as a child, but knew there was a fine line between listening and unwarranted advice-giving.

Christian grinned mischievously at James. “Well, you’ll know when it’s the right time.” Draining his glass and setting it down on the table, he said, “Colin sounds like a keeper.” Though he’d never met the wizard, he’d gotten a good impression from James.

“What are you doing to take care of yourself?”

James chuckled, propping his chin in his hand. "Well, I'll eagerly await to find out then," He teased lightly. He smiled lightly and shook his head. "You're a brave man, Christian," He joked light-heartedly. "Every woman in my life is an absolute spitfire, but I'm blessed that I only have to handle them separately on most days." He laughed lightly, sipping his drink.

He nodded at Christian's words on the therapist. "She should, she works at the school. Sapphire told me of her, and I was lucky she agreed to speak to Onyx." He rubbed his forehead a bit. "He remembers some things, but trying to help him through the roller coaster of emotions he's had, well, I do my best but I feel better thinking there's a trained professional he can turn to as well." He sighed, worry clear in his eyes.

James sighed, glancing to the computer again. "I hope so... you've known me a long time, Christian. I don't have to tell you how unlucky in love I've been all my life- the strings of one night stands and a week or two here and there with some drifter is all I've ever known." He chuckled a bit, running a hand through his hair. "Colin is very much a keeper. I just worry I might not be one, myself," He confided in his friend, still worried that Colin was too good for him and the other man would come to realize that.

At Christian's last question, James couldn't help but laugh. He summoned another soda, sliding it over for Christian in case he wanted it. "I have no idea, honestly. I don't really stop to think of myself in all this mess. Colin takes pretty good care of me, though." He smiled warmly. "I don't know how I'd manage this without him, honestly. He's been amazing, he's so good to me. He cooks dinner most nights, and he's been so supportive," James sighed softly, finishing his drink and summoning in another one.

“That’s crap, and you know it. Of course you’re a keeper,” Christian replied. He felt comfortable saying this, since he’d known James for a long time. He reached for the soda that James had summoned and took a sip. Raspberry cream this time; Christian hadn’t tasted this in ages. It was sickly and delicious at the same time.

“I’m glad to hear Colin has been so supportive,” Christian said, “I’d love to meet him sometime.” When James was ready, of course. “You two- and any of the kids- are welcome to visit us anytime.” Christian and Teuila were used to hosting visitors at their house in Samoa, especially when winter rolled around.

“You should still consider doing something for yourself. You give so much to others; you deserve it.”

James shrugged. If that line didn't work from his mother, his brother and his wife, or his uncle, then he wouldn't buy it from one of his friends. It wasn't that their opinions didn't matter, it was that Colin's opinion was the one that mattered the most.

He smiled softly, nodding at the man's statement. "Yeah, he's an angel." He chuckled. "I'll keep that in mind. I've been wanting to introduce him to more people in my life, but my family is just... so chaotic, it can be overwhelming." He ran a hand through his hair. "From the beginning, he's always wanted to take things slowly. Taking him into something like that... well, it's going to be crazy," He chuckled. "Something calmer like your family would be a perfect opener." He nodded.

He smiled a little at the comment to take care of himself. "I suppose I can try." He smiled, running a hand through his hair. "But enough about me. What about you?" He gave his friend a smile. "What have you been up to?"

Christian grinned. “Can’t promise it would be calm with the little ones. But there would probably be less awkward questions.” That said, he knew how tense it was introducing significant others to family. There were expectations even if no one said so out loud. First impressions meant everything. While Christian counted himself lucky that Teuila was already acquainted with his family before they started dating, but it had been nerve-wracking for him to meet her parents for the first time.

“Sending Tilly to HNZ was the biggest event of the year,” Christian said. Of course, he was still writing and working, but that went without saying. He considered bringing up Julie’s death, but in truth, he was still struggling with this and didn’t feel like talking about it at the moment, even with a close friend. She was the closest person he had to a mother from a young age and he missed her terribly. “She got sorted into Hufflepuff.” He snorted. “I think she enjoys fooling around the school more than learning magic.” Really, that hadn’t been a surprise.

“One of yours is graduating soon, right?” Christian almost said two, but then remembered Onyx was no longer in school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back