Tomorrow is always better

Finnian Rosenkranz

Wand
Oak 14 3/4 Essence of Raven Feather
Finnian wandered the hallways of Hogwarts, searching for their common room. Slowly, he brought each leg forward and lunged himself to each square tile like a little kid. It's been four hours and still he is yet to find his dorm myself, which then lead him to being lost and going back and for from hallways to hallways like a fool.

It had actually been quite a few weeks since he had attended the said school, yet, the mysteries and the magic inside it was actually too much for him, that fromtime to time, he would find it hard to pinpoint his exact location, which is actually not like him at all, being actually a servant to suge a huge manor, Finnian had learn how to be responsible as well as easily remember the places of the things that he would need, yet, seeing as everything would change inside the castle from time to time, Finnian cannot really help but to really get lost.

Anyways, back to his dilemma. He stopped right beside one of the many windows to see a group of students happily talking to each other. He frowned at the sight. People were not his forte, he is very anti-social. His hand touched the window and he turned away from the scene.

"Make some friends for once," his grandparents would often tell him. He shivered at the dare meaning of those words. Sighing, he reached into his bag and grabbed the parchment that where he had tried to draw a simple map of the area, but to no avial, it didn't really make any sense at all. With another sigh, Finnian then lid down along the walls only to sit with his knees close to himself, he could probably just wait to see someone who could point him to where he was supposed to go right? Only that is, if he was actually lucky enough.

It was one of those days where you just can't help but smile. That's what Amber thought in the least. She was having a wonderful day, she had left her last class with a bright smile. She couldn't help but think about how much fun she was having, since she was finally attending Hogwarts New Zealand. She had been excited about going to Wizarding School since she was really young and this day couldn't get any better to her. It was so refreshing to her to be out of her house and in a place where so much went on she didn't have enough time or energy to be bored or lonely. One would say this was unusual, seeing as Amber hadn't made any friends but she didn't mind, she was just happy to finally be somewhere that wasn't as restricted and confined as the Wilson manor. The time she had been there was some of the best she had ever had, she had so much fun learning about magic and being in awe of everything the school had to offer. Amber entered fourth floor corridor with the same positive attitude she always had when she saw a familiar face. Amber paused and tilted her head to the side in curiosity as to why Finnian was at Hogwarts. She had no idea he was a Wizard.

It was a but confusing to Amber, how Finnian was standing beside one of the windows, in the corridor. It was the last thing Amber would have expected, to see him there. Amber shook her head in disbelief at the fact that Finnian was a wizard. Why else would he be there? Composing herself to look calm and casual, a habit of hers, Amber walked up to Finnian with a Kind smile. "Hi." She said sounding somehow like she was asking him a question. Amber was delighted to see Finnian, at least she knew somebody at this school. Looking Finnian up and down, Amber noticed that he was in Hufflepuff too. "I had no idea you were a Wizard, Finnian." Amber said as she tilted her head to the side again. She was curious, there was no doubt about it. Amber had always tilted her head to the side whenever she was really curious about something. She didn't ask Finnian any questions but she did insinuate that she wanted to know why he was there and talk to him about her favourite thing at the moment, which was infact, Magic.

Finnian was surprised when he had heard a very familiar voice, too familiar in fact that even with his eyes closed, he would definitely recognize the person. Yet, he couldn't make himself believe that she was there as well, not in the same school as him and definitely not on the same place. Yet, as he turned his head to look at the said owner of the voice, his suspicions were proven to be correct, Amber, the sole heir to the mansion that he was serving was indeed right there, standing in front of him and greeting him as well. It seemed that with the expression that she was showing, she was just as confused as she was. Blinking his eyes a few times, Finnian had tried to see whether he was just dreaming or not, or whether he was being tricked by someone in the school. Yet, deep inside, he wished that Amber was indeed there with him. After a few minutes of silence, he had had decided to answer her. "Ms. Amber, you are here?" He said, rather awkwardly as he bowed his head down a little, like what he would usually do back in the manor.

Ironic how he didn't forget the things that he had learned there, respect, be courteous. Everything really, even the habit of bowing down had remained in him. Smiling a little as he raised his head once more, he had had noticed that Amber was actually in the same house as him, another irony, right? They were in the same house yet this was the first time that they had actually seen each other. "How are you doing?" He then asked, not really knowing what else would he say.

Laughing cheerfully, Amber was so glad she had actually found somebody she did know at Hogwarts. She could actually have somebody to talk to now and she couldn't help but be even happier that the person she had met that day was Finnian. Now that they weren't in her house, they could actually talk normally to each other instead of their conversations bring awkward and formal like the one they had at the mansion. Now they could talk to each other like friends, that is what Amber wanted all along and since Finnian had actually said her first name casually it showed how relaxed they both were now, from Amber's point of view at least. "I am here." Amber stated, she couldn't stop smiling, because she had actually seen Finnian. She was worrying a little when her parent's said that he hadn't been around the house or grounds lately but now that she had seen him her worrying went away. "I like how you said my first name by the way." Amber said, she was glad that he had said her first name but he did call her Miss Amber instead of just Amber. She didn't really mind because she was just so happy and her day couldn't get any better.

In reply to Finnian's question, Amber said kindly and cheerfully "I'm doing great, couldn't be happier, Wizarding school is so exciting." She was telling the truth, she was totally and utterly happy. "And you?" Amber asked, before going through her bag to get something out. She had something to show Finnian, it was a picture of the new kind of roses the might be getting planted in the rose garden, the place where they first met. Pulling out the photo that she had cut out of a magazine, Amber held it in her hand. "Um, My mother asked me if I wanted to get some new flowers planted at home and I found this picture of some roses I liked. Would you like to see them?" Amber asked, she needed his opinion, seeing as he woule be one of the people planting them and she needed his opinion on them too. Mostly because she didn't want him to plant something he thought was ugly. She also wanted to make sure that Finnian wanted to see the picture before she actually showed it to him. Just handing it to him would be a little rude. Wouldn't it?

Finnian cannot help but to blush when Amber commented on how she like how he had said her name. Really, he didn't know what had come up to him, but when she said that, he cannot help but to feel really embarrassed. "Well, you did said that I can call you by your name, so, I figured that I should try it." He said with a soft tone. Really, he was very glad to have seen Amber once again. Being him, he hadn't really met a lot of friends yet, he had just been too, quiet for his own good actually. But now, at least he would have someone to talk to, and not just someone actually, it was Amber, his very first friend it seemed.

Finnian nodded when Amber said that she was doing great, at least, she was happy, and because of that, he was happy too. "I'm doing fine I guess." He answered her, quite unsure whether what he had said was true, for though he had liked the school, he can't quite say that he had been at homed already. Finnian's face lit up when he heard what it was that Amber had said, of course when it comes to plants, he would be interested, after all, that's his work right? "Of course Miss Amber, I would love to see it." He replied with a light smile, ex tending his hand, palm out to wait for her to give him the said photo of the flower.

It was a nice feeling to actually be around somebody she felt comfortable talking to again. Amber's hand had healed properly and there was nothing that ever showed her hand had been hurt at all. She was still smiling from before and she wanted to continue on with the conversation with Finnian, it had only just started and finishing the conversation now was one of the most stupid things to do in Amber's opinion. "Of course you should have tried it, it sounds so much better when you say my first name, then I don't sound like I'm a spoiled brat like some of the other students here." Amber said, she was making a joke as well as being serious, she chuckled, she thought it was funny. Amber raised an eyebrow when she noticed that Finnian was blushing, she didn't really know why but she wasn't going to ask. She just didn't feel like it was important. There were other priorities on Amber's mind anyway.

It was a trait of Amber's to make other people feel happy, so when Finnian answered her question and said he was fine, Amber didn't feel so sure. "That's good. Are you sure you're okay?" Amber asked, she wanted to make sure that Finnian was alright and asking was a sure way to find out. "Thanks a lot, Finnian." Amber said as she handed the picture to him. She really liked the flowers, they weren't you're conventional rose but they were roses and Amber really liked how classical and pretty they looked and how they would give a bit of an edge to the rose garden at home. "It's a Gallicanae Rose, they don't really look like roses but I like them." Amber said as she looked at Finnian, waiting for what his reaction might be, she hoped it would be a good one but if he didn't like them, she wouldn't mind at all. She would just be glad he gave her an honest opinion, that was what she wanted and if Finnian was being honest, it would make her happy, just like how wonderful her day had been so far.

Finnian cast his gaze down to Amber's hand, hopefully, it was properly healed now. It was his fault after all. That day when they had met was actually one of the most wonderful memories of his life, of course, he hadn't been that friendly with her, he had hurt her actually, slapping her hand away when she's just trying to help, yet, because of the incident too, Finnian ha gain a new friend, a real one at that. Amber had once told him that he needed to have friends, those who wouldn't get him into any trouble, and hopefully, he'll really find those persons. "You're not spoiled Ms. Amber, you're quite responsible actually..." He said softly, thinking back at how the girl was able to come up with sound and just decisions, not taking into account all of her personal feelings, it was quite a hard feat to do, for certainly, Finnian cannot do such thing.

Finnian nodded his head when Amber tried to make sure if he was fine, of course, he is fine, he's just not used yet with this new surrounding. "Yes, I just happen to get lost a lot.." He said with a light smile, thinking of how Amber had actually seen him, when he was just waiting for anyone to arrive for him to ask some information about their common room. Looking at the photo handed to him, Finnian cannot help but to smile once more, the rose was beautiful of course, not like those that he would typically see in the gardens, but still, it had this certain niceness as well as elegance in it. It's petals were much more wider and more elegantly arranged than that of a typical rose, and that made it more beautiful. "They're pretty Ms. Amber, I'm sure that it would make the manor's garden more beautiful and exquisite than before." He remarked honestly, nodding his head as if agreeing with his own statement, he would surely love to plant those flowers and watch them grow, it would be really fun.

Seeing Finnian again was so wonderful for Amber, she liked talking to him when she had met him, minus the fact that Finnian was being distant and all. Amber was the kind of person to look past that, which is what she did. She didn't mind if Finnian was being distant then. At least he was talking to her now without being as distant as before. This was a good thing for her. "I try my best." Amber said before she flipped her hair, she was trying to be funny but knowing her, she would fail at it. She had never been the kind of person to make somebody laugh, she was the kind of person to make somebody feel cared for, so why was she trying to be funny now? She had no idea at all.

Smiling at Finnian as he smiled a little, it was that small smile Finnian had a lot. Whenever he smiled like that, Amber always wanted to make him smile more, She wanted to brighten up his day. The bad thing was, she never knew how. "Oh, Are you lost right now?" Amber asked, with a concerned tone to her voice. If Finnian was actually lost, Amber wouldn't hesitate in helping him find where he needed to go. She knew where pretty much everything in the castle was anyway. "I do like them, I will make sure that you will plant them though, I will tell my mother and father after I get home foe the holidays this year." Amber stated, she was hoping that Finnian still worked at her house, he probably was but asking couldn't hurt. "I'm guessing you still work there, right?" She asked, tilting her head to the side again as she usually did when asking a question.

Seeing someone that he knew at last, was really a relief for Finnian. Being rather distant and quiet, he had never really gained a lot of friends, in fact, he would always go straight to his room whenever their classes were over. He didn't know why, but, no matter how hard he tried to force himself to talk to those random students, he still can't. "And you're doing really good." Finnian said, it came of naturally from him it seemed, to actually compliment someone, he can do that smoothly. People might feel awkward and embarrassed when someone compliments them, but Finnian wasn't fully aware of that, he wasn't even aware that Amber might feel rather embarrassed because of what he had said.

When asked whether he was lost, Finnian cannot help but to flush a light shade of pink that it was barely noticeable if one wouldn't look at it that well, "I am." He replied, knowing that he might have sounded pathetic for getting lost, again. He cannot help it though, the castle changes too much for him. "Yes ms. Amber, I do still work in your manor, and it will be my honor to plant those flowers if you requested me to." He said politely, already thinking of ways at which he can arrange those flowers in the garden, of course, it might take a while by then, and he would surely need some help, but being the dutiful servant that he was, he'll surely do his best.

Amber laughed at Finnian's compliment. She had been compliments before, a whole lot actually. It was mostly her wealth or manners. Not for something like Finnian had actually complimented her for, it was refreshing for her and she couldn't help but blush. "Thanks. You're really responsible too. Considering you're working as young as you are." Amber said, this was her attempt to compliment him back but she had a feeling that she would probably be epically failing. This was something she had done a lot since she had been at wizarding school. She was able to take a compliment but it was harder for her to think of one back and it was unsaid manners that made you say something nice back when you're complimented. It was something Amber couldn't help at all.

Hearing Finnian admit he was lost Made Amber's instinct to help come forward. She wanted to help him to where he needed to go and if Finnian would be okay with that then she would help as much as possible. "Where do you need to go? I can help you get there if you want." Amber said, she knew most of the places in the castle, since she had grown up in a big house she was used to knowing where everything was quickly. Her curious instinct was part of that too. "I will, although you will probably have to plant them anyway, seeing as you're the newest member of staff." Amber said as she added a shrug. This was true. It was a relief though. The fact that Finnian didn't mind planting them. This made her smile.

Finnian was a bit curious as to why Amber had reddened a little, nevertheless, he decided not to comment on it, it might be just a trick of light then, a trick that was being played on him. Amber's compliment was something that he had already heard a lot of times before, but hearing it from someone around his age, it had a different impact. For when it were the adults who were complimenting him, he cannot help but think that they were just doing it just for the sake of it, that they were just doing it so he would feel good, which he doesn't. Finnian's not the type who like to be praised a lot, it makes him rather uncomfortable. "Thank you." He said shortly, he was sincere though, he really appreciated what it was that she had just said.

"Oh, I'm just looking for the hufflepuff common room, I do know that it was around this floor but I just can't find the entrance." He said slowly, feeling rather embarrassed for not knowing how to get to the house that he had been sorted too. Now that he had thought about it, he had never asked where Amber was placed, had he? "I'll take care of them Ms. Amber."

The first year Hufflepuff understood why Finnian must have gotten lost, it was a big castle and they were both only first years, she didn't think any less of him for it. Honestly, she actually assumed that most first years got lost when they started to attend wizarding school. If they didn't, the would most likely be considered weird, like her. Or she thought she was weird at least. Weirdly normal. Amber was a little too normal for her liking, she was blaming it on how 'perfect' she was supposed to be all the time. She had been brought up to be like an adult, Finnian already knew this, or she thought he knew this by how she acted the first time they had met and quite frankly, she felt guilty for it. Amber couldn't explain why she felt guilty for being how she was, she just did. If she could explain it, she wouldn't feel as guilty, would she? "You're welcome." Amber said back to him, it was short and sweet, just like the last thing Finnian said. Which was a simple thank you.

Tilting her head to the side, yet again. Amber smiled. He couldn't find the Hufflepuff common room. She knew exactly where it was and she wouldn't hesitate to show him where it was. But Amber had a feeling that would end their conversation and that was something she didn't want. She hoped that Finnian felt the same but if she was in his situation, she would be thinking more about getting to the common room instead of talking to a girl, a girl who was the heiress to the estate where he worked. Luckily for Amber, Finnian was talking to her, she was thankful for that, even if Finnian might be thinking more about where he was supposed to be than the conversation itself. "Oh, I know where it is. Do you want me to show you?" Amber asked, she was a little angry with herself, that last question was sure to end the conversation then and there. She was doing the right thing but she didn't want to do the right thing, not now but she still did it anyway. "That's good. I hope you will have fun planting them when we assign you and a few other gardeners the job." Amber stated, she was trying to hide how angry she was with herself, but you can never tell how good people are at hiding what they are feeling.

Finnian wasn't sure whether he would really want to return to his room now and be alone once more, that would mean that once again, the day would pass without him having anything better to do. It might have probably been better if he had just opted to stay in the manor, at least, he knew the place by heart already, and at least, he had lots of things to do there, unlike this place, where in all he could ever do was just to go around, read books, attend classes, eat, and sleep. A daily routine that he was getting rather tired of, yet, he did know that he cannot just leave could he? He was there to learn, at least now, he would be able to experience the things that normal kids do. "If it wouldn't be a bother.." He said, bowing lightly. It was a little disappointment in his part though, that instead of him helping her like he was supposed to, it was her who was doing the helping.

"Ms. Amber, if you wouldn't mind me asking, where are you sorted?" He was quite sure that she might be a ravenclaw or a hufflepuff just like him, though, it might have been better if it was the latter. Yes, the puffs were friendly enough, but he was just not that comfortable to talk around them, if she was there, then he would have someone to talk to and of course, he would have something to do then, do his job of helping her as much as he can. Looking at Amber once more, Finnian could feel that she was rather irritated or so, he wasn't sure why though, was it because of something that he had said or was it because of something else? "Are you alright?" He asked without really intending to do so.

Amber knew that Finnian wanted to go to the common room. Well, she had assumed so. When Finnian replied to her question, she quietly sighed. It wasn't that obvious if noticeable at all. This meant that she had to show him where the common room was now. She couldn't escape it. It was now her duty to show him where it was so he could continue on with his day without giving it a second thought. That as why she didn't want to show him. But the mature thing to do and the right thing to do was show him to the common room and do her best to make sure he wasn't lost again. This brought on her next statement. "It's not a bother at all. Would you like to go now?" Amber was reluctant but she had to put her duty before herself. It was how she was raised and she wasn't about to change it now. Especially since Finnian worked at her mansion and if she refused to show him to where he needed to be after she had offered to help, he could tell her parents and she didn't want to get into trouble. She probably wouldn't anyway, they were too busy with work to notice anything she did.

It was a little surprising and amusing for Amber when Finnian asked where she had been sorted. She thought it was obvious by her school robes that she was in Hufflepuff. That's why she continued to ignore her anger and chuckled quietly "I'm in Hufflepuff, can't you tell by my uniform?" Amber asked, referring to what she was wearing. She already knew that Finnian was in Hufflepuff by his uniform, noticing the details of what a person was wearing was something she always did, she didn't do it to judge people, she did it so she could somewhat analyse a person before she talked to them, so she knew what to say and what not to say. It was something somebody reasonably smart and interested in fashion would do, somebody like her. When Finnian asked if she was alright, Amber nodded and quietly uttered the short word "Yes." She didn't want to burden him with her anger, it had nothing to do with him and she wouldn't bring him into something that would have a negative impact on him.

"Not really, I'm not in a hurry anyway." Finnian said when Amber asked whether he would want to go back to the hufflepuff common room then, it's not like he had anything to do there after all. It would have probably be better if he would just stay around and just talk to Amber, after all, he couldn't just talk to her freely when they were at the manor, could he? Back in the manor, he was a servant, and she was the heiress, they had a huge gap in them, that's why it is rally inappropriate for him to talk to her too casually, but here in school, though their positions hadn't changed, the settings and the area makes the gap a little smaller, he need not to worry about what the other servants would say to him then. But then again, it might have been that he was the only one who would be fine if they would just stay there, it might have been that Amber was busy with things that she needed to do, he didn't ask her, did he? "Do you have somewhere that you needed to go to? Or something that you needed to do?"

Of course, it was really pathetic of him to have not noticed that Amber was wearing the exact same uniform as him, only, hers was that of the female counter part of his. Why did he even ask? Now, he looked more oblivious than he was before, first, he was lost, and now, he had asked the most obvious question that one could have asked. "I'm sorry." He said before he could even stop himself, he was a little embarrass now, he's not being as observant as he was supposed to be anyways. When Amber said that she was fine, Finnian didn't know whether he should actually believe her or not, there was just something that tells him that she was not fine at all, but he couldn't just go around and say that he didn't believe her, right?

It was once Finnian had said that he wasn't in a hurry when Amber started to feel better. She was putting him first, she usually put other people first, so if he wanted to stay and talk, Amber would stay and talk with him. It was a good thing for her that he said that he was able to stay, because she wanted to talk to him more and Amber was the kind of girl that could get pretty much everything she wanted if she just asked, but she never asked. She wasn't one to be judgemental of other people because of their family or anything similar. It was her choice not to be like the other wealthy students at her school, it wasn't anything that anybody else imposed on her, it was her choice and she was going to stick by it. "That's good. I didn't want to stop talking to you anyway." Amber said, it was an honest statement. This was another thing she chose to do, be as honest as she could, unless it had the possibility of making another person hurt or irritated or anything of the sort. "I don't have anywhere to be at all, I have nothing to do." Amber said, she sounded surprisingly dignified. Even she thought it was a tad off. She ignored it though, she had more important things to worry about.

When Finnian apologized for asking her what house she had been sorted into, Amber smiled, it wasn't because she was amused, it was because she cared. It was a warm smile, one that Amber used when Consoling somebody who was in a bad mood. Finnian wasn't in a bad mood, Amber would tell he was just embarrassed. Still, she continued to smile in the warm, motherly way she was used to, while she said her next words "You don't have to apologize for asking what house I'm in. It's not that big of a deal." Amber said, sounding more normal than she expected those words to sound. She said them in a way that said how you were kind for apologizing but you don't really need to. Which is what she meant by the words. That was how she heard them, she would expect Finnian to take them in the same way, different people react to things differently.

It was such a relief in Finnian's opinion when Amber had actually told him that she had nothing to do at all. At least, he was not assured that he was, in no other way, bothering her. It would be pretty bad if he was indeed stopping her from doing what it was that she had wanted to do. He had always been like that it seemed. He didn't like to be a burden to anyone, he didn't like to be the one to always ask help from someone, he didn't like being pitied at all. "Thank you." He knew that those words was probably not enough to convey that he was really happy that Amber had wanted to stay and talk to him, he just couldn't find the right words to say.

Amber's statement was something that had comforted Finnian a bit. He had always viewed her as someone who had that sort of effect on people, like it was just too easy for her to make others feel welcomed and comfortable, that was something that was rather admirable in his opinion. Amber was really kind it seemed, and now that he had actually thought about it, he felt rather guilty for what he had done to her the first time that they had met, he had been rather cold by then, too distant and closed off in his opinion too. Glancing down a little at her hand once more, he couldn't help but wonder if she had forgotten about the said incident already, and of course, about what had actually happened to the head gardener.

Sighing was something Amber only did when she was frustrated, confused or unsure. That was why when she sighed, she couldn't explain it. It was somehow, and in some unusual way, soothing. Like she was letting some sort of anxiety out, but Amber didn't have any anxiety at all, then why was this so weird to her? If only she could answer that question herself. "You are again, welcome." Amber said, with her natural kind smile, it was something she couldn't help, smiling kindly. Her various nannies had told her growing up that she would always be s good mother, and Amber had noticed this when she was around her friends, the ones that she didn't really have. "So, how has your day been?" Amber asked, attempting to start up a normal and casual conversation with Finnian, a conversation in which she would have to get used to having. If she was being her formal self in school, it would guarantee her no friends for a while, she assumed so at least.

When Finnian wasn't saying anything, Amber worried if anything was wrong, this was her nurturing personality taking over again, Amber didn't mind. If it was a bad thing to be caring, than Finnian would just have to deal. "Are you okay?" Amber asked, if she wanted to know what was wrong or if there was anything wrong at all, asking was a sure fire way to find out. If Finnian didn't answer honestly, like she had done before, than she would assume that she had done something wrong. She didn't think she had done anything wrong but people react differently to things, like when Finnian hurt her the first time they had met. Amber had forgotten about it and forgiven him, it was just a memory now, and nothing more than that. The anger that Amber had directed at herself earlier was completely gone now, well, Amber thought it was completely gone, she didn't feel angry anymore, she didn't feel any feelings of discomfort either. This was a good thing, obviously. She just needed to know now wether or not Finnian was okay and if she needed to help him more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back