Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Wand
Knotted 9 Inch Rigid Laurel Wand with Boomslang venom Core
Mervyn had been suffering from a lot of ailments and injuries this year: a sore throat, a twisted ankle, a debilitating case of hiccups, etc. etc. Of course, it was purely coincidental that he had been incapacitated on all of the days he was supposed to be patrolling with Sapphire. He was running out of ideas, however, and had finally resigned himself to joining her. He wasn't sure why he kept up with all this prefect nonsense; it wasn't as if he gained anything meaningful for his troubles. But he liked the badge, and the ability to boss little Gryffindors around, so he certainly wasn't giving up his status just to avoid Sapphire, no matter how awkward it was to bump into her.

They had been walking in silence for some time, Mervyn with his hands stuffed in his pockets. He was doing very well not to look at her, finding infinite fascination in the walls and the floor instead. Just half an hour more of this, and he was free.

Sapphire had known from the beginning Mervyn was a terrible liar. And she had known he would do this. She sighed softly. This was ridiculous. She couldnt blame him for being nervous. She had decked him. He had been right and she had sucker punched him. Things had been going about how she had expected. And it was really making her mad. With a half hour left, she stopped in her tracks and blew a bobble. As it popped, she turned to her patrol partner for the first time. "Alright, that's it. This is idiotic." She relaxed, putting her hands behind her head and interlocking her fingers. "Let's just go back to being friends. You were right and I shouldn't have punched you. But we had a good thing going before Nyx and his nonsense got in my head. Let's just ignore that bit." She popped her gum. "Whatcha think, loony? Truce?" She offered.

Mervyn had walked several paces ahead before he realised Sapphire had stopped. He turned around, pretending to look as if he had no idea what she was talking about. He couldn't keep it up. The mask slipped, and guilt clouded his face. He'd never apologised for the things he'd said - things he hadn't even meant. Making Sapphire hate him had been the only way he could think of to protect himself, but in hindsight, it hadn't been worth it. He'd been selfish. Thinking only of himself. The trouble was, he'd waited so long to say sorry that it had become too hard to swallow his pride. It was almost humiliating that after all this time, Sapphire was the one suggesting a truce. "Yeah, whatever," he mumbled, turning away. It wouldn't work. He would never be able to forgive himself for the way he'd treated her. "Friends."

Sapphire rolled her eyes and followed after him. "Oh, stop pouting. Nyx got a boyfriend that is impossibly less respectful of boundaries than he is. They're almost always together and when they aren't Nyx is too busy pouting." She shook her head, blowing another bubble. "I didnt think there was anyone that could outdo my brother. I suppose the universe meant that as a challenge and sent Chrysander Kaster to prove me wrong."

In spite of everything, Mervyn couldn't help the smile that crept onto his face. He had missed Sapphire. Maybe friendship wasn't the worst idea in the world. It was just going to take some getting used to - again. "Least 'e's 'appy," Mervyn murmured, still feeling a little gloomy. He'd been thinking a lot lately about relationships. Everybody else seemed to be in one, which made him feel he ought to be as well, and yet the idea didn't appeal to him. "Choo been up to, then?"

Sapph popped another bubble. She already knew that she was always going to adore Mervyn, but knowing it made it easier to ignore. They'd made a pretty good team back in the day. She had missed his friendship. She could handle just having that. Besides, she had Frankie now- wait, no she didn't. That was a weird thought. She shrugged it off. "The usual." She said in response to Mervyn. "Quidditch, school, ducking around my overly affectionate brother." She grinned. "What about you?"

Approval ID : 88964

Mervyn wondered whether to tell Sapphire about his situation. He trusted her, but that wasn't the problem. Nobody, not even Leda, knew that he had been living in hotels for the last two holidays, nor that his money had run out and there was a good chance he'd be spending next winter on the streets. His stomach turned at the thought. No. He couldn't tell Sapphire. She wouldn't be able to help, and she'd only pity him, which certainly wouldn't make him feel better. "Yeah, nuffin' much," he said, stuffing his hands back in his pockets and looked down at the floor. "Lookin' at jobs, 'n' stuff. Might drop out, mightn't I? When I'm old enough." He hadn't really put much thought into that, but it was on his mind, and he was curious to see what Sapphire thought of the idea.

Sapphire stopped in her tracks as Mervyn's words sunk in. "What?" She asked, voice flat. "You mean we make up and decide to be friends and you decide to drop out?" She sighed heavily. "Nothing I can say would stop you, not that I like it." She ran a hand through her hair. "Fine then. You and Leds are coming to my house for winter break. We've got a guest room. Chrysander will no doubt be sleeping in Nyx's room, I'll need some company." She nodded decisively. She started walking again. "So why are you going to drop out? Having just Leda here would be weird as hell, you know that, right? The two of you are iconic. It would be a shame to separate you."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back