Third Years, Lesson Two

Today was an different lesson than usual. And the way the lesson was gonna be was something which he was curious to how that would turn out to be. Noel sat behind his desk and greeted the first students walking in with an friendly smile. He was usually confident about his qualities but today's subject to the third years, he wondered if he was the right person to do so. But it was something which was part of his job. The subject of werewolves was a tricky one and today's open discussion would no doubt make it even trickier. He could only hope that the third years would be respectful towards each other, though figured that if need be, he could always jump it and take control of the situation. Because respect was something which he thought of as very important. Hopefully, he wouldn't have to be strict. He waited for the last of the students to walk into the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom before he closed the door behind him.

''Good morning, everyone. You may remember that I told you that we would be having an open discussion about today's subject in today's class.'' Noel than stood up and walked to the front of his desk, sitting on the edge. And made himself ready to start. ''By now, you should have read the chapter about werewolves. I'm looking forwards to your questions, so I hope that everyone came to class prepared. But before we get into the open respectfull discussion, there are a few things we need to review first.'' He waved his wand at the blackboard to make an image of a werewolf appear along with some notes on them. ''I want to begin by saying that werewolves are people, that they are witches and wizards just like you and me. While I hope that I shouldn't have to tell you this, some in the wizarding community do not recognise this fact.'' He paused.

WEREWOLVES

giphy.gif
  • Lycanthropy: a condition which causes the transformation of a person into a werewolf during the full moon​
  • Lycanthrope: Official term for werewolf. One can be infected with lycanthropy when the saliva of a person in werewolf form enters the bloodstream of another​
  • Applying a mixture of powdered silver and dittany to a werewolf bite can help prevent death, however, the person who is bitten will live on with lycanthropy​
  • Wolfsbane Potion: Remedy, not a cure for lycanthropy. Contains wolfsbane as the main ingredient (also known as monkshood or aconite)​

Noel glanced behind him towards the blackboard. ''If you have read the chapter on werewolves then you will know by now that there is no cure for lycanthropy. There is a way to alleviate the worst symptoms of this affliction but is it rather expensive.'' He explained, giving them an moment to write along. ''The Wolfsbane Potion helps the werewolf to hold on to their mental faculties after a transformation, meaning that they get to keep their human consciousness while in their animal form. This potion is extremely difficult to brew, however, and needs to be taken for a week prior to the full moon. The combination of difficulty and expensiveness often makes it so that people afflicted with lycanthropy can't take this potion. If there are any aspiring potioneers among us, you'd do well to learn how to brew this particular potion.'' Noel looked around the classroom and could tell in an instant that some students were getting restless.

''Werewolves have been subject to prejudice at all levels of society. Over the years, those with this condition have been subject to Anti-Werewolf Legislation and discrimination in employment. Depending on the school, children with this condition have been prevented from pursuing a magical education. This occurs even today, unfortunately. Thankfully, the treatment of werewolves in the magical community has improved over the past half-century, and opportunities for this group have expanded.'' He took a deep breath. ''But it's not perfect, and depending on who you'd ask, not enough. I encourage all of you to become familiar with this subject, as it will make up a significant portion of your exam. As always, you can always go to the library or come to me for recommendations for further reading on werewolves.'' He than walked through the classroom and looked to the students beside him. ''Now, I would like to give all of you the chance to ask your questions and comments. You may ask anything you wish, but I want it to be respectful.'' Noel than said and was really serious about that fact. But students had different opinions for sure, and they could have. But respect needed to be there. He than saw a hand in front of him and gave the student the opportunity to start off.

Roleplay the lesson. To receive full credit, your character must ask a question or make a comment related to the lesson. If it is out-of-character for your student to speak up in class, you may alternatively roleplay the student dropping off a written question or comment to the professor.

Morrie wasn't in the mood for any lesson today, let alone one about werewolves. She spent it half listening and doodling on the edge of her parchment. When the professor opened the floor for questions and comments, Morrie let him skip over her as she had no questions and if she did, they wouldn't be respectful. Instead, she was looking forward to the moment they were dismissed and she could leave the classroom since she didn't want to be here anyway.

Kyousuke thought that werewolves was an interesting subject - thereotically. They were dangerous, in his opinion, though he understood they were people as well. In all honesty, he thought it'd make an interesting subject for a play - a man who becomes a lycanthrope and how he deals with his first full moon. Add in a love interest, perhaps. Kyousuke shook himself out of his thoughts. It was time for the lesson, time to pay attention.

He took notes as the professor talked, noting the more somber atmosphere in the room. When it was time for questions and comments, Kyousuke thought carefully about what he'd say. It had to sound intelligent - that was the pertinent thing. "Given the history of injustice towards werewolves, I think any legislation that comes through the ministry involving werewolves should be made consulting werewolf groups and have their input." Kyousuke thought that sounded both reasonable and smart, and was therefore rather proud of himself, waiting for the next person to speak and daring them to surpass him.

Hazel hadn't read the entire chapter on werewolves, but she had skimmed through it and was fairly sure she knew the gist. She hadn't really prepared anything, depending on her smarter classmates to lead the discussion. The profssor gave them a bit more information, reminding them that they were people and wizards and witches just like them. Hazel knew and understood that, but she wasn't sure if she could blame people for being scared. She took a few notes, noting down the information about the Wolfsbane Potion. It was a shame there wasn't any cure. Then it was time for the discussion, and Hazel looked around curiously. Kyousuke was the first to speak up, and Hazel barely understood what he said. It sure sounded smart, though. She raised her hand hesitantly. "Um. Are there many werewolves? Like, how likely are we to run into one?" She asked.

Apolline walked into the defence against the dark arts classroom and took her usual spot in the room. She glanced towards the professor as the man got started. She had done a lot of reading about it and was ready for it. Though Apolline started by first taking down what the professor had on the board about it. Then he said a little bit more on it, which she was keen to get down and then the conversation got started, and for a little bit Apolline just listened to what other people were saying rather than jumping in immediately. "I think Kyousuke is right, the ministry should consult werewolf groups, and the laws should be on the side of providing them with equal rights and protection against discrimination."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back