The Text Books Are Wrong!

Merlina Caliburn

OOC First Name
Linda
Wand
Eucalyptus Wand 13 1/2" Essence of Mermaid Scale
Merlina Caliburn was fed up of being second best at everything and too everyone. She was clever and witty and pretty, though the last one had only crept up slowly on her over the past year or so. In fact she didn't consider herself as pretty at all, pretty girls at least got the boy. She was not pretty enough or smart enough to get him and it bothered her no end.

Thoughts of Ryuu flitted through her mind as she lit the fire under her cauldron and prepared the ingredients for the felix felicis. She had to get it right, she simply had too. If ever there was a time in her life when she needed a spot of good luck it was now, leading up to the infernal yule dance. The very thought of Ryuu going with Carmen enraged her. Why did he have to be in the auction? Tossing some dried shamrock into the cauldron along with some other ingredients that were written in the book, Merlina stirred and stirred. Her heart wasn't in it because it was far away where ever Ryuu was and yet she still hoped that the potion would be successful. She needed this desperately, nothing else was working for her. He had her explaining the finer points of love to him much to her own detriment. Didn't he realise how much it pained her daily to be so close to him and not have him feel anything for her? Obviously not and though she was bitter today about it, she knew that come the morning she would be fine again.

She couldn't help having days where she felt the bottom had come out of the barrel completely but at least today she had managed to have the brainwave of brewing up the bottle of luck potion. Her gaze shifted to the cauldron and for the first time in ages Merlina swore loudly. It didn't even look golden but more a mustard yellow gunk! Levitating the cauldron in a fit of temper she sent it hurdling through the air until it connected with the wall. The sound reverberated about the room as Merlina sank to her knees. It was all hopeless!

Ariah was in a very weird mood today, which was sort of saying something because most people found her to be a little weird almost every day. It all started this morning when she insisted in wearing a bright Orange shirt this morning when clearly everyone knew she detested the color with a burning passion. For breakfast she skipped her usual piece of toast or two and instead had some sausage which she also hated with burning passion, even more than she hated the color Orange. And when she tried to take her usual nap with Levi like the two of them had been doing recently she found herself unable to sleep or even force herself to become tired really. Obviously she was just having a very off day today, since Ariah was never one to question the things she did she merely shrugged all the weird things she had done today off and assumed that she just wanted to be different. She probably could have blamed it on hormones too but that couldn't be it because she wasn't feeling moody at all while she did these things. In the end she just wrote it off as her wanting to do something different for a change, she wanted a new routine, a new feeling, even maybe a new face for her to get to know. Ariah was a new person so she might as well try to except new things as much as possible. After a walk around the upper Corridors Ariah headed back to the Dungeons slowly, her Ugg boots scuffing across the floor with every step she took. About halfway to the Slytherin Common room she heard a loud noise, loud enough to make her stop and raise an eyebrow at the doorway that would probably lead to the source of the noise. 'Might as well see whats up.' The blonde thought to herself as she heard over to where she heard the noise from, just as Ariah made it into the room she saw a Cauldron connect with the wall right next to where the doorway that she was standing in. Ariah let out a frightened yelp and let her mint green eyes widen at the girl who must have been the source for the Cauldron hitting the well.

"Well..I'm not expert but I can tell you right now...that is one way not to make a Potion." She cracked a small smile to let the girl know she was joking around, she didn't want to upset her anymore then she already seemed to be and probably get hit for it. Reaching down she carefully picked up the cauldron and placed it back onto the place where a fire must have been lit not too long ago. Once it was back up she turned to look at the mess that it had made, what on earth was the girl trying to make? "Are you okay? And erm..what on earth were you making?" Ariah was pretty good at Potions, nowhere near as good as she was at Herbology but it was something she had a lot of fun doing and managed to do it well. But this potion looked really gross and not at all like something one would want to drink. Once more mint green colored eyes locked onto the girl carefully, she seemed familiar.

Turning at the sound of the other voice, Merlina saw a beautiful blonde haired girl before her. Just what she needed to see when her luck had once again run out! With a sigh she took out her wand and began to clean up as much as she possibly could.
"I'm okay, I'm always okay. I look okay, I feel okay. My life is ... okay!" she felt as if she were exploding from the inside out, as if one more crap break in her life was simply one too many. What was the point of nearly making headway with Ryuu if nothing really came of it? Was she reaching for the moon when she should have been happy with simply the stars? Bending down on to her knees she tried her best not to look up at the beautiful girl, another reminder of her own shortcomings. Cropped black hair, a petite body that looked neither feminine or masculine. She resembled some androgynous elf and would love to have looked even a small bit like her cousin Romy who had boys falling at her feet. Of course much of that could also be attributed to her werewolf animal magnetism but Merlina didn't see it that way.

"I was making or trying to make liquid luck" she waved her wand at a few patches of debris cleaning them up as effectively as possible before turning her attention to the mulch that was supposed to have being her potion and siphoned it off the floor with the tip of her wand, "but I think I need luck just to be able to make the potion properly"
Standing up again she picked the cauldron up with her and placed it back on the table before glancing at the girl. She recognised her from some of her classes but could not remember the girls name.
"You're a fourth year too aren't you?" she really had to pay more attention in class and not just to the professor, though judging by her paltry attempt that could do with an improvement too.

Ariah raise an eyebrow at the girl who seemed to be a little upset about something but really Ariah was confused as to what the poor thing seemed to be upset about. "Is there something wrong with being okay?" The blonde eyes softly as her big mint green eyes glanced at the girl worriedly, for as long she was concerned she thought something being okay was a good thing but this girl seemed to be upset over it. Then again she was also one not to focus on appearance or anything along those sorts because it barely mattered to her much these days. She was just someone who was merely there and lived life the way she wanted and if people came along that liked her, thought she was pretty, loved her, or anything like that was welcome to do so because she wasn't going to go out looking for them. "Err...is it anything you want to talk about?" The least Ariah could do was see if she could maybe help the girl at all especially if it came needed some form of advice because Ariah was usually good at giving it. Except when it came to love advice because really she was bad when it came to relationships plus she never really needed to worry about them when she had Leviathan. Then again it might have been her lack of knowledge in romance that made her and Leviathan seem to have a little bit of an issue getting closer.

"Why would you want to make a difficult Potion like that?" Liquid luck was an extremely valuable Potion but also very hard to make to the point where it was drinkable so it was very uncommon for someone their age to attempt and make it. Since Ariah had already been feeling out of it today she tried to think about why anyone would want to rake a Potion like that. Unless their life sucked or something like that. "Um yeah, you are too right? I've seen you around." Ariah answered once the girl asked if she was a Fourth Year all well. Hopefully this girl would not decide to suddenly be mean to her or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back