The Return of the Dementors.

Hollie Ridley

Wand
'Holly Wand 11" Essence of Phoenix Feather'
[[ok. let's get this very clear. This is not an amazing piece of work. I have written much better stuff, just not HNZ related, hence the reason it is not on here. I was very bored and just decided to write this, for some unknown reason. please give feedback not necessarily on the story line, but on the writing. thanks :) ]]

Hermione was at the park with her old muggle friends when the sky went black and the air cold. She shivered and the group of friends drew closer together, clearly frightened by the unknown source of the sudden darkness.

"What's going on?"
That was the voice of Lauren, her old primary school friend. How long ago that was!

"Ouch, that was my foot!"
"Sorry."

Hermione rolled her eyes at the bitty arguments made by her friends. She hadn't seen them in ages, and all they could do was argue. Typical. But then again, they were ordinary teenagers, on the brink of adulthood, entering into the scary stage when they would pay their own bills, raise their own children, and get on with life. Their life.
And that's what they thought she was, too. Which, in some ways, Hermione was. Typical teenager, in a secure relationship, just 19. But it all depended on what they assumed normal. For example, a witch who had just 'graduated' from a wizardy school name Hogwarts who had just secured a job at the Ministry of Magic and was dating a boy named Ron Weasley was not Hermione's definition. Not even close.

Her hand gripped the wand inside her jeans pocket as the sense of insecurity increased. Hermione hadn't experienced drama of any sort since her best friend Harry had successfully vanquished Voldemort of all his power - and life. She smiled at the memory of the week-long celebration she had attended, hand in hand with Harry's right-hand man, Ron Weasley. Who was also Hermione's boyfriend.

Her smile vanished instantly as the black creature - or creatures - drew closer. Dementors. Oh, fabulous. Just what she needed whilst out with muggle friends. Defenceless.
The black-hooded... thing... looked in need of a kiss. A dementor's kiss. The memory of the dementors in Hogsmede flashed through Hermione's mind, making the knuckles on her right hand whiten as she clutched her wand tighter still. A white stag chased the memory away and Hermione smiled once more as she remembered the symbolic patronus of her friend.
That bought her back to her focus. At first she was surprised that her friends expressed no fright at the creatures less than 10 metres away, but her intelligence then returned as she remembered that muggles couldn't see these things. However, there was no doubt they could sense them.

"What's that?"
"What's what?"
"That... coldness. I'm freezing!"
"That's because it's November in England. You surely don't expect warmth, idiot."
"No - I can't remember anything... happy. I can only see my sister dying in hospital..."
"Oh shut up, keep your miseries to yourself!"

Hermione heard Lauren's snuffle and decided to intervene.
"No Tom, she's right. There's something there!"

Oh please go away! she pleaded, inwardly. I'm not supposed to use magic around muggles.
But dementors had never listened to the pleas of a 19 year old girl before, and it didn't appear they were going to start now. With what Hermione imagined as a grin across their mysterious 'faces', the dementors advanced. She knew she had no time.

Ripping out her wand, she thought of the happy weeks that had followed Voldemort's downfall, and, praying that Kingsley Shacklebolt as Minister would understand, yelled,
"EXPECTO PATRONUM!"
The force of the patronus erupted, and Hermione's otter burst forth, charging at the dementors. the white light lit up the stunned expressions on her friends' faces, and Hermione gulped with guilt. They were probably terrified stiff.

It appeared to have worked. The dementor/s slowed, stunned, and then flew away out of sight, chased by the otter. Hermione breathed a sigh of relief as her otter then dissolved into thin air. Closing her eyes, she breathed in the victory, gritted her teeth together, and turned to face her muggle friends and explain.

"Look guys, I'm really sorry about that, I can explain..." She began, but was interrupted.
"What language was that?" James asked, rudely, staring at her. "That... Expecto Patronio... you know what I mean. It sounded... Greek?"
Lauren laughed.
"Greek?" she snorted, sceptically. "Yeah, sure."
Hermione sighed. This was gonna be much more difficult than she'd previously thought. They were more interested in the language, for goodness sake!
"Look, I can explain everything..."
"No don't bother," James interjected, again. "I don't wanna hear about the weird nanotechnology that is, or whatever scientific word your gonna spring on us this time, i just wanna know where you can get one of them." His eyes gleamed as he pointed towards the wand in Hermione's right hand.
There was silence. She looked at the wand in frustration.
"What do you mean?" she asked, angry now. What do you think it is? she added, silently.
James sighed, frustrated now too.
"Well, I dunno!" he exploded, his eyes still on the wand. "It's something scientific, right? Whatever it is, it's cool, and I want one."
"Well, that's next to impossible."
"Why?" he demanded, eyes wide with indignation.
Hermione groaned. "Just give it a rest please," she said, turning away. "I need to go now. It's been fab seeing you all. Perhaps we can meet up again."

Just as James was about to ask yet another question, an old car drew up by the path. Hermione breathed a sigh of relief and wandered over, ready to ask Ron how his driving test had gone. Inwardly, she suspected he'd probably failed.

"Hey, how'd it go?" she asked, opening the door and jumping in. Ron, however, wasn't in the front seat.

"Fine," Harry replied, grinning. "Just about though. I wasn't that much better than Ron."
Hermione turned around to where her boyfriend was sat in the back.
"One traffic light," he croaked. "I missed one stinkin' red traffic light."
Hermione fought back a laugh. She wasn’t surprised. Turning on a sympathetic expression, she tried to comfort him.
"Oh well, never mind. You can always take it again."

He was about to make a stupid retort that would do him no good when the sky blackened once again and the atmosphere froze. Dementors. Again.
Hermione turned to Harry, numbly.
"You gonna help me this time?"
"This time?"
"Yeah. I had to do it all on my own a minute ago."
"A minute ago?!"
"Yeah. They nearly attacked my friend. I wasn't gonna let that pass."
Harry and Ron gaped at her. In the distance, someone screamed.
Hermione groaned. "I know it's not his life, and although he's really, really annoying, I don't wanna have to explain to James' parents why he has no soul. So can we move please?"

The boys reacted instantly. The three teenagers/adults clambered out of the car, wands raised. Hermione screwed up her eyes and thought of that glorious moment after Voldemort's death. The otter came much quicker this time, and when Hermione reopened her eyes she saw it was not alone, but was flanked by a silver terrier and a stag.
"Ok," Harry said, wand raised. "Let's go."
And the three of them stepped into the dark night ready to face their first drama since the one that had changed their lives forever, to save yet another lot of lives (or souls) that would once more put them in a better position for their current auror training.
The dementors had returned.

[[see? bleh. not very good, i've done MUCH better. But i never found it easy writing stories about something already written, if you get my drift.
I'd appreciated comments tho :p ]]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back