Testing the boundaries

She tried to smile and looked at him. She didn't flinch when he touched her arm, though she really wanted too. She sighed. "He died, i was young. I don't remember much, my mom wouldn't tell me how." She looked down then back up at him. "But in my opinion, he's still super man. Positions filled." She smiled and giggled slightly, trying to get in a better mood.

"What did you mean by your dad and mom forget half the time?" She asked curiously.

Beau really felt for Angela when she explained about her dad. He loved his home life and couldn't imagine how awful he'd feel if anything ever happened to his dad. He smiled, though, when she said he was super man to her. "Aw, never mind, maybe my dad can be spider man. And I just meant that mum and dad get my brothers' and sisters' names mixed up all the time. Mum's like 'Jo- Os- Wi- Te- Am- Beau!' Sometimes Dad calls me Oscar and doesn't even notice he's made a mistake. My friends think it's weird, but I'm used to it. So it's not a big deal if you forget people's names. Not for me anyway."

Just then, an owl came flying up the stairs and settled on the banister next to Angela, looking at Beau. He was surprised and looked at Angela. The only owl he'd ever had was the one that brought his letter for Hogwarts. She shrugged her shoulders (('scuse godmode)) at him so he tentatively reached out and removed the parchment from the owl's leg. He didn't really know how to do it, and was worried he'd hurt the poor bird, but it seemed to be used to it. When the parchment was free, the grey owl ruffled its feathers, shifted its weight from leg to leg a couple of times, then flew off, not waiting for a reply. Beau looked after it amazed. Could it be? His first owl from home?

He unrolled the parchment and read slowly and with difficulty.
From Mum said:
Dear Beaumont,

I hope you're settling in nicely, you can't believe how much we miss you at home. Well, except Oscar, he's well and truly taken over your room. I've told him you'll be back for holidays, but you know Oscar, he doesn't listen. Remember when we were in the pet shop just before you left for Hogwarts? Well, I decided to go ahead and buy you the owl and the puffskeins. I had to get a special delivery, as normal owls can't carry animal cages. Just make sure you're at breakfast early tomorrow morning. It should arrive just before the regular morning post. Take care of them, don't forget to feed the puffskeins every day and keep their cage clean. And bring them home for holidays, Tess and Joli will love to see them.
How's your dorm? Did you miss anything by arriving late? What's the food like? You'll have to tell me all about it. I told your aunt Nina that you are there and she can't wait to hear everything. She said she'll come down next time you're home so you can show her everything you've learned. I do hope you'll pay attention in your lessons and try not to bother your teachers too much.
Miss you and love you,
Mum, Dad, Will, Amelie, Oscar, Joli and Tess.​
P.S. Hi Beau! Mum told us she bought you three pets! No fair! You have to share with us when you're home. She said the owl's not even for you, it's for the whole family so we can send letters. I won the school cross-country! Mrs Winter said I can go to the South Island champs. Miss you, bye! Love from Joli.
Beau was a slow reader, so he got up to the point where his mum explained how Oscar had taken over their shared room and gave up. He looked up at Angela. "It's my first owl from home," he grinned, then rolled his eyes. "Mum writes like she talks; she doesn't stop!"

Angela smiled at Beau. She didn't get how he could understand her so well, without thinking any less of her. Back home so many people hated her because her family was not as tight nit as theirs was. it had been hard for her to make friends, and even if she did, she could never keep them. She knew Hogwarts would be different, she already had friends, and a few crushes. She giggled when Beau mentioned that his dad could be Spiderman, and laughed even harder at him talking about the name mix up.

"I actually understand that. My great Aunt Maggie always called me by names like Mary Sue."
She giggled. "She was just old though.

She was about to continue when an owl flew in with a note. Her mouth dropped open, she had never seen an owl do that before. Beau read it over slowly, she assumed it was a long not. Angela wasn't one to intrude on privacy, so she waited until he finnished. When he mentioned it was from home, she was glad she hadn't looked.

"really, that sounds like my Aunt Sarah, she loves to talk."

Beau liked talking to Angela. She was funny and easy to talk to. He wanted to keep talking, but he also really wanted to read his letter. He was terribly embarrassed about his dyslexia and hated reading around other people. It was the only time he liked to be alone, and even then, he didn't particularly like it because it meant reading, which was so difficult for him. It was a necessary evil though.

He smiled, "Well, if my mum ever meets your aunt Sarah, we'll leave them to it then and they can talk as much as they like." He looked at the rolled parchment in his hand again. "Uh, my mum probably wants me to write back straight away, so I should probably go..." he didn't want Angela to feel like he was just trying to get away. He watched her face, trying to judge if she was offended or not.

She smiled and nodded. "That's a marvelous idea!" She giggled. She had to laugh, only because she used a big word. She always hated being smart. He mentioned something about having to go, and she nodded and shrugged. "That's fine, tell her i say hi." Obviously she was joking, she didn't know his mom. "I'll talk to you later then?" She asked, starting to back away already.

Beau smiled genuinely at Angela. "Yeah, maybe I'll see you in class." He waved as he turned around and let his skateboard drop to the floor. He pushed off and rolled the short distance to the Hufflepuff common room entrance. Grinning at the portrait, he said the password and slipped inside, eager to find somewhere quiet where he could set about trying to decipher his letter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back