Starving Slytherin

Sterling Staton

Sterling had woken up at his normal morning hours only to glance at the timetable posted. "No lessons" He muttered to himself his head hitting the pillow once more. The Slytherin drifting back into his world of dreams, all in which he couldn't remember a single one. Actually ever since Sterling was eight he just stopped remembering his dreams. It was common knowledge that he still had them, just didn't remember a single thing. Not that it bugged Sterling at all. Who really needed to remember dreams that meant nothing at all.

About eleven in the morning, Sterling found himself exiting the Slytherin common room, his uniform perfectly steamed but his hair messy as usually. As well as this young eleven year old's stomach growling to no end. "The great hall is just a pain" Sterling said to himself as he found his way into the entrance of the kitchens.

Sterling of course could not cook if his life depended on it, but he could throw something together a sandwich or something to that effect. That's what he did at home when he missed breakfast or lunch, threw together a peanut butter and jelly sandwich or threw some fish and chips on a slice of bread. Either one worked though the second choice was a bit more interesting.

Brushing his hair out of his face, Sterling opened a few of the kitchen cabinets and began to rumage for something easy to put together.

Ai on the other did have class today. She had just been let out for brake which would bleed into lunch but Ai had no intention of sharing the same space with so many other people. Especially if Emma was going to be there. That girl was much to bright for her own good. She found the entrence to the kitchens and found a place to sit with her book bag. She took one out on third century jinxes and proped it up.

Ai tapped the table twice so that a house elf would come. "Rost chicken and potatos please." She said in her cold flat voice. She didn't even look up from the book she was reading. She crossed her legs at the anckle and started to read. It was only when her food came that she looked up and noticed that she wasn't a lone. Not that it mattered it was better than the crowds in the Great Hall. They always made Ai feel uneasy.

Without a word she took her cold ice like orbs away from the boy and started to eat. The house elves, falling all over themselves to please Ai, had also brought her black tea to go with what she ordered. Ai didn't even crack a smile but she did thank them in a icy sort of way. She took out a word search book and started to do the puzzle while eating as if she where alone.

Sterling heard someone else enter the kitchen. He turned his brown eyes focusing on a girl who wondered in. She didn't seem concerned with Sterling so Sterling decided not to pay her any mind either. Ignoring the house elves that seemed to bend to the whim of the young girl, Sterling continued to dig finding a loaf of bread along with some jelly. It will do He thought walking over to the table with both food items and placing them down, not saying a word in the girl's direction.

Sterling than began to dig through the cabinets finding a plate and a knife. This young boy was more than glad to find what he needed so fast. Sterling moved over to the table once more constructing himself a sandwich in minutes.

Replacing the loaf of bread, jelly, and the knife into the sink, Sterling found himself sitting down right next to the girl. "Well Hello" Sterling said finally not wanting to eat in complete silence. "You really seem to know how to get what you want from these house elves" Sterling said a slight smirk on his face. Of course he could appreciate the girl's easy command, but he was not up for ordering house elves around, people were so much more fun.

Ai looked up from her word search. Her cold eyes scaned the boy for a moment as if she where trying to get as much information from just looking at him. "Sterling Staton, first year Slytherin." She said. It wasn't a question. "My name is Ai." She said rispectfully the took a sip of the tea she had in front of her. "It's not over difficult. House elves are by nature servents. Who am I to deny then their perpose." She said in that same flat cold voice. If that smirk bothered her Ai was not showing it.

She folded the word search book and sat a little towards the Slytherin. "Couldn't be bothered to go up to the Great Hall or can you just not stand the crowds?" She asked wondering what another person would be doing in the kitchens when it was so close to lunch. The Great Hall was a better place to meet people. Ai fixed the small purple bow she had placed on the side of her pitch black hair so that it sat more neatly on the part.

In the black of the school robes and the lack of make up on her face Ai looked like a china doll. Cute but she gave off a sence of frigedness that not but people like her would like. She talked as if she would much rather they be quiet and acted like she was waiting for the moment when the person walked away. Ai waited for the boy's answer while drinking her tea slowly. She wasn't much of other things like Pumpkin juice and butterbeer. They shocked her delicut system.

Really Sterling was surprised that the girl could scan his appearance and know who he was right from that. Sterling on the otherhand wouldn't know the girl if he had an hour to figure it out. Showing no emotions of either surprise or confusion on his face, Sterling looked down at his sandwich taking a small bite. After chewing his bite, Sterling spoke. "Yep That's right" He said not quite sure how the girl knew that, his curiousity not even close to great enough to even consider asking.

"Nice to meet you Ai" He said politely. For some reason, Sterling always seemed to be polite when it came to the female gender. Rarely was he polite the his own gender of his own age. A small smile formed and stayed on his lips for a moment until he brought his gaze back down to his sandwich, taking yet another bite appreciating the easy yet delious taste of a simple jelly sandwich.

"Didn't feel like going all the way to the great hall. Just woke up and thought I would find the closest path to food" Sterling said looking up at the girl once more her eyes interesting this young Slytherin. So blue, so unlike he had seen in the past. "And what brings you to the kitchens?" Sterling asked trying to figure out the answer before the girl answered. Instead of caring or concentrating too much, Sterling continued to take small bites of his sandwich.

Ai found the boy intresting as well. She had met few that could stand her icy nature for more than a few minutes. Maybe that was why most of her friends where Slytherin. The eleven year old Ravenclaw took a bite of her food and looking to the other side as if to say "A pleasure for me too I guess." She said but there was no pleasure in her voice at all. Ai shifted her feet slightly as they where getting numb from being bent. She had not choice but to take it though.

Ai was short enough that just the tip of her feet reached the floor. "I can't stand the people. That and it's a sunny day out which means the cilling will be cloudless and very damaging to me." She said as if that would explain what would happen to her if she got too much sun. "That and most likely the idiots that I share a house with will most likely be there raping my ear with infromation that is best not shared." She said in the same flat voice. It sounded like an insult all the same.

Ai looked down at the sandwith Sterling had made for himself. "You can get something much better from the elves if that is your wish." She commented. Weather she was trying to be helful or not it didn't show. She took a bite of the potato she had been working on. It was so nice for her not to have to cook and not to have that old bat of a grandmother haping in her ear. She was getting to enjoy the time she spent alone. Though she did go look for Aleyah from time to time. Ai brought her attention back to the boy. Brown eyes, common. What was holding her here aside from her food?

Sterling continued to slowly eat his sandwich finding it better than the food that his mother used to consider when she cooked her own meals. Though Sterling loved his mother, loved to annoy her and rebel against her, but loved her nonetheless, he could admit that she could cook just as good as Sterling could. That was saying something.

Putting his sandwich down for a moment he wiped his hands on a near by napkin, getting up his tall figure walked against the kitchen floor. Sterling opened up the cabinets pulling out a glass. Then to the cooler he went grabbing a small bottle of water. Not saying a word until he sat back down pouring himself a glass of icy cold water.

"Not a people person then" Sterling said keeping his gaze on the girl as he took a sip of his water. "Which house are you in the by way" Sterling asked, not huge on houses but it was enough of a question that he felt needed to be asked. Placing his glass carefully on the table, once more Sterling grabbed his sandwich.

Shaking his head the slightly bit, his long hair falling over one of his brown eyes. "I don't need to order the house elves around. Not one for fancy food either" Sterling said thinking about how he did love to go out to all the diners in London but nothing too uptight and fancy. Anywhere the needed him to wear a tux was way too formal for him.

Ai watched Starling walk. So tall. Ai watched him walk back with new intrest. She put down her fork and went back to her tea. "Neve have been. Never got much of a chance. I have a weak system and the only person I got to talk to most of the time was my brother. He's dead before you ask." She said know that the next question would be what school he went to. Her voice was still steady and cold. She knew that Sterling would either think she hadn't loved Kai or that she was pure evil but really she had loved Kai as much as a sister could love her twin. The thing was they had been in competion all thier life and Ai, weak, pail, quite Ai, was the one who lived.

At least that what Ai told herself to keep herself from braking down. "I'm a Ravenclaw. I had hoped going into that house that I would not have to deal with stupidity but I was wrong." She said. She was about to hiss that one boy seemed to be so close to being a mudblood but Ai didn't know thies boy's views. She had know that Aleyha shared her way of thinking by talking to her right out. Some people had gotten offended when she said things like that. She hated the fact that they misunderstood it.

To her a Mudblood was not a muggleborn. It was a wizard that was a shame to thier own community. "They fall over themselves to serve. I just thought so. I can't have anything syintheic without making sure that it wouldn't do me harm." She explained. Ai knew what she could eat and what she couldn't. It was how careful she had to be.

Sterling shook his head once flipping a piece of stray hair out of his face. That was one thing this Slytherin hated about his length of his hair, it always got in the way. He took a small bite of his sandwich glad that he was in the process of chewing when Ai said that her brother was dead. If his mouth hadn't been full than it might have fell open. This was working in his favor for once.

Really Sterling didn't know what to say. Who announced that their brother was dead without some sort of emotion? It was almost an uncomfortable situation, but luckily Sterling didn't show that it bothered him at all. Putting his sandwich down, Sterling took a sip of water deciding to not mention or go into the topic that had been brought up in such an abrupt manner.

A Ravenclaw, Intellegent, Almost anti social. Sort of makes sense He thought the house characteristics fitting the girl, at least in Sterling's mind. Yet her coldness seemed to place in her the house of his own. Not that houses mattered that much in his mind. After all seconds before the sorting ceremony, Sterling himself didn't know which house he wanted to be in. This young slytherin wouldnt' admit that now. To this day he claims he always wanted to be in the House of the snake.

This Slytherin shrugged his shoulders at the last comment. Back home no one he knew had house elves and Sterling didn't seem to see the need.

If Ai had made it a habit to smile, she would have smiled right now. She could almost see the wheels in Sterling's mind working even if he didn't show what he was thinking. She kind of like that. She was being very unpleasant she knew but there was nothing she could do about that. Ai was a cold, almost hearless girl. It was the way she was raised to be. She really knew how to be any other way.

Sterling's silence was a good one in her mind. It gave her time to finish off the potato. She started bitting the chicken again before she gave the plate to a passing house elf who seemed more than happy to take it for her. She instead concentrated on the tea she was drinking. "What it like?" She asked suddenly then taking a sip from her cup. "Being in Slytherin. Most of my friends and people I know are in Slytherin. It seems like my nature is not suited for anyone else." She said though no sadness or happiness came into her voice.

Ai said it like it was just a fact she was reading from a book. She placed the cup and saucer on her lap and looked at Sterling with that piecing yet empty stare. It was as if she wasn't just trying to get an answer from but also a reaction. Like he was something to be studied and categorised. It was the way she treated the world around her so it could make since to her.

With the last sip of water, Sterling placed his cup down tempted to get up once more and get another sip, instead he sat not wanting to break the conversation once more. And what an odd conversation it was. It was not like Sterling had experienced before. Though this young boy was not used to one on one conversations anyway. Usually he had conversations while surrounded by a group. The least number of people was usually three including him. If this was how all one on one conversations were, Sterling just wasn't sure. Luckily he was good at keeping his cool and just casually continuing to talk as if this was the type of talk he had every day of his eleven year old life.

The silence was not broken by Sterling but by Ai. Her words were worded strange for this young Slytherin. Actually Stering was not sure how to answer her question or even in which manner he should take her statement in. It seems like my nature is not suited for anyone else The words Ai said repeated through Sterling's head. What the girl meant by her nature, Sterling may never figure out.

"Slytherin's not what I expected" Sterling began truthfully almost wondering why he was being truthful. How much more interesting he could make himself if he added a lie here and there. Maybe add that later he thought the line of a smile filing his thin lips. "You'd think everyone in Slytherin would be the same or at least close. Not really though. Some are quiet and shy while others you want to strangle and make them shut up. I take it I'm in the middle of the characteristics" Stering added once more flipping his hair out of face.

"Over all I guess being in Slytherin is being in any house. Nothing too special." He said adding the word too and making sure it was realized. Sterling always somehow put himself above at least one group of people. This was something he had done for as long as he could remember. Being in the house of Slytherin seemed to give him permission to hate some of the other houses and claim that his was better, With me it is he thought as he handed the plate with the almost finished sandwich and the empty glass of water to a nearby house elf. "Thanks" He said to the small elf.

"What is it like for you. Being in Ravenclaw" He asked wanting to keep the conversation going for a few more moments. Not like today he had anything too important planned and this girl seemed interesting enough to keep his curiousity up and his lips moving forming the needed words.

Ai listened intently nodding her head a few times. It seemed like the Houses did not dictate who the person was. Or in fact their very nature. She had been though moments as of late where all she would need was for a person to shut up. She remembered the little mudblood by the name of Liberty she had met up in the North Tower well. She disliked the girl almost as much as he disliked Ai. The Ravenclaw Ares did little to improve her vision of him too.

Ai took a reflectively long sip then started. "Like you said what house a person is does not dictate what they are going to be like. I have run into idiots that are in Raveclaw House. Some that you would not think should ever see the inside of that common room but goes to show. I keep to myself most of the time. One of my room mates seems to be sensible enough though." She talking about Avrille. The other, Paine, was just like her name. A real pain in the side. Over emotional and posh to extreme Ai would have liked nothing more than for her to move out. But seeing as living arrangements where permanent she had not choice but to swallow her words and bare her.

Ai finished her tea and set the cup on the table so that the house elves would get to it. She dusted off her school skirt then looked up at Sterling. "It truly was a pleasure meeting you. Perhaps if you stomach makes you seek the fastest route to food again we can meet. I don't normally like to eat in the Great Hall." She said then placed her word search book in her bag. She slung it over her frail looking shoulder then started to walk off towards the door.

Sterling leaned back a bit more on his chair making sure not to lean back too far. Just far enough to get comfortable not too far to make him fall on his arse and look like a complete fool. Believe it or not Sterling had had this happen before at his old school. Luckily he pulled one of his 'friend's chair down as well. This meant that the other students laughed at the other poor kid and left Sterling alone for that matter. Good times Sterling thought briefly before putting his full attention to what the girl was speaking off.

He nodded his head simply a few times his thoughts drifting to his roommates. One that seemed cool enough the boy that called himself Jarrod. Yet the other boy who had the most annoying accent Sterling had ever heard. Worse than the American accent and worse than the New Zealand accent. When Sterling thought about it, he wasn't even sure which accent his other room mate had. This slytherin didn't want to ask the boy just for the reason that Sterling really hated to hear him speak.

As the Ai stood up and dusted off her skirt, Sterling stood up as well. Mostly due to the fact that this was how he was raised. When a female stood up from the table, the male was supposed to do the same. Which was more than stupid in his head, but he followed those little traditions. "Well let's hope we meet again" Sterling said as he watched Ai walked off towards the door. Once she made her exit he would surely leave, yet not until a few minutes after. Sterling didn't want to seem as if he was following her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back