Sitting And Thinking

Vanessa Parker

Vanessa was just sitting and thinking. The sunshine from the windows lit up the whole corridor. She thought of everything that had been going on. Nobody was passing through the corridor or in it at all. Vanessa didn't notice when someone started walking in the corridor. Their shoes clacked on the hard floor, but she was too caught up in her own thoughts. It wasn't soon until the girl who was walking was near Vanessa. She snapped out of her thoughts suddenly and made a subtle jerk. She looked at the other girl who was in the corridor. She didn't want to bother the girl, so she decided if she wanted to talk to her, she would start a conversation.

Sydney walked down the corridor. Today she had worn yellow to honour Sam's recovery and now she was on her way back to her dorm from seeing him. As she walked she noticed a girl on the floor. Th girl did not move as she approached so Sydney decided to let her be, until she jerked just as the blonde took a step past her. The jerk was small but, as usual, Sydney made it out to be more than it was. "Woah there Jerks-a-lot, watch out for pedestrians." She rolled her eyes, pausing for the girls reply.

"Hello to you, too," Vanessa said, rolling her eyes a bit and moving out of the way. She didn't think it was a very big one, but she kept her mouth shut. Even if someone was being rude or mean, Vanessa wouldn't say anything mean back. She hoped that the girl would either go on her way or stop being rude about one thing she did. "Everything going good with you?" Even though this girl didn't seem nice at all, Vanessa at least wanted to try to be nice.

Sydney watched the girl wearily when she asked the question. Not many people were nice to a Slytherin unless they were in Slytherin themselves and this girl obviously wasn't. "Not particuarly but I can't really change that. Um, you?" She spoke awkwardly and stood in the middle of the corridor, not willing to sit on the floor.

Vanessa felt awkward from talking to a standing girl when she was sitting. She stood up. "It's mostly good, I guess," she said. She was a bit surprised that the girl had actually cared and didn't shoot back a rude comment. Vanessa actually hoped that everything would end up ok with this girl. "I hope it gets better for you. I'm Vanessa." she added. She wasn't sure if she should put out her hand and she didn't want to make meeting her even more awkward, so she just waited for the girl to introduce herself.

Sydney continued to look at the girl wierdly. Had she not heard of Slytherins? "Umm, Sydney. What house are you in?" Sydney was assuming Hufflepuff for obvious reasons but she wanted to make sure.

"Hufflepuff," Vanessa said. She noticed Sydney looking at her weirdly. "What about you?" She assumed Sydney was in Slytherin, but she wanted to make sure. Vanessa thought if Sydney was a Slytherin, she found it weird that a person in a different house than Slytherin was actually being nice to one. Maybe she isn't used to people from other houses being nice to her, she thought. If she doesn't like me being nice to her, I can always walk away. I bet she's used to people fighting with her whenever she says something.

Sydney nodded, she was right. It was obvious what house really, a gryffindor would recognise her attitude immediately and would never put up with the weird looks she was giving and a Ravenclaw would be smart enough to know what house she was in without asking and be smart enough to have left by now. "Slytherin." She smirked proudly, Sydney loved her house it was the house of her mother, father and, now, soon to be step father.

"I assumed you were in Slytherin," Vanessa said. She knew that Sydney wouldn't be offended by this comment, because she seemed so proud of her house. Vanessa kept quiet that she was a muggleborn witch, she knew some Slytherins didn't like muggleborns. She must not hate me if she's not being mean right now,Vanessa thought.

Sydney just nodded before finally asking something that had been bothering her for a while. "Why are you on the floor? Do you know how un-hygenic that is? You could literally catch something from sitting on the floor." Somehow, over the holidays, Sydney had picked up quite a bit of knowledge about illness and health. She had been worried about Shaylah's friend, Sam, and had looked up some stuff, it turned out to be really interesting.

"All of a sudden, I was sitting on the ground. Good thing I was only there for a minute or two," Vanessa said. "If it wasn't for you I probably would still be sitting there wrapped up in my own thoughts. I could have gotten sick. Thanks." She thought about it. How many students walked there every day, things that their shoes had stepped in, the shoes that had stepped where she had been sitting. Definitely never going to do that again, Vanessa thought.

Sydney had a look of disgust across her face as she thought of sitting on the floor. "Just think, for all you know someone that had walked in animal sh1t could've walked past there less than an hour ago and you just sat in it." She had to stop herself from gagging.

Sydney gfave the Hufflepuff yet another weird look. "Why? It's your clothes that will've suffered. You should wash them, like now." It was kind of fun scaring people with the truth instead of lies.

Sydney did a little shoo gesture with her hands. "Go, I don't want to risk infections from you. My health is at stake too." She waited for the girl to walk away, slightly disgusted with herself for talking to a Hufflepuff.

Vanessa walked away from the girl. She went to wash her clothes and take a shower. After she did those two things, she went to change into other clothes. After that, she felt immensely good and relaxed. She thanked the girl even though she wasn't there for letting her realize what she should have done. She felt relaxed for the first time in a while.

End Of Topic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back