Shadows in the Dark

Jolly Cooper

Clutching the walls so that she would not bump into anything or stumble in her state of haze, Jolly Cooper made her way to the Hospital Wing. It seemed like an exceptionally long walk to the Infirmary today and Jolly was growning restless. Low moaning noises came out of her mouth and she didn't even realize she was making them. It was 6 in the morning when she had jerked up from a nightmare. When she had tried to open her eyes, she found that she couldn't. They seemed to be stuck.

Finally, when she managed to open them only a slit, she had went to look at herself in the mirror. What she had seen had shocked her so much that without caring to change her clothes, she had stumbled down the girls staircase in her pyjamas and out of the portrait hole. My eyes...I hope nothing happens to my eyes, she kept thinking to herself as she squinted slightly and made out the Infirmary doors. Thank Merlin!

Blindly, she pushed them open and slid down tiredly to the floor, breathing hard. She dared not open her eyes. They were swollen...so badly that they looked like large saucers on her face. And they were slightly red in colour. Her usually rosy cheeks were pale and sweaty and the dark shadows under her eyes looked even more pronounced since the past few days. It had been more than a week since Jolly had last been to the Hospital Wing for her hiccup problem. Between that time, it felt like she had aged four to five years.

Patrick heard a noise from the hospital wing and pulling in his hospital robes he walked outside. He waved his wand at the curtains which opened immediately. There by the door in a heap on the floor was Ms. Cooper.
"Wingardium Leviosa" he called and immediately she was levitated to one of the hospital beds.

He stood over her looking at her face, her eyes were red and swollen though she herself seemed quite pale. It was obviously an allergic reaction to something but what he thought.

"Ms. Cooper can you hear me?" he called to her.

It seemed like Jolly had been sitting there for hours before she heard Nurse O'Brien's voice above her. He floated her into one of the beds and she was grateful. She tried to open her extremely swollen eyes and succeeded in opening them a slit. The nurse's face swam into view though he looked very blurry. "Hi, Mr. O'Brien," she croaked tiredly. "Nice to see you again."

"Well you managed to make it to a week so far" He smiled at her, holding up his wand and lighting the tip with the lumos charm. He held it above her eyes and watched between the small slits for movement and retinal reaction.

"How did you manage to do this to yourself?" he asked her lowering his wand again.

Jolly tried to snort but it came out as a pained grunt. "Been trying to make you proud. Didn't work, I guess," she croaked in answer to the nurse's first question. Jolly closed her eyes again when the light hit her. It was painful. "Can't sleep...since I came here...tired," she managed to murmur, grimacing at the pain in her shoulder-blades. She wanted to cry. Bury her face in her hands and cry but, unfortunately for her, she didn't even have the strength to do that.

Patrick listened, concerned for Ms. Cooper.
"No amount of not sleeping will make your eyes puff out like that though. Did you attempt a spell or drink some kind of potion?" he asked her kindly.

Jolly squinted at the healer again at his question. She shook her head. "No, sir. It's all because if lack of sleep," she mumbled. She remembered seeing her father in such a condition a few years back. But his eyes hadn't been as bad as Jolly. Currenly, what she craved the most was some sleep. Even the word seemed foreign to her. "Please," she begged, as tears leaked down from her eyes. "Please, give me a sleeping potion...need sleep..." She had exams next week.

Patrick knew he couldn't just give the girl a sleeping potion especially when she sounded desperate for it. He decided to try something else instead first and went to his cabinet and took down the grey bottle that held the potion he needed. He brought it too the long table and poured some into a clean vial.

"Ms Cooper I need you to drink this then" he said to her placing the vial in her hands as he doubted she would be able to see it very well.

Jolly felt something slide into her fingers and she tightened her grip, realizing that it was a vial. What did it contain? Without opening her eyes, she asked in a watery voice, "What does this potion do?"

[ooc; sorry for the short post. i need to know what that potion does so that i can role-play it :) ]

Patrick helped her hold the small vial.
"It will reduce the massive swelling around your eyes especially if it's been magically swollen" he told her, hoping that this should help in some way. If not then he would chance the Draught of Peace. He began to wonder what it is about this school that deterred many of the girls from sleeping.

[[that's ok Jolly should have said, my apologies]]

[ooc; 'tis okay :) ]

"Not...magically swollen," Jolly managed to say stubbornly before bringing the vial to her lips. She thought she would know if someone or something decided to curse her eyes into swelling like saucers. She gulped down the potion in a second and scrunched up her face at oily taste. "Yuk!" She stopped breathing for a while to let the horrible taste fade and lay very still. With a pale and sweaty face, presently she almost looked like a dead body with swollen red eyes.

Patrick sighed as the potion had no effect on her. 'It was worth a try at least' he told himself. He flicked his wand at the potions cabinet, "Accio Draught of Peace".
Within moments the bottle was in his hand and he uncorked it. He summoned another small vial from the large table and when this was in his other hand he poured a measured amount into the vial.
"Jolly try and drink this for me. Please it will help you sleep, we'll see if that can't cure this infliction you have" he told her holding the vial to her mouth.

Still with her eyes closed, Jolly obediently grabbed the vial and drank from it. A minute later, warmth spread through her body and she felt at peace. She had never tried the Draught of Peace and now she wondered why. It felt really good and it was pretty tasty as well. The terrible pain in her shoulder-blades was still there but despite it, Jolly felt good. "Thanks," she murmured. "My eyes...." she let her unspoken question hang in the air. Also, would Draught of Peace make her sleepy?

"Ssshhh, Ms. Cooper just let the potion do it's job" he whispered as he slowly and quietly moved away from her bedside. The draught of peace would give her the sleep her body was craving and hopefully restore her eyes to normal.

She got her answer soon because she began to feel sleepy. Oh, thank Merlin, Jolly thought to herself as sleep finally consumed her and her breathing became steady. Finally some well-deserved sleep!

The day passed uneventfully and Patrick was gratefull for that much. He had gone to check on Ms. Cooper a few times and she has seemed fine, sleeping peacefully. The amount of potion he had given her would let her sleep through out the day and right into the following night as well. She seemed to really need it.
When the next morning he rose, he hoped that she would be fine now. He walked out on to the hospital wing and opened the curtains with his wand, letting the cold morning sunlight filter in.

"Good morning Ms. Cooper" he called as he walked over to her, "Rise and shine, let's take a look at those eyes shall we?"

[ooc; um, it's 6 o' clock in the morn when she comes here ;-) ]

She was having such a wonderful time sleeping that Jolly did not want to get up. However, the effect of the Draught of Peace was slowing fading away and all the pain from the past few hours caught up her on. She winced slightly when Nurse O'Brien came over to wake her up. "Morning," she said sleepily, feeling grateful to him for giving her the peace potion. She had not slept like this in a very very long time.

Then, suddenly, something clicked in her brain and Jolly sat up in shock. "What time is it?" she asked, squinting in the bright sunlight. She had missed her flying lesson. Oh no!

[[I do apologise :) I have edited that post so that you have slept throughout the day and into the next night, so you are waking now on Sunday morning.]]

Patrick smiled at her not understanding her state of agitation.
"It is 7:30am Ms. Cooper why?" he asked her, of course she wouldn't know that it was the following day and she had slept throughout the entire time.

"How are you feeling?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back