Seeing a sad friend

Ezekiel Newton

Zeke was on a bench. He was hanging around town again, the park that he normally was in had been closed off for police investigation after the body of an old man was found. He was thinking about it, he had overheard them say their approximation of time of death. It was ten minutes after he had left the park, he had even walked past the older men who had been arrested for it.

While Zeke sat on the bench, pondering this news, he was oblivious to anyone around him. Even the familiar girl that had come over and sat on the bench next to him.

Veronica looked around at all the people; it was quite crazy that this man was killed. She saw him there everytime she passed, and now, his position leaning against the tree would be empty. She closed her eyes and thought about it. No one she had ever known had died. Seeing it on the news was different with celebrities and such, but this was someone she had talked to occasionally, had seen in her life. Brushing the hair out of her eyes, she looked over to her left and noticed a familiar looking boy.

Her eyebrows raised in surprised as she quickly snuck in behind the bench and came around and took her seat. "We meet again, do we?" she asked with an empty tone.

Zeke jumped at the sound of a voice. He turned and noticed a girl there, a fmiliar girl. Veronica. Ther first girls name he remembered first time after learning it. He smiled slightly at her, but it meant nothing. "I suppose we do. What are you doing here?" All he could think about was that man and all the what if's? What if he had stayed out longer? Would it have been him? What if he had spoken to the gang as he passed? Would it have made a difference? Allt he questions and more spinning in his mind.

Veronica wasn't taken aback too much by his, what seemed to be, rudeness. She was used to it from most people, but was a little surprised that this person who she had seemed to have had a good time with was being this way. She tried to ignore it. "I'm here because I'm here half the time, and that man who was just killed.. I sort of knew him," she replied solemnly in a eerie sort of voice. She pushed the bangs into her face and thought about it for a second. Why were all these things happening so suddenly? It seemed as if some of the world around her was falling apart in pieces too quickly.

Zeke looked up when she mentioned the old man. "You too huh?" He budged over, indicating for her to sit next to him. His attitude suddenly became nicer towards her. "How'd you know him?"

(Lame)

Veronica slid over toward Zeke and brought her knees up to her chest, wrapping her arms around them. "I've seen him around, when I'm here in the park.. I've even spoken to him." She looked over at Zeke and squinted her eyes a bit. "Have you ever known someone who has died before now?"

Zeke nodded. "Well there was Barry, obviously. I spoke to him a few times, even saw him a few moments before he was killed." He shuddered at the memory of him looking so happy and the gang looking so mean. "And there's my aunt claudia, she died a couple of years ago." Zeke found it odd that whenever he felt down and depressed, Veronica showed up, either she was attracted to his sorrow or she was there to cheer him up.

Veronica closed her eyes and looked down to her knees, her hair falling in her face as she felt the pain well up inside at the thought of seeing someone, full of life moments before it was taken away from them. "I've never known anyone other than Barry," she whispered. Her mother and father seemed to have tried to keep her away from most of the pains of the world, but it hadn't worked as well as they had planned. She felt more pain with her very seperated family than she would have if her parents would just let the world be as it was supposed to.

"Is feeling sad alright in this situation?" she asked, truly not knowing how her emotions were supposed to be reacting.

Zeke looked over at the poor girl with confusion in his eyes. How had she been brought up not knowing if sadness was suitable in a situation like death. He skooted over too her and placed his arm around her. "Of course it is, Come here." He gaveher a soothing hug, he didn't want to try and make her forget it, mourning was important, but she should at least know she was allowed to feel sad. "It's normal to feel sad. Just let it all out."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back