Red welts are nothing to humiliation

Alex Cullen

Wand
Rowan Wood 12"1/4 Essence of Silver Thistle
Alex carried Kiera in without much difficulty. He cursed the people who had insulted Kiera in his head silently as he scanned the room for an empty bed very quickly. He was starting to notice the Hospital Wing was really over crowded this year compared to others and wondered why that was. But it didn't matter right at this moment.
The girl in his arms needed help immediately and he would make sure the nurses came right away. The kid with the broken arm could wait. Laying her down gently on the furthest away bed from the door, he closed the curtain half shut and walked out to find the nurse. Surely there would be one today that could come on time for once.

Kiera didn't protest as Alex carried her up the stairs. It was nice to be in his strong, protective arms. She could see people whispering and pointing at her as Alex walked past them. Kiera's head was starting to swim and she didn't know what was going on. She scolded herself for ever opening the stupid letter.

Alex placed Kiera down gently before turning to walk away. She began to panic as she thought he was leaving her here alone. "Wait! Don't leave me!" she said, her voice not at its normal volume. It sounded weak and shaky. Kiera didn't want to be alone, especially when most of the school hated her at the moment.

Alex froze as he heard Kiera call after him. He was only 3 metres away from her. He frowned, worried, looking at the room for the nurse and back at her. Did she not want to be healed? Was she crazy? He had no idea what she was thinking but he guessed in this mood he wouldn't really want to get on her bad side. Sighing, he shook his head. Well, if she didn't want to get heal, who cared? Walking back, he stood by her bed.
'Ok. I won't go. Don't worry,' he replied, smoothing his face out once more. He gave her a smile before smoothing out some of her messed up hair.

Kiera calmed down slightly as Alex returned to her. She watched him as he lifted a hand to smooth her hair. Lately, she could see that at times he cared a lot about her and at others he wanted nothing to do with her. Kiera couldn't tell which mood he was in right now. She caught his hand and pressed it to her tear stained cheek. "I'm scared." she said barely above a whisper. She never ever said those words. Very few things frightened the Head Girl.

Alex bent down so he was eye level with her. 'You'll be fine. I promise, if it's the last thing I do.' he gave her a smile. And he meant it. He knew that when he left her, she'd have James. And he knew that if he made her life here a bit easier, she'd be more than ok.
'What are you scared about Kiera?' he asked her. Perhaps if she voiced her worries, he could try and sort them out for her. It wouldn't take that much of an effort from him whatsoever.

Kiera looked straight into Alex's eyes. He promised she would be okay. If he promised then surely she would be. Her chocolate eyes softened, revealing weakness. "I believe you." she said, her voice full of trust. Kiera looked worried at his question. "These welts. What if they don't go away? What if the nurse can't stop them?" she said panicking again slightly.

Alex's tone soften as Kiera answered his question. 'The nurse will be able to Kiera. Trust me. And if they don't, well, we'll all still love you just the same,' he replied, including all her friends she had as well. It didn't matter what she looked like on the front. It was what was on the inside that counted.

Kiera looked at her boyfriend. It was hard to tell what he was thinking at that moment. He's words soothed her, just like they should. She prayed the nurse would be able to fix this. Kiera stared, dumbfounded at Alex's last words. "You mean you would still like me even if I looked like this?" she asked him, confused. One minute he hated her and the next he was saying sweet things.

Alex frowned at Kiera for a minute. 'What do you mean Kiera?' he asked completely confused on what she was trying to tell him. 'Of course I would like you, even if you did happen to look like that for the rest of your life,' he replied, now confused on what the message was that he was missing.

Kiera could tell Alex was confused but why? It wasn't so hard to see that she had to look hideous like this. She had her doubts about him liking her as she was. She shook her head. "But I look awful. Sometimes it seems like you don't even like me when I look normal." she said, avoiding his eyes. "But then why should you? I've been so horrible to you." Kiera said more to herself than him. Her voice was barely audible.

[Not Really Tin]

Several Owls from far away flew in threw the open window, being the Spring time it was lovely weather that would typically help the patients. Several of the Owls had normal looking envelopes from different people but a few did not. One of these in particular was bright red while the other was pure black, the red letter began to smoke and went off before anyone could do anything to stop it.

"James Potter is my IDLE! YOU HAVE TO GO THROUGH ME IF YOU WANT MY MAN!
YOU FLOOZY!"

And it continued delivering insults of that nature in a voice that couldn't have been much older then Kiera however magnified several times. A plain looking letter carried the Daily Prophet Seal on it and had been written by Erica Matthews of the Daily Prophet, it had been written very fast and had been brought in by a smaller owl.

Dear Miss. Kingsley,

I'm very sorry about what was written in the Daily Prophet and hope that your life isn't too disrupted by Vandervoort's lies, I'm trying to get my editor to write a retraction as soon as I can but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be going well, apparently the story has grounds in his eyes considering your sorted history with Mr. Potter last year and with the pictures it seems that the truth is being covered up with lies pretty well. I want you to know that I'm trying to work it out but also to give you heads up from James that Cynthia's been speaking with a few people from the Canons and may be writing another article soon, be on your guard that snake could be watching you hoping that you slip up.

Sincerely, Erica Matthews
Daily Prophet Journalist.

The black letter began to smoke violently as a foul smell came from it and began spewing black liquid all over the place, anything the liquid touched began to burn including Kiera's curtains.

The Fourth and final Owl carried with it a small card written calmly as though it hadn't been written that morning but a bit ago and was simply waiting on this day to make it's trip. On it said the simple words,

You and James make a great couple, Love Ya!

CV
[/color]

Kiera was surprised as four letters were rapidly delivered by four different owls. Two were strange colors while two looked like normal letters. The red letter began to yell at her as soon as it touched her lap. It screamed insults at Kiera. Her eyes began to tear up. In her opinion, most of the insults were deserved. Kiera looked up at Alex with tears streaming down her face. Kiera eyed the black letter. It looked dangerous. She intended to leave it be then throw it in the fire later.

Kiera wasn't intending to open the other letters. She had learned her lesson noticed that one of the letters had a Daily Prophet seal on it. She decided to open it. Kiera read the letter with grim thoughts. She had met this Erica and it seemed that she wasn't going to be able to help Kiera. She began to panic at the mention of a second article. What more could the b1tch do to her?

Kiera looked at the other normal letter. It was really just a card. It was from Cynthia Vandervoort. Kiera glared at the piece of paper. She whipped out her wand and pointed it at the thin strip of parchment. She was weak but she had enough strength to do this. It immediately went up in flames. Kiera's temper got the best of her. Tears flowed down her perfect cheeks.

Kiera turned back to Alex, searching for his face. That's when searing pain hit her. A foul smell was filling the room and her skin was burning. She was confused until she looked down. It was the awful black letter. It was another curse. "Alex! Get out of the way!" she said, hoping he wouldn't be hit by the liquid. Kiera screamed in pain as it squirted more liquid on her skin. It was too much for her to deal with. Her head had already been spinning and now she was drowning. She didn't know what was going on. Kiera's chocolate eyes met Alex's. "I'm sorry." she whispered before her eyes fluttered close.

Alex shouted at himself for not seeing this come from her. 'Kiera. I don't know where you getting this from. Of course, I would still like you. It's what's inside that counts. And we are not discussing what you've done wrong again,' he replied, almost sighing at the last bit. It seemed to Alex, the amount times Kiera talked about James in front of him was a sign she wanted rid of him but he kept his thoughts well hidden.
Just then more papers came and before he whipped his wand out to silence them, they started screaming insults at Kiera. Alex covered his ears in pain as there seemed to be a very high frequency wail coming from one of them. And he wasn't sure which one if was to dispose of it. He knew it was his fault for hearing the sound the though, after all, if he didn't have excellent hearing still, it would of been out his hearing range like it normally should.
Smoke starting rising from one of the cards, the black one and Alex started coughing as the smell burned his lungs. The liquid caught him off guard as he started wide eyed at the curtains starting to catch fire. Kiera's scream brought him back to the present as he saw the liquid fall from the bed. Shaking his head, he cursed aloud not that he meant it and looked hard at the liquid, trying to clear his mind so he could banish the liquid. 'Evanesco,' he said clearly pointing it at the black fumes of the liquid. The searing pain from his feet disappeared easily as he ran back over the bedside to check how bad Kiera was now. The letter had made her skin go red from the burning as he swore, just like the soles of his feet, but much much worse. Before putting his wand away, he cast a shield round Kiera before sprinting to tell the nurse to come quick.

Kiera watched through tearful eyes as Alex came to her rescue once more. She couldn't help but think of him as she once had, her knight in shinning armor. He had saved her countless times just when she needed him to. The whole thing had all begun as a joke long ago when he started to call her fair maiden. It had been an endearing term that he no longer used. It was just another slam to her about how he didn't care for her anymore. Kiera was in pain as Alex cast a shield around her. Nothing would be getting in to hurt her now but it couldn't fix the damage that had already taken place. Kiera was swollen and burnt all over. She prayed Alex would hurry back with a nurse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back