Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Karissa
Wand
Curved 14 Inch Rigid Cedar Wand with Doxy Wing Core
It had taken him longer than he would've liked to look at Karissa's findings on ancient Greece and Egypt but as soon as he had time to look over them, spent the whole evening reading them and writing his own theories next to it. It appeared that her findings were closely related to wizardkind, or at least some of it was, which would be a good thing to hear he thought. He knew that she wanted to move on to cultural ancient Egypt and Mesopotamia so when he was finished going through all of it, Mitchell wrote back to her almost immediately.

Letter to Karissa Taylor said:
Dear Karissa,

I've taken a long look at the notes you handed me, I'm terribly sorry that it took me so long, classes have kept me rather busy, and I can conclude that your findings are indeed closely related to wizardkind. Of course these are mostly all theories, but I think that with the knowledge that I possess over both worlds, I can conclude that large structures such as the Giza Necropolis and the Sphinx of Giza might have been built by wizards, this would mean that pharaohs such as Khufu, who commissioned the Great Pyramid of Giza, would likely have used some kind of spellwork to have his subjects help him in building these. As you might know, Egyptologists seemed have reached a consensus that these structures weren't in fact built by slaves and prisoners, but by peasants during the off-seasons. Whether this is actually true is hard to say, of course, as different sources say otherwise. However, I think that I can positively say that magic had a hand in building these enormous structures one way or another. It seems that there's a balance in that both worlds contributed equally as much. Unfortunately, I couldn't find much about Greece architecture and their ties to magic. One might say that the Temple of Apollo at Delphi might have had some magical properties, the Pythia who served as the oracle of Delphi may have used magic to communicate with the Greek Gods. As you may very well know, however, Muggles have debunked this theory by saying that the Pythia was inhaling a gas called ethylene, which would make her high.

Having read your entry on magic in ancient Egypt in the form of rituals and such, I do think that the ''God'' the Egyptians worshipped, Heka, may have been a cover for wizardkind to perform their magic upon the peasants. While magic was an integral part of their religion and culture, witches and wizards alike may not have been accepted in society unless in the form of something greater such as a God. Priests would invoke Heka in the 'practice of heka' for mainly healing purposes. As for magic in ancient Greece, we've talked about the Gods before and how they may have just been wizards and witches in disguise, magical potions were mostly used in their day-to-day lives. The Oracle of Delphi could be tied to this as well if we believe the theories Muggles have used since 2001. Divination is also set to have been used in Greek times. Cities were set to have been protected by magical spells, and in some cases, people were sentenced to death for performing magic, even harmful magic. Plato, who wanted nothing more than to punish people who used magic and magical artefact, may have been a Muggle not to keen on living amongst wizardkind. Again these are all theories. So if the people in that time believed in magic and were sentenced to death for practising it, who says it's not real? Especially with everything we know today.

I've put my notes in your journal for you to look over at yourself. If you have any questions, you are more than welcome to write back to me.

Mitchell

Kari had been starting to wonder if Mitchell had forgotten about her. She sighed, stirring honey into her tea as she settled in the window. She had just taken the first sip when a soft flutter caught her attention. Oh, an owl. Perhaps from Arthur? She set aside her tea and opened the glass for the pretty bird, holding out her arm. She only then noticed that the bird carried her notebook. Oh, Mitchell. She couldn't help the smile that crossed her features, pressing a soft kiss to the birds feathers and offering it a small cookie from her pocket. The owl turned up it's nose before flying off again. Well, more cookies for her then. She shut the window and settled back in her seat. She read over his letter eagerly, mind whirling with ideas over what he'd included. She padded over to the kitchen, pulling out a notebook and quickly writing back.

Professor
Mitchell,

Hi! It's alright, take all the time you need. There are so many interesting theories and thoughts in your last letter, I would absolutely love to discuss them further with you! I'm rubbish at writing them out, though, my mind is absolutely whirling right now. There are so many different things. Do you think maybe we could go over them with some tea sometime? If it isn't too much of a bother, of course. We don't always have to just speak of my work, though, silly, your last letter was absolutely fascinating but Mitchell, you didn't tell me anything about yourself! Pen pals are supposed to discuss more than work. Or at least, more than just my work. How have your classes been?

Things are going well here at the bookstore, Kami and Ian are getting along splendidly. Not that Killian is pleased with it, even if Kami willingly let Ian back into her life it seems our brother is still holding on to old anger. It's not good for him. It's good he doesn't have any hair or he would pull it all out. ;) I'm sorry, that's terrible to say, I can't help but to tease him though.

That does remind me, though, Kami and Ian are going away for a few days. I'll have the apartment to myself all weekend, do you think you might want to come over for a Mummy movie marathon on Saturday?Not the new one, but the good ones with Brendan Frasier. We could even watch the scorpion movies if you wanted to. I'll make popcorn and dinner if you want.

I hope this letter finds you well.

Karissa Taylor

Mitchell was sitting in the Great Hall when the school owl he had sent to Karissa returned to him with a letter. He thanked the owl by giving it an owl thread hidden away in his pocket and eagerly opened the letter. He was surprised to read that she wanted to know how he was doing. He didn't think that these letters would also be used for informal questions and such but he would happily comply. He'd happily spend time with the woman discussing their theories over some tea. By the time he was done reading it, he had to read it twice because sleep was still in his eyes, his breakfast had gone cold. Gulping away the last of his pumpkin juice, Mitchell excused himself from the table and made his way to his office on the first floor. He would have a little bit of time to write back to her before his first class would start.

Dear Karissa,

I am pleased to know that your mind is whirling theories, I wouldn't have done a good job with my previous letter if you hadn't had many things to discuss. I would love for us to go over them with some tea. I should have more free weekends because I am teaching both the fifth and seventh years this semester, normally those years would take a little more time when preparing the exams, but they won't have to do their exams until the end of the second semester. I wasn't aware that we would be pen pals whilst writing to each other but if you are really interested in my work then I will happily tell you about it. Classes have been going just fine, the lower years seem to be somewhat excited about their new class which definitely puts a smile on my face. Unfortunately for me, it is considered to be the ultimate blow-off class. I am thinking of asking the Headmistress if I can make small changed to the curriculum to make it a bit more challenging for everyone who is taking my classes.

I am also pleased to hear that things are going well over there. Now, it is not your fault that Killian is bald, is it? I have had a little run-in with your nephew a few weeks back. It seemed that he was of the opinion that I was going to hurt you? I assured him that I wasn't going to do that after we cleaned the mess both he and I made in my office - we had a water gun fight. I do hope that he knows that I am serious, I'd rather not have him play a prank on me again in the near future. May I suggest not telling Arthurian that we are writing to each other?

I would love to watch those old Mummy movies with you. I remember liking them even though they are a bit outdated. Perhaps we could order something instead this time around? I would hate for you to prepare dinner again. It also wouldn't be quite fair.

Let me know when you want to do both things and I will get back to you as soon as possible.

Mitchell

Last edited:
Kari had just tucked Kami back into bed. The poor woman had been up on and off all night with morning sickness. She hadn't finished moving in with Avarian yet and she knew her older sister was loathe to tell birdy bear how rough this pregnancy was turning out to be. She sat down with a yawn when she heard the owl perch itself in her window. She smiled, moving to let the pretty bird inside. It settled down on the counter while she got the owl treats from the drawer. She had bought them after her last letter to Mitchell. She moved over to the breakfast table, smiling as she read over the mans letter.

Mitchell,

I'm sorry, was it presumptuous of me? I can be a little awkward sometimes when it comes to social etiquette, so feel free to tell me if I've done something wrong. It's a shame the children see your class that way, I think it's a rather interesting one. I think it would be interesting to have a Wizard studies class for the muggle parents or the muggle born children who don't understand the way of the magical world. Understanding each other just seems like such a worthy thing to do, I don't see why there would be those against that. Good luck with the headmistress!

Speaking of Mr. Clean, he almost grew hair just to rip it out again when Kami told us the other day that not only was she engaged to marry Avarian, but that she was pregnant again as well. I think it's all very exciting, but Killian isn't quite as pleased with Avarian as I am. Arthur seems a bit torn, he doesn't hate his father but after going to school with his sisters he's a bit more hesitant of him. Avarian hasn't always made the best choices.

Arthur did not. Oh, for heavens sakes, I am so sorry. That boy- he takes too much after his Uncle Killian. He's probably acting out a bit more with his mothers pregnancy, it's a rather big change, and not one he had the time to be here to grow accustomed to. He just met his father and now they're getting married and expecting. I won't tell him if you won't, but please don't take his actions to heart.

If you like Chinese food, I know this lovely place nearby that delivers. If you want, maybe you can come over this Saturday?

Karissa

Mitchell heard tapping on the window behind him and instantly turned around and opened it to let the owl hop in. He smiled at it, stroked its feathers and removed the letter from its leg before sending it off so that it could rest at the Owlery. He ripped the letter open eagerly, knowing who it was from because he could recognise the handwriting, and read it. Mitchell had been looking forward to receiving her response to his previous letter.

Dear Karissa,

If you and your family would ever want to take such a class then I would be happy to share my knowledge of the Wizarding world. It can be a bit too much to take in at times so I can totally understand the want for a Wizard studies class. I don't know either why wizards are against making contact with Muggles. I can only guess that the things that Muggles have done to wizardkind in the past are things most cannot overlook and perhaps don't want to overlook, as they feel like they are superior to non-magical peoples. I haven't been able to discuss it with the headmistress yet but I'm sure that she will like the new curriculum I've come up with.

I believe congratulations are in order then! I am sure that it just takes Killian some time to get used to the idea of his sister Avarian again. Or is it really that bad? Don't worry too much about the boy, please. As I said, we talked a little bit and I think we're OK again. And if not, well at least I know what to expect the next time he wants to pull a prank on me. And so does he. If what you say is true and he is not taking it very well can I offer to talk to Arthurian every once in a while? I don't know the whole situation, of course, but there is no need for a boy his age to be troubled over such things. He's a good kid, funny too. I found him hanging around with Apollo the other day, it seems like they are getting along just fine.

I love Chinese food. Can I bring my notes along with me on Saturday? I was thinking that perhaps we could discuss our theories a little in between breaks.

See you Saturday

Mitchell

Kari was at the piano, her hair pulled up as she played Beethoven at the piano. She had just finished the piece with a flourish when she heard a flutter of wings. She smiled as she looked up, taking the letter and offering the owl a treat. She moved over to the table, writing a reply out quickly.

Dear Mitchell,

That actually sounds lovely, let me talk to my sister and maybe we could set up a time? We've been trying to make do reading Arthur's old books. I used to tutor students while I worked to get my degrees and she used to be a nurse before she took over the bookstore. We've done alright, I think, but there's still so much we don't know. Avarian has explained a few things, like Apparation and his job at the ministry.

I'm sure Killian will come around. He's just... moody. He turned to me when we found out and growled out a 'I'll kill any man that looks at you,'. I gasped, dramatically of course, and cried 'You would never hurt Milo, would you?'. He tried not to smile, but Kami died laughing.

As for Arthur, I'm sure he could use another male presence in his life. I love my brother, dearly, but I think branching out from his uncle would be good for him. I can tell you that responding to him the way you did earned his respect, even if he won't admit it. It's good that he and Apollo are talking, Arthur is usually so reserved.

And please do! A movie marathon is all well and good, but these movies especially always get my mind racing. It would be a relief to discuss something more in-depth when I'm fired up. I'll see you Saturday!

Karissa

Mitchell was sitting behind his desk grading homework when he heard the tapping against the window behind him. Work had been relatively easy with the semester almost at an end, there was only grading a few assignments left before he would move on to the final preparations for the third year exams. He stood up and walked over to the window, opening it for the owl to hop onto the windowsill. He stroked the owl's feathers and took the letter from its leg before it flew off and closed the window behind it. Mitchell wrote his reply almost immediately after he had finished reading the letter.

Dear Karissa,

I know that we discussed it a little already on Saturday but I think that it would be a good idea if you and your family would write a list of things that you want to know about the Wizarding World, especially if Avarian has already told you a bit. It would really help to know what all of you already know about our world whilst I'm coming up with topics to discuss. With the holidays coming up I should be able to get those done in no time, so just let me know when you would want your first (or only) session.

Are you sure that Killian isn't really Arthur's father? It seems that they are both behaving similarly when it comes to you. Should I be wary of Killian, too? I don't think that I could handle two Taylor's having a go at me. I'm no counsellor but I am sure that I can get Arthur to talk to me in time, especially if his friendship with Apollo continues to grow with the rate it is doing at the moment - the boy literally tells me everything nowadays.

I know that I have said this before I left your house already but I really liked Saturday, so I wanted to thank you for such a lovely time once more. I also think that we made some good developments with our notes. I am already looking forward to discussing more with you about the societies of the ancient worlds. I was thinking that perhaps we discuss away over a cup of coffee soon? Let me know what you think!

Mitchell

Kari had been curled up in the window with a good book when she heard the flapping, looking up with a smile to let the owl in. She let the poor dear rest in the window with her out of the rain as she read over Mitchell's letter before moving to the table to respond.

Dear Mitchell,

That is really very kind of you, I'll talk to Kami when she gets home tonight and see if we can't pull together some questions for you. I swear I'll try not to question the entire structures of civilization and the government and everything else I usually do.

I swear, Killian isn't Arthurs' dad, but he is his uncle and they are rather close. I wouldn't worry too much about Killian, he's still very anti-Avarian he won't have any energy to worry about my friends. That is really good about Arthur and Apollo though, it's good to hear he's making friends.

Thank you again for coming over Saturday! I'll have to apologize again for throwing popcorn at the tv and picking at their Egyptian, it really was a very good movie series. I really enjoyed being able to stop and talk about it.

A cup of coffee sounds wonderful! I'm free really whenever, so just let me know when you have some time.

Karissa

Mitchell entered the owlery that afternoon to see if the owl he had sent to Kari had come back or not. Because he wasn't at breakfast that morning, the Muggle Studies figured that it would be waiting for him up here instead. And apparently he was right about thinking that it was, as it came flying down towards him the moment he looked around. He gave the owl some scratches before taking the letter from it as well as a treat and left the owlery to head down to his office, reading the letter while he was making his way down the stairs.

Dear Karissa,

While I do think that I know a fair bit about Wizard politics, I'd much rather answer any questions you might have about your own political system, seeing as that is what I majored in back in University. I will patiently await any questions that Kami and you will throw my way then. You should also let me know when this could take place as soon as you have discussed it with your sister - I'm actually quite excited about this.

Good, because Killian doesn't seem like the type of person who you would want to have against you. I've had my first sit-down with Arthur a couple of days ago. You know, if he would focus more on his grades and less on playing pranks on people, I think he'd do wonderful.

As a historian, I would not have expected otherwise from you, and I mean that in the most positive sense possible. Luckily there was more than enough popcorn left to be consumed, so you're forgiven. I can come around again this weekend if you'd like that? I have a free afternoon on Saturday as I have already finished preparations for my exam, so I have got more than enough time to discuss away. Please let me know if you are available as well so I can start working on some notes!

Mitchell

Kari was humming to herself, shuffling around the apartment. It felt so empty now that Kami had moved out. She was thinking of getting another pet, to keep her company. She kept busy running the bookstore, and it was enough to pay the bills. She was relieved to see another letter from Mitchell. He was really a lifesaver. She read it, smiling softly, before moving about to reply.

Dear Mitchell,

I'm afraid you won't be able to use that knowledge to school me, however, if you're interested in a debate, then do feel free to set aside several hours. Kami would actually be free this weekend, would you be able to come over for dinner Saturday night again? I know she's mostly concerned about being able to understand Arthur's world, they've always been very close and she wants to still be able to help him.

I know, he really would, wouldn't he? Did I tell you that before he left for school he printed out hundreds of pictures of Nicolas Cage and hid them throughout the house? I'm still finding them everywhere. I actually screamed last night when I found one in my notes last night. I was half awake and it startled me.

Actually, I was wanting to go to the pound this weekend. Would you like to come with me? Now that Kami is engaged to Avarian she and Arthur are moving into his house, and she's left the apartment to me. Running the bookstore is relaxing, but Milo and I are a bit lonely. We're looking to find someone else to keep us company. A dog, maybe, or a kitten. What do you think?

Karissa

He always found himself getting excited whenever an owl dropped something off for him. Most of his mail these days consisted out of letters from his friend and the monthly Muggle magazine he was subscribed to. But since the latter had already been delivered to him a couple of days ago, Mitchell knew that the owl coming straight towards him whilst eating breakfast in the Great Hall was bearing Karissa's response with it. He took it from the owl, gave it a treat from out of one of his pockets and turned his attention to the letter. Reading it in silence as his eyes were starting to get cold, the Muggle Studies professor laughed when reading the prank Arthur had pulled on her. Not really knowing how to respond to the last bit of Karissa's letter, he was very confused as to what she meant by it, Mitchell sealed it and give it to the owl who'd deliver it to her.

Dear Karissa,

I would be more than interested in setting aside several hours to discuss politics with you, as would be interested in setting aside several hours to discuss whatever you'd like, actually. I do thoroughly enjoy the conversations that we have together. I'm spending the morning with Apollo but I think that I could do dinner on Saturday night. I will bring some things with me, then. I think I might still have a book somewhere that explains the differences and similarities between the two worlds.

Did he really? That's quite hilarious, actually. Remind me never to get him to work against me again or I might some in my office as well. I think that he has been in my office again, and definitely not alone, because the only one who has a key to my office is Apollo. I found that several things were misplaced the other day, and I think he has found your letters as well, as they were all spread out over my desk.

Mitchell

Users who are viewing this thread

Back