Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Asexual
Wand
Knotted 9 Inch Rigid Laurel Wand with Boomslang venom Core
Mervyn was feeling a lot better for having rested, but he still hadn't completely recovered from Solomon's cruel trick that morning. The fever and the vomiting had subsided, but his stomach muscles ached as if he'd done a hundred sit-ups, and he couldn't think about food without being reminded of what his breakfast had tasted like coming back up. What hurt the most, though, was his bruised dignity. Solomon had chosen the most public place possible for his prank, presumably in order to administer maximum humiliation, and though Mervyn was reluctant to admit it, he'd done a good job. The Gryffindor didn't tend to hold onto embarrassment for long, but the situation did impel him to make a visit to the dungeons. Sapphire had seen everything - been there to help him to the hospital wing - and the last thing Mervyn needed was her turning it into a big deal. Catching a Slytherin on her way into the common room, Mervyn politely asked her to fetch the girl he needed. Then he leaned against the wall and waited, tapping his foot absently on the floor.

Sapphire had been to the library for the first time this year- she had needed a few books on magical pranks and potion brewing. There were three or four in her bag, and she had one open in her hands. Her raven hair acted like a curtain as she made her way back to the common room, head bent over her book as she read intently. She had a sucker in her mouth that she would occasionally switch from one side to the other. She turned another page as she rounded the corner into the dungeons. She had a vague plan forming, but nothing solid. She might need to go talk with Professor Pendleton again, see if he had any insights for her. She was lost enough in her work that she hardly noticed the boy leaning against the wall as she walked by.

Mervyn was just beginning to think it was taking an awfully long time for Sapphire to come out when suddenly she walked right past him. "Oi!" he said, pushing himself off the wall with a start. "I wanna talk to yoo. Not 'ere, though. Got a minute? Let's walk round the dungeons." Preferably a quieter part of them.

Sapphire startled a little, jumping back and holding the book in her hands up, ready to slap whoever it was with the heavy tome. When she comprehended it was just Mervyn, though, she relaxed, slipping the book back into her bag. She watched him with curious sapphire eyes as he said he wanted to talk. Her brow furrowed a bit and she cocked her head to one side, confusion clear on her face. "You... want to talk? To me?" She asked skeptically, before shrugging. She motioned for him to lead the way. "I got time." She was distracted, curious about why Mervyn would seek her out.

Seeing the book come up, Mervyn flinched, holding his hands up defensively. "Bloody 'ell! Is this 'ow you greet everyone?" he asked, somewhere between bemused and amused. For some reason, Sapphire seemed startled by his request. "Unless you know any uvver Sapphires." Taking hold of her arm, he attempted to pull her toward the quieter end of the corridor, where the torches were dim and students scarcely came unless they were lost. "So, about this mornin'," he said. "Wot did you see?"

Sapph snorted and rolled her eyes. "Only when they're stupid enough to sneak up on me," She teased, ignoring his second jibe as it hit a bit closer to home and it was a subject she was currently avoiding. She let him pull her along, sticking her other hand in her jacket pocket as they walked. His next question made his visit make sense. She shrugged, looking up at him from under her lashes. Why was he so tall? Or was it that she was just short?

"I saw whats-his-face slip something into his drink, then he switched goblets with you. I had been looking for Salamander, but I was curious about what was happening. Next thing I knew, you was bleedin, his face changed, and I'm pretty sure you know the rest." She shrugged again, looking away. She couldn't imagine he would have any other purpose for coming down here, unless he was looking for Leda.

Mervyn wanted to protest that he'd never sneaked up on her, but decided to let it drop; Sapphire was scary, and not at all the sort of girl he'd come away from better off if he started an argument with her. He listened to her describe what she'd seen, and then rolled his eyes. "Yes, I know what you saw," he said. Even if she'd missed any of it, he'd explained it to her in the hospital wing. "But, see, that's the wrong answer. Wot I want you to say is that you didn't see nuffink. Get it?" He tapped two fingers to his temple. "Nuffink. 'Cos it ain't nuffink to do wi' yoo. I can 'andle it meself. Awright?"

Sapphire eyed Mervyn with a raised brow, a hint of admiration for the boy. It wasn't often she dealt with people who could take care of their own problems. Or rather, people who attempted to. She gave him a once-over, one arm crossed over her chest and her other elbow propped on it. He was cute, and taller than her, and he looked like he might be able to hold his own in a fight. Though, everyone was taller than her, so that wasn't much.

"Fine," she replied after a moment. "I'll let you deal with it. For now." She met his gaze then, something unreadable in her sapphire eyes. "But if you don't take care of this, I will. I don't tolerate bullies." Her tone grew a bit cold at the end. "I don't care if you're bigger, or older. If you don't knock down that face-changing git, I will."

Her face cleared a bit after and she grinned playfully up at Mervyn. If she knew him better, she might have insisted on handling it herself, but for now, it just seemed like a nice distraction from her studies.

Hearing that Sapphire would let it drop, Mervyn relaxed - but not for long. He groaned inwardly at the thought of her taking this into her own hands. It was very noble, and all that, but he didn't need a second year fighting his battles for him. That was almost more embarrassing than being tricked by Solomon in the first place. "Well, 'e ain't a bully, 'cos I 'urt him first," Mervyn said, hoping Sapphire wouldn't remember that Solomon had actually bullied him first about his accent. "This is exactly why you shouldn't do nuffink, see. You dunno 'alf the story. Anyway, don't you fink you should be pickin' on someone your own size?" That was rich, coming from Mervyn, who could still have passed for a second year himself, but it gave him pleasure to say anyway.

Sapph raised a brow again. She remembered perfectly well what Mervyn had said, but decided to let it drop. She relied on surprise and stealth. She could fight, but she didn't really enjoy it, and she didn't want to bring it into her school life if she could avoid it. It was his last comment that got to her, though. She scoffed and turned her head from Mervyn, looking off at nothing in particular and rubbing her shoulder. "That's just the thing though, ain't it?" Her voice was a bit softer now, a little sad. "Bullies don't care if you're smaller." She shook her head a little and turned back to the other boy with a saucy grin. "That's why you gotta be quick," she teased, her eyes sparkling. If there was one thing she did enjoy, it was frustrating idiots and being clever enough to not get caught.

Mervyn wondered, with horror, if his comment had upset Sapphire. Her sombre look lasted only a moment before she grinned again, but it hadn't gone unnoticed, and Mervyn made a mental note never to tease her about her height again, just in case it made her sad. He snorted. "Fink you're quick, then, do ya?" he asked. She was pretty cute, with that high opinion of herself. "Bet you couldn't take me down."

Permission to godmod granted ;p

Sapphire's eyes narrowed a moment as Mervyn challenged her. She took the empty sucker stick from her mouth and flicked it, a hand on her hip. "Oh, you are so dead," She teased. Then, in a flash, she tackled him. She moved her bag as they fell so that he didn't crack his head on the stone floor. In a matter of moments, she was perched on her heels, hovering above the boy. She grinned playfully down at him. "Quick enough for ya?" She teased, her eyes sparkling.

Mervyn barely had time to register Sapphire moving before the entire world flipped, and suddenly he was lying flat on the cold ground, face screwed up in a mixture of embarrassment and pain. "Yoo dirty cheat," he said. "You didn't gimme any warnin'!" Never mind that that had been the point he'd asked Sapphire to prove. He lay there on the ground for a moment, clutching his still-sore stomach. "Ain't bad down 'ere, actually," he said, with a grin.

Sapphire let out a delighted little laugh as Mervyn called her a cheat. She smiled warmly down at him. She was actually enjoying herself. It wasn't often she got along with someone, and Mervyn seemed like an alright bloke. He was decent company, and she could see them being friends- he interrupted her thoughts, though, with a grin and a sly comment. Sapph actually felt herself blush. She looked at him oddly for a moment. He had to be joking. She shoved his forehead with her index finger, scoffing. "Shut up," She mumbled, her heart thumping weirdly in her chest.

She hopped to her feet, acting as if nothing had happened, and offered the boy a hand up. "Was there something else you wanted or did you come down here just to tell me to mind my own business?" She asked a little sharper than she meant to, her cheeks still red. It wasn't often that someone flustered her.

Mervyn looked like Sapphire had kicked his pygmy puff. He hesitant for but a second before he took her hand and climbed to his feet, suddenly feeling feverish all over again. Concern, embarrassment, and hurt tore his face in three. "Um - no," he said, looking around for his wand, which had fallen out of his pocket. He picked it up, skirting Sapphire's gaze. They both knew what he'd done, and why the air now hung tensely between them. "That was... that was it, really. Remember... nuffink to do wiv it, yeah? Mm..." Twisting on his heel, Mervyn started away in a fast-walk, glancing once or twice over his shoulder to see if Sapphire was still there.

Sapphire let out a sigh as Mervyn hurried away, running a hand through her hair and glancing at his retreating form several times. She should've known he didn't really want to talk to her. Guys like that, well... even regular people avoided her. Why would he...? Her brow furrowed a bit as she realized where her thoughts were. Why was Mervyn Strangeways any different from all the other idiots that she couldn't be bothered with? She shook her head, a bit confused about the entire thing. She made her way to her dorm, deciding that whatever it was, Mervyn had no real reason to talk to her again and she should put the whole thing out of her head.

Still, she couldn't help but find herself thinking, just a bit, about the Gryffindor with the accent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back