Nah To The Ah To The No, No, NO!

Prudence Armstead

OOC First Name
Nichole
Prudence Armstead stood nervously in front of the prepared picnic, her black dress moving ever so slightly with each breeze. She had told herself over and over this was not a date, as if she gave into the notion most likely Asa would once again ask her out - and Prue's heart couldn't take getting closer to him only to have him taken away from her. The blonde, with brunette roots showing through, twisted the tips of her white tennis shoes into the ground, making a small divot under the plaid blanket where the basket sat. She had made a run down into the kitchens and asked for some breads, sparkling juices, things for them to munch on and to drink. After all, it was Valentine's day, it might as well be special.

The Gyffindor had already told Asa she'd be attending the dance with one of her fellow Gryffindors, Phoebe, and thus had something planned separately for them. The sun was going to begin setting soon, and so Prue stood in front of their dinner and waited for him to arrive. At least she could enjoy this moment in the chaos of a death of a student. Something to take her mind off the pain around her she so vividly recognized from losing her fathers, and from losing Nate. Tonight was a break from that, is only Asa could relieve her from her stress - which he always did. prudence sighed. Perhaps she should sit - however she could hear a distant rustling and now wondered if he was only a few meters away and she couldn't see him yet.

Asa was far from nervous. The Slytherin was as cool as the creature on his emblem, and he made his way towards the cliffs. He and Prue had some Valentine's day plans, and whilst he was a little late (as usual), he was sure that the Gryffindor wouldn't mind too much. As he climbed the cliff, looking out at the lake, he began to see the silhouette of the very girl he was here to see, and could smell what he assumed was to be there food. He hummed quietly at the smell of bread, being one of his favourite scents. It was for Valentines day, so he dressed nicely to meet her, but otherwise he didn't plan much at all. It was comfortable, their situation, and he didn't think either was one for shyness or to question themselves, so the Slytherin just rolled with the punches as they came.

"Hey Curls!" he called into the night air, hands now on his hips as he stood behind her. "Fancy seeing you here on such a lovely night. You look nice."​

Prudence was right. From behind her he stepped out of the distance and his voice was easy to hear against the gentle February breeze. The blonde girl swiveled on her heels and smiled. "Curls? Original. I thought you snakes were supposed to be clever." Prudence made her way to be closer to Asa. Though the girl would never admit how she felt for fear of Asa's well being, she knew she liked him - more than anyone else. More than she'd liked Nate. "You look pretty okay too." She spoke before closing the distance, arms around his shoulders and within a few moments she closed completely the space between them to kiss him gently on the lips. "How are you?" She asked in a whisper after breaking their kiss.

Asa snorted. He would have mentioned the intelligence of the infamous Avie, but it seemed like a little too soon after his death. The Slytherin didn't know him, though seeing as he was a prefect he knew enough about him to know that his surprise death wasn't really supposed to be surprising. So in response, he merely chuckled and swept his hand through his hair theatrically. "Please, I'm looking amazing," he assured her, giving her a warm, though cheeky smile. "Honestly though, I'm well. Life just seems to be getting busier though, I already can't wait until I graduate." And it was a far while off yet. Even Prue would be graduating before him, and that sucked. "Anyway, we should get this going. I'm pretty sure this is out of bounds Miss Prefect. We've got lots to talk about!"​

The Gryffindor smiled gently at him. Life was always busy close to this time of the year. He was a fifth year after all. Things would indeed be different with classes and exams - his future was coming upon him quickly, as was hers. "Prefect this year, head girl next." She spoke in a false pride. She wanted the position, but wondered if her lack of popularity would hinder that. After all she wasn't horribly open with new people - and had been told by her sister even her friendly attitude seemed forced now a days. However she didn't mind in the long run, she knew that her animagus training was enough to make her fathers proud. "Oh if you want to rush through the picnic we can just skip it." She teased, turning and pretending to pack up the case.

Asa couldn't help but laugh at her assertion. Prue was confident (some would say overconfident), but Asa liked to think that was why she was in Gryffindor, and not anywhere else. She just wouldn't be Prue without the wild hair and stubborn attitude, and if anyone could be head girl, he wouldn't doubt that it would be the woman herself. She was a nerd as well as a prefect. "Rush? No way! I'm starving and you've worked so hard. You should consider skipping being a witch and starting a lucrative business in hosting," he teased, beginning to pick at some of the food already available.​

She smiled and sat comfortably on the cloth plush blanket. The blonde tossed her hair back and pulled out the sparkling juice and the two plastic "wine" glasses. So it was non-alcoholic, it was still as fancy as she could get for him. Prudence chuckled and nodded. "I bet if i did that I could make good tips. Smile here and there, flirt a little." She teased. "You'd probably be my best tipper though, since you're so hopelessly in love with me." She spoke with a chuckle.

Hopelessly in love was a little far, in the Slytherin's opinion, and he laughed out loud at her, setting his drink down. They bantered often, though it was clear to them both that this wasn't just a 'friends' situation, but nor was it a relationship, either. Friends with benefits probably carried the wrong expectations, but it was certainly something akin to a romantic friendship. "But of course! I couldn't have you living in poverty, now could I?" He picked a little more at the food, but he wasn't here to eat in the end. "So, how's like going, Freckles?"​

"Poverty is a little far. I'm sure with the inheritance I have I'm a little better off than you think." She spoke honestly, tryign hard not to break the banter between them, or break the good mood. Prudence, whom had a small obsession with sparkling grape juice, downed her drink. She then moved and laid halfway down, her head rested comfortably against Asa, not bothering to ask for permission before getting mildly cuddly with him. "It's okay, I'm almost as full transformation with my training. I'm excited." She breathed, her eyes closed. "Saveli has been weird lately. I feel like we reversed roles. But it's okay, she'll grow up. I just had to you know?" Prudence opened her eyes and looked up at Asa. "At least i have you for when I get bored." The blonde poked his cheek delicately, showing she was teasing.

"Oh yes, and what a great distraction I am," the Slytherin replied just as mockingly. In the past he had asked if they would officially date, but each question ended in either the Gryffindor laughing him off, or change the subject. He wasn't sure if he was offended or amused by it, but it only made him ask more frequently than otherwise. He sipped his drink and enjoyed the comfortable silence between them, tilting his head to lean back on her when she got herself comfortable, and looked up into the cool blue sky. Several minutes passed before he put his drink down again. "Now, I'm willing to bet I know what you're going to say, but I'm going to ask anyway. Why is it we can chill like this and it's totally fine, but if I ask if we can go out, it's suddenly weird?"​

of course things would eventually become weird - why would Prue expect anything but that. The studen moved into a seated position. How was she supposed to answer him? "Because... I just know you're better off." She muttered. It was a lame thing to say, but it was the best she wouldn't think of without lying to her, and without humiliating myself

Asa snorted, his eyebrow raising. "You know I'd be better off?" he questioned, highly amused. "Of course I would be, you're an @rsehole, but so am I, so I guess we're as bad as each other." In reality, her response just wasn't a good enough reason. If she didn't like him, that was fair enough. But she was just rolling around wasting both their time in his eyes. "You'll have to think of a better reason then that, Prefect."​

Prudench shot a glare at him. "I am not an @rse!" She spoke in false defense. Prue didn't want to ruin dinner. She wanted things to be nice for them but he pushed again. "Listen everyone I get close to is Dying. You think it's coincidence I don't tell anyone j love them anymore. You think it's coincidence Venn and I don't hand out anymore? I don't want anyone else dying." Years gathered in the corner of her eyes but she refused to cry. Not now. Not in front of Asa. Her fist was bunched in the blanket and she looked away, unable to really make eye contact.

Asa laughed out loud. "Hole," he corrected, trying to be helpful. "There were a few extra letters there, my friend, and they're important." He was trying to keep it light-hearted, but there were very few things that could keep this conversation light hearted, it would seem. He didn't quite understand what she was saying - it was a bit insane, really. If he was going to die, he'd die whether Prue had told him she 'loved him' or not, which was another thing that made his eyebrows rise. "Okay, well firstly, this isn't a marriage proposal or some crazy declaration of love. This is dating, people our age do it, it's natural." He politely ignored her watering eyes, which had she been anyone else, he would have jeered at. "Secondly, if I do happen to die, it'll probably be because of my stupidity, but because you're dating me. The world doesn't work like that unless you're like, in the mob. I respect and appreciate that you don't want me dying, but you aren't really in control of that. It's okay."​

Prudence shook her head and rolled her eyes. "Forgive me for being skeptical but I am pretty sure I'm a death magnet. Both of my Dads passed away in a car accident. On the same night. My last boyfriend died under mysterious circumstances and no one has ever found his body. Asa I'm not saying your stupidity wouldn't get you killed but if I keep losing people I'm going to go insane. I care about you, way more than I should be allowed to care about anyone if i want them to live at this point." She admitted finally, looking in the opposite direction of her romantic interest. She wished he could see what it was like inside of her confused mind. She was convinced that if she walled up and sealed off, at least when people died she'd stop caring. "I mean Avie was a prefect, sure i didn't know the kid well other than his weird rock fetish, but he's dead too. I know people die as a part of life but that's supposed to happen when they are old. And grey. Not still kids. Not middle aged..." She sighed. "I'm sorry I tricked you into thinking that this whatever we are would ever be normal, but I might as well be a thestral with the way I atract death and poor circumstances. You deserve better in your life." And as if someone snapped their fingers, Prudence's last wall fell down, and she made eye contact with Asa - blue orbs vulnerable but not yet shedding the tears that lurked behind.

The young Slytherin was rather speechless. It was quite a lot to take in, and he wasn't sure how Prue had wandered around the school carrying all that without being a maniac (although, it did explain her exclusion from most others). Not everyone had their parents die, and then their boyfriend die. The worst Asa could say was that his pet frog died when he was seven, and he hadn't liked that frog anyway. He awkwardly scratched behind his ear, the silence now being oppressive. "Well... okay, I've got nothing," he admitted. "I don't know what to say beyond I'm sorry half the things you care about have died, that's pretty major." He was drowning here. He hadn't really signed up to a comfort parade, and hadn't expected Prue to be carrying enough bags to backpack around Europe, either. But he couldn't just give her a pat on the back and leave, she was his friend-thing-not-girlfriend. He sighed. "What I'm trying to say is, I... hm. Well, go at your pace, I guess."​

Prudence was nearly ready to call it a night. Take her two bottles of sparkling juice and mope in her room. Maybe some of the cheeses too. She was going to be alone forever anyways what did it matter if she got fat? Asa spoke though, adn she held off on the not-wine and cheese fest to listen. Her eyes were focused on the blanket once more, and as he finished Prudence snorted back a laugh and a few tears escaped her eyes. "Merlin, best sympathy I've ever gotten. Should put that in a letter and send it to hallmark." The curly haired student looked at Asa and shook her head. "I've just opened up my head and showed you what is going on and you just want me to go at my own pace?" She inquired, as if disbelieving him, that he'd still want to ask her out. Caving in though she nodded for a moment. "Alright, then you better at least ask properly." She remarked quietly, for once suggesting that maybe the answer would be yes.

Asa rolled his eyes, he wasn't very good at the sympathy thing, and she damn-well knew it. He shrugged when she questioned him, but it was the only conclusion he could reach. If she was going to keep dumping bombs like that, he didn't want to be adding to the problem, especially when he wasn't entirely sure if he could handle it to its entirety. But as long as she was willing to try, so was he. "Okay, okay," he said through laughter, before clearing his throat dramatically. "Would you, Prudence Armstead, go out with me?" He remained as serious and composed as possible, not allowing himself to burst into laughter, but a grin escaped anyway.​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back