Morning Dew

Helena Zingini

Summer in December was an oddity to Helena, for in Bristol Christmases were white. But it was not the snow she missed right now. It was her father, and his dry humor and good company. He hadn't replied to her letters, but that was no surprise to her. He was probably in some remote forest or jungle somewhere carrying out his research, and Helena longed to be with him, lost in the wilderness with only their senses to guide them. Helena's mother had been quite decisive about Helena returning home for the holidays, but there was no chance in hell that she was going to spend Christmas with her monstrous step-father. No, not this year. So Helena purposely missed the Hogwarts train, and had been postponing answering her mother's furious letters. Why bother?
The Cliffs overlooked a beautiful view of Hogwarts New Zealand, especially at dawn when the morning dew made everything shine in the light. But this morning, Helena was in no mood to admire the scenery. She was lost in thought.

Andrew had just come back after enjoying his holiday to the fullest in America with one of his best friend, Jacob Cooper. It was winter in America and thus he had enjoyed the snow camps and the forest of frozen trees where they had hiked. Over the past month, Andrew had got used to waking up early at six and playing Soccer and Qudditch with Jake and his cousin, Hannah.Thus he had woken up early today and with nothing to do, this Slytherin planned to go out to the grounds for a morning jog.

Andrew put on dark brown shorts and a white t-shirt and ran a comb through his messy hair. Tying his shoe lace, he took a bottle of water and walked out to the grounds. He decided to go towards the cliffs to enjoy the morning view. He sighed as the fact that he hadn't taken his camera with him crossed his mind. Anyway, you can do that next week he thought as he ran across the lawns and came to the cliffs.

It was beautiful to see the Sun rising slowly and the morning air whipped through his hair. His breath was fast and he looked around to see birds chripping in the forest when he noticed a girl sitting there. Andrew realized that he recognized her from classes. "Hi, what are you doing here early in the morning?"he asked with a smile.

Helena was surprised at the sound of another person, but was at least glad it was no annoying first year or Hufflepuff to dampen her day so early in the morning. "Oh hi, Andrew right?" Helena remembered the boy's name from a few classes they had together, but wasn't quite sure she right. She had never really spoken to him before. "Well... it's funny you should ask, because I don't actually know. I guess I just like to escape the castle from time to time. What better place to go than the cliffs?"

"Yes, Andrew Bruke and you?"he asked with a smile as he sat beside her and looked at the sunrise. He agreed that cliffs was a good place to be when someone wanted peace. "If you don't mind me asking, why did you need to escape from the castle?"he asked her wanting to know this fourth year better. Of course, if it was something personal that she didn't want to talk about it was okay with Andrew.

"Helena Zingini," she answered smiling back at the boy. It felt odd for her to be in the company of another, for she had gone so long being on her own at this school. But it also felt nice to feel like she was making a friend.
"No, I don't mind you asking. The castle, well..." Helena began, feeling a little embarrassed now. "...it's pretty lonely for me. I've never really liked being confined between solid walls. I prefer the wilderness and open spaces you see... Like this-" Helena nodded ahead to the view before them. "It reminds me of someone close to me. Someone I really miss."

"Oh, I see" he said with a smile. "That's natural..you see I was the same type in my first year but I changed" he said remembering the time during his second year when he had friends. "I like the wilderness when I want to be alone or take pictures"he said thoughtfully. He always liked the forest due to that fact. He also like going to camps and long hikes and mountain climbing. All that involved a lot of open spaces and vegetation.

Andrew wanted to ask who that someone close was but he didn't press it. "Which electives have you taken?"he asked her curiously because he couldn't remember the exact classes were he saw Helena. "I have Divination, COMC and Arthimacy" he informed Helena with a smile.

"Yep, good for privacy and solitude." Helena smiled. "Electives? Well, I take Ancient Runes and Muggle Studies. But I'm hoping to replace the latter with Care of Magical Creatures." Helena was beginning to like this boy, he was nice. And what was also nice, was the change of having someone to talk to.

"Why?"he asked her curiously wanting to know what about Muggle studies did Helena dislike. "Care Of Magical Creatures is fun, that I cannot deny but some creatures are dangerous but I like it that way. Where is the fun without a bit of danger?" he said with a grin.

"So where do you come from?"he asked wanting to know more about the girl. After all they were house and classmates, surely they had to be friends. "I lived in England but after my first years shifted to New Zealand with my god mother Mallory Malkin" he told her a bit about himself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back