Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Widow
Sexual Orientation
Bisexual
MARCUS OSCAR CARNAHAN
full
BASIC INFO;
i'm like a child looking off in the horizon, i'm like an ambulance that's turning on the sirens, I'm still alive
i'm like a soldier coming home for the first time, i dodged a bullet, and i walked across a landmine, I'm still alive

MARCUS
Roman praenomen, or given name, that was probably derived from the name of the Roman god Mars. This was among the most popular of the Roman praenomina. Famous bearers include Marcus Tullius Cicero (known simply as Cicero), a 1st-century BC statesman and orator, Marcus Antonius (known as Mark Antony), a 1st-century BC politician, and Marcus Aurelius, a notable 2nd-century emperor. This spelling has occasionally been used in the English-speaking world, though the traditional English form Mark has been more common (from behindthename).

OSCAR
Possibly means "deer friend", derived from Old Irish oss "deer" and carae "friend". Alternatively, it may derive from the Old English name Osgar or its Old Norse cognate Ásgeirr, which may have been brought to Ireland by Viking invaders and settlers. (from behindthename).

CARNAHAN
From the Irish Cearnaghan, meaning "victorious" (from behindthename). Marcus likes his surname because it shows his Irish heritage and he is happy to embrace this even if he doesn't know much about his heritage other than its country of origin. Marcus is happy his family and children share this surname and wants to keep the surname for the remainder of his life.

BIRTHDAY
Marcus was born December 1st 2009 in New York city. His star sign is Sagittarius. He is the first and only child to his parents and does not have any siblings or extended family members.

RESIDENCE
Marcus currently lives in Burke's Pass, New Zealand, in the New York Brownstone home he and his late wife moved to New Zealand with. Marcus over time has renovated some parts of the house but for the most part the house has most of its original character from a lack of renovation, and has lots of quirky pieces of furniture and many family pictures and pictures his children have drawn over the years decorating the walls. The house is always a bit messy from the chaos of the children when they are home from school, but Marcus does attempt to clean it if they ever have guests around.

PARENTS
Conan and Bridget Carnahan. Marcus was close to both of his parents and shared a good relationship with them, despite the fact his dad often worked long hours and despite the expectations both his parents had of him. Marcus is well aware his parents wanted him to be successful both in school at in his career and to make money, and knows that if they could have chosen his career it wouldn't be as a comic artist and illustrator, but even if they had different expectations and pressured him at times to fit those expectations they overall still supported him and Marcus was appreciative of this. Marcus' father passed away when Marcus was in his late twenties, and Marcus' mother passed away when he was in his thirties as they had Marcus late in their lives, but Marcus is happy for the time he did spend with them.

EDUCATION
Marcus spent the entirety of his magical education at Ilvermorny. He was sorted into Thunderbird and thinks of his time at school to be one of the happiest times of his life. Marcus was one of the class clowns and made many friends while he was at school, and spent most of his free time drawing and pulling pranks on his peers and his professors. He graduated with average at best grades but does not think he wasted his time, as he still did learn lots of practical magic to pull pranks and he made the most of having no responsibilities.

PROFESSION
Marcus is currently a comic artist for the Daily Prophet in New Zealand. Marcus has pursued a career as a cartoonist for most of his life, and he considers his job at the Daily Prophet to be his dream job. He loves to make others laugh and find humor in current events that might be otherwise distressing so he loves that he has the chance to hopefully make others laugh when times are difficult and bring families together. Currently Marcus wants to become an illustrator for magical children's books on the side, but is unsure of how to pursue this.

WAND
Knotted 11 Inch Whippy Dogwood Wand with Fairy Wing Core.
  • Length: A fairly average length for a wand, not at all uncommon or very special.
  • Style: The knots of this wand's original wood remain clearly visible - earthy, this style of wand is perhaps most traditional and closest to nature.
  • Wood: Dogwood wands are mischievous, and like the same in those who wield them. They refuse to perform non-verbal magic (and are often quite loud), and look for fun and excitement. However, in the right hands a wand with this wood should not be underestimated.
  • Core: Wands with this core are good for charms spell-casting. Be warned that they do sometimes lead to failed hexes.
  • Flexibility: Whippy: A wand that is quite simple to master but lacks power.
from Ollivander's wand shop descriptions.

BLOOD STATUS
Mixed blood. Marcus understands he is from mixed magical heritages, and doesn't feel any particular way about his blood status. He is not prejudiced in regards to blood status and would gladly find humor in those that do.​

APPEARANCE;
am I bleeding from the storm? just shine a light into the wreckage so far away, cause i'm still
breathing on my own, my head's above the rain and roses, making my way away

BUILD
Marcus is of an average height and build for his age, and is more soft and not particularly toned as he doesn't make much of an effort to keep fit. Marcus was short for most of his childhood and only really had growth spurts after going to school, and he doesn't feel any particular way about his build. He knows he is not fit and toned but also does not expect himself to be, and he is happy with the way he is.

STYLE
Marcus in regards to clothing and his personal style very much favors comfort over anything else, and in most other aspects of his life he also loves to show humor through his clothing. He loves to wear soft cardigans and sweaters and wear trousers that fit him properly and don't cut into his tummy too much, and most of the time can be seen in a soft cardigan and sweater. He loves to wear sneakers like converse and is fond of t shirts with logos and funny sayings, and in the holiday season loves a good tacky Christmas sweater. He also loves celebrating Halloween and has many seasonal sweaters on top of just Christmas sweaters. Marcus also in a typical dad sense loves a terrible Hawaiian shirt and any overly patterned button up. For formal occasions Marcus often wears a blazer on top of a t shirt and tends to be pretty casual despite the occasion. He isn't afraid to wear bright colours when he sees it fitting.

EYE COLOUR
Marcus' eyes are a dark green to a hazel colour that he inherited from his mother, and he doesn't feel any particular way about his eye colour.

HAIR
Marcus has medium brown coloured hair that he likes to keep short, and he often styles it to be spiked at the front. Marcus similarly to many aspects of his appearance doesn't feel one way or the other, he understands how he looks and accepts how he is and doesn't think too much about changing any part of his appearance.

GLASSES
Marcus from years of drawing in low light has developed shortsightedness and because of this wears glasses most of the time. The glasses he wears are simple with dark frames and he doesn't really stray from this or wear glasses that stand out too much, he thinks the rest of this style stands out enough as is. He does sometimes forget or lose his glasses so can be seen without them sometimes as well, even if he doesn't have contact lenses.​

MISCELLANEOUS;
i'm like a loser that's betting on his last dime, I'm still alive, I'm like a son that was raised
without a father, i'm like a mother barely keeping it together, I'm still alive, c'ause I'm still breathing

ORIENTATIONS
Marcus identifies as both Biromantic and Bisexual, an orientation he realised was fitting for him when he was in school. He is interested in both men and women, but hasn't ever seriously sated a man. He isn't particularly open about his orientations either, and regrets that he wasn't able to find the courage to come out to his parents before they passed away.

RELATIONSHIP STATUS
Marcus is currently single, and is widowed. He hasn't properly dealt with the passing of his wife almost a decade ago and very much has a barrier up and hasn't considered dating because he is focused on raising his family. Getting into a relationship would be very healing for Marcus and he is very lonely but he keeps himself too distracted currently to realise this.

BOGGART
If Marcus encountered a Boggart it would show as a head stone, that would have the names of the members of his family on it. Marcus' biggest fear is losing more members of his family and being well and truly alone, so a head stone would be the representation of this fear as an image. When casting Riddikulus the head stone would then grow a pair of cartoon arms and legs and a top hat, and begin dancing. This sight would cheer Marcus up and cause him to laugh, and he would find the cartoon imagery of it familiar given his career as a cartoonist.

PATRONUS
Marcus' patronus would appear as a Capuchin monkey. This is because monkeys are often portrayed as mischievous and Capuchin Monkeys are known to be more intelligent monkeys and in Marcus opinion would make them more likely to be mischievous. Monkeys are also commonly known as circus animals and this along with many other reasons, including how territorial and aggressive Capuchin monkey's can be would contribute to Marcus feeling both comforted and protected by his patronus as a Capuchin monkey. Marcus' patronus memory would be the first Christmas he and Mona shared with all their children after they adopted Thistle, as it was the first time their family was all together and Marcus felt truly happy and like he was living the life he had always dreamed of.

MIRROR OF ERISED
If Marcus looked into the Mirror of Erised, he would currently see himself and his late wife Mona growing old together. Marcus always imagined he would grow old with Mona and that they would always become parents and eventually grandparents to an amazing family, and though Marcus has experienced part of this with Mona, she passed away before they had the chance to grow old. Marcus is devastated he missed this opportunity and it would be his greatest desire to see it become a reality, even if he knows it is no longer possible. The image of he and Mona growing old together would simultaneously comfort him and devastate him because he knows this can no longer happen.​

PERSONALITY;
as i walked out on the ledge, are you scared to death to live? and i've been running all my life
just to find a home that's for the restless, ad the truth that's in the message, making my way away

INTERESTS AND HOBBIES
Marcus is interested in many things, and reads the newspaper and keeps up current events and politics because it is both something he is interested in and something he needs to be clued into for the sake of his comic writing. He is interested in pranks and silliness and loves to read joke books and think of funny pranks he can pull around the house to make his children laugh and pranks he can try and put together in the workplace to the annoyance of his co workers. Marcus is interested in many different subjects generally and tends to randomly read about subjects he finds interesting in the moment, so over the years he has gathered a lot of otherwise useless facts about different topics. He loves comedy and muggle cartoons as well as magical cartoons and images, he would love one day to be able to write children's books for magical children and charm his illustrations in the books to life in a similar way he does to his cartoons. Marcus has an appreciation for nature and the outdoors and loves animals and magical creatures. He loves studying animals and drawing them, and reading about different magical creatures and their uniqueness.

STRENGTHS
Marcus at the core has a good heart and wants whats best for his family and the people he cares about, and strives to keep everyone happy around him. He is endlessly supportive of his children and family and will stand behind them through thick and thin. Marcus tries his best to be optimistic and is cheerful, focusing on the bright side of life even on his darkest days. He loves spreading joy and making the people around him laugh and let their hair down, he wants everyone to feel happy and have fun when they are around him. Marcus is creative and pays attention to detail both in the sense of his art and in the sense of taking care of and solving problems of the people he cares about, and he always tries to help the people he loves find a way to be happy and focus on the good in the world. Marcus loves being in groups and making everyone laugh and being the life of the party, and he also loves to help people who are shy and quiet come out of their shells, and generally he lives life with an air of happiness and can rarely be seen without a smile.

WEAKNESSES
Marcus' constant striving for happiness and his love of humor and pranks are directly related to his most prominent weakness of avoiding his problems. Laughter and silliness are often a mask he uses to cover up his true feelings and a way for him to deny himself the opportunity to properly feel and experience sadness, and this is especially prominent in his grief over his wife's passing. Marcus is yet to properly deal with his grief and throughout the years as focused on anything other than his grief and the loneliness he feels over the fact he is raising his children alone. Another result of Marcus denying himself an opportunity to deal with his feelings and hiding behind laughter and silliness is that he is emotionally quite immature, and has trouble understanding when he has upset someone. He also has trouble understanding when the situation calls for seriousness as he relied on his late wife to remind him when he should leave the humor for another time. He often can be seen as insensitive in difficult circumstances, and can easily upset people when they are trying to be taken seriously and he is his usual joking self. Additionally Marcus can be very co-dependent both in his friendship and romantic relationships and since his wife's passing this is another weakness of this that has become very obvious. Overall Marcus too avoids anything difficult in his life, and instead of dealing with his emotions and moving forward, focuses on humor to keep himself sane but this is truly holding him back from being properly mature and properly connecting with others.

PERSONALITY TYPE
The Campaigner: ENFP-A
Campaigners (ENFPs) are true free spirits – outgoing, openhearted, and open-minded. With their lively, upbeat approach to life, they stand out in any crowd. But even though they can be the life of the party, Campaigners don’t just care about having a good time. These personality types run deep – as does their longing for meaningful, emotional connections with other people. Friendly and outgoing, Campaigners are devoted to enriching their relationships and their social lives. But beneath their sociable, easygoing exteriors, they have rich, vibrant inner lives as well. Without a healthy dose of imagination, creativity, and curiosity, a Campaigner simply wouldn’t be a Campaigner.

In their unique way, Campaigners can be quite introspective. They can’t help but ponder the deeper meaning and significance of life – even when they should be paying attention to something else. These personalities believe that everything – and everyone – is connected, and they live for the glimmers of insight that they can gain into these connections.

When something sparks their imagination, Campaigners can show an enthusiasm that is nothing short of infectious. These personalities radiate a positive energy that draws in other people, and Campaigners may find themselves being held up by their peers as a leader or guru. But once the initial bloom of inspiration wears off, Campaigners can struggle with self-discipline and consistency, losing steam on projects that once meant so much to them. (from 16personalities.com/)

HISTORY;
cause I'm still breathing on my own, my head's above the rain and roses, making my way away
still breathing on my own, my head's above the rain and roses, making my way away, my way to you

EARLY YEARS
Marcus Oscar Carnahan was born December 1st 2009, in New York city to Irish-American parents Conan and Bridget Carnahan. As an only child and the only child in the third generation of his family born in the united states, and to his parents who were well into their forties and unable to have more children, Marcus spent the first part of his life soaking up as much attention as he could from his family, especially by his mother who he spent the most time with while his father worked at a local magical book store. It was with his mother that Marcus learned to read and write as he helped her around the house. He was always a social child and rarely if ever stopped asking questions and talking, however in spite of wanting to have friends his age he spent the majority of his childhood alone, a circumstance that was only cemented further when he grew older and he realised he wouldn't have any siblings either, as he began to understand and overhear a few of his parents arguments.

Marcus therefore spent much of his time focusing his attention on reading comics and drawing instead of focusing on how lonely he felt, and of course talking whenever he had the chance. He loved making his mother laugh with silly jokes whenever she was sad and he especially loved to read the newspaper with his father each morning, finding the moving pictures fascinating but especially loving the comics. His favorite memories from his youngest years were trying to complete the crossword puzzles with his father whenever they ate breakfast, and of drawing over the comics to give them his own spin and commentary to bring a smile to his mother's face.

SCHOOL YEARS
When Marcus was finally school aged he soon traveled to Ilvermorny to begin his magical education. It was after reaching Ilvermorny that he was sorted into Thunderbird and paired with his wand, and he truly began to blossom and grow up. Marcus was his usual social self, greeting everyone in his year happily and soon meeting another boy in Thunderbird that shared his love of comics and jokes. Marcus quickly considered the boy his best friend and partner in crime as they both easily fell into the role of class clowns. He and Marcus often asked silly, obvious and redundant questions during classes and began to plan otherwise harmless pranks much to the dismay of his professors, and though Marcus' grades left much to be desired, he was learning how to use magic to cause pranks and was having fun and truly happy making his friends and classmates laugh everyday.

The first few years of Marcus' education was some of the happiest times of Marcus' life, and he went through these years carefree and not letting his grades or lack thereof bother him because he was having fun and learning in some ways with the pranks he was pulling, even if it wasn't everything he knew he should have been learning. He spent his spare time as well not focusing on homework and instead drawing in the margins of his notebooks and the corners of his parchment whenever he could.

It wasn't until he reached his fourth year that he realised his grades mattered, or had begun to matter as his peers were deciding what elective subjects to take and thinking about which careers they wanted to have for the rest of their lives. Marcus unlike his peers was entirely clueless about how he wanted to spend his life after school, as he was focused on having fun being young and having no responsibilities. Marcus instead of addressing the problem that was his lack of motivation for his future, continued to spend the rest of his schooling winging life and acting carefree and that his lack of decisions about his future didn't bother him. He spent his time having fun, and pulling pranks on his teachers. In his later years he dated a couple of people his age but wasn't too focused or interested in romance even if his peers were. By the time Marcus graduated he did so with average at best grades, and with no prospects returned to his parent's home to figure out how he wanted to spent the rest of his life.

ADULTHOOD
Marcus began his adulthood with little to no idea of how he wanted to spend his life or how he wanted to make money to support himself. The only thing Marcus truly wanted to do was draw and make his friends and family laugh but his family didn't believe that was enough for him to make a living and support himself. Due to his father's pressure Marcus instead of pursuing the only thing he was interested in, soon found a job delivering magical publications around the city. It was a job Marcus worked in for a few months in before being fired for slacking off and not meeting his responsibilities or delivery expectations. He was fired again from his next job as a shop assistant for constant tardiness and scaring away customers with his pranks, and only after being fired from his second job did Marcus realise he needed to be serious and think seriously about how he was spending his time.

Marcus turned to the newspaper for career ideas, however in his attempt to be serious soon found himself bored and turned to the page of comics and puzzles. It was as he was drawing over one of the unsurprisingly dull comics to make it funnier, that a light bulb switched on in his mind and he realised he wanted to draw comics in news papers and make families around the table at breakfast laugh each morning to start their day off happily. With this new idea and a new found motivation he hadn't felt before, Marcus picked up his favorite sketchbook and began drawing, creating a caricature of the front page news of that day's paper that he intended to show various magical publications in the hope of finding someone that wanted to pay him for it.

It took months, but after working tirelessly and dealing with the judgement and expectations of his parents to achieve more than being a professional comic artist Marcus finally found his first paying job as a comic writer. All of the larger publications had turned him down from lack of experience but one of the smaller and new publications found his commentary and point of view on current events and the dismissal and caricature of them worth publishing and Marcus was ecstatic. The job paid little to nothing but Marcus felt he was making his mark on the world and that even if only one person laughed at his comics it was a laugh the world wouldn't otherwise have heard.

Marcus lived with his parents for the next few years as they grew older, wanting to take care of them as his father retired. They didn't have much money saved and Marcus' career paid barely enough for him to support himself let alone his parents, but as a twenty-something year old who had found his passion Marcus was intent and determined to make his situation work. He took on various freelancing jobs as both an artist and comic artist when he was able to, and traveled to different parts of New York with as little expense as he could manage, drawing sights and images in the magical community to commentate on and caricature. He found it interesting to comment on the political climate in the wizarding community as well as the history of New York, and he even discovered some of the real culture of the city as he traveled around, scribbling in his sketchbook.

It was on his travels within the city that Marcus met a local musician named Desdemona, who completely and entirely enthralled him. He was drawing storefronts at the time, outlining the old and new instruments in the window of a music store when he met her, and basically fell in love at first sight. He tried his best to impress her and make her laugh with his pranks and humor and they soon bonded over their mutual creativity. It was no surprise when they began dating and later ended up married a few years later, and Marcus and Desdemona with their mutual funds soon managed to purchase an old, rundown brownstone house in the heart of the city. Marcus was happy, really and truly happy for the first time in his life and thought he was living a fairy tale. It was a haze of optimism brought on not by necessity and his joking nature to better his circumstances, but instead true happiness for the first time.

This happiness did not last long however as a few years later Marcus' father passed away from old age, and Marcus' mother in her old age fell too ill to live independently. The pollution in the new york air did little to help her condition either, and this change paired with a new opportunity for Mona's career influenced the decision Marcus and Mona made to magically transport their home to a stretch of farmland they purchased in New Zealand to find a fresh start.

With their new peaceful, and less polluted environment and with family on Marcus' mind it only made sense for Marcus and Mona to begin the journey of having children. Marcus being an only child always wanted to raise a large family so after they welcomed their only biological daughter, Theia Carnahan to the world a couple of years later after slight complications, they furthermore began the journey of fostering and adopting to create the family they had always wanted. By the time Theia was four they had adopted a three year old Sawyer Carnahan and later adopted an infant Felix Carnahan, to be followed by the adoption of the youngest of their family, Thistle Carnahan. With all four of the children and Desdemona and his mother under the same roof Marcus truly had the family life he had always wished for.

Marcus' mother passed shortly after their family had become whole but with the support of Mona and the happiness he felt being around all of their children, Marcus tried his best to life his life to the fullest and work through his grief, all while still trying his hardest to keep the children happy and make the family laugh. Even as Mona began to grow ill only a few years after this Marcus tried to keep everyone happy and laughing, believing that laughter was the best medicine and could cure anything. Marcus believed that with Mona and the Children all together they could face anything the world threw at them, and that Mona's illness was something their happiness and bond as a family would be able to overcome eventually.

It was devastating when Mona became too sick to continue fighting her illness. She passed away shortly before Christmas and Marcus feeling more devastated than he thought was possible, realised he would now be otherwise alone in raising his family. He tried to pick up the pieces and put his family back together the only way he knew how, being the silly parent and making everyone laugh. However without Mona's seriousness to balance out his humor, it wasn't long the cracks in the home Marcus thought he had patched up with pranks started to show and Marcus noticed he was out of his depth. Marcus noticed Theia as she grew into the age to begin schooling was taking up responsibilities that he couldn't, and Marcus tried his best to make her laugh and reassure her things would be alright, even if he felt he was failing at being the parent he needed to be.

As Theia left to begin her schooling at Hogwarts, Marcus felt as if he was running on fumes, holding up the fort and trying to keep everyone happy. He wanted each of his children to spend their time at school having fun and making friendships and memories to last a lifetime, and learning without being weighed down by responsibilities or stresses at home. He continued making everyone laugh and living as a single parent, soon seeing Sawyer off to Hogwarts and eventually also seeing Felix and Thistle leave to begin their education. It wasn't until Theia had graduated and become independent, and the rest of the children were away at Hogwarts that Marcus realised how alone he truly was in the home he and his late wife had built. In an effort to keep himself together Marcus focused on his work, trying desperately to avoid the feeling of loneliness setting in.

The original template and coding is by Teigan, edits to the coding and template are by me, lyrics are from Still Breathing by Green Day, name information is from behind the name and personality type information is from 16personalities.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back