Not open for further replies.

Aurora Night

OOC First Name
Kathy
Sexual Orientation
Personalities
Wand
Wild 10 3/4 Inch Reasonably Supple Ebony Wand with Dragon Heartstring Core
This suggestion may be futile due to programming logic beyond my understanding, but I was wondering if it was at all possible to allow macronised letters (specfically vowels) to be used on the board? I gather it's an issue with bbcode itself, but if there were any little black magic ways of getting around that, that would be amazing.

Mostly I'm suggesting this because te reo (the Maaori language) uses macrons to indicate long vowels, and that's really not pleasing to the eye (fun fact: in New Zealand publishing, if a typeface doesn't include macrons, someone will sit down in the software and individiually place an en-dash over each individual te reo vowel that needs a macron). And because this is Hogwarts New Zealand... people are interested in using te reo on the board, and the lack of macrons makes correct spelling really difficult. If a change is possible to make, I think it would be good for inclusiveness and respect of the culture the site's world is predominantly set in.

Hi Kathy,

Thank you for your suggestion. We’re aware that this is Hogwarts New Zealand- it says so on the top of our board :p - and,as you can see from Nick’s post from earlier today, you can include macrons in your posts.

Nick has also been kind enough to provide me with a link to share with you all that assists with special entities that can be of use as you roleplay. Many are simply fixed when you post instead of only preview your posts but for those that aren't, there's this .

Cyndi

Yes, this one was solved for me rather quickly xD
Thank you for this though – I can finally have proper en dashes and em dashes— and “typographer’s quotes”!

(I’m now a publishing/editing student; this has literally made my entire year =)) )

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back