Letters from Home

Sophia Stark

OOC First Name
Kaela
Sophia was sitting in the Library doing some studying with Regina swooped and landed on her table. Looking up in surprise Sophia removed the letter Regina was carrying and dismissed her, not bothering to watch as she swooped back out the open window. Opening the letter Sophia saw it was from her mother and did her best to shield if from all other eyes.
My Darling Sophia,

Yes of course I would love to have you over for your Winter Break.  I have spoken with Tristan and he will be taking Erik, so it will just me you, me, and your uncle Montague.  But do not worry, I am certain you will enjoy his company.

Sophia, I must be completely honest with you.  Yes, your memory has been tampered with.  I cannot possibly tell you what about and the like, but I will tell you it was your father's will that caused it to happen.  It is all very complicated and not something I wish I to discuss through owl.

Anyway, I hope your term is going well and I look forward to seeing you over the break.  Will Ford be joining you?

Looking forward to hearing back,
Your Mother

Ford wandered into the library looking for Sophia, she had been distant of late, and Ford was worried. And what little time they had spent together, she had been more closed off than usual. He poked around the library for a few minutes before he found Sophia reading a letter.

"Hello there," he said, walking up to her, "What's that you are reading?"

Sophia clutched the letter to her chest when she heard Ford's voice, looking up at him with a blank expression. "Oh, hello Ford. Just a letter from my mother. What brings you to the Library?" She tried not to seem too surprised or anything by his appearance but really Sophia had been hoping to be alone.

"I was just looking for you," Ford said and sat across from Sophia, "You have been relatively closed off recently, and I was concerned as to why." Ford said, deciding not to beat around the bush, but rather to throw the damn thing out entirely. Sophia was one of the few people with whom he could be this frank, otherwise he would have simply let the conversation play out.

Sophia blinked her golden eyes in surprise at Ford's directness. Taking her gaze off of him she folded up the letter and set it underneath her book. Turning back to Ford she sighed softly.

"I...I just have had a lot on my mind lately," Sophia said quietly.

"The same things that were on your mind at the Feast?" Ford asked bluntly.

Sophia's mouth dropped open momentarily and she immediately snapped it shut. She was amazed at Ford and how he was approaching all of this. "Yes, why?" She tried her best to remain calm, which made her expression seem cold and harsh.

Ford was secretly happy at Sophia's reaction to his question, he had had enough drama with girls and wanted things to be laid out on the table before people reacted to them. "What's going on? My guess is that is has to do with that letter."

"Yes, that is part of it. You know things with my parents are complicated." Sophia was getting nervous but hoped that it was not showing to Ford. She really did not want to share with him that she had shared many of her concerns with Bruin, and had been thinking about him a lot lately. Ford was certain not to take that news well at all, and the last thing Sophia needed was for them to be fighting.

"Were they ever simple, though?" Ford asked, giving his roguish smile, hoping to draw Sophia out.

Sophia narrowed her golden eyes at Ford. "Well, no, but they were certainly less complicated than they are now." She took a cursory glance of the Library to ensure that no one was listening before turning her attention back to Ford.

Ford was beginning to get a sneaking suspicion that Sophia was agitated. "What makes it more complicated now?"

Sophia looked at Ford with an incredulous expression. "You...you know what makes it more complicated," she whispered, leaning in closer to him. "And you know very well I cannot talk about it here." She sat back up straight, looking a bit agitated. Why would Ford ask here these things here, and now?

Ford sat back, she hadn't mentioned anything new going wrong recently, which means something was happening, and apparently Sophia didn't wish to talk about it here. He sighed, "Well, do you wish to discuss something else?"

Sophia frowned and looked at Ford. With a small sigh she removed the letter from beneath her book and slid it over to him. She immediately put her head back into her book, allowing him to read the letter.

Ford read the letter, his face keeping it's dead facade. "How was it...tampered with?"

Sophia looked up at Ford and held her hand out to get the letter back from him. "I do not know and cannot discuss it here. If you wish to discuss this further we need to find a more private place to speak."

Ford gazed at Sophia, pondering what the letter had said. Why does she have all this drama with her? He sighed to himself, Ten galleons it has to do with whatever her father does for a living...

"Do you want to talk now or later?" He asked boredly, handing the letter back to Sophia.

Sophia took the letter, refolded it, and stuck it in her messenger bag. "Either is fine with me, which do you prefer?" She really did not wish to discuss this with Ford, because she knew a lot of questions were going to come of it, but she could not think of a way to get out of it.

"We can meet later tonight, I've got some stuff to take care of first," Ford said.

Sophia sighed and softened her expression. "All right," she said in a a tone that carried a hint of understanding. "Where do you want to meet?"

"We can meet in the common room then proceed to somewhere in the dungeons, no one goes down there," Ford said, "About an hour after dinner?" His tone was businesslike and short, in reality he didn't have much to do at all. He just needed to think and clear his thoughts. It always seemed as though Sophia wasn't telling him something, and in order to get her to tell him, he needed to jump through every hoop imaginable.

Sophia seemed somewhat saddened by Ford's tone. "All right, I will see you then." Frowning she turned her gaze down upon her book, trying to read.

Ford nodded, stood up and left. He figured to go to the lakefront, it should be quiet enough such that he could think.

Sophia frowned as she watched Ford leave. What am I doing wrong? Turning back to her book she tried to hold back tears, unsure of what to think or do at this point.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back