Letters Come and Letters Go

Ellie Sparks

Wand
Maple 12 3/4 Inches with Essence of Silver Thistle
Ellie climbed the steepsteps up to the owlery, her usual grin was not on her face, there wasn't even a ghost of it.
She was having a down day, and really couldn't be bothered with anything or anyone.
Her dad had bumped into this women in New Zealand, and they had suddenly started seeing each other. Ellie had burst into tears when he told her, and he had told her it was just a little bit of fun and nothing would come of it, he had also said he was still grieving over her mum. Then why the hell had he found someone else not even a year after she had gone?
Ellie was confused, sad and angry at the same time. She didn't understand why her dad wanted or needed someone else, she could never imagine him with anyone but her mum. And being introduced to Lily was the worst thing that had ever happened to her. She hated the women!
A tear began to roll down Ellie's cheek, she didn't know what else to do but cry, as the tears started to pour out her eyes.
She didn't know why she had come to the Owlery, she hadn't been intending to write a letter, she just wanted some fresh air. But outside was pouring, and in the owlery, the small window would allow wind to flow through the small room, but not the rain.
Ellie wiped her tears away and pulled some parchment and a quill out her small shoulder bag. Leaning against the window ledge, she began to write.

Dear Dad,

I'm sorry for my reaction to Lily, I will not deny that i don't like her, because i really don't, and i just can't see you with anyone but mum!
To be honest I've been really upset. You seem to have gotten over mum alot quicker than the rest of us, wether your just trying to be strong for us or you really are over her. I don't understand why you need someone else, epecially Lily, she's just not your type. You say your still grieving, in that case both our definitions of the word are very different! I'm really confused right now, I don't know what to do, home doesn't feel like home any more. The new house never really has, but Lily being there mostly every day makes it even worse.
I'm sorry if that sounds babyish and if im being selfish, im just angry and cofnused!

Love, Ellie x

Finishing her letter, Ellie didn't even look it over before calling Tiggles over to her. She smiled at her owl and cuddled up to him, giving him a few treats, before tying the letter to his outstreched foot. Tiggles had took off out the window before Ellie remembered a letter she had to send.
Calling a school owl over she pulled the letter out her pocket and smiled at who it was adressed to. Her granny and Granda. They had kept her sane over the holidays, while her dad seemed to be loved up they had kept her busy and happy by taking her camping and having bon fires and barbeques.
She had completely forgotten that she had written that letter!

Dear Granny and Granda,

How have you's been? How has everyone been?
I miss you's soo much it's unbelievable! Has Lily still been round every day?
I really don't know what dad sees in her, she's awful, i really don't like her!

Anyway, write back quickly,
Loads of Love, Ellie xx

Attaching the letter to the owls foot, she watched him fly off into the distance, before turning around and heading back down the stairs, away for a wlk around the castle.

Ellie ran up to the owlery, biting her lip the whole way, she had two letters in her hand, both un-opened, she wanted somewhere quiet to read them. She wasn't sure what to expect, she knew the one from her grandparents would be fine, it was her dad's she was worried about, she wasn't too nice in her last letter, and didn't know how he would take it. She had always been so close to him, and didn't want 'Lily' ruining that!
In all her life Ellie had believed in the term 'Save the best till last', and the best would be her Dad's, it would hold so much information she needed to know, but she couldn't face having to wait even another minute to read that letter. Slipping a finger under the tucked in slip of the envelope, she pulled it up and slipped the letter out. It was neatly folded with the word 'Ellie' on the front, in her dad's handwriting. "Here goes" Ellie mumbeled to herself, unfloding the letter and leting her eyes scan it slowly.

Dear Ellie,

Hey Sweetheart! I understand what your thinking, but Lily's really nice, you just have to get to know her. When you come home for Christmas you two can have a girly day out together. Ofcourse I really miss your mum, but it's been nearly a year and i need to move on, we all do! Moving was part of it, we can't live in the past forever. I'm sorry your upset, just remember I love you and you and Simon will always come first! Lily hasn't been arond the house as much lately, but i promise you you'll love her!

All my Love, Dad, Lily says Hi xxx

Ellie couldn't help it but she began to cry as she re-read the letter again and again. He didn't understand, Ellie didn't want to move on, she wasn't ready yet, and she didn't want him to be either. And Christmas? they wouldn't still be together at Christmas! What did that mean?
If he really cared for her more than Lily, he would have slung her after reading Ellie's letter, but he hand't, and he seemed to think they'd be together for another 3 months!!!
Ellie went over the letter again and she knew in her head what it meant.
Sliding herself onto a small table, Ellie cryed into her hands before wiping her eyes and opening her Granny and Grandas letter, hoping it would cheer her up!

Hello Ellie darling!

We miss you soo much too sweetie! We've all been brilliant, well more or less, but I'll tell you about that later.
Ehmm.. about Lily, didn't your dad tell you? She's moved in!
I know what you'll be thinking but it had nothing to do with us, we hate her just as much as you do, she's totally wrong for your dad, but he wouldn't hear of that!
I don't know if i should tell you this, but i feel you should know, there planning on getting married!
I'm sorry darling, me and your Granda have said were having nothing to do with it and are currently looking for a new house.
We, ehm, found out Lily's a veela. That's how your dad's so head over heels with her. Me and your Granda ticked her off by telling her we don't think there right for each other and that the move was bit sudden and they should hold of. She gave your Granda a right fright, turning into a bird like creature and throwing fire about the place. Simon and Timmy ran a mile, your dad was in the toilet at the time and didn't believe us after it, but she has him spellbound.
I really can't believe your dad didn't tell you, write back sweetie, we love you loads,
Granny and Gramp's xxxx

Ellie felt her world crumble around her as she read that letter, and tears started to pour so fast she began to choke and scream. How could he? How could her dad do that to her? He had lied full out to her in his letter. She had always knew she would get the truth from her Granny and Granda, but she didn't think it be so drastic. She knew people would think her a baby for making such a fuss, but what was she meant to do. Married? Her dad was planning to marry Lily, who she'd told him she hated. He knew how she felt and he obviosly didn't care, Lily had him wrapped around her little finger!
It all suddenly became to much for Ellie and she began to slam her fists against the small table, which gave away and sent her flying to the floor.
Ellie flung her hand down to slow her fall, but it went right down hard into a jaggy piece of broken table!
Ellie screamed in pain and began to roll about the floor, cradeling her hand and sobbing hard!

((OPEN NOW IF ANYONE WANTS TO JOIN :) ))

Harri walked up to the owlery, she had no letters to write but she needed to be alone for a bit. Her face was unusually solem, she was usually grinning or laughing or at the very least of smiling but not now. She didn't want to slip back into the routine of lying to people but she knew she would. She hadn't even told Ellie her best friend yet. And untill she could pluck up the courage no one else would find out. She heard someone screaming and she forgot her own troubles and sprinted up the last few steps "ELLIE!" Harri screamed seeing her best friend on the floor she knelt down on the floor next to her and before she knew it she was crying, she knew it was selfish but she couldn't bare to loose anyone else, "Whats the matter?" she sobbed.

Ellie's eyes were fogged up with tears and she only noticed someone else was in the room when she heard Harri's voice. Sitting up a little she showed Harri her hand, like a little kid wanting there mummy to kiss there wound better, only Ellie didn't have a mum! Blood was gushing out of her palm and the piece of jaggy wood was still stuck in it. She tried to talk but the tears kept pouring fast and she couldn't. She was being silly, she knew she was, getting into such a state over it all, but she couldn't help it! And now she was getting Harri, her best friend, into a state, why was she such an idiot!

Harri gasped as Ellie showed her her palms "Oh my gosh Ellie what have you done?" She squeled, she ripped off the bottom of her shirt and split it in two wrapping it firmly around Ellies palms, her tears were still pouring but she couldn't stop them, she tried to wiped them away but they didn't go.

Ellie cried more and more as Harri ripped the bottom of her shirt off and wrapped it around her hands. "I--I-I, Letter--Table--gave away----broke--stuck in my hands" Was all Ellie managed to say through her tears before she screamed, pains were running up her arms like crazy and she could feel the pieces of wood moving in her hands and making even bigger holes!

"Oh my god!" Harri shreiked pulling off the pieces of shirt she had just tied around and saw big pieces of wood "I think I should try and get the big pieces out!" she said tears still dripping.

"NO" Ellie screamed, she could just imagine how much she would scream if the pieces of wood were pulled out her hands. More blood would pour out leaving a big gaping hole! "NO" Ellie screamed again, feeling terrible that Harri had to witness her in such a state.

"okay okay!" Harri said "Sorry that was a stupid thing to suggest," she said trying to sound calm but the tears were pouring faster and faster. "Right, your going to have to go the hospital wing." she said sobbing. "Someone has to get it out of there, or it'll get infected!" she sobbed.

Ellie cried harder, "Wasn't" She assured Harri with a gulp before shaking her head furiosly. Not the Hospital wing! She didn't trust nurser or doctors to take care of her, they had let her mum die! It was their fault her dad was with Lily now, if it wasn't for them her mum would still be there.

"Ellie," Harri said helplessly "We have to, else what's going to happen to your hands?" she asked she didn't even want to think of the consiquences.
She knew why Ellie was refusing to go. How could she not? For she had the same fear burried within her. But her fear wasn't for herself it was for her friends. They let Emma die, the doctors and nurses who were meant to save had allowed Harri's friend from birth to die. To die at the age of 11. What could be worse then that? Emmas life finished before it had started. And Ellie was the same, the doctors had let Ellies mum slip through their fingers, she was gone. And nothing anyone did could bring her back. Ellie would never again see her mum and Harri would never see Emma again. And now Harri's mum and dad were split. There was too much going on in her head. She hugged Ellie tightly careful to not touch Ellies hands. She felt like she could never let go. She couldn't loose someone else she loved.

Ellie continued to cry and Harri hugged her, she wanted to hug her back but couldn't! So she smiled, and tried to wipe her eyes a little with her shoulder. "Alrite, I-i--I'll go" She said. She knew why Harri wanted her to go, and she would anything for her best friend!

Harri smiled through the waterfall of tears "Good, lets go," she said, her voice husky and uneven.

Ellie tried another smile through sobs and stood up, stumbeling a little.

(( Do you want to start?:) ))

((already done!))

Harri guided Ellie down the many steps to the hospital wing, she was anxious the whole way. Would the nurses do a good job with her best friend? They hadn't with her old bestfriend and her teeth clamped down on her lips so hard it began to bleed.

((replied :D))

Ellie felt like a baby as she continued to cry as Harri guided her out of the Owlery and along to the hospital wing. She didnt think shed ever been so scared in her life and she was starting to shake!

Harri squeezed Ellies shoulders "Its okay!" she said quietly "I'm going to stay with you! Heck they won't be able to get rid of me!" she said laughing weakly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back