Letter

Blake Zepline

Wand
Bloodwood Wand 15 1/4" Essence of Phoenix Ash
Blake strolled along the lakeside, kicking random pebbles about. He had recieved a letter from his mother, which he had not yet read. He didn't want to know what she had to say, she was never there for him before so why should she start now? Wishing his father were still alive, Blake crumpled the unopened letter in his fist.
It was her fault he was dead! She could have loved him more. She could have been around more for the both of them like a normal loving mother and wife would. But that was just it; she wasnt. Her dumb job at the Ministry was all she ever cared about, no matter how hard she pretended otherwise. Grudgingly, Blake unclenched his palm and slowly unfolded the crumpled letter.
Blake,

I apologise for not having written to you while you have been away at school. I’ve been busy. I thought I would write to you and see how you were coping with school work. I don’t even know what house you are in, or whether you’ve made any friends, or whether you’ve put your Quidditch skills into progress by joining a team.
I regret that we have never been as close as I would have hoped. I know your father was always the one to be there for you, and in ways which I could never compare, but I hope that can change. You are, after all my son.
Also, I have made some changes. I’ve decided to drop your father’s last name as I see it no longer fit for me to wear around, now that he has passed on.
Now, before I end this letter, I want you to write me all the details of your stay at Hogwarts and especially what is going on with your life. Talk to me, I’m here for you.

Love always,
Mum

He scanned the letter quickly, scoffing at the words "I've been busy". She was always 'busy', spending extra hours at work so she could avoid her son and husband, not giving a damn about either of them.
"Like hell I'll write to you!" he spat, not realising he had spoken aloud.
Stuffing the letter carelessly into his pocket, he narrowed his eyes recalling the dreadful words she had written.
"I’ve decided to drop your father’s last name as I see it no longer fit for me to wear around, now that he has passed on."
It was so like her to have no consideration for her deceased husband, choosing to finally drop his last name after he died so she wouldn't have to be reminded of him.
The past two years since the death of his father, Blake's mother had paid him no attention, providing him with whatever he wanted as long as he stayed out of her way. It was like an agreement they had silently reached as time wore on. They were only to speak of 'important' things so as not to waste any of her time. Blake was never to mention his father to her, no exceptions. And otherwise, everything was downright forbidden.
Blake hated her with a passion, and he was more than certain it was her fault he was fatherless. Feeling the tears swarm in his eyes, he held them in, his temper rising on ends.

Pez was wondering around teh lake and spotted Blake. He had a deathly look on his face.
"Hey? Whats wrong?? You look like you just lost your best friend."Pez said concerned.

Blake had not noticed Pez was around until she spoke. Avoiding her gaze, he blinked back his tears as his mind wandered back to the crumpled letter in his pocket.
"Nothing, just thinking is all..." Blake answered.

Blake thought about what Pez had said, wavering between the decision to open up to her or not. Another moment passed and Blake remained in silence, still avoiding Pez's gaze. How was he to talk to her about what he was going through? No one knew about his father, and he planned to keep it that way. The only other person who Blake suspected has some idea about the matter was Lilian, and he hadn't even told her.
Blake looked up from the ground, peering over the lake as the sun's reflection shone over it. He kicked another pebble, before he spoke again, his voice unusually high pitched from the normal deep.
"My mother wrote to me... and I'm not sure whether I should write back or not. I mean... I don't usually talk with her at home and all. It was usually always me and my dad," he managed through forced gulps of breath. It seemed he could not keep his father from this conversation, and Blake knew the full blown subject would pop up soon, so he decided to cut the chase. "My dad died about two years ago..."
As the words seeped from his mouth, Blake felt his heart double over and his stomach squirm uncomfortably. He had not spoken of the passing of his father to anyone, not even his own mother.

"Oh my gawd!"Pez said and ran up to him and hugged him for comfort.
"Are you okay?"Pez said without thinking.
"Of course your not okay!I'm so sorry! I just...don't know what to say. I wouldn't know how you feel my parents are still alive. Or as I know. I never met my dad so I never had to lose him. I'm sorry I shouldn't be talking about me at a time liek this. Is there anythign at all I can do??"Pez asked.

"No.. It's okay," Blake replied stiffly. He didn't want Pez, or anyone, to fel sorry for him. He didn't need sympathy or pitty. He picked up a pebble and snt it plummeting into the lake.

"I know.. and thanks," Blake said, sighing a little. He had not meant to seem rude to Pez.

"Yeah... sucks huh. At least your mother loves you. Mine ignores me more than half the time," Blake said sheepishly to Pez.

"Oh..." Blake said, feeling bad for Pez. "Sure," he answered.

"Its alright. I have my friends. Thats why I take things so hard. I'm really sorry."Pez said trying not to think about her parents.
"Oh, what I wanted to ask.I want an honest answer, but I don't want to keep dragging it going on. I just want an answer and I may find nerve to comment."Pez said laughing
"Uhm..What do you think happened? I mean if you don't wanna answer, or if you don't know why, I completely understand. But it would be nice to know.And just so you know, what ever you say I'm not gonna cry. I've done enough of that and I'm sick of tears. There's no way to enjoy life when I'm always crying."Pez said smiling brightly.

"What do I think happened?" Blake repeated, not sure he was getting what Pez wanted him to answer. "About what?"

"Uhm..Well, We have been fighting alot latley, and used to we were really good friends. But I mean everything. Its always odd moments when we talk, and we disagree so much. Most of the time I end up in tears, but I REFUSE to do that again. I mean come on, we almost got detention for our fighting. Most of wich was my fault, but that was in the past, its done and over with, so I can't go back and change anything."Pez siad hoping he got were she was going.

"Oh, well like you said, it's all in the past. I hope we can just... forget about what happened," Blake said looking at Pez so she would know he meant what he was saying. "I am sorry for what happened."

"I'm sorry too. What happened in the past, was the past, but lets not forget it so we don't make the same mistake again. I should just apoligive when I should, and let go of what I can't change, because life goes on. I usually can handle one day at a time, but it seems latley a bunch of days attack me at once. haha."pez said giggling. She gave him a look of understanding so he would know what she ment.

"Yeah..." Blake said, having no words to express how glad he felt now that he and Pez had reached a mutual agree on being friends.
"Hey... on a more serious subject, can I ask you something that's way off the topic? I've been debating with myself and I can't seem to work out an answer, so I figure an outsider's opinion could do me some good," he asked.

"What would you do, if your mother wrote to you expecting you to write back?" Blake asked Pez.

"Yeah, I get you. I never took my mother as one to write me either. Shows how much people can surprise you," Blake said, his mind drifting. "Anyway," he added, "I should probably go then. Thanks for your help, it was great talking."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back