I wonder what a friend is like...

James Adams

OOC First Name
James
Sexual Orientation
Esmexual.
Wand
Walnut Wand 14 1/2" Essence of Vampire Blood
James sighed to himself as he sat on the shores of the lake, sitting on the bank, not really knowing what to do. Hogwarts New Zealand had helped him a vast amount, in only two weeks but he knew deep down in his heart that he needed some friends to really settle in. James could see a couple off to one side if him, their arms entwined around each other, locked in a passionate embrace. He sighed again as he turned away, his heart too hurt to bear to watch them. He was envious of them, he knew that but the only way to cure it was to get some friends - friends he didn't have...

He had hoped being good at something, like Quidditch, would help him get friends, rather than hinder as it had appeared to. Being good at Quidditch had increased his standing with his teacher, Professor Wolf, but hadn't helped with his classmates. They had all assumed that he was showing off. Even the few good Quidditch players, especially the ones in Gryffindor, had banded together and did their own stuff. He desperately needed a friend and no one appeared willing to be one.

Hope you don't mind, mate. :)

Tommy had been rather bored at Hogwarts New Zealand. He had heard such wonderful things from Victoria, but what was he supposed to do with the Gryffindor was in class? He could not help her with her studies, as they were the year above. Writing to his father and Cameron was out of the question. Cameron had proven himself, but that did not mean that the Slytherin wanted to spend any of his time writing to either man. He was determined to be independent here, but it was increasingly difficult as he found himself in need of more and more help. People were such difficult things to befriend. The anti-social boy had no idea how to communicate with children his own age. He could speak quite freely with adults, and with Victoria, but that was it. Other children were just... ew. They were grubby, unbalanced, and disasters on two legs. He sighed as he pushed open the doors of the castle, his Slytherin robes floating in the breeze that was created by the motion. Since Victoria was ultimately too busy for him, he had to find something to do. Since the dungeon, where he and Victoria had both screamed much like banshees, he had been apprehensive about looking for more ghosts, and longed for the fresh air that came from walking along the banks of the lake. It was supposedly good this time of day, or so his father said. He suspected Austiin of lying, though, as he had never attended this school. Though, as he said and Tommy rather agreed, seen one lake, seen them all.

The part-veela fluttered his eyelashes as the sky threw sunlight into his eyes. The blue eyed boy had not expected the sun to be so bright. But, alas, it was. With his arm protectively shielding his eyes, Tomas Hayes continued to walk towards the lake. His stomach knotted in disgust as he passed some students in a rather passionate embrace that he had no ambitions of witnessing. "Merlin's beard," he muttered quietly, seeking refuge with another, young boy. He doubted this boy would be doing something so gross and outrageously public, they looked about the same age, the blonde vaguely remembered the boy's face from sorting. He kicked off his shoes, and turned onto his knees to face the boy. Politely, he held out his hand, as his family had taught him, and spoke clearly. "Tommy Hayes. Hi." his eyes glided momentarily to the couple, before finding themselves returning to the boy. "If you're waiting for someone, I can go." Because having to talk to two people would be a disaster for the Slytherin. One at a time was more his speed.

OOCOut of Character:
Not at all, i welcome it in fact

James was surprised when the Slytherin came up behind him. He turned around and saw a boy of about his age raising his hand. James took it and introduce himself. "James, pleased to meet you." He cursed his lack of small talk skills as he knew it was the wrong thing to do in an informal encounter but Tommy Hayes appeared not to notice. His mother had always said that all Slytherins were bad and shouldn't be talked to but James was lonely and anything was worthwhile. He knew that if he got ever more glum, he would eventually turn to taking out his anger on someone close by so this boy provided an excellent option for him. "Please stay, I don't have anything else to do, in fact, I have no friends." James laughed bitterly at thy Slytherin and turned away, wondering whether this might turn out to be for the better. He reasoned with himself that it could also turn out badly so he decided to guard his tongue for the time being until he had figured out the boy sitting with him.

Tommy shook his hand briefly and allowed it to drop. James was a nice name, he had not met many with the name - but he knew it was rather common. However, the Slytherin had very little time to think upon the name, as the boy quickly blurted out what Tommy would have considered rather private. Why would one openly admit to having no friends? Was it something people did often? He had no idea why, it did not seem to do anything in terms of self-preservation. Would it not bring bullying? That was what the blonde though. However, his opinions on proper greets was not exactly flawless, and there was no point in lingering on it. The boy wanted him to stay, and he had no thoughts of leaving. His decision was rather predictable. "Then I will," he was not sure whether he would be classified as a friend, as such titled had to be earned. But, he was not opposed to the boy, James, yet. He did not seem particularly rude or arrogant, two things Tommy disliked most. So he shrugged, and rested his hands on his lap. "Was there a reason you came out here?" he asked, attempted to either find some comfortable, common ground or at least some sort of small talk subject to occupy their time. "It's a lonely lake, for some. Not generally a place to go alone." Then again, the Slytherin himself was here. What did that say.

James turned his head to look at the boy sitting beside him, he seemed so weathered or...James couldn't quite place it but it was almost like Tommy had something he had hidden from everyone else but never talked about. "I only came out here because it reminds me of my sister...she..."James trailed off, pained by his painful memories of his sister, Bianca, playing by the water's edge of a lake not too dissimilar to this one. He remembered them laughing with their friends, playing around on the banks of the lake. Afterwards they had climbed the cliffs near to the lake and sat gazing around in awe at the beauty of it...Bianca had fallen, the rock of the cliff she had been sitting on had come away. He had run to the edge to see her falling through the air, a look of surprise on her face. He had cried then, run back to his family. The funeral was a solemn affair. Now, as James started to remember the memories he had tried so hard to bury, he felt hot tears coursing down his cheeks. He felt ashamed by them and turned out to the lake once again to try and make sure Tommy didn't seen them. Bianca dying had been a blow that had smote James down, he had become a recluse that had become part of him. "Same question to you I guess. Haven't you got friends you could be spending time with, rather than wandering this lake, all alone?"

The French was not exactly heartless, however, when James appeared to cry after saying very few words, Tommy simply stared in surprise. What was he supposed to do? Comfort a virtual stranger? He only knew the boys name, that he was in Gryffindor, a vague age, and that he had a sister. Hardly enough to effectively comfort someone. All the Slytherin could do was wonder what he would want in such a situation, and concluded that he would prefer silence and solitude as apposed to some random child coming up to him and playing mother-hen in order to give themselves a purpose. As James quickly turned to the lake, Tomas had to make sure that he had actually seen tears. He trusted his eyes - they had yet to fail him. He filed his questions away for another time, and began to prepare for his departure, giving the solitude the boy would possibly want.

He paused, however, when he had the very same question thrown back at him. "No." He answered simply. The boy was obviously not much of a threat in terms of bullying, and if a huge problem came up, he could simply call upon Abbigale, or perhaps Speed. "The lake is nicer than most people. Rather quiet, you see. I came here for fresh air," he continued. "The only person I would consider a friend is a second year Gryffindor. As you can probably already notice, there are problems. Like now, she has class, and I have a free period."
<i></i>

James was barely listening to what Tommy was saying as he was too caught up in his misery that he didn't know what to say or do. James decided that his best course of action was to ask Tommy to leave so he could have some moments to himself before he had to go to his next class so he prepared to speak. What came out of his mouth though was definitely not what he intended. "Have you ever lost the most dear thing to you?" James didn't expect an answer so he went on. "Have you ever watched that most dear thing come to an end? To die? Have you ever lived with guilt knowing that perhaps you could have stopped it if you had just reacted a few seconds later?" James was ranting now, he knew it and he knew that Tommy knew it but deep down in his heart, he knew he had to speak to someone about what had happened. He knew that if he kept it hidden for much longer, he would never be able to tell it to anyone and then he would truly be someone who cared about nothing, somebody whom people pity for a short while before forgetting they were even there. James knew he had to talk about it...but he couldn't bring himself to do it. He couldn't bring himself to speak to anyone, because he had no friends that would be able to help and support him.

As Tomas finished, he tilted his head to the side. It was James's turn to speak. And he did, but on a completely different subject. Tommy was rather confused now, as this had nothing to do with what they were just talking about. The blonde would never have thought of speaking about something personal when they were just having a casual conversation. He knew that he was not exactly the most versed in communication with children his own age, but even his father never told him about things like this. Conversations moved along with time, but he had yet to witness such a quick, dramatic change. It was like James just dropped some emotional bomb on him and the Slytherin had no idea what he was supposed to do about it. Did the Gryffindor want help or something? A shoulder? An ear? Or something deeper? "Well-" James cut him off as he continued. The incredibly private question soon turned into a full-blown rant. Now Tomas was really confused. Was he supposed to answer? Let the boy stew?

This really was for someone older and more experienced, Tommy felt. He had very few choices. He could leave, and risk being punished by Abbigale if she found out, and then punished by his father. Or, he could just be a little more open with the boy. If it backfired, he was sure he could convince his father to either pull him out of the school, or scare the boy into silence. "No - I have very little guilt on my shoulders. I was adopted and live with a decent family." It was most certainly not the most normal, appropriate, or good family, but it was his family and even though if half of them died he would not overly mind, they were his highly dysfunctional, incredibly complicated, difficult family. "However, I've seen family members live with guilt. From watching them, you get over it. You move on. You become stronger and live to make another mistake, which you again learn from." He shifted around uncomfortably, and was now seriously considering just leaving. It would be easier than thinking or talking about his family. "I've always thought we exist to make mistakes. It allows ambition to grow because we want to do better." He nodded. The speech would certainly comfort him. He was not sure if it would have the same effect on this boy, but he tried. As long as he tried, his father and aunt could not go off at him.
<i>
</i>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back