Hollie

Hollie Ridley

Wand
'Holly Wand 11" Essence of Phoenix Feather'
Hollie ran up the stairs to the owlery two at a time; she was in a hurry. It was her brother's birthday that day, and if she didn't send it quickly then Snowie wouldn't get her birthday card and letter to him on time.

Finally she arrived there. Panting, she sought out her owl and attached the letter to his foot.
"Sorry, Snowie, but you've got another long journey," she whispered to her owl, apologetically. "It's a shame they live so far away - it makes your job harder." She stroked his feathers before sending him on his way.

The letter said:
Happy Birthday Sam! said:
Dear Sam,

Happy birthday! I'm so sorry if this is late - this morning was a bit of a rush.
I feel really bad not being there for you on your birthday. While I was home for Christmas I hid your birthday present somewhere, and left the clues in the draw where dad keeps his cheque books. I hope you find it, and more importantly, like it!
I can't get over the fact that today you're 17 - it's unbelievable! In the wizarding world, you'd be of age today! But I'm afraid it's another year until your society claim it!
One thing that will be a bonus is you can now take your driving test! Good luck with that... when are you planning to take it? Has dad taken you out for a lot of practise yet? Let me know!
Please write back really soon, but be sure to give Snowie a night's rest (at minimum) and a lot of food before the journey back.
I hope everyone's ok and you all have a fab day. Let me know how school's going!

Lots of love, and God bless,

Hollie xxxxxx :D

The card was a really nice one Hollie had handmade. It was simple, yet effective. And the fact that she'd put the effort into it made it unique and special.

294229641_350x350_Front.jpg

Hollie waited there in the owlery until the white speck against the clear blue sky was no longer to be seen.

Sam smiled as he woke up that morning.
"I'm seventeen," he said, aloud. The importance of this change didn't really hit him.

Walking out of his room in his rumpled pyjama's, Sam bumped into Madi, his youngest sister. He was treated with a huge birthday kiss - eww - and then practically dragged down the stairs to where a big pile of pressies awaited him. And there, sitting on the pile, was a large, white, snowy owl.
Sam laughed. The rest of his family were sitting there, singing to him, but Sam could only think of how Hollie really knew how to send her birthday wishes in style. He conducted his siblings in their singing, and kissed his mother, who, for once, was home.
"I'm going to read Hollie's mail first, ok?"

He made his way over to the owl and tried (quite unsuccessfully), to detach the letter from her foot. She screeched, and bit his finger.
"Ouch!" Sam hissed, his eyes watering. He looked at his dad, who chuckled, and helped him detach the letter.
"You're better practised than me," Sam threw at his dad, smiling. It was true. Richard opened all of Hollie's letters before anyone else had the chance! But this one was for Sam, who was still trying to adjust to the bizarre way of mail.

He tore open the envelope, and read the letter, his smile stretching from ear to ear. He passed the letter to his mother, who for once was taking an interest in his sister's news.
Sam went into the kitchen and opened the draw. There was a letter, with 'SAMUEL' written on the front. Grinning, he pocketed it, and placed Hollie's card on the mantelpiece.

Later that day, Sam took time to write back to his sister. Sitting at his desk, he began, his writing neat and precise.
Letter to Hollie said:
My dear sister, Hollie,

Thank you so much for your letter, you don't know how much it meant to me! It was the first thing I opened, although make sure to reprimand your owl; she bit me.
I'm still trying to get used to your bizarre way of mailing, but I guess I'll adjust!

17 - I can barely comprehend it myself!
I've found the envelope containing the clues and am about to go on the important quest of finding my present. Even mum can't wait to see what it is!
Driving test... hmm, yes, dad has taken me on a few practises, and I think I'm ready. I'll let you know when the big day is!
I have given your owl food, although I reckon he doesn't deserve it :p . But I'll do it anyway. Lol.
College is fine, and so are the others. Don't worry about us, we're great. It's you we should be thinking of, all the way out there, in New Zealand.
Day's been fab, thanks for your blessing and wishes.
I will write again soon, I love hearing from you.

Love you lots as well,
and God bless you too,

Your big bro Sam xxxxx

PS your card was beautiful, it's taken prize place on the mantelpiece!

He finished the letter and signed it.
Then, the next day, he sealed it up and sent Snowie on her way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back