HNZ: The 8th Floor

Henric Lee

Wand
Black Walnut/ Maple Wand 12 3/4" Essence of Silver Thistle
To HNZ.

==============================================================================================

HOGWARTS NEW ZEALAND: THE 8TH FLOOR
<i>
</i>

hogwartscrest.gif

==============================================================================================

*If you are against your character being used, please PM me and inform me, and your character will be immediately removed. I sincerely apologise if I have mistakenly used a character that you do not wish for to be utilised and portrayed in this story. Regrettably, there simply isn't enough time to send PMs for all the individual characters' owners! If you notice certain alterations, that is because some characters had their age or history slightly edited to fit into the story - rest assured vital things like House, Love Life, etc, will not be touched unless permit is given.

CHARACTERS IN USE:

- Professor Cecily Rambolt (Headmistress, Head of Hogwarts)
- Professor Nicolas King (Deputy Headmaster, Gryffindor Head of House)
- Professor Johnathan Spenser (History Master, Ravenclaw Head of House)
- Professor Arithmos Manteia (Arithmacy Master, Slytherin Head of House)
- Professor Aurora Merrythought (Astronomy Mistress, Hufflepuff Head of House)
- Professor Kiliandi Nadapa (Divination Master) *Fictional
- Professor Lola Rowann (DADA Mistress)
- Professor Vincent Channing (Muggle Studies Master) *Fictional
- Professor Jacqueline Black (Transfiguration Mistress)
- Professor Gabriel Lloyd (Charms Master)
- Professor Keith Mercer (Potions Master)
- Professor Masaharu Kaname (Creatures Master) *Fictional
- Professor Rosaline Jenane (Flying Mistress)
- Martine Laurent (Librarian)
- Arcturus Grim (Caretaker) *Fictional
- William Barren (Groundskeeper)

- Nathan Hawke (Gryffindor 7th Year) *Fictional
- Katalina Vanderhol (Gryffindor 6th Year)
- Andrew Reeves (Gryffindor 6th Year) *Fictional
- Heather Ellis (Gryffindor 6th Year) *Fictional
- Kira Yagami (Gryffindor 5th Year) *Fictional
- Gerard Oak (Gryffindor 4th Year) *Fictional
- Wendy Chaos (Gryffindor 3rd year)
- Aeon Summers (Gryffindor 3rd Year)
- Tetsushiro Teshigawara (Gryffindor 3rd Year) *Fictional
- Taylor Mercer (Gryffindor 3rd Year)
- Vladimir Dragonski (Gryffindor 2nd Year)
- Tyler Stevens (Gryffindor 2nd Year) *Fictional
- Mitchell Barker (Gryffindor 1st Year) *Fictional
- Tom Fisher (Gryffindor 1st Year) *Fictional
- Mohammed ibn' Fara (Gryffindor 1st Year) *Fictional
- Siobhan McGowan (Gryffindor 1st Year)

- Dorian Krieg (Slytherin 7th Year) *Fictional
- Isabella Chaos (Slytherin 4th Year)
- Henric Lee (Slytherin 3rd Year)
- Hoshi Koshiba (Slytherin 3rd Year)
- Beau Hurley (Slytherin 3rd Year)
- Larissa Sedgwick (Slytherin 3rd Year)
- Mikael Stracci (Slytherin 2nd Year) *Fictional
- Kazuki Ren (Slytherin 1st Year) *Fictional
- Joseph Hale (Slytherin 1st Year) *Fictional
- Anthonio D'Ciccio (Slytherin 1st Year) *Fictional
- Lily Fossil (Slytherin 1st Year)

- Noah Blakewood (Hufflepuff 5th Year)
- Lemina Troque (Hufflepuff 5th Year)
- Patricia Rogers (Hufflepuff 4th Year)
- Arianna Tipley (Hufflepuff 3rd Year)
- Sam Prince (Hufflepuff 3rd Year)
- Arisa Havishmen (Hufflepuff 3rd Year)
- Shen Lei (Hufflepuff 1st Year) *Fictional
- Benjamin Clearwater (Hufflepuff 1st Year) *Fictional
- Sephora Finette (Hufflepuff 1st Year)
- Priscilla Beau (Hufflepuff 1st Year)
- Jessame Rose Trewelly (Hufflepuff 1st Year)

- Lily Potter (Ravenclaw 7th Year)
- Peter Davies (Ravenclaw 5th Year) *Fictional
- Zazuka Bones (Ravenclaw 5th Year)
- Dennis Killingfield (Ravenclaw 3rd Year) *Fictional
- Thomas Smith (Ravenclaw 3rd Year)
- Autumn Gwin (Ravenclaw 3rd Year)
- Scorpius Knight (Ravenclaw 3rd Year)
- Artemis Blackmoore-Yearling (Ravenclaw 3rd Year)
- John Harris (Ravenclaw 2nd Year) *Fictional
- Saki Sakurada (Ravenclaw 2nd Year) *Fictional
- Daniel Fletcher (Ravenclaw 1st Year) *Fictional
- Hiro Asakura (Ravenclaw 1st Year) *Fictional

- Nasera (Gringotts Goblin)
- Kreeper (Poltergeist) *Fictional
- Sir Edmund Wickerwick (Gryffindor Ghost) *Fictional
- Lord Rosteque de Rennes (Slytherin Ghost) *Fictional
- Chief Derek Mok'iran (Ravenclaw Ghost) *Fictional
- The Mad Monk (Hufflepuff Ghost) *Fictional
- Ekky (House Elf)
- Tokes (House Elf) *Fictional
- Hamsey (House Elf) *Fictional
- Wabba (House Elf) *Fictional
- Vico (Centaur)
- Riege (Centaur) *Fictional
- Doren (Centaur) *Fictional
- Iagan (Centaur) *Fictional
- Haksdu (Acromantula) *Fictional
- Agrabor (Acromantula) *Fictional

*All comments and feedback are welcome. Please post them here.

THE ORPHANAGE

The little village of Harriet was perfectly normal, no matter how you looked at it. The cosy little community proudly boasts some of the largest pumpkins in Wellington, and the most unusual thing that had happened in the past decade was a mild explosion in the sewers which had baffled the engineers who had come to investigate. "The pipes," said the annoyed Engineer, "Could not have possibly blown up all by themselves. Someone must have fiddled with it, and you mark my words, its probably those unlucky brats from the orphanage."

Now most of the orphans from the Bloomsfield Orphanage had been brought there after the series of disasters that had seized the country by storm back in the early 90s. Unexplained happenings like hurricanes and earthquakes completely baffled experts as they attempted to figure out what was wrong. The Prime Minister had loudly announced that people should not be alarmed, and should keep calm. Naturally, this made the entire country panic. The situation had ended, suddenly and very abruptly, after a decade of an endless stream of trouble. As a result, the orphans whom had lost their loved ones and parents were scattered to orphanages all over the country, and naturally, the superstitious - and exceedingly normal, thank you very much! - villagers of Harriet were not too keen on adopting the poor wretches.

And so there, in that gloomy little orphanage, many of them stayed until they were of age to hastily flee from their prison. One such boy was James Killard.

Speaking of unlucky brats, none could be more unlucky than young James, who had a gift of making inexplicable and mysterious things happen around him. No matter how many times he was caned and questioned angrily by the fat Matron, the poor boy simply couldn't explain what was going on. "But matron," said the exasperated Nurse for the upteenth time, "How on earth did it happen if it wasn't him?"

At this very moment, James was standing outside of the orphanage, his arms shaking violently as he tried to keep his now sweaty grip on two heavy buckets laden with water upright. This latest punishment had been devised by the fuming Matron, who seemed have been convinced that James had somehow freed the chickens from their coops and given them the ability to swim underwater, clogging up the ponds with wet weathers as the occasional chicken surfaced with a lily pad on it's head.

"Ah, look boys, good ol' Killy's got himself in trouble again!"

James promptly started and sloshed water all down his front. He looked at the spilled water in dismay; Matron had clearly told him not to spill a single drop. Behind him, three boys were roaring in raucous laughter. One of them, a tall, reedy boy called Snip was miming James' surprised expression to general applause. Another, a rather fat, pudgy boy everyone called Fatty was chortling like a pig at Snip's third performance.

"Go away," James snapped as he struggled to keep the buckets steady, for they were spilling water onto his tattered shoes now.

The third boy, the ringleader and the most unpleasant of the gang, Nick, leered at James as he spoke. "What's that?" He spat at James, "Look boys, the murderer's son is actin' tough! Oooh!" Nick picked up a pebble and threw it at James, who, being unable to duck for fear of dropping the buckets, was hit painfully in the arm. This new sport was met with great enthusiasm by Nick's cronies, and James soon found himself being stoned by pebbles, some of which were dropping into the buckets and sending even more water all over the place.

James bit his lip as he winced in pain when a particularly well-aimed pebble hit his chin, making him loosen his grip on the buckets. Unfortunately, the next pebble managed to hit him right in the eye, making him yelp in pain and drop the buckets onto the ground, drenching his shoes and pants. Nick and his gang promptly scattered as an angry Matron stuck her head out of the second floor window, bellowing, "JAMES!! HAVE YOU DROPPED THE BUCKETS ALREADY?! COME UP HERE AT ONCE!"

"But Matron-!" James started to protest at the unfairness of it all, but was cut off by a yell by the other side of the house and Nick moaning, "Oh Matron! James attacked me again! Ooh! It hurts!" Barely able to conceal their sniggering as Matron started to scream, "HAVE YOU BEEN FIGHTING AGAIN? AND WHILE BEING PUNISHED, TOO! RIGHT THEN, THATS IT! GET UP HERE AT ONCE, OR YOUR BOTTOMS WILL BE SO SORE YOU WON'T BE ABLE SIT DOWN AND EAT!"

About to point out that regardless of whatever he did, he would probably be caned so badly that he would indeed be unable to sit down and eat anyway, James decided against it and hurried into the house, trying to ignore Nick miming being spanked with a cane while Fatty and Snip chortled at him. The plump Nurse was staring reproachfully at James as he entered, and James ignored the accusing stares of several of the other orphans who knew that Matron would punish them all for something James hadn't actually done. "Good luck James." One of the girls called out meekly from the corner. Unable to bring himself to say anything, James simply nodded stiffly and ascended the stairs.

The Matron's office decorated with pictures of flamboyant superstars, garish, girly kittens and puppies staring down at him from every corner of the walls, and photos of her favorite charge - Nick, who spent morning till night sucking up to the Matron. As if this blatant favoritism wasn't enough, Matron also made sure that James, whom Nick picked on the most, was severely punished at least once a week for 'disobeying the rules of this fine establishment', in Matron's own words.

"Are you here then?" The grossly obese Matron squawked as she put on the last of her makeup, which made her look like a sinister clown. "You spilled the water didn't you, stupid boy?"

"Yes matron." James replied, subdued.

"And I suppose you picked a fight with Nick? Such a nice boy, its a wonder you can't get along with him."

"But Matron-"

"Ah, no excuses James. Filthy little boy. I needn't have asked, nice boys and naughty boys don't mix, you know."

"But-"

"No, no, James. Just like your father. They say he was a convicted murderer, you know. Like father like son I suppose. He-"

"Don't talk about my father!"

The sudden outburst caught both James and the matron by surprise. Smiling nastily, the Matron rose slowly, and advanced upon James, who suddenly noticed he was now shaking. "What's this?" She snarled, "You're defending your father boy? It would be touching if he wasn't a dirty murderer! Yes, I know all about your father, I did. Remember it as clearly as yesterday when they brought you to me! Your dirty little mother, must've been a downright loose woman-"

James's finger twitched, and he stared at Matron in the eye, seething in anger. "My mother wasn't loose!"

"Of course she was." Matron snapped, "Why would she get with a murderer otherwise? I know her type. No wonder she cheated on your fath-"

"She cheated on my father?" James said suddenly, astonished. Matron had never revealed this particular bit of information before. Apparently, Matron realised this as well, and renewed her verbal assault on his parents with relish. "Yes, yes, she cheated on your father. Nasty woman, and your father was so angry that he murdered her. Your entire family was wretched, I don't wonder why no-one wants you. Personally, I'd have kicked you out of here if I had the right. Boys like you with parents like that shouldn't receive free food and lodging, why I-"

"I'd leave if I could!" James yelled, "I don't need your runny soup or lice-filled bed!"

Now clearly angered, Matron wagged her stubby finger at him warningly. "Now you don't go talking to me like that boy! I'll have you caned again, I will! Ungrateful little brat! No wonder your parents-"

"Stop talking about my parents you miserable old hag!" James retorted.

He knew he had gone too far. The Matron's face swelled up like a balloon, rapidly bypassing red as she turned maroon instead. "Why - Why I never - You little - You're an ingrate, a little- " Matron spluttered, choking on her words in her haste to find words that would describe him. But a little what he was, James never found out, because he suddenly found the courage to rush out of the office and slam the door in Matron's face, causing a large photo of a beaming singer to hit the ground and smash into pieces as he did so.

Turning and running for his life as Matron shrieked in rage ("My best Johnny Donny concert photo!", she cried out in horror), James leaped dwon the stairway, two steps at a time, and ran past a startled Nurse. Pushing Nick aside, who had rushed into the orphanage as soon as he had heard the smashing sound, he headed for the relative safety of the black forest which all the locals avoided.

WILD ENCOUNTERS

Ignoring the Matron's wild cries of rage at her precious fan photo being destroyed ("COME BACK HERE AND PUT IT RIGHT YOU UNGRATEFUL LITTLE-", she raged as she brandished a saucepan) James had marched away from the orphanage determinedly, muttering to himself, "She deserved it." And after a short pause, "She shouldn't have said that about my parents. She deserved it." As he reached the rickety old wooden gate that marked the entrance to the black, forboding woods where only the burly woodcutters dared to enter, he fumbled with the catch on the door as he said angrily, "I've had enough!"

And the next moment, he was out in the dark, quiet woods, wondering what horrible punishments Matron had in store for him, but still quite determined to leave.

After about fifteen minutes of walking about aimlessly, he decided it was time to find somewhere to rest. He wasn't too bothered about getting lost, since he knew nearly every part of the forest. He had come in here since he was young, whenever he had enough of being bullied by Nick and his gang, or when he was simply trying to find form of sanctuary from the living hell of the orphanage.

Most, if not all of the village superstitions about the woods, could be attributed to him. For one thing, there were no ghosts from past wars swearing their vengeance on those who had killed them - that was simply James muttering under his breath as he walked about the woods. For another, there was no such thing as overgrown apes snarling down at unwitting people who wandered into the forest; on that day, James was running into the forest while Nick and his cronies chased after him, and while wishing for a safe place to escape to, suddenly found himself on the topmost branches of a tall tree, much to his own astonishment. He had remained there for about a day until a shocked farmer had found him there and rescued him with the help of two other men and a ladder.

On all these strange events, Matron had taken it upon herself to punish James, and 'squash all the strangeness out of him'. In truth, James himself didn't know what had happened, and so, despite his honest protests of innocence, he was always punished anyway.

James had wandered on for several more minutes before he found a cosy-looking gap in between two large trees, and squeezed himself into it. He sat quite still after that, still seething with anger as he listened to the rapid thumping of his heart. After about twenty minutes of sitting in silence and staring out at the darkness, a new emotion seized him: Fear.

He had never been in the woods this late, and he heard a chilling howl shatter the night's tranquil silence, faint barking from the village of Harriet far away, and the unmistakable sound of twigs snapping in half. He felt it was indeed time to start sprinting back to the orphanage, but the worst thing was that he had made Matron so mad that she was not likely to forgive him, or indeed, give him any dinner. Or even a bed. He was more than likely going to sleep on the cold, hard floor of the kitchens if he did go back, which was no different from his current situation.

But then again, the orphanage was not surrounded by the frightening sounds that James was now trying very hard to ignore. Yet, as he squeezed his eyes shut and attempted to tell himself that the sound of crows flying away, cawing in alarm, had nothing to do whatsoever with something headed his way, he could hear those heavy footsteps coming closer ... closer ...

At last, he could stand it no further. What was going to happen to him? Was he going to be kidnapped? The kidnappers couldn't possibly be more vicious than Matron, could they? And what about the darkness? How was he going to grope his way out of the woods in an absolutely pitch black environment? He could find his way about in the daylight, but how was he supposed to have a sense of direction when he couldn't see a thing?

Just as James was nervously contemplating staying where he was, a sudden, very loud crack and the sound of branches being roughly shifted aside made him sit upright. There was a muttering sound, and James was rooted to the spot in fear. Panic overtook him; what if this new person was some sort of crazed killer? Who wandered about the forest at this time of day anyway? More muttering cut off James's thoughts; and then, silence. Whoever it was, they uttered something completely unintelligible to James, and a sudden sphere of blinding light swathed the area, bathing it in sheer brightness. As James summoned enough courage to look out of the niche he had stuffed himself into, a veritable giant of a man skulked past, and great beetle black eyes stared down at James -

"Aaaaargghhh!!" James yelled, dashing out of his hidey hole and running past this horrible giant, who appeared to have been so surprised by this sudden appearance that he didn't react in time.

Panting, running for his life, James hopped onto a gnarled stump, jumped up and caught hold of an overhanging branch, and scrabbled with the bark to try and climb up the tree. As he did so, he heard the stomping sound of the giant catching up; abandoning all thoughts for his own personal safety, he made wild leaps from branch to branch until he slipped from one of them and fell - He squeezed his eyes shut as he pictured how he would look like, splattered on the ground -

And all of a sudden he was dangling by his ankle, hanging upside down. His first thought was that his leg had caught on some vines - but then he realised he was suspended, with no visible means of support, in thin air.

He blinked, and the next moment he was struggling wildly and screaming, "Help! HELP!!"

The next moment, he fell headfirst onto a large pile of dead leaves, rolled down the hill, and fell headfirst into the orphanage pond. Several of the water-breathing chickens squawked noisily and splashed out of the water indignantly, showering James with wet feathers. The dark orphanage was immediately illuminated as the lights were turned on, and Matron's voice screeched, "WHAT IS THAT RACKET?! I'M TRYING TO GET MY BEAUTY SLEEP HERE-"

As Matron and a dozen other orphans poked their heads out of the window, she exclaimed in triumph, "Oho! OHO! Now what have we here? Don't need my, my bread and bed eh? Come back have you, James Killard? Well! I never! You-"

"Matron!" The alarmed Nurse exclaimed as she rushed out of the door with a woolly blanket and threw it over James's drenched body. "Theres a time and place for this, and it's not here or now!" James finally realised what a sight he was as he stared into the mirror in the living room as he came into the orphanage, slopping mud everywhere. His was drenched from head to toe, with several twigs sticking out of his naturally messy hair. His auburn eyes were obscured by a layer of mud, and several leaves were sticking resiliently to him.

He barely heard the nurse's reassuring words as he was hurried into the grimy bathroom and cleaned up. Even Matron looked surprised as she came down and took in his appearance. All he could recall was the face of the great big giant of a man and he stared into his eyes. The giant appeared to have been saying something, now that James could think again.

As he lay down on his bed, which creaked as the Nurse gave him several blankets, he knew the giant had been saying something. And if he was not mistaken, the giant's mouth had formed the words ... 'James'...

His eyelids felt heavy as he started to go to sleep, and he didn't notice the tawny owl soaring outside the orphanage window.

LETTERS

James awoke the next day to general mayhem. As he opened one eye blearily, he distinctly heard Matron raging downstairs while Nurse tried to soothe her. James couldn't quite make out the words in his half-asleep state; after rubbing his eyes rigorously, he ventured downstairs to take a look. And he paused, momentarily stymied into silence in sheer amazement at what he saw. Nearly a dozen tawny owls were squawking and flapping all over the living room, scattering feathers everywhere they went. Matron had gone already gone past maroon, and was now going purple in the face as she tried to swat down the indignant owls with a broomstick, and was rewarded with owls dive bombing her with droppings.

Nurse, looking haggard and panicky, was attempting to calm the Matron down, but she wasn't having much success. In the midst of this comical sight, what looked like a small mountain of paper was heaped all along the floor, and the orphans who had already woken up were huddled against the walls, not daring the touch the offending papers in question. As James came down the stairs, he realised these things were all letters sealed with a blotchy red seal. Nick, who had managed to sneak over to one of the letters, snatched one out of the pile and read it aloud. "To Mr J. E. Killard; Harriet, Bloomsfield Orphanage, Bed 17." He turned to James, stunned, "Who wants to write to you this badly?"

Unfortunately, Matron had heard what Nick said. With a scream of fury, she seized the unsuspecting and completely unaware James by the scruff of his neck and dragged him off into the attic. "It's not my fault!" James bellowed, but Matron wasn't listening as she hissed under her breath all sorts of things she'd like to do to him. As they reached the attic, she flung him into the squashed room and slammed the door shut, locking it with a nasty look at him. "This must be your idea of a prank! Well, you can stay there while I think up a suitable punishment! Owls, indeed! Never, in all my years..." As the Matron stormed away, James slumped onto the floor of the attic, not quite sure what he had done.

About an hour later, while James lay starving on the attic floor, there was a sickening crack as the wood beside him splintered noisily. Startled, he rolled away from the hole just in time as a whole flood of letters came pouring through the gap, each of them addressed to, "To Mr J. E. Killard; Harriet, Bloomsfield Orphanage, the Attic." With a strangled howl of rage, Matron burst in through the door and stormed towards James, catching him just when he was opening one of the letters. "It's mine!" He protested, as Matron seized him and marched off down the stairs.

It soon became quite clear that whoever was sending these letters was either dead-set on making sure James got at least one of the letters, or playing a very extreme practical joke. Matron sealed the entire orphanage off, locking the attic and shutting all the doors, muttering all the time under her breath as a harried-looking nurse rushed after her. At intervals of an hour, new attempts were made by this unknown sender. A total of thirty-two letters found their way through the windows, which Matron promptly slammed shut and locked while Nurse helped her to burn the pile of letters. Next, about seventy-one of them managed to be slipped through through various doorways, nooks, and crannies, and Matron spent the morning nailing and hammering these shut with planks.

Undeterred, ninety-five of them were smuggled in with the milk delivery, the eggs, and somehow - the fridge. These were all angrily burned to ashes by an increasingly incensed Matron while the Nurse attempted to explain to the very bemused milkman.

Finally, Matron had enough when about a hundred and fifty-five of the letters started to rain down from the ceiling, apparently leaking in through the attic from the sound of the dangerous groaning and creaking. "Enough!" She shrieked, "Everybody out!" Even as the Matron's favorite, Nick, tried to steal a letter, he was booted out viciously as the door was slammed in his face with a final screech of, "OUT!"

Fatty stood with his mouth open while Nick rubbed his bottom, "Oh, shut your mouth Fats." Nick snapped when he caught sight of Fatty. But Fatty appeared to be having a seizure, gesticulating frantically at the air. When Nick turned his head, he, and every other orphan who had looked in that general direction, all had an expression of shock plastered on their face. The sky was rapidly darkening as about a thousand owls hooted noisily, flying overhead, all with at least two letters tied to their legs. "What are you all looking at then?" A fat farmer with a curved, bushy moustache, and nearly no neck, who had visited many times to try and win over Matron, had started walking over. Benny, as was his name, was feared and hated because of his expertise with the cane - Indeed, Matron's choice punisher was Farmer Benny.

However, even Farmer Benny was overcome with shock as he turned his head in the direction where they were all staring. His smoking pipe promptly fell out of his mouth as he watched the huge crowd of owls descend upon the village of Harriet. "Ooh dear." He said worriedly, backing away rapidly towards the orphanage. "Ohhh dear ... Ooh - MARGARET! MARGE!! MARGE THERE'S OWLS-"

"I know, Benny!" Matron screamed, throwing the door open so suddenly that she hit the poor farmer in the face. "What's -" Her words were cut short as hundreds of owls promptly started their descent. There was a pause, and then one little girl screamed. Matron and Nurse, followed closely by Farmer Benny, who was straining to keep up, wheezing as he ran along, ushered the orphans up the hill to Benny's farmhouse. James and several others stayed behind to try and make a grab for the letters, but were promptly seized by Benny, tucked under his arm, and dragged uphill.

As the orphans were herded into the barn, Benny turned and locked the barn door. "We'll be safe here Marge!" He boasted proudly, "Not a livin' soul who can get past ol' Benny and his trusty gun!" As he said this, he took a rusty-looking shotgun off the wall and beamed at Matron Marge, who was glaring down at James.

"I didn't do it." He said stupidly as Matron advanced. Matron halted, and then wrung her hands in the air. "This sort of thing - this sort of thing - I swore I would stomp it out of you! No man or woman from the good village of Harriet will be tarnished by you!"

"What are you talking about?" James said, bewildered.

"I'm talking," said Matron, looking like she was starting to hyperventilate, "I'm talking about those blasted owls! And your - And your wretched Father! Yes! That man wasn't wrong!"

James hurriedly asked, "Man? What man? You never told me I still had relatives!"

"I don't - That's not the problem here! When that strange man showed up, ooh, I knew he wasn't a good 'un! Isn't that right Sally?" Matron demanded, turning on Nurse. "I - Well -" Nurse managed, attempting to get her voice back. Whatever she next said was drowned by Matron's angry exclamations. "Wearing a funny little set of clothes he was! Never saw anything like it! Came up to me and gave you to me, saying your Father could not possibly take care of you, and that your mother was deceased! I knew at once there was something fishy! That's why I always said he murdered your mother-"

"He did not murder my mother!" James said hotly, shaking with rage.

Matron backed away, her eyes livid. "You ingrate! I should never have accepted you! I should have had you drowned! I-"

BANG.

Everyone froze.

BANG.

The barn's rafters shook, sending dust cascading down to the scared oprhans below. "Benny..." Matron said slowly. The Farmer needed no further warning; hefting his shotgun, he aimed at the locked door, which had now sagged sideways, swaying on its hinges-

BLAM!!

With a noise like a cannonshot, the door flew open and hit Matron in the face, causing her to fall over. Benny yelled incoherently, his eyes wide with fear. A tall, huge man had crouched under the doorway and was now raising himself up to his full height. He looked like he his nose had been broken and then put back in place, and his beetle-black eyes scanned the room silently. He long, straw-colored hair in untidy curls, which Matron would have immediately classified as a hooligan's hairstyle. His body was powerfully-built, and he had a broad chest and rugged features. Perhaps most peculair of all, he carried a long rake in one hand. The giant of a man remained silent for a moment, and then he cleared his throat once, and spoke in a gruff voice tinged with a scottish-accent. "James Killard?" The man boomed, his eyes scanning the barn.

Farmer Benny seemed to have regained his voice. Taking aim at the giant, he stuttered, "Now - Now look here! You can't barge into my place and - and try to intimidate me - And - These here - You can't- This is private property!"

Braver men would have quailed under the stare James gave the Farmer. Panicking, Farmer Benny fired a shot from his shotgun out of panic. Several of the orphans screamed; the giant looked calm as he raised his rake and said smoothly, "Protego"; the shotgun shells instantly scattered into nothingness. Farmer Benny stared bleakly at the giant, who strode forward, took hold of the shotgun, bent it into an intricate butterfly knot as if it was nothing more than play-doh, and handed it back to a terrified Farmer Benny.

"Is James Killard 'ere?" The giant asked again, his voice gruff, yet warm.

As James opened his mouth to reply, Matron jumped up and pointed accusingly at the giant. "Aha! You're his father aren't you? Yes, I thought you would be - You have the look of a murderer about you, a murderer!"

The giant ignored Matron, and instead asked once more, "Is James Killard 'ere?" Unable to help himself, James blurted out, "Are you really my father?"

The tension in the room suddenly increased. The giant of a man turned his head to see who had spoken, and his eyes found James standing beside two other orphans, whom promptly inched away from him. The giant lumbered forward, and stared down at James. For one, terrified moment, James thought this great big man was about to eat him. Then the giant's fathomless features broke into a warm smile. "It's yeh' awright." Raising a hand the size of a dustbin lid, he clapped James on the head in an affectionate sort of way. "Yeh' gotcha Da's face. Eyes n' Nose and all."

Lost for words, as the giant fumbled with his overcoat's pockets, James managed to croak, "You knew my father?"

"Yea'." The giant replied gruffly, pulling out the strangest assortment of items James had ever seen - dog biscuits, dried fish, a jar of pickled olives, a salt shaker, several sets of ancient-looking keys, a squashed-looking box, a pink watering-can, a pair of blue flowery hawaiian socks, several bronze coins, and a great fistful of toothpicks.

"Great bloke. Shame he uh, yeh' know." The giant said suddenly as he looked apologetically in James's direction. "I liked yeh' dad - ah, 'ere it is." Out of one of his pockets, he had retrieved one of those letters James had seen back in the orphanage.

"He's not going!" Matron said shrilly, having summoned all her courage to say those few words. "No man or woman from Harriet will go to that wretched place - I've looked in those letters - you need all sorts of rubbishy books and things like cauldrons for that lunatic asylum!" She gave a hysterical laugh at this point, for the giant had just fixed her with an icy stare, causing her to laugh madly, and then abruptly shut up as the giant held up a lethal-looking pair of tweezers.

"Yeh' ken' read it, go on." The giant grunted, as he continued to search in his overcoat pockets. "I musta' left it in 'ere ... somewheres..."

As James held up the letter, wondering if this was all some twisted fairytale, he read the words on the letter silently.
"To Mr J. E. Killard; Harriet, Blue Hill, Thornton Farm Estate, the Barn."​

He looked around the room, and saw that every single person was looking at the giant with expressions that were a mix of awe and fear, save for Matron, who had her lips pursed. Staring down at the letter, James broke the red seal and took out the parchment, reading it eagerly.
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY, NEW ZEALAND BRANCH

Headmistress Cecily Analise Zhefarovich
(4th Seat of the Wizengamot, Order of Merlin - 2nd Class)

Dear Mr. Killard,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find enclosed a list of all necessary books and equipment. Term begins on September 1, we await your owl by no later than July the 31st.

Yours sincerely,

nicholas-signature.jpg

Nicolas King
Deputy Headmaster

James could do nothing but stare bleakly at the letter. Nearly none of it made sense to him, but from what he could grasp, he had been accepted at some sort of school in New Zealand. He glanced up, wanting an answer, and was almost as shocked as Nick himself to find the bully was holding one of the letters as well. James wondered momentarily if the giant was going to give out letters to every one of them, but only he and Nick seemed to have receive letters. Right now, the Giant was busy stuffing all of the contents he had removed back into his overcoat. James caught Nick's eye, and he shrugged weakly. Even Nick, who seemed to always have something to say, was apparently struck speechless. Sliding out the next piece of parchment in the letter, James found himself staring down at a shopping list which made no sense to him whatsoever.
1st years are required to have the following books for the coming school year:

"The Standard Book of Spells Grade 1", by Miranda Goshawk
"A Beginner's Guide to Transfiguration", by Emeric Switch
"A History of Magic", by Bathilda Bagshot
"Magical Theory", by Adalbert Waffling
"One Thousand Magical Herbs and Fungi", by Phydilla Spore
"Magical Drafts and Potions", by Arsenius Jigger
"The Dark Forces: A Guide to Self-Protection", by Quentin Trimble

1st years are also required to have purchased the following essentials:

Wand
Quill
Parchment
Ink
Hat (Black)
Hogwarts School Robes x2 (Black)
Work Robes
Dragon Skin Gloves
Cauldrons x2 (Cp. Bottomed)

Students may also choose to bring along an owl, cat, or a toad.

"Read it an' all? C'mon 'den. Get a move on."

The giant's gruff voice made James start, and as he hastily put away the pieces of parchment back in the envelope, Nick appeared to find his voice and finally asked, "Who are you?"

The giant paused, and then scratched at his stubble. "You ken' call me Willie, I s'pose. Gonna gedda' move on, 'den?"

"Where are we going?" James asked weakly.

Matron suddenly stood up, shaking with rage, "They're not going! I told you, I'm not paying for-"

But apparently Willie had enough of Matron's interuptions. "Langlock." He said gruffly, flicking his rake at the Matron, who promptly grasped at her throat and choked, unable to get a word out as her tongue had glued itself to the roof of her mouth. "Aaah, tha's better. Awright ... Ah, here dey' are."

With several crack sounds, no less than half a dozen men in purple robes had appeared out of thin air outside the barn. Benny gaped and pointed at Willie and the newly-appeared robed men, apparently unable to get a word out of his mouth. "We'll take care of it from here then, William." One of the purple-robed wizards announced importantly, striding into the barn, followed closely by his companions. "Come on then boys... Oh my word!" The lead robed man had stopped abruptly, causing those following behind him to bump into him. "Are you - It couldn't be - But - Nicholas Locke?" The purple-robed wizard was now looking at Nick with an expression close to reverence.

"Aye, he's got his father's eyes..." Another man behind him said, in an awed said of voice.

One of the men behind those in front piped up, "That's Killard! James Killard!"

"Good Lord, I-" The lead man in purple robes promptly shut up as he caught sight of William shaking his head. "I mean - We're in the middle of work, boys, come on, let's get this lot settled-"

Benny apparently regained his courage; he jumped to his feet at the sight of so many men intruding on his barn. "Now look here! Now look here!" He said heatedly. The man in purple robes raised a stick-like object and waved it lazily while saying, "Oblivate."

Instantly, a serene, blank expression overcame Farmer Benny, to slid to the ground, looking dazed as he murmured faintly, "Merry Christmas."

While the men in purple robes converged upon the people gathered in the barn, Willie ushered Nick and James out of the barn and down the hill. For a while, none of them spoke, and both Nick and James were subdued in their own thoughts. James's mind raced with possible theories - was this some kind of prank? A trick? Willie did not seem to notice the complete confusion of his two charges, and he was now pushing them towards an old junkyard. As the giant came to an abrupt halt in front of a battered wheel, Nick stared around blankly. "I knew it!" He exclaimed, though in a shaky sort of voice. "This is some kind of practical joke, isn't it? Well I'm not fooled. I-"

"Nicholas Locke, be quiet." Willie grunted; Nick shut up immediately. James had never heard anyone, not even Matron, using Nick's surname. In fact, he wasn't sure Matron did know Nick's surname. Nick himself looked amazed. "How do you know my father's surname?", he said slowly.

Willie chuckled; it was a low, rumbling sound. "If yeh' were keepin' tha' a secret of yer' own, yeh'll be sad to hear it ain't much o' a secret in the wizardin' world."

"What did you say?" It was James's turn to interupt this time. "The what world?"

"Wizardin'." Willie replied, now impatient as he consulted a small clock he had pulled out of his overcoat and glancing at the wheel from time to time. "Yer' wizards."

James opened his mouth and closed it without making a sound. Nick looked like he was about to contradict Willie before dedicing against it and settling for looking indignant. James's mind was swimming with thoughts and questions: How could he have been a wizard? Why hadn't he managed to turn Matron into a warty toad every time she had picked on him, then? Why hadn't he jinxed Nick whenever he felt angry at him? On that note, why hadn't Nick cursed him when he felt like it? Certainly Nick would have jumped at the chance to cast some sort of spell upon him. His thoughts were interupted, quite suddenly, as the giant clapped them both on the backs and roared, "Awright, grabbit now!" As James doubled over, he was pleased to hear Nick yell in a scared sort of voice, "Grab what?!"

"D'wheel boy, d'wheel!" Willie shouted, and, losing no time, took hold of both of them and planted their faces on the wheel. "Hold on tight!"

Just then, James felt his body get violently drawn towards the wheel, and seized hold of the battered wheel just in time. His entire body appeared to be spinning wildly, round and round. Twice, he saw blurred outlines of Willie and Nick swirling around him as he got dizzier and felt his body being sharply pulled to a place far away from here...

THE OTHER WORLD

After James had finally stopped spinning endlessly, he crashed to a halt on the cold, hard stone floor of a tavern as the battered wheel rolled away from him, spun on the spot, and then lay quite still on the ground. Landing opposite across from him was Nick, clearly as dazed as he was. James struggled to get up, scrabbling at the brick wall in front of him, and heaving himself to his feet. Looking around weakly, he saw Willie was standing, quite calmly, in front of the brick wall as well. Now completely and thoroughly convinced that this was not a bad dream, James managed to ask weakly, "What's Hogwarts?"

"Blimey, I forgot how little yeh' know 'bout our world," said Willie with a bemused sort of expression. "Ders lotsa' stuffs yeh' gotta catch up on, aye?"

Nick attempted to get up, but slipped on the floor and collapsed again, still shaking uncontrollably. James would have laughed if his feet didn't feel like jelly as well. "Hogwarts." Willie said gruffly, "Is me home. And it'll be yeh' home an' yeh' school. Best place in the world, s'matter o' fact." Pulling out his rake, Willie started to tap the bricks on the wall carefully, one on the left, one on the right, top right hand corner, bottom left hand corner, middle -

The entire brick wall scattered, pulling apart as if a pair of great big invisible hands had started to wrench it apart. As the brick wall faded away, Willie gestured to the busy streets within and grunted once. "Welcome, yeh' two, t' Obsidian Harbor."

Colorful stores and long, winding cobbled paths hit James's eyes like a series of overdone fireworks. There were great big stores that were stacked so tall he wondered why it hadn't fallen over. Crooked cottages sitting side by side, puffing out rings of smoke that changed color from pink, to black, to yellow and then to pink again. The strangest-looking people wearing the weirdest clothing James had ever seen were walking about the place in crowds. Displayed on rigorously-polished shop windows were all sorts of items, there were heavy books, broomsticks, owls hooting noisily, foul-smelling chemicals that bubbled sluggishly, and James even thought he saw a little deformed man scuttling past, muttering under it's breath, "Powder of unicorn horn, lionfish, crushed beetles, oh no, I must have lost count, oh dear, oh dear, what would Master say...?"

"House Elf." Willie growled as he caught sight of James and Nick staring. "Funny lil' creatures, gots good heart, mind." Willie squinted in the distance, and then clapped the two of them on the back again. James wished he would stop doing that, he felt like his spine was going to disconnect. "Der' we go boys, we'll drop ye' off at Gringotts firs', and den we'll uh, go getcha stuff." Nick blinked as short creatures with gnarled features stepped aside and opened the huge doors of the gleaming building marked 'Gringotts Wizarding Bank'. Etched on the door was a series of glittering words; James squinted at them as he tried to keep up with Willie.
Enter, stranger,
But take heed,
Of what awaits the sin of greed,
For those who take and do not earn,
Must pay most dearly their turn,
So if you seek beneath our floors,
A treasure that was never yours,
Thief, you have been warned, beware,
Of finding more than treasure there.

Shivering as he read it, James hurried on after Willie. Under his voice, Nick asked hurriedly as he stole a glance at the gnarled, short little creatures, "What are they?"

Willie waved an airy hand the size of a dustbin lid. "Goblins. Smart lil' fellas. Yeh'd be crazy to rob Gringotts." As Willie lumbered over to the end of the hallway, Nick and James hurried after him. It was difficult to keep up with the giant of a man, but he easily parted the way, looking ever more intimidating standing in a building full of creatures not half his height. James spotted a goblin examining rubies the size of his fists, and another was measuring glittering diamonds on a scale. Nick, clearly, was equally awed, and was forgetting whatever enmity he previously had with James.

Finally, the three of them reached a free counter, where the idle goblin was tapping his long fingers on the table. "Yes? How can I help you?" The goblin asked smartly, pushing his monocle up with one of his long fingers. "We're 'ere to see the vaults o' Nicholas Locke and James Killard." The goblin wrinkled his nose as he observed them, "And you have the keys?"

"Got 'em here somewheres..." Willie muttered, reaching into his pockets. Once again, Nick and James stood and watched nervously as Willie pulled out an assortment of items, including turnips, a mouldy newspaper marked 'The Daily Prophet', something that looked like cat litter, and finally, the set of ancient keys James had seen him take out back at the orphanage. "Ah, 'ere we are." Willie exclaimed as he handed them over, beaming at the goblin, who looked at the keys with an appraising eye. After a moment, the goblin nodded curtly and said, "All seems to be in order. I'll have someone take you down to your vaults ... 356 and 359 then? Nasera!"

Immediately, a stout-looking goblin pushed open the doors at the far end of the hall, which seemed to lead down to some kind of dungeon. Nasera waddled over, flexing his fingers a he paused abruptly at the counter, "Which vaults will these gentlemen go to, then?"

"Vaults 356 and 359." The goblin at the counter said, sniffing as Willie put away the turnips.

Nasera nodded, waving at the three of them. "This way, gentlemen." Turning, the goblin hurried down the dungeon with an air that he had been here many times before. Now that he was inside, James found himself in a dungeon illuminated by flickering torches, surrounded by railroad tracks with dozens of little carts waiting by the pavement. Nasera hopped into one of the carts, and beckoned for them to follow him. James and Nick hastily went into the cart with Nasera, while Willie followed with some difficulty due to his bulk ("Ruddy goblin-sized vehicles," Willie muttered). After they finally got on the cart, Nasera rapped on it smartly and announced in a loud voice, "Floor Three, Vaults 350-360."

Like a rocket, the cart lurched off suddenly, throwing Nick and James face-first into Willie, who looked like he was going to be sick. The cart raced around and around in a near-insane fashion, and Willie bellowed over the rushing wind, "How much longer?!" Nasera looked smug as he sat calmly in the cart while it raced around violently. "Not much longer now, gentlemen."

James and Nick both let out screams as the cart slipped off the raidroad tracks and soared into the air, only to land heavily on the other end and continue racing down the tracks. Once, James thought he saw a jet of flame and a great roar shake the dungeons. He was about to ask Willie what it was, but the giant looked so sick James thought it was best he left him where he was. "And here we are." Nasera exclaimed as the cart came to a sudden halt, throwing Willie, James, and Nick out of the vehicle and onto the pavement. "Well then, vault 356 first ... I say, what are you all doing on the floor?"

As the goblin hopped off the cart, Nick groaned and muttered under his breath, "I never want to sit on one of those things ever again." Apparently, goblins had very sharp ears, because Nasera turned to him and said nastily, "There's still the return journey."

Willie waved limply to Nasera as he dragged himself over to lean on a wall. "Yeh' take 'em to go on to their vaults, m' gonna rest 'ere first." Nasera looked miffed, but simply walked on, jangling the set of ancient keys as he said, "Well, if you insist."

They came to a stop in front of a large doorway with the golden letters, '356'. Nasera held up the keys, and then said importantly, "Stand back." Raising the set of keys, he inserted one key into a series of keyholes upon the door. Once he had finished, he took a step back and slid his lengthy fingers down the doorway. Immmediately, the doors melted away and the three of them walked into the vault. James was stunned; there were mounds and mounds of golden coins, great big heaps of silver, and mountainous piles of small bronze ones. "Vault 356. Previous owner, Tyrael Killard." The goblin announced, turning to James with something of a sympathetic smile. "It's yours, now."

"My - My father owned ... all this?" James managed to say, while Nick continued to look stunned.

The goblin looked impatient as he thrust a leather money bag in his face. "Yes, yes he did. Now I advise you get some gold into the bag, or we'd have come here for nothing. Chop chop!"

James had the unpleasant task of heaping the gold coins into his bag while watched by a very jealous Nick and an indifferent Nasera, who made him feel extremely uncomfortable. Once his leather bag had been filled to the brim with gold, as well as some silver and knuts for good measure, for James did not know which was which, the goblin led them out again. They turned around a bend before they came to a halt once more. Once again, the goblin inserted the keys one by one into the keyholes by the side, and slid his long fingers down the front of the vault door, this time it was marked '359'.

As this door slid open, if Nick had felt jealous, he needn't feel jealous anymore. In this vault there were towers of gold stacked neatly into rows, with minimal amounts of bronze knuts scattered here and there, and what looked like a river of silver coins streaked across the ground. "This - ... This is mine?" Nick stuttered, unable to believe his eyes. The goblin glanced at the vault before replying, "Yes, this once belonged to Edward Locke. I must say, he did have a penchant for gold, didn't much like silver or bronze did he? Funny chap."

Once Nick had filled his leather bag with gold, James and Nick dragged their heavy leather bags filled with money back onto the carts, where they were met by a sick-looking Willie. As the cart lurched off again, Willie let out a moan. James glanced at the goblin, who looked supremely bored. "Uh - Excuse me-"

"What?" The goblin said curtly, glaring at him as if he was very much offended by the interuption. "Er - I was wondering what the gold ones and the silver ones - What the difference is?"

The goblin looked surprised for a moment, and then launched into a lengthy explanation. "Wizarding currency is very simple, actually - The bronze ones, those are knuts. Twenty-nine knuts make a sickle - Those are the silver ones. And seventeen sickles to a galleon - that's the golden ones. That means four hundred and nine knuts in a galleon." Nasera paused, for both of them looked completely confused. "Well, you'll get it eventually." He said curtly, barely able to conceal a smug grin.

One wild, manic cart-ride later and they stood blinking in the sunlight outside Gringotts, trying to get used to the glare of brightness now that they are out of the dark dungeon floors. James didn't know where to run to now that he had a bag full of wizarding money, and was sorely tempted to go running to the first store he could see and buy something just so he knew this money was valid. In the Bloomsfield orphanage, you weren't allowed any form of pocket-money. Indeed, the most James had at any one given time was a dollar and twenty cents. As of now he didn't have to know how many dollars there were to a galleon to understand that he now held more money than he ever had in his entire life. Even Nick, who was doted on selfishly by the Matron, was never given more than five dollars.

"Yeh' might as well getcha stuff." Willie nodded towards the stores clustered together by the harborfront. "Lissen' boys, you wouldn' mind if I went and got a pick-me-up wouldcha? I hate 'em goblin-sized carts. Yeh' gotcha shoppin' lists with you, don'tcha?" Willie did look like he was going to fall over any moment; in fact, his face was a delicate shade of green, so James and Nick consented, or rather, nodded weakly. "Great." The massive giant of a man sighed, "I'll meet you two at the wand shoppe, yeh' need some form o' supervision to getcha' wands."

As Willie lumbered off, James and Nick looked at each other, and then at the heavy money bags they had, which were weighted down with wizarding gold. Once enemies, they found themselves united with a common cause: They had no idea where they were supposed to go. "Well, uh." James said first, breaking the uncomfortable silence. "Why don't we go to uh, buy our clothes - Uh- (He stole a glance at the shopping list) - Robes, first."

Nick, for all his bravado, nodded weakly. James thought he looked strangely diminished without Fatty and Snip by his side. As they entered a shop named Gladrags Wizardwear, with robes of all colors on display.

The shop assistant was a cheerful-looking girl with long, straight blond hair and pale green eyes.

"Hogwarts, you guys?" she said, before James even had the chance to speak. "Most of you lot start shopping at this time of year - I'm Hogwarts too, you know. Arisa Havishmen, we haven't met, so you're probably first years?"

As James opened his mouth to speak, he was silenced once again as Arisa started to talk about the robes selection. "We've got all sorts right now - Some muggle clothing too, for casual wear, you know - The newest mauve robes are in, they clash horribly with my hair, but it'd look quite nice on your hair; but I suppose you want the black ones for your school robes? Well, come this way then!"

Nick blinked, and turned to look at James, who merely shrugged. As they trailed after Arisa who was skipping cheerfully across the store. In the back of the shop, several boys were looking either extremely stiff or very nervous as they stood on footstools while various witches hurried around and pinned up their long black school robes. "Hullo, Arisa dear." The elderly shopkeeper said as she hurried over, "Are they hogwarts, too?"

"Yep." Arisa replied happily.

The shopkeeper nodded at her and hurried them along, "Alright, we'll take care of this lot, thank you Arisa-"

"-You're welcome!"

"Now come along you two, just stand on those footstools-"

James and Nick joined the series of young boys standing stiffly on the footstools, not daring to move in case one of the witches doing the fitting pricked them by accident. Nick, who had been silent this whole time, finally managed to say, "This is insane."

"Yeah." James croaked.

After another long pause, Nick finally spoke up again, "That girl at the counter was really pretty."

"I suppose." James croaked a second time.

More silence while a witch bustled about, slipped a long robe over James's head, and begun to pin it to the right length.

Nick shuffled, and then blurted out, "Well - Say something!" James started ("Now don't move, dearie." The witch soothed) and turned to Nick, "Say - what?"

"I dunno - Anything! - We're in this together - Aren't we?" Nick said nervously.

James realised that this boy, the boy who had bullied him, made life horrible for him, and otherwise had everything he did not - was now in the same sort of situation he was in. For one, fleeting moment, James felt Nick didn't deserve it; but that thought was washed away by the knowledge Nick was probably was nervous as he was. "Well. I suppose ... Yeah. I guess." James murmured.

Nick appeared to want to say something, but at that moment, a tall boy with straw-colored hair craned his neck and said to them in a shaky sort of voice, "Hey - You guys - You guys going to Hogwarts too?"

Albeit annoyed at being interupted, Nick said snappishly, "Yes we are. Or at least, we think we are."

The boy looked relieved. "Thank goodness - Me ma's just gone to get my books. I've never been to Obsidian Harbor before. Only to Surrey. I've got nearly everything, I just don't know what pet I'm getting. I think maybe an owl, they're dead useful from what I hear."

James was content to let the boy keep talking and just listen, hoping to grasp any tips. The boy was now in an animated conversation with Nick, who were discussing what kind of pets were the best.

"Personally I think the toad's been out of fashion for awhile." The boy was saying, "Although I wonder why they don't allow dogs? I mean I know there's the issue of housetraining them, but if you allow cats, why not dogs?"

"I dunno, but how do the owls get along with cats?" Nick asked curiously.

The boy paused, and then replied, "Oh no, they don't - the owls are kept in the Owlery, and the cats get free roam in the Common Rooms. Any idea what house you're going to be in, by the way? I just hope I'm not put in Slytherin, I hear they're a rough lot."

"Slytherin?" James interupted, looking blank.

"Oh!" The boy exclaimed, "You don't know what houses there are then? I don't really mind which house I'm getting into - I wouldn't mind Ravenclaw, though. And I suppose Hufflepuff couldn't be too bad. What are your names, by the way? I'm Daniel, Daniel Fletcher. You can call me Dan."

"Nicholas," said Nick.

James hastily said, "I'm James."

"Are you two brothers, then? You don't look like it." Dan pointed out.

Nick seemed to have gained his senses back, and quickly said coolly, "No, we're just from the same orphanage."

"Oh. I'm sorry." Dan said apologetically, sounding genuinely sorry.

"Less chatter, dearies." A witch exclaimed as she bustled towards Tony and started to take his measurements. "Hold this, dear." The witch added, handing Tony a measuring tape that started measuring his sleeves on its own.

"Well this is pretty odd - Where were we again?" said Dan, "Oh yes - I never knew my father that well; my magical blood's from my ma's side. So it's sort of the same, isn't it? I'm - Whoops, sorry!" At that moment Dan had dropped the measuring tape, which he hastily bent over to pick up, only to prick himself with the pins holding his robes in place. The witch hurriedly exclaimed, "No, no, don't move dearie!"

Dan was apologising profusely, "Sorry! I can't seem to get a grip on anything I hold-"

"Typical. You can only get things done half-right, I suppose, being a mixed blood?" Sneered a pale boy with a pointed face who had been eavesdropping.

Miffed, Dan craned his head to look at him. "Who are you, then?"

"I don't think you need to know, or deserve to know my name." The pale boy said, smirking at him.

Just as Dan was about to retort, one of the assistants hurried in again, removed his robes, and handed them to him. "There you go dearie, you can go get anything else you need from Arisa at the counter, and pay there too..."

As Dan and most of the other boys was ushered away, he muttered under his breath so that Nick and James could hear, "There's a Slytherin if I ever saw one."

This left the pale boy standing on the footstool with Nick and James, who were both feeling very uncomfortable. To James's surprise, it was the pale boy who first spoke up, in a haughty, bored sort of voice. "What about you two? Are you like him, then?"

"Dunno." Nick muttered.

The pale boy blinked. "What? Speak up, I can't hear you."

"My dad was a wizard, and I think my mum was too, if that's what you mean." James replied, albeit snappishly.

"Oh. Good. I don't think they should let the other sort in, the ones who don't know they have any magic blood in them till they get the letter. You know what I mean?"

"Er-"

"Personally, I think it's a waste of time trying to teach those muggleborns."

James felt increasingly uncomfortable, as he appeared to be the exact person that this pale boy was describing.

"What's your name anyway? I should know. I know most of the pure-blooded wizarding families. Father has many contacts."

James had never felt more grateful, for at this moment the witch bustled in again and started to lead them out of the shop while removing their completed measurements. After James and Nick paid up, they hurried towards the wand store. It was not hard to spot; it was in the center of one of the roads, all by itself, with a single battered wand on display, and the signboard reading:
Ollivander's: Makers of Fine Wands since 382 BC

They met up with Willie who was looking much better outside of the Owl Emporium near Ollivander's, where he was looking at several venomous serpents; as they walked towards the wand store's entrance, James blurted out, "What's Slytherique and Huffletuff?" Willie looked blank, and then he appeared to realise what they were asking and chuckled to himself as he rapped the side of his own head. "Ah, I forget yeh' don't know much, aye? There's four 'ouses in Hogwarts. Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Slytherin, and Hufflepuff. Dey' all have their own values an' such, everyone says Hufflepuffs a load o' softies, but-"

"Bet I'll be in Hufflepuff." James said gloomily.

"Nah yeh' won't, I see a bit o' my own house in yeh'. Gryffindor, yeh' know - the brave an' strong, people say."

James could very much picture Willie in Gryffindor, but was unable to comprehend himself in a house described as such.

Willie stopped outside of the store, and he waved them in cheerfully. "I'll wait outside, its albeit too smallish in der' for me." As James and Nick entered the narrow and rather shabby store, a stooped old man came out of the back and adjusted his spectacles. "Edward?" The old man said uncertainly, but his sharp eyes recognised Nick at once. "Ah ... No ... You'll be his son then? I remember it as if it were yesterday. Yes, your father bought his wand from here as well." Ollivander said kindly to Nick. "And you'll be Killard." Ollivander's voice was suddenly very stern. "Your father was a rascal, he was, I remember him still."

James nodded stiffly, unable to help himself fidgeting. The whole place looked exceedingly old; when he looked over the counter, his heart did a couple of backflips. Rows upon rows of dusty cases were stacked upon each other, and this was what he had been looking forward to ever since he read the sign: A true, magical wand.

"We'll be able to help you find yours yet ... Come, sit down." Ollivander was saying, waving them to a single dusty chair in the middle of the room. "One of you sit - The other one, come to the counter."

Bewildered, James decided to go first, standing in front of the counter, feeling very small as Ollivander fixed his appraising eye upon his small stature. He nervously brushed a bit of dust off his shoulder. "Raise your wand arm."

"My what-?"

"Your wand arm, boy - the dominant arm."

Raising his right arm uncertainly, he watched Ollivander nod knowledgeably as he searched through the cases, and then removed an old case from the shelves and handed it to him. "Willow, rather springy, core of Dragon heartstring. Give it a go." Ollivander opened the case and held out the slender wand to him. Grasping hold of it, and feeling very foolish, James flicked the wand casually at the roof.

Immediately, Ollivander snatched it out of his arm and handed him another one. "No, no, no! No good at all, here - Try this. Holly; bendy, Unicorn's tail hair as the core - nearly kicked me senseless, that one."

No sooner had James taken hold of it, Ollivander snatched it away from him again. This went on for some time, with James growing more and more nervous as the pile of rejected wands grew higher and higher. At last, Ollivander appeared to pause, and removed a particular wand case carefully. Sliding the wand out, he handed it to Harry, who took it slowly, feeling a sudden warmth rush through his body. Ollivander was looking at him carefully now. "Ebony, very firm, core of a Thestral's tail-hairs. Give it a wave." Waving the wand, feeling a sudden surge of confidence, James himself was as surprised as Nick when a series of golden and crimson sparks shot out of the end of this wand.

"Oho! Bravo!" Ollivander exclaimed, as Willie, who was watching from outside, did a little jig. "Yes, yes ... Bravo, indeed. And I wonder, if this young man..." As Nick stepped up nervously, Ollivander held out a ready wand to him. As Nick reached out for it, Ollivander snatched it away suddenly. "Wait ... No ... Let's try this first. Made out of vinewood, very sturdy, core of Phoenix tail feather." Even as Nick grasped this wand instead, Ollivander took it out of his grip and handed over the original wand he had prepared. "No ... It seems fate plays a fool on us all. Try this instead - Brittle, made of Yew, core of a Thestral's hair tails."

When Nick took hold of the wand and gave it a little wave, it released a shower of blue and silver sparks, and James took it upon himself to applaud alongside Willie (Accidentally releasing a stream of golden sparks again, as he was still holding the wand). "Yes ... Brilliant. How curious," Ollivander was saying, as James and Nick paid the galleons required for the wands. "Excuse me sir - What's curious?" James asked uncertainly.

"Curious ... The wand chooses the owner you know; it's curious that these two wands, brothers of the same core, have chosen you two, when your fathers... " Ollivander fell silent as he turned his misty eyes on them. "Curious indeed."

"You knew my father?" James couldn't help asking as Nick started to leave the shop happily with his wand in hand.

Ollivander smiled wistfully, "I wish I did, young James. I wish I did."

Before James could ask how the old man knew his name, Ollivander had already turned and started walking towards the back. Feeling it would be rude to call out to the wizened wandmaker, James gave a little shaky wave goodbye, and exited the store with Nick, slightly unnerved.

As Ollivander watched the three leave, he closed his eyes and disappeared into the back of the store, whispering under his breath, "How very curious indeed..."

PLATFORM NINE AND THREE-QUARTERS

For the rest of the day, James and Nick were steered along the busy streets of Obsidian Harbor by the amiable giant of a man, Willie, while he took them to buy all their things. He had refused to let Nick buy a pure golden cauldron ("It says 'ere copper-bottomed, Locke!" Willie had said loudly), and had to practically drag James away from a series of nasty-looking books that had instructions on gruesome hexes and curses (Willie grunted, "I'm not seyin' it ain't a good idea to hex tha' old hag, but 'dis 'ere stuff is too advanced for 'yeh, and yeh'd need to be alot more advanced ter' do work dis 'ere magic.") Later, when they were all having ice cream in a pleasant shop called Florean's, Willie surprised them both by presenting them with two owls, one a handsome tawny owl, and the other a haughty-looking white one. "A welcome back to the wizardin' world gift. Dead useful, 'dem owls." Willie had said, and added hastily when the two of them looked at him wordlessly while trying to express their thanks, "Don't think nuffin' of it, they're yours."

After their shopping was done, the Groundskeeper booked two rooms for them in a cosy little Tavern called the Rusty Rock, and told them to ask the barman if they had any questions. The barman, Hank, was a toothless old man who nearly had a heartattack when Willie told him who the two boys he had in his charge were. Hank had assured Willie he would take care of the two boys ("Locke and Killard's sons! In my little establishment!") and promptly put the two of them in large, well-furnished rooms that the two of them would never have even been able to step into, much less stay, back in Harriet. After that, Hank told them to call if they ever needed anything, beaming all the while as he tramped down the stairs and left them to pack their things in large school chests.

Groundskeeper Willie left them two tickets ("Hogwarts Express - Platform 9 3/4, All Passengers Must Board By 9.30AM"), and told them they had four days of free time before Hank would escort them to the station. Willie had smiled, wished them a good day, and told them he would see him at Hogwarts before he hit his head on the too-small doorway on his way out of the Rusty Rock.

Now alone together, James and Nick, whom had never gotten along previously, felt awkward in the same situation and in close proximity. While James spent most of his time reading his spellbooks worriedly to try and boost his brain with any information that might help him, he had spotted Nick leaving the Rusty Rock after telling Hank where he was going. Curious, James had gone down in an attempt to ask Hank where Nick went, when three tall boys came into the Rusty Rock, laughing as they sat down around a table. James's heart stopped for a moment when he saw that the three boys were carrying the heavy Hogwarts chests around. Apparently, one of them, a boy with long and shaggy brown hair swept across his head into a side fringe, had noticed James standing around nervously, and prodded one of his friends and said something.

His friend, a tall boy with spiky black hair sat up abruptly, and glanced around for a moment before spotting James. "Hey there!" He called out, waving cheerfully. "Hogwarts?"

James nodded mutely in reply as all the boy with long hair got up with a scraping of his chair and reached out to drag another chair over. "Take a seat!" The boy with long hair said kindly, gesturing to the empty seat. As James willed himself to walk over and sit down, the boy with spiky hair leaned forward and asked, "So, are you a 2nd year?"

Gulping, James noticed the boy had a thin scar on his lip. "I'm, I'm uh - New."

"Oh, he's going to be a 1st year." The boy with long hair said with slight surprise in his voice.

"I reckon!" said the boy with spiky hair, "Pretty tall for his age. Hold up, I'll make the introductions - I'm Scorpius. Call me Scorp, or Knight, if you want."

"M' Sam. Sam Prince," said the boy with long hair, waving cheerfully. "And this is Tommy."

The last boy, who had remained silent up till now, looked up from a difficult-looking textbook and grinned ruefully. "Sorry, didn't notice 'ya there - Thomas Smith," he held out a hand, which James shook. "Tommy for short."

James almost forgot to introduce himself for a moment, but then hastily said, "James."

Scorpius had strode over to the bar to order something to drink, while Sam was questioning an increasingly nervous James cheerfully. "We're 3rd years, Tommy and Knight are in Ravenclaw. I'm Hufflepuff. Any house you're hoping to be in?"

"Hufflepuff isn't so bad you know, at least we're friendly! And, uh, what was that thing the sorting hat said in our year?"

"Loyal." Thomas piped up, glancing up from his book briefly.

"That's right, loyal. Can't go wrong with us." Sam beamed at James, his excessive friendliness practically overflowing.

Scorpius, who had returned with a tray of four milkshakes, placed them all on the table. "I would've got butterbeer, but he's a 1st year you know. Bad influence on our part."

"Vanilla, vanilla, vanilla, strawberry. Why'd you order strawberry?" Thomas inquired, peering over his book.

"For me, and my sweet tooth." Scorpius grinned, sliding the strawberry milkshake to himself. "You're okay with vanilla, James?"

"Oh - Yes - Let me pay you-" James hurried, while Scorpius waved his wallet away with a smile. "My treat, James."

The conversation around the table was light and friendly; the three boys, having noticed James being alone, had taken it upon themselves to induct him into their company. James could hardly keep up with the increasingly incoherent conversation, with topics of things like the Forbidden Forest, some place called the Wizarding Wheezes, girls (James pointedly looked away at this point), and finally, some strange sport they called 'Quidditch'.

"What team do you support?" Sam asked absentmindedly after a moment, turning to James while ignoring Scorpius's roar of, "Puddlemere United!"

"Uh - Team?"

"Quidditch team." Sam said, before he blinked as realisation dawned upon him. "You don't know what Quidditch is?"

"Well - No, not really-"

The cry of strangled outrage from Scorpius silenced Sam, and the 3rd-year Ravenclaw was off, explaining the rules of the game with four balls, one called a quaffle, two bludgers, and a final one known as the golden snitch. Just as Scorpius was ranting on about the seven players on every team, Nick walked back inside the place, accompanied by two boys who were obviously older than him.

In a matter of seconds, the atmosphere tensed. The two newcomers were staring at Sam, Thomas, and Scorpius, who were taking it upon themselves to glare back at them. After a moment, one of the newcomers said loudly, "Well, I suppose we'll leave you here Nicholas. We can't stand the stench of muggle-lovers in here-"

"Don't do it!" Scorpius warned, as Sam stood up, stiffening as he reached into his robes and grasped what was unmistakably, to James's panic, his wand.

"Oh, do you want to fight, Sam?" The boy sneered, reaching into his own robes as his companion did the same. "No teachers to protect you this time-"

Scorpius shot a warning look at the other boy, who merely flicked out his wand lazily while Sam glowered at him.

Thankfully, Hank had hurried into the place with nervous cries of, "No fighting in here boys!" The five older boys dispersed, leaving Nick and James alone with the barman. Thomas clapped a hand on James's shoulder and muttered, "They're Slytherins. Some of them are okay, but most of them are a bad lot. Stay away from them if you can; see ya at hogwarts." As they left, James tried to start a conversation with Nick while Hank hurried over to the cellar to fetch more supplies.

"So ... Friends of yours?"

"Yeah. I suppose." Nick replied stiffly, his radiant expression when he had walked in wiped off his face.

"Uhm, cool."

After the two of them stood there for a moment, both hurried back to their homes while trying not to bump into the other on the way up the rickety stairs.

For the next few days, nothing else eventful happened. Most of the students that had come to Obsidian Harbor for shopping had already left, and the ones that came into the Rusty Rock for a drink were either stragglers or wizened old men who were delighted to see Nicholas and James. No-one bothered explaining why the two of them were so famous, or rather, whenever any one of the guests tried to mention it, Hank silenced them with a quick glare and a brief smile at James and Nick. James decided to name his new companion, the haughty-looking white eagle owl, 'Cicero', a name he picked out of one of his new textbooks which the owl seemed to like (He spent about an hour reciting various names to the owl; it either hooted rather derisively, or gave a sharp nod James took to mean as approval).

On the day they were to set off, Hank escorted them outside, where a sleek black car had pulled up. "From the Ministry of Magic." Hank explained, waving at the car. "They've done you a favor."

"There's a Ministry of Magic?" Nick had repeated, stunned.

With some difficulty, James and Nick managed to cram their trunks into the back, and with Cicero hooting noisily alongside Pecker (The name Nick had given his own owl), they had set off. The driver was an amiable, short little man who kept the both of them entertained with stories about his own stay at Hogwarts ("When I was there, the caretaker was allowed to hang you by your ankles with chains. I fell asleep this one time while I was dangling on the chain, so the creataker made some changes and started making the chains spin around and around all night...). By the time they reached the station, it occurred to them that the fact they were holding bird cages with owls in them, pushing trolleys with their heavy trunks upon them, and their pockets were weighed down with wizarding gold, meant that non-wizarding folk were staring at them as they walked past.

Nick hastily hurried off, saying he had to go meet someone, and left without even looking back, leaving James alone with his trolley. Upon reading the ticket, James tried to ask the staff where Platform nine and three-quarters was, they were scolded for 'fibbing' and told to stop messing around with the busy staff. With increasing desperation, Nick asked where he could find the train bound to leave at half past nine, and he was told no train was leaving at half past nine by the now-agitated station staff member. Wordlessly, the two of them ran, side by side, from platform to platform, and were finally utterly convinced there was not one platform that was 9 3/4. Just when he was quite convinced that all of this was just some huge prank planned by Nick and the Matron, he heard a familiar voice behind him that made him jump.

"Sup, James." Thomas greeted, walking down towards him with a grin. "Got here alright didn'tcha?"

"Tom." James said, relief flooding his body. "Tom the staff told me there's no such platform - (He stole a glance on his ticket) - it says on here-"

Thomas grinned more than ever, "- Platform 9 3/4, yeah. Bit confusing for a 1st year, I guess - Follow me ..."

With Thomas in the lead, James felt a lot more confident as he followed the Ravenclaw through the vast crowd of people. Now that he looked closely, he could see several people who were obviously wizards because of certain things that betrayed them. Either they, too, were Hogwarts Students who pushed trolleys loaded with wizarding equipment, or they were the parents of the students, who were attempting to dress like Muggles, but not doing too well judging from their erratic arrangement of clothing that ranged from brightly-colored suits to hiking equipment.

When Thomas came to a stop suddenly, James bumped into him due to the sudden, abrupt halt. "Are we there?" James asked, once he glanced around, finding himself in the middle of a thick crowd. Thomas jerked his head involuntarily, "What-? Oh, no. I just, well -" Despite the fact the 3rd year hastily averted his gaze, James managed to catch a glimpse of who he was looking at. It was a girl who had dressed in posh, evidently expensive clothing, with silky hair flowing behind her as she walked with graceful steps whilst looking down at the muggles around her with a haughty gaze.

"Isabella Chaos." Thomas muttered under his breath, giving James a nervous glance. "4th year. Don't think she knows I exist, but-" Thomas sighed heavily and looked at the spot where the girl had been. "- Well, I think she's gone now, er - Let's go then."

James was going to point out that the girl wouldn't know he existed if he ducked into a crowd every time she appeared, but decided against it, for the Ravenclaw looked thoroughly depressed. To his surprise, Thomas was headed straight for a barrier which all the Muggles avoided. "The trick is to try not to pause, close your eyes if you don't feel too confident about it, and then just run right at it!" Charging towards the barrier with all his might, James prevented himself yelling out a warning, because one second ago Thomas looked like he was going to crash, and the next moment he promptly vanished.

Blinking, bewildered, James glanced about him, but could not see anywhere else Thomas could have disappeared to. Hesitating for a moment, he started to push his trolley towards the barrier, feeling exceedingly foolish; squeezing his eyes shut, quite sure that he was about to crash into a solid wall, he kept on running, and by the time he stopped running and opened his eyes, he stared about in wonder.

A long, scarlet-red train was directly beside him, chuffing out purple smoke while the golden lettering at its side read out 'The Hogwarts Express'. Young wizards and witches everywhere were chatting in animated voices to their friends or saying goodbye to their parents. Before James could even start to comprehend what was going on, he heard a commotion behind him and hurried out of the way as two more people came charging out of the solid barrier behind him.

Striding along the floor, a man in a navy-blue uniform was calling out in a clear, ringing voice, "Passengers! The Hogwarts Express will depart in fifteen minutes! I repeat, fifteen minutes!"

The uniformed man caught side of James staring at the train as he walked by, looking awestruck. Fitting a pipe into his mouth, the conductor gave him a wink and puffed out a ring of yellow smoke. "Welcome to Platform 3/4, m'boy!"

At this moment, the Hogwarts Express appeared to greet James Killard in its own way with a loud engine roar.

HOGWARTS EXPRESS

Smoke from the scarlet steam engine rose and drifted slowly along the heads of the chattering crowd packed into the platform; dozens of cats wound their way through peoples' feet, going here and there whilst owls hooted feebly at each other over the noise of loud conversations and scraping of heavy school trunks across the floor.

People jostled James on their way into the Hogwarts Express, with the first few carriages already full of students, some of them hanging out of the windows to have a quick chat with their family and friends, others scooting along to let others have some space to sit. James hastily pushed his trolley down the platform while searching for an empty carriage. While he was hurrying along, he passed two boys who were having a heated conversation, with one of them saying, "In no way does the Firebolt top the Streak!"

"It's a possibility!" The other boy replied defensively.

A tall, strict-looking boy with a sleek ponytail was lecturing a couple of girls on pet regulations as James walked past, though he got the feeling the girls were staring at the boy's handsome features rather than listening to him. His suspicions were confirmed when one of them sighed, "Nathan is so charming..."

James pressed on through the crowd of people until he found a carriage that looked like it still had some space left. Hopping onto the Hogwarts Express, he struggled with the trolley for a few minutes until he realised that no-one else was taking the trolley on board. Feeling slightly foolish, he took hold of Cicero in his cage with one hand and dragged the trunk along with him with the other.

The constant thrum of the engines as the bright-red train prepared to depart was making it difficult for James to navigate his way across the narrow corridors. Most of the compartments in the carriage already had occupants, so he had to continue to search while dragging the heavy trunk along with Cicero, who was hooting indignantly at another owl that had given him a rude look. James wondered where Nick was, and if he had managed to get past the barrier safely to platform Nine 3/4. He put those thoughts out of his head when he spotted Nick in compartment, looking albeit nervous as he sat with several mean-looking boys who were all older than him.

Finally, he found an empty compartment near the end of the train; he put Cicero inside first, and then tried to lift the trunk up onto the baggage area. He heaved it several times unsuccessfully, and more dropped it painfully on his foot once. Just as he was panting and wondering what he should do, two light-haired boys bobbed towards him, walking side by side. "Need a hand?" One of them piped up while his brother, who looked very much like him, gave a little wave.

"Yes, thank you very much." James managed as he panted for breath.

"Yo Sern, stop dozing off and come give 'im a hand!" The first brother called out.

"Comin' Aeon, comin'."

With the brothers' help, James was finally able to push the heavy trunk into the baggage area. As he leaned against the compartment door, he wiped his sweaty hair out of his eyes and nodded to the two brothers, "Thanks, again."

"Hey, no prob', I'm Aeon Summers - My brother, Sern, here-"

"- Yo."

"We're both in Gryffindor. You?"

"Oh I'm ... I haven't been sorted." James said in a flat little voice.

Aeon grinned, "No sweat, just don't end up in Slytherin, eh?"

His brother nodded in agreement as he asked, "So what's your name?"

"Oh. James Killard."

The two brothers expressions changed from cheerful ignorance to awed reverence so fast that James hardly had time to blink. Sern had started to speak very quickly, "Killard? The Killard? You're the son of the legendary Auror?"

"I - What-?" James spluttered.

"Your father was Tyrael Killard?"

"Well, yeah I suppose - I mean, I never knew him; I was an orphan."

Perhaps the brothers sensed the bitterness in his last few words, but they chose not to speak of the subject anymore. With awed looks still etched on their faces, they turned and walked away, chatting amongst themselves in low voices. James wondered what was it about Slytherin that was so forboding to everyone else that they seemed so hostile towards it. As he sat down next to the window, he also wondered what it was about his father, whom he had never known, that made him so famous. As James looked out of the window, he was able to observe the crowd outside.

The brothers had rushed off to join a group of boys and were speaking with them excitedly, and pointing in the direction of James's compartment. James hastily ducked his head as half a dozen curious gazes stared at where he was. Half-hidden, he thought he saw Scorpius and Thomas on the platform somewhere, but lost them as the more and more people started to board the train. Just then, there was a loud commotion near the barrier, and two people in purple robes appeared suddenly. With a jolt, James realised they were wearing the same robes that the people who had appeared in Benny's barn that worn.

As he craned his head to hear what they were saying to the uniformed train guard, a shrill whistle blew and the train begun to move. James watched as the many people on the platform waved at the departing students, and then disappear as the train rounded a corner. He felt a rather lonely sinking feeling as he noted no-one on the platform was waving for him; yet, as he watched the countryside rush past, he couldn't help but feel a great leap of excitement. Where he was going to, he did not know, but compared to what he was leaving behind, he felt it was a definite improvement.

Suddenly the door of the compartment slid open and a boy with sandy hair and a hesitant expression walked in and said, "Do you mind if I sit here? Most of the other compartments are already taken."

"No problem." James replied, moving over so the boy had space to put up his baggage and sit opposite of him. The boy stole a quick glance at James, and then hurriedly looked away and pretended he hadn't seen a thing. As the train blew its horn again and started to gather speed, the boy blurted out, "Are you really James Killard?"

"What? Oh, him," said James, and then he quickly added, "I mean, yeah, I am."

The boy leaned forward, looking nervous. "I thought it was just a rumor, you know, just some joke. Everyone on the train is saying you're in this compartment. And the other one - Nicholas Locke? They say he's in compartment 67."

Wondering what was it that Nick and his fathers' had done, James simply nodded mutely. The boy mumbled something under his breath, and when James looked confused, he said, in a louder voice, "I'm Thomas Fisher. Just Tom, for short."

"I know a Tom." James said suddenly, causing Tom Fisher to nod sourly. "It's a really common name isn't it?"

"I think it's a nice name."

"Thanks." Tom said, fidgeting, and then he blurted out a second time, "So was your father really a famous Auror?"

He sat and stared at James for a few moments, and then, as if realising what he was doing, he hastily gave a mumbled apology and looked down at his own feet. Feeling bad, James cleared his throat and said, "Well - I don't really know - I was an orphan, see?"

"So it's true then?" Tom said, awestruck. "That your father and Edward Locke died in battle together?"

James felt as if all the blood in his body had frozen. "They died together...? My father and ... Edward is Nick's father, isn't he?"

"Didn't you know?" Tom asked, surprised.

"No," James said truthfully, "I'm not tring to be modest or anything. But it's just that I never knew who my father was, or anything about the Wizarding World, do you know what I mean?"

Nick looked taken aback. "Yeah, I guess." He said, though he still looked shocked.

"I bet I'm the worst in class." James confessed, a worry that had been nagging at him ever since he learnt he was a Wizard. "Because I lived with non-magic people ... Erm ... Muggles?"

"Oh I heard about that." Tom said while nodding to himself. "But you won't be the worst in class, there's plenty of brainy muggle-borns. And you aren't muggle-born, you're James Killard! Your family was one of the most prominent pure-blooded lines! What are they like, though, muggles?"

"Matron was terrible. But most of the others were okay; nurse was pretty nice to me..."

While they talked away, the train had zoomed away from the station and was now speeding past vast fields full of grazing animals. It felt good, James thought, just talking with someone that he could treat as a friend. It wasn't because no-one liked James; it was more to do with the fact that Matron, along with Nick, Snip, and Fatty, had prevented anyone getting close to him for fear they would be bullied and picked on as well.

As Tom, who had been shocked that James knew little to nothing about Quidditch, was explaining the finer points of the game to him, there was a great clattering and jangling noise from the corridor and a dimpled woman slid open the compartment door and beamed at them while asking, "Anything off the trolley, boys?"

Both James and Tom leapt to their feet, having talked for so long they forgot they were hungry. James never had the chance to eat any decent snacks while at the orphanage, unless you counted tried, rock-hard biscuits as snacks; having been very near malnourishment all his life, with his pockets full of wizarding gold and silver, James was ready to buy as many Kit-Kat chocolate bars and chewy sweets he could stuff into his pockets.

But the trolley didn't have any Kit-Kat bars or anything that even looked normal. It was laden full of things like Bertie Bott's Every-Flavour Beans, Droobles Best Blowing Gum, Pumpkin Pasties, Wong's Edible Fireworks, Fluffy Cauldron Cakes, Chocolate Frogs, Liquorice Wands and Peppermint Pet Treats. Not wanting to miss out on anything, James bought a bit of everything, even the Peppermint Pet Treats - purely because Cicero had started hooting madly at the sight of them.

"Got a pet, huh?" Tom said enviously as he looked at Cicero, "Mum wouldn't get me one, said I wouldn't be able to take care of it by myself. Wish I could've got an owl though, what's his name?"

"Cicero. I read about it from a History textbook."

"Oh, that Roman Wizard..."

Tom continued to stare as James tipped everything onto an empty seat.

"Hungry, huh?" He said as he bit into one of his own pumpkin pasties.

James gave a muffled reply as he sank his teeth into a cauldron cake.

For the next hour, James and Tom had a pleasant time devouring all of the things they bought. Tom had only bought a few pumpkin pasties, which were soon gone; though he was hesitant at first, the both of them were soon eating their way through James's small mountain of snacks. James yelped in surprise as his chocolate frog jumped out of the packet and escaped through the window, had steam blow out of his ears after eating a charcoal bean, and there was a bit of a commotion when Wong's Edible Fireworks exploded in his mouth, giving him a literal blast of flavour.

Soon they were examining the Chocolate Frog Cards, which James couldn't help continually staring at since the pictures kept moving. As the train passed a thick forest, someone knocked on their compartment door and the boy James had spotted in Gladrags walked in. "Is it true?" The boy, whose name, James vaguely remembered, was Daniel. "Everyone in the train's saying it - you're James Killard?"

"It's true Dan." Tom piped up.

Dan turned his head in surprise, "Tom! Wondered where you went. Sorry there wasn't any space back there."

"No problem."

Turning his attention back to James, Dan sat down and started firing off questions about the Houses. "Do any of you know which house you're going to be in? I hope I'm not in Hufflepuff!"

"I'd take Hufflepuff if you told me to choose between Hufflepuff and Slytherin." Tom pointed out.

"True."

"What's so bad about Slytherin?" James couldn't help asking.

"Are you kidding? Slytherin's produced countless dark wizards! The man that dueled your father, Ralec, I hear he was a Slytherin t-"

Upon seeing the look on James's face, he fell silent. Tom looked uncertainly at him and asked, "You alright, James?"

"What? Oh, yeah - It's just - It's just a bit of a shock ... Ralec-?"

"Sezara Lecrae'vian." Tom said quietly, "Went by the name Ralec. When he was in power, everyone was terrified of him..."

"He tried to rally the Death Eaters, after Voldemort's demise." Dan continued in a hushed voice.

Tom nodded solemnly, "Nearly succeeded too."

"Your father put a stop to him though! Tyrael Killard; he fought alongside Edward Locke and defeated Ralec." Dan added excitedly, "Both he and Edward were aurors! Your father's famous. It was really sad he and Edward died fighting."

"Thing was, they both had sons, but no-one knew where they were," said Tom, "That's why everyone's so fascinated."

James felt they were expecting too much of him because of who his father was. But now, at last, he understood why his father had left him at an orphanage, but why not a wizarding orphanage? Why an orphanage in the middle of nowhere? He was told a 'strange person' had dropped him off at the orphanage by Matron and Nurse. When he was young, he used to dream that his father was a heroic adventurer who would come bursting into the orphanage to rescue him from the Matron, but after years had passed, he had given up hope of that. Now, out of nowhere, the news that his father was a famous wizard had caught him off-guard. James felt like his father had left him a legacy, and as the train trundled along, he thought of that legacy as Hogwarts, where he would be taught how to use magic ... Perhaps this was the place where his father had stayed and been educated at as well...

Wondering which House his father might have belonged to, James barely noticed Dan and Tom staring at him, as if he would explode at any moment. Blinking, James decided to change the subject by hastily asking, "What's an Auror?"

"A Dark-Wizard Hunter," Dan replied immediately, "They're the elite! They work for the Ministry and catch Dark Wizards." The ringing admiration in his voice made it all too clear what Dan wanted to be when he left Hogwarts.

James wondered what sort of jobs qualified Witches and Wizards were offered; did they slay Dragons, maybe? Or did they assist the government behind the lines? While all sorts of wild thoughts popped up in his head, the sky was getting darker, and the train appeared to be slowing down.

Dan hurried out of their compartment shortly afterwards to change into his school robes, and James and Tom thought they might as well follow suit. Pulling off his too-big jumper, James slipped on the long, flowing school robes as the train turned sharply. As he poked his head out of the robes, he found himself looking at a great castle with many towers perched upon a tall mountain, with its thousands of windows sparkling and twinkling in the starry night sky.

"Hogwarts," Tom breathed, "It's ... It's brilliant!"

And James couldn't help but agree.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back