Guilt is a Poison

Epsilon worked his way from aisle to aisle, cramming books roughly into their rightful places. His mind was far from his work but he struggled again and again in vain to concentrate on it, prefuring to dround himself in his work than to think about his sister.

He'd been concentrating intently on his work, his mouth set in feirce frown with the effort, when one of the books from his armload fell out of his grasp and fluttered heavily to the floor like a wounded bird. He stooped quickly to pick it up, setting the others aside so he could inspect the stray more thoroughly. He glanced at the title page and froze. It was one of Mohindra's favorites, A Tale of Insanity. She must have dropped it when she'd fallen and someone had brought it here, mistaking it for a library book.

His thoughts flooded then, tomenting him without mercy. She'd walked off a flight of stairs. Simple as that. He didn't want to believe it natually, but he'd been there. He'd seen it... but why hadn't he seen it coming? He'd known her better than anyone else. He'd saved her once before... why hadn't he caught her this time? WHY?

With a snarl, he chucked the book toward the far wall, watching it twirl as it flew, its pages fluttering with an odd whispering sound.

Athene was working on her Herbology homework, when a book came flying out of an isle, hitting the wall next to her.
Someone's throwing books at me now, She thought with a hiss. how mature.

She picked up the book and stormed between the shelves from where it came.

"What the helldo you think you're.." she trailed off at the sight of the man.

Epsilon glanced up sharply at the girl who had adressed him, his anger and distress still boiling fiercely in his blood. He stared at her for a moment with pained eyes and then turned on his heels and waundered off a ways, muttering a feeble "sorry" over his shoulder.

Sighing, he stopped at the far wall, leaning back against it heavily before sinking to the floor. He'd never been very good at controling his temper once he lost it but then again, it wasn't often that he snapped.

Athene crossed her arms, unsure what to do. Had he been a student, she probably would have given him a piece of her mind, but unfortunately, he was not. However, her anger hadn't quite abated.

"You know, I'm sure if the librarian saw you throwing books around, you'd be in trouble!" She said snidely to his back, although somewhat lamely. She bit her lower lip. If only she could be as daring as Bella, she might have a little fun and stun him. Or even curse him.

Athene flushed. If Bella were here, she'd be laughing at her. But, thought Athene, why do I care what Bella thinks anyway? Just because she's older, and knows more curses, doesn't make her any better than me, does it? She shook all thoughts of Bellatrix Green from her mind, and drew her attention back to the young man.

Epsilon laughed coldly, glaring up at the girl from where he sat. "I am a librarian." He muttered, leaning his head back against the wall. He could have said more, in fact, he probably would have enjoyed flying off the handle for once but he wasn't blind. Clearly this girl was having troubles of her own as well, otherwise she would have let him be.

Athene scoffed. "Well then, you know shouldn't the throwing books." Wait... what am I saying?
"But thats not the point," she corrected herself quickly. "What I mean is, you shouldn't be throwing books at me!" She tried to make herself sound bigger than she was, glaring up at him, her face screwed up into a pout and cheeks slightly flushed.

Epsilon rolled his eyes. "Yes, well, unless you happen to be a wall or just open air, it wasn't my intention to throw it at you," he snapped.

"Well, watch where your throwing things next time," Athene snarled, glaring at him. Although she was beginning to calm down, and curiosity was starting to sink in.

Jasper seemed to have floated in at the wrong time.
People were arguing and the librarian guy seemed upset.

"Excuse me," Jasper inquired, "Do you have any books on ghosts?"

((ghosts cant even influence physical objects))((i dont know what my point was.))

"Thanks," Jasper said, frowning slightly, as he floated in the direction the librarian had pointed him in. Jasper turned back toward the man and added "If there's anything you need to talk about, I'll be around..."

Athene looked at the ghost in disgust. She really really detested ghosts.

She snapped back to the librarian. "Why're you throwing books, anyway? If not to bodily harm me."

"It was my sister's book," Epsilon said with a sigh, leaning his head back against the wall. Is, not was, he thought sharply, correcting himself.

"She... well you probably heard what happened." He went on, staring at a waterstain on the ceiling. "I guess I kind of lost it when I saw that stupid book."

Athene, who had absolutely no idea what had happened, stared at him incredulously. "What makes you think I'd know anything about your personal life?" she asked, slightly suspicious. But then she realized the use of past tense, and wondered what had happened to make the book no longer his sisters.

"What happened to her?" She asked quietly.

"She fell a couple days ago from the fourth floor stairs..." Epsilon sighed, looking away. "I'd thought she was getting better. She'd been doing so well."

That's the way it was with everything, though wasn't it? Nothing was ever really what it seemed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back