Group Read

So starting tonight I will be reading a chapter a night to Aidyn. I read all seven books to my stomach while I was pregnant with him. Every few months we also watch all the movies. Harry Potter has so many amazing memories for me. I was in basic training when the seventh book was released. I broke into the locker that had my civilain clothes. Climbed out of my barracks window walked the couple of miles to the PX to buy the book and then kept it hidden for two weeks while reading it. Once I was finished I sold it to someone for $60. They got caught with it and tried to blame it on me but I had already mailed the cash home to my mom so she could put it into my bank account so that I could not get caught with it. Oh the memories.

I'm enjoying reading Snape parts all over again, knowing what we find out about him at the end of the series. Seeing his interactions with Harry are pretty interesting, especially knowing that Harry is going to eventually name a kid after the guy. xD

I've just reached the Christmas holiday chapters...Mirror of Erised is coming up! ^_^

Donna: Yes!

I've just finished the whole part with Hagrid and his dragon. Honestly, I thought he had the dragon for a lot longer in the book, chapter wise and time wise. It was only one chapter though and he didn't have the Dragon for much longer than a week! xD

I did enjoy the whole explanation to Harry about dragons being illegal to keep and telling him that no, Romania was not the only place where dragons roamed.

And Malfoy is such a rat sometimes, going to McGonagall to tell her about the dragon drop off point. :tut: :p

Well I just got to The Potions Master chapter. I've loved everything so far, including the punny author names on the school textbooks xD

One thing I didn't like was when Ron said that he had Bill's old wand, even when wands shouldn't get passed down like that...Bill needs it himself anyway, amirite?

Also, why are HNZ wands up to 17" long when Ollivander calls 13" long in the book?

When I get the chance I'll have to upload a pic of my first ever copy of Harry Potter... It's definitely seen better days xD

James Adams said:
Well I just got to The Potions Master chapter. I've loved everything so far, including the punny author names on the school textbooks xD

One thing I didn't like was when Ron said that he had Bill's old wand, even when wands shouldn't get passed down like that...Bill needs it himself anyway, amirite?

Also, why are HNZ wands up to 17" long when Ollivander calls 13" long in the book?
Cuz we're cool like that? :cool:

7RrMjB2.png

Finally got around to it. So yeah, it's um... definitely not in as good a condition as my other ones. I've had this since it came out in 1997.

I'm done! :party:

I love the Dumbledore wisdom at the end of every book. :p This book's wisdom set the stage for a lot of future books now that I'm re-reading things. There is the mention of the prophecy, the idea of Voldemort not understanding love and the mention of Harry's dad and the invisibility cloak. Tons of foreshadowing...I love it!

I do love that in the midst of awarding house points to the Gryffindors at the end of year feast, Dumbledore saves Neville for last. He could've awarded points in any order, but his decision to make Neville the person who wins them the house points is calculated on Dumbledore's part, I'm sure, and extremely awesome. It always gets me a bit teary eyed that he does that for Neville. xD

Me too, Neville was my favourite character!

I finished reading it yesterday too (my cousin wants me to read the next one too :party: ). I loved the ending, especially Dumbledore's quotes of wisdom at the end. One issue I had was Dumbledore flying on broom to London, but Rowling contradicts herself in the sixth book when he apparates in Hogwarts (I think it's the sixth?)

He's the headmaster though. Why couldn't he take down the anti- apparation charm/spell whatever it is?

Maybe he didn't really want to go so he used the longest method possible? :p I do that when I don't really want to go somewhere.

Or maybe he just wanted to feel the wind in his beard? :o

I thought Dumbledore was allowed to apparate in Hogwarts.

But then I like to think the wind in his beard thing is true :r =))

James Adams said:
I finished reading it yesterday too (my cousin wants me to read the next one too :party: ). I loved the ending, especially Dumbledore's quotes of wisdom at the end. One issue I had was Dumbledore flying on broom to London, but Rowling contradicts herself in the sixth book when he apparates in Hogwarts (I think it's the sixth?)
In the book he doesn't apparate, in the film he does. In the book, I'm fairly certain they walk to the perimeter of the school and apparate.

And really, the idea that Dumbledore would fly between Hogwarts and London would purely be for the purpose of Dumbledore testing Harry to see if he would do it. If you subscribe to the theory that Dumbledore was aware of what Harry and his friends were doing it is plausible that he would take the longest route to see if they would. I mean I love Dumbledore, but he's kinda a **** to harry at times.

I like this and I don't care if I'm late to the reply, I first saw Harry Potter in my Library at school when I was 12, I liked to read even back then but had never heard of it. I read what it was about and liked the idea so I checked the book out and read it. For Christmas that year I got the second one and then I borrowed the third one from a friend so I could read it before the fourth one (my library only had 1, 2, and 4 for some reason)... then I waited for the Movie and the rest of the series to come out.

I remember talking about it with a friend when they announced the movie and waiting in line for the final book when I was in Germany. I actually have copies of Harry Potter 1 and 7 both the American and English editions. Good memories!

So since I finished the first book, I continued reading. The trio has just reached the Great Hall for sorting in the fourth book. Moody's yet to arrive :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back