OOC First Name
Charlie
Blood Status
Muggleborn
Relationship Status
Interested in Somebody
Wand
Straight 11 1/2 Inch Rigid Mahogany Wand with Mermaid Scale Core
It should have come as no surprise to anyone that the first place that Eoin made sure he was comfortable with was the library. No doubt this was going to become his new home now he was stuck in this weird school with all these weird things and even weirder classes. But it was pleasing to see that the library was so big, shelves stacked with books he couldn't wait to get his hands on. But for now he was just getting used to where everything was, wandering up and down the shelves, taking note of how things were organized. But one particular title caught his attention, pausing as he pulled the book from the shelf to fully take in the cover. "Unfogging the future," he read off the cover, frowning as he flipped the textbook over to read the back, "What? Like psychic's and stuff? People can actually do that?"

While Natalia wasn't all that interested in studying, she knew that she was expected to do alright in her classes. She also knew that the library held a lot of important information that could be useful outside of classes as well. Like lists of important families, or recent magical history that could be relevant. It would be boring to look through those books, but Natalia knew it would please her parents. The problem was that she really didn't know where to start, and Natalia was not going to ask for help. She didn't need something as stupid as a librarian to tell her where to look. She would figure it out. The girl moved past different shelves, her head tilted up so she could read the spines. A frown on her face as she focused. She was pulled out of her focus by a nearby voice, and turned in the direction to see who had spoken. It was a boy, another first year, and from his words one thing became clear. He was not from this world. Even little kids should know about Divination. Right? "Psychics?" She asked him. "That is a Divination book." She said it like it should be obvious. Maybe he was just a little stupid, and maybe her saying this would be enough to help him realize what he was looking at. But somehow, she doubted it.

This all was just terribly confusing for him. Everything he had read in storybooks was turning out to be real and that was something an eleven year old shouldn't have to wrap their heads around. It was bad enough that magic was supposed to exist, but then there were all those magical creatures and other abilities that apparently existed as well. It was almost like the life he had been living for the past eleven years was a complete lie. He wrinkled his nose at the writing on the cover of the book, glancing up as a female voice responded. "Yeah, but I was talking about people who can like.. actually see into the future and can talk with the dead and stuff. Psychics." he knew what divination was, but he was surprised to find it might actually be real. He supposed it made a little sense as ghosts were apparently real as well.

Natalia returned her attention to the books in front of her, but the boy responded to her words in an infuriating way. She couldn't simply ignore it. She frowned, turning to him again with a slight huff. "You're talking about seers." She snapped. "That is what they are called. If your kind must come to this school the least you could do is educate yourself on basic things." She told him coldly. "You're making a fool of yourself already." She added, shaking her head a little. "Muggles are ridiculous." She added under her breath. "Psychics?" She didn't know the word, but it sounded wrong.

The response he had not been expecting from this girl was that. There was no need to be that rude about things. Eoin simply blinked for a moment, processing what she had just said. "Seers are just people who can see into the future, psychics and mediums are the ones speaking to dead people and stuff. Which is what I was talking about," he snapped back. He wasn't stupid,. In his mind, she was the stupid one for not even knowing what psychic mediums were. "So, I think you're the one making a fool of yourself," because he certainly didn't feel very foolish. And that was going to be the end of that as far as he was concerned, but then he heard the mutter under her breath, turning his head back towards her again. Muggles? He was pretty sure he had heard that before, was it, non-magical people? If it was that, muggles were not the ridiculous ones, that title rested with these stupid witches and wizards waving their stupid wands.

Natalia couldn't believe the boy was now trying to lecture her on terms used in the magical world. She nearly wanted to laugh, but didn't. It would just make her look undignified. "You're an idiot." She declared calmly. "Those aren't real, they are just muggles pretending." She said with a roll of her eyes. "The only way to talk to dead people is if they leave a ghost behind, or a painting of themselves but that isn't quite the same." At her grandfather's estate, there were a lot of old portraits of their ancestors and Natalia had never gotten the impression they were very chatty. But maybe they hadn't been in life either. "Don't speak about things you don't know about." She told him. "You can't come into our world and then pretend you know better than real wizards and witches." She told him haughtily. If she came from such a background she would keep her mouth shut and learn as much as she could before adapting to the world as much as possible. And even then, it would probably be obvious she didn't really belong. This boy was a clear example of that.

He was getting more and more annoyed with this girl who seemed to think that she knew everything. "So ghosts, talking portraits, waving a stupid wand and doing all sorts of ridiculous spells and seers looking into the future is alright with you, but the idea that there might be people out there who can actually speak to the dead is too much? Maybe think that's a little closed-minded of you at all?" While he had thought that all of the above was completely ridiculous, now he was at Hogwarts and actually seeing some of this with his own eyes he was having to change his opinion. Just because there was no proof of something didn't mean it wasn't possible. He had learned that by the fact that all those stories of mythical creatures he had thought were just that, stories, were actually true in the magical world. "And I take it you must be an expert on the matter, then?" At least, she was trying to act like one, but Eoin was hardly buying it. "And as for real witches and wizards, I think you'll find I'm just the same as you. So nice try."

Natalia looked at the boy as he listed some things that were completely normal, then acted like it wasn't. "No, it's not." She told him when he asked if it was close-minded of her. "Those are real things." She told him, frowning. "You must have bought a wand, you'll learn to do spells with it this year, if you're even really magical," she couldn't help adding, "and seers are just... real. It's been proven. There's books and... and prophecies." She told him, getting a little frustrated. "Just because you're new to all this, doesn't mean you get to act like it's weird." She told him, crossing her arms. "Don't you think that's rather arrogant?" She huffed. He acted sarcastic when he asked if she was an expert on things, but Natalia smirked slightly. "Well, clearly more than you." She told him. Her smirk faded at his next words. "No you're not." She snapped. "You don't know anything, you're basically just a muggle who got lucky." She told him. "You'll never be as natural at magic as someone like me."

She made an argument about books being written about the things he had mentioned, which was true, he was still currently holding one of them in his hand. "There are books about people being able to talk to the dead as well," he did have to offer in response, shrugging as he slid the book he was holding back onto the shelf, "And anyone can come up with a prophecy. I could make one right now and what's to say it's not real?" But he didn't exactly agree that he shouldn't be allowed to think that any of this wasn't completely weird. Was he just supposed to accept all of this as the new normal after years of just thinking it was fantasy? "No, I think it's perfectly logical, thanks," people who could just accept all of this without even questioning the logic behind all of it were the weird ones in his head. "Clearly not," he offered his own opinion with a small cough, raising a brow as he seemed to have hit a nerve by calling the two of them the same. "And how would you know that? You seen me do magic?" Impossible, seeing as he hadn't even attempted any. And he would hardly call that random wand-waving back in Ollivanders proper magic.

Natalia was growing more and more frustrated by this boy, and stomped her foot. "Muggle books don't count." She snapped, forgetting to keep her voice down in the library. "And clearly you don't know how prophecies work. Why are you pretending you understand anything when you clearly don't? You should be reading some of these books to actually understand things." She told him, gesturing to the books around them. "If you want to be here, you should learn about our world before you start blabbing nonsense." She added, her voice quieter again as she took on her usual haughty attitude. She hadn't meant to snap like that, but she didn't get why this kid was being so arrogant. Natalia frowned at him as he asked how she knew that. "Everyone knows that." She told him simply. "Muggleborns are going to be behind because they don't have a natural gift." She said, stating it as if it was a fact. "I don't need to see you do magic to know that."

The argument that muggle books didn't count was just stupid. They still wrote about magical things, and sure, he was sure they must think that it was all fake when it supposedly all real, but that didn't mean it didn't count. "I have done some reading, thank you very much," and he did have plans to read through the whole library before he graduated. But he didn't think that this girl really knew anything about the subject either and was just saying stuff to try and look more self-important and better than him. Though he did have to give her a strange look for a moment, "Who said anything about me wanting to be here?" Because he most certainly did not, he never wanted to learn magic and would much rather be at home at some nice and normal school. "No, I don't think everyone knows that," because he had already met people who didn't spout that sort of nonsense, "But when I end up being better at magic than you, I will make sure to come and let you know."

Natalia snorted as the boy insisted he had done some reading. "Clearly not enough." She told him coolly. "If you're still this ignorant." But just as Natalia was starting to think she should just leave this boy and go on with her life, he said something that made her whirl on him. "What?" She asked him, disbelief clear in her voice. "Why wouldn't you want to be here?" In her eyes, muggleborns were barely deserving to be at a place like this, and this boy had the gall to imply he would rather be somewhere else? She had never imagined hearing that from someone like him, and it made her gape at him in surprise for a moment. She then collected herself, though she was still rattled. "I- you-... ugh! you clearly don't know anything." She snapped. "And you'll never be better than me at anything either." She added in a huff, turning away to leave the boy behind.

He couldn't help but snort just a little at that choice of words, "If anyone is being ignorant in this conversation, that would be you." It was quite clear she was someone who thought that magic was simply superior to everything else and muggles didn't know anything. And he very much doubted he would be able to do anything to change her mind about it. But his sudden admission that he didn't even want to be at Hogwarts seemed to have caught her off guard somewhat, "There are a lot of reasons why I don't, none of which you would understand so I don't feel the need to explain myself to you, thanks." No doubt telling her his reasons would only end in even more unsavory comments he'd rather not deal with. And while he was someone who didn't really enjoy confrontation, he couldn't help the small smirk at how his words were currently affecting this girl. "Yeah well, we'll see about that," was all he offered with a bright smile, almost looking forward to lessons just to prove that he could be good at this magic business.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back