Friends Are Like Books, They're Wonderful

Vanessa Parker

Vanessa giggled a little. She was reading a funny poetry book by muggle author, Shel Silverstein. She used to love his books and poems, and decided she could dig up good memories by reading more of them. She noticed a girl who looked like she was in her third year, same as Vanessa. She walked over to the girl with a smile on her face. "Hey," she said. "I'm Vanessa. And I hope I'm not bothering you or anything."

[Sorry for the bad post, I'm tired.]

Daisy was bored. Like seriously bored. The winter weather was terribly bad today, which meant she wasn't able to go outside.. unless she wanted another cold. The Slytherin had just gotten over a horrible bout of sickness, and had been cooped up in the dungeons for the past week. Unlike many of her housemates, Daisy wasn't a big fan of shadowy, cold, stone prisons. She much preferred the sunshine, and to be able to run across the grassy fields in her bare feet. Actually, that's why she'd come down with the flu in the first place. The reckless fourteen year old had thought it a good idea to go dancing in the rain, jumping in puddles and such. It didn't seem like that great an idea when she woke up the next morning feeling terrible. So to be finally free of her illness, and her dormitory, was a marvellous feeling. While she was missing the outdoors, Daisy knew it was best to be patient. Summer wasn't that far away, right?

So now she found herself in a very unlikely place. The library. While Daisy did enjoy learning, and she liked reading books for fun, libraries just weren't a place you'd expect to find her. She wasn't dumb at all, just someone that preferred creative pursuits to those that were academic. She was a photographer and artist, or so she liked to dream. While Daisy sat in a big, warm armchair, she sketched in her notebook. Just waves, clusters of flowers, and other summery things that reminded her of home. She had become rather absorbed in her drawing, that she didn't at first hear when another girl spoke to her.

Finally snapping out of her daydream, Daisy looked up at the girl - who called herself Vanessa - with a slightly dazed expression on her face. "Oh, um hi. I'm Daisy. And no, you're not bothing me at all!" she replied with a small smile, pointing with her pencil to the armchair opposite her, an invitation for Vanessa to sit.

Vanessa continued to smile as she sat down in the armchair Daisy had pointed to. She sighed contentedly. It was comfy and brought back some of the stories she had started but left to rot when she was a kid. She had just lost interest in them. In stories altogether. She had become more of a poetry person. A particular story came to mind. A character based on herself at Hogwarts in a chair such as the one she was sitting on and made a friend. Vanessa had started it when she was a first year. She giggled a little, before remembering she was with another person.

"That's good. Nice to meet you, Daisy," she said. "And sorry about that moment there. This just brings back memories. As you can tell, they're happy ones." Vanessa winked at Daisy. She was silent for a minute. "You know, the other day I was imagining this world where- Never mind."

She bit her lip and sat up straight in her seat. She thought she was the only teenager in the world who still made up things. She relaxed a little when she thought of one of her own statements. 'Those who do not dream will tire from reality, and then they will see how much my dreams mean to me,' she thought. It wasn't much, Vanessa had made it up when she was little, but she felt a little reassured by it.

As Vanessa sat down, Daisy looked back at her notebook. She drew a few more haphazard pencil strokes, not sure if she had anything else to say. The young girl was usually quite talkative, but when she focused on something like drawing, she really did focus hard, and found it difficult to snap out of swiftly. Daisy rested her pencil on the page, and gently closed the book. She had finished with her sketch for now. Instead, she decided to turn her attention back to the girl opposite.

When Vanessa giggled at seemingly nothing, Daisy laughed a bit too. Not because she understood what the joke was, but because she thought it quite odd to laugh at nothing in particular. Her laugh wasn't awkward or rude at all, just a little bit questioning, as in 'why are you laughing? I don't know. I might as well just laugh along anyway, because it's infectious like that'. However, Vanessa soon clarified that she was simply recalling old, happy memories. Daisy nodded, she now understood. She too had many happy memories, and often laughed about them to herself. While it was a little bit awkward to do so in public, Daisy did understand.

The Slytherin listened intently as Vanessa continued to speak, talking of how she had imagined something, before stopping suddenly. "World where..?" Daisy prompted, interested in hearing the rest of the story. She herself had an extremely vivid imagination, and frequently dreamt up the most silly of stories. She found it wonderful when others did the same, even though that was quite rare. Daisy too sat up a little straighter, to show that she was actually curious for an answer, not just asking out of boredom.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back