Fresh air

Dominic Thatcher

Wand
12 inch, Eucalyptus, Essence of bunyip fang
Dominic strolled through the grounds of Hogwarts. Taking in every sight. He was glad to be outside. Dom had spent most of the past month inside, busying himself with homework and other things of that sort. It was a nice autumn day, not too hot and certainly not to cold. Deciding to go somewhere he wasn't familiar with, he headed for the cliffs. He knew perfectly well that they were off limits, but had been told that this rule was not as strictly enforced as the forbidden forest (and Dom had snuck in there plenty of times).

He shuffled up to the edge of the cliff, peering over. Dom sat on the hard rock, dangling his legs over the edge of the cliff. Dom was afraid of many things, but heights was evidently not one of them. Taking a mars bar (sent by his mother) out of his pocket, he admired the view from the cliffs. It was truly a breathtaking sight.

Zazuka was of a floaty disposition today, mainly because she had been messing a little with the fomula for her Lotus potion but another was because she had let herself fall into it. She knew she was safe now because the Delphie was protecting her from the forces that where trying to drive her mad. Zazuka saw that there was someone looking at the cliffs. Being a Prefect Zazuka didn't come out to the cliffs very often but when she did she loved the view.

Her brown dress futtered around her as she made walked against the soft wind. "Beautiful in it's own right isn't it?" She asked someone that was there. Her visions may have been kept down but she still had her senses. She could tell that there was someone there. She looked over and smiled. It was a fellow Ravenclaw. "I've seen you before haven't I?" She asked with a kind smile on her face.

Dominic turned to see a girl in a brown dress walking towards him. "Yeah," he agreed, airily, turning his head back towards the view. The girl was vaguely familiar. Dom pondered on where he had seen her before. She was one of the first people he met after his transfer, she taught him something about tarot cards. "Yeah, I think so," Dom said, "You're a seer or something, right?"

Zazuka leaned against a rock formation that was tall enough to be leaned against. "I remember now Dominic if I'm not mustaken. A pleasure to see you again." She said her smile turning dreamy. She wondered what her friends where doing at the moment but she was happy to get to know someone that was some what new. "I am. Seer number 215 third class. Second class if I can show that I have better control over my ablities. For a while there it seemed like they had control over me." She said putting her hand out and bending her fingers as if she where trying to get some kinks out of her hands.

Dom gave a quizzical as this girl went on about seer numbers and classes, but decided not to ask, maybe another time. Picking up a rock and throwing it down the crevasse, he tried to remember this girl's name. "Um, sorry I'm terrible with names," Dom said. He wondered what exactly she meant by her abilities having control of her, whatever it meant, it didn't sound good. "So seers," he said, half talking to himself, "they can see into the future, can't they?"

Zazuka smiled. "Zazuka, don't worry it's not a very easy name to understand." She said than laughed softly into her right hand. She seemed to be a very good mood today though it wasn't often when she had a bad day. "From time to time. Sometimes we see into the past and still others we look into the present but not what is happening right infront of us." She said almost cypticly. She felt like being a puzzler today though she hoped it wouldn't annoy Dominic too much.

Dom nodded his head slowly, taking in what this Zazuka was saying. He thought he got what she meant. She could not only see into the future but also see things happening in the present, but somewhere else. Made sense, kind of. A nice breeze swept past, making Dom a little nervous, as he was sitting right on the edge of the cliff, but it was only a little windy. Nothing to worry about, Dom told himself, reassuringly. "Are you born a seer?" Dom asked, "or do you train to be one?" He was definitely curious about this, like everything that was magical.

Zazuka could tell, like she always could tell, that she was losing Dom a little bit. The thought made her giggle on the inside. It was a little mean perhaps but Zazuka fount it fun to make people have to figure out what she was saying. She listened to the question while thinking of the best way to answer it. “A little of both. There are people that are born with certain abilities but in the long run a Seer must train themselves in their art or lose it forever. There are cases though when the power is too strong to let it fade. For them the choice is train or let the visions that attack them drive them to insanity. The second is the case with me.” She said a little sadness in her voice. There where times when Zazuka would give anything to be rid of the ‘gift’ once and for all. "Others still are born with no ablity at all but study and train themselves and they do just fine." She added as more of a side note.

Dom laughed to himself briefly, usually it was himself that lost people in conversation, saying things that sometimes made absolutely no sense. He could tell, Zazuka was having fun saying things all cryptically. Dom listened closely to what she was saying. Noticing the sadness in her voice when she said, "For them the choice is train or let the visions that attack them drive them to insanity. The second is the case with me.” "Well honestly, you don't seem very insane," Dom said, truthfully. Dom was trying to think of something confusing to say bak to Zazuka, he fancied being a bit of a puzzler as well today.

Zazuka smiled kindly. "Thank you, Dominic I do try to keep myself in a relatively sane level." She said with humor on her voice. She looked up at the white puffy clouds that where rolling over the sky. She wished it would rain for a moment but then knew that if it did she would have no one left to talk to out here. Not that he was understanding everything that she was saying. "There are times when I get overwhelmed though. Never a pleasant sight but my friends have learned to deal with it as I have." She said her voice getting dreamier. She was losing herself in thought now. She allowed herself to do so now because of the protection of the Lotus potion.

Dom chuckled a little. "Me too," he said jokingly, he was often called insane mostly by his family. But they were just joking, except for maybe his little sister who was just trying to get on his nerves. Again, Dom cast his gaze over the view from the cliffs. Wondering what it most be like to get overwhelmed by power, Dom lay on his back. Staring up at the clouds he asked, "when you say you lose control sometimes. Do you mean you are sort of not yourself anymore? Like you are a different person?" Dom's imagination began to run away with itself, what sort of things had this girl maybe done. He shuddered and told himself to calm down, she would never do anything bad like that, it was just his overactive imagination.

Zazuka laughed into her the tips of her fingers. "Yes well there are people that will never understand." She said happily. Her family had not been so forgiving of her gifts. Well her father and brothers had considered her nothing less than a demon. The family that she had discovered while at school loved her and would do anything for her. She still couldn't go to them with what she saw. "I've been possessed before by spirits with something to say. Mostly it's visions that attack me and spend my energy to do so. When they leave I have to sleep for a long time. When fall a sleep sometimes visions come but those I don't remember. Still they spend me and make it so I feel tired all the time. Only now have I figured out how to control it." She said thinking of the small heart shaped bottle that was now in her pocket. Liquid salvation, utter bliss.

"Thats a shame," said Dom, in a little more of a serious tone. It truly was a shame. Why were people discriminated against for something they can't control. In Dom's opinion uniqueness should be honored greatly. Another breeze swept past. Dom nodded, listening intently, he found this subject very interesting. Dom looked up at the clouds. It was something he didn't seem to have time for these days, so he savored the moment. "Thats good," Dom said, glad that he would not have to worry someone being possessed. Dom wondered how she learnt to control it, maybe intensive mind training or something, maybe a potion of some sort. Looking down again, he sighted a large bird soaring through the canyon.

Zazuka smiled blissfully. She was for once at peace with the world and her in her mind. There where no voices, to feelings that made her sort of sick. There was only nature and sky above her. She could tell that Dom was finding all this vastly fascinating but only because he didn't have to live it himself. "There is something about sitting here and looking up that makes on feel at peace. What do you think about nature and the order that it goes in?" She asked looking up at the sky again. She wished, not for the first time, that she could grow wings and fly.

Dom turned his head slightly, and had to re-think the question. It took him little by surprise. "Well, um,"Dom wasn't exactly sure what to say, "I guess. I mean. I love being outside and being with nature. If that's what your asking." He wasn't completely sure whether he answered the question he was asked. Dom looked up at the sky again, it was truly a beautiful day. He suddenly felt the urge to jump on his broomstick and fly around the grounds. "So what do you think about nature and stuff." Dom asked, not sure what to say. Dom could see the sun beginning to set low over the horizon, happy that he would be able to watch the sunset from such a great view.

Zazuka put her hands up and did a full turn after pushing off the stone cliff. "I love to be outside but most of all I love the sky. I've always thought I was meant to be a bird or something with wings." She said laughing a little bit. She didn't know where this joy was coming from but she welcomed it. It was much better than what she had been feeling since she left Bleak Street during brake.

"Yeah I love to fly," Dom said, when I was younger I always wished I could fly, "now.. well... I've learnt about flying brooms." Dom made a mental note to go shopping later and buy his own broom. The sun was now setting lower over the horizon, and the sky was turning a light shad of pink. "Where are you from?" he asked Zazuka suddenly, wondering about her name. Dom always enjoyed talking to people from different countries and cultures, it was definitely great to have such a wide view of the world.

Zazuka started playing with one of her curls absent mindedly. "Your a muggleborn arn't you." She wasn't asking. She could tell because most that where of Wizarding desent didn't make such a big deal about being able to fly on a broom. Zazuka still remembered how badly she had been afraid of flying when she first tried it. "Phisicly I'm from a little down deep in New Zealand called Willow's Rain. My paratage though is from all over the place." She said with a kind smile. "And you? Where do you hail from?" She asked looking at Dom now.

"Yes. I am a muggleborn," Dom confirmed, he chuckled at the thought of how obvious it was."I dunno If you can call me a muggle-born though," he added, thinking, "my granddad was an ancestor of the Gubbi-Gubbi tribe - and aboriginal tribe - they were all wizards. In fact, one of the first wizard communities in Australia. But there hadn't been a wizard in my family for generations. I think I might be a throwback of some old genes or something." Dom finished, a little lost for breath. He wondered if what he had just tried to explain made any sense at all."I'm from Australia," he said, "sunshine coast to be exact. Found a small wizard community nearby just last summer." Dom looked at Zazuka. "But I haven't lived there all my life. Lived on a boat for a little while. Sailed the world," he added, unaware that he was just going on and on.

Zazuka nodded as she listened to what he was saying. "I've always wanted to traval." Zazuka said dreamyly. "Though I do get to more than I used to since I tend to be all over during the holidays, spending my time with one friend or another." She said with the most brillant smile yet. She loved to just talk to people though there where time when her riddleing got the better of her.

Zazuka looked back at Dominic with a tilted head. "Do you really think that there is such a thing as a true muggle born or are muggles just people who's family rejected magic long ago and then get the magic back when fate thinks they are ready?" She asked more in a musing voice.

Zazuka just asked the question that Dom had wondered about ever since he found out that the Gubbi-Gubbi tribe were actually wizards from thousands of years ago. "Well in my case, I have had wizard family, but they all lived around a thousand years ago," Dom answered thoughtfully,"but I'm not really sure about others." He shrugged, feeling the wind pick up over the cliffs. "What do you reckon?" Dom asked, curious to see other people's thoughts on the matter. Looking down the canyon, he wondered. "Zazuka," he started, "is there some sort of spell that can make your float? Or fly? Or hover?" Dom pictured himself jumping over the cliff and falling before quickly casting a spell on himself and floated gently to the top of the cliff. It was just another of his insane ideas.

Dom tingled with excitement, hoping that Zazuka would be able to answer his question. He wondered whether anyone else would also give it a try. "So are you a pure-blood?" Dom asked, happily. Preparations ran through his mind. First, I would have to master the spell and make sure I can perform it well, Dom thought, and then I'll try making myself float, then Ill try jumping and using the spell. Dom was getting carried away, he had to tell himself that it was highly unlikely and very dangerous.

Zazuka listened, the matter of Dom's family line seemed to prove what she had been thinking about. If that where true then it could also be true that every young child knew the secrets of magic but according to how thier bodies worked the magic slipped out. Zazuka's brain started to get way from her so Zazuka forced herself to stop and think of then next question. "Well making to body hover is nearly impossable without a broom but I have been able to do this." She said the pointed her wand at her shoes. She cast the hover charm under her breath. With that her shoes started to hover a few inches off the ground.

"It takes a bit of blance but still if you have the skill." She trailed off. Zazuka had always been good about getting her work in but she always had to keep herself busy or risk her mind coming up with something that was not at all from this world. She thought about the next question for abit before answering it. "I am of mixed blood. For a long while I thought I was muggle born but then I found out that I have close family that has magic too but they are not pure bloods either so mixed." She said with a wide smile. If one tried to trace the magic in her vines it would nearly impossable so she condenced it as much as she could.

Dom jumped up to his feet with excitement. "Woah," he said, impressed and excited. "How did you do that? Could you teach me?" Dom was amazed."Not now of course, but another time? Please?" Dom added. Maybe it is possible, he thought with a wide grin spreading across his face. Zazuka was probably wondering why he would be so excited to just learn this one charm, but he was not about to tell her about the wacky idea running through his head. Her feet were only a few inches of the ground, though. Dom would need to go higher, much higher.

"Is it possible to go higher?" He asked, enthusiastically. Calming himself, he sat back down letting his legs dangle over the edge. Gazing down the crevasse, he pictured himself falling, his excitement just grew even more. "I see," Dom said, now uninterested in whether she was muggle-born or pure blood or anything. He tingled with excitement as he swung his legs.

Zazuka tilted her head as she studied Dom. "I wouldn't know. I haven't expiramented with Hover charms too much." She said as she cast hover charms on the skirt of her dress then made it look like she was sitting down on air. "I can teach you how to do it but I'm surpirsed you don't know. It is a simple hover charm after all." She said thoughtfully. Zazuka crossed her legs in the air as if it where nothing more than something she did most days.

Magic still held wonder for Zazuka but hovering and flight where things that seemed so natural to her that she never thought much about them. Another reason that she thought she had either been decendent from a thing with a wings or she was meant to be one but had been misplaced in a human. "I know my linage if confusing at best, impossible to figure out at worst but that is how most things about me are." She said with a light chuckle in her voice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back