First Years, Lesson Three

Noel had taken some preparations in the classroom for today's lesson. It was neccesary that there was enough room to practice and no one would get hurt. So the desks were removed. And he was sure most of the first years were glad with that. His desk was there still and he sat behind it when the first students arrived in the class. He decided to stay seated but welcomed them with an big smile. He saw some looking where they needed to go. And he smiled shortly. Some sat down on the ground, some stayed waiting while standing up. When the last student arrived he closed the door with an flick of his hand. And than turned his attention to the group. '' Hello everyone.'' He greeted them friendly. '' I've told you to bring along your wands today. You can take them out, but do not cast a spell untill I say so.'' He than said strictly. It was gonna be a fun lesson for sure, but they needed to follow the rules. And looked over to some who he figured he needed to keep an closer eye on. '' The two spells that you'll learn today are critical to self-defence. Duellists often use these two charms given how useful they are. So if you ever think of participating in duelling, it is advised you master both these spells.''

As he walked through the classroom, walking by students he than turned around again. Holding his wand in one of his hands. '' The first we are gonna learn is the shield charm. It casts an invisible protective barrier, or shield, around the caster. It is, therefore, extremely useful for deflecting other spells or even warding off physical attacks.'' Some who did the reading could know this, but it was an very important one to learn. He hoped they didn't have to use it other than in dueling. But the world was unfortunately not always safe. '' The incantation for the Shield Charm is Protego. Repeat after me, please.'' He than waved his wand around in anencouraging motion. He looked satisfied as the class went along. ''Now, this is the most basic form of the Shield Charm. There are more advanced versions, which you will learn as you advance through the course.''

Noel checked if everyone was still there. If they thought they could move their wand now directly that was not how it worked. He needed to explain stuff first, before actually trying it out. ''The second spell that you'll learn today is the Stunning Spell. This is a practical way to disable your opponent briefly. The Stunning Spell is often used to escape a bad situation quickly, though it can also give you a slight advantage in a duel. For this next part, I need a volunteer. I'll be casting the Stunning Spell on you for a demonstration to the rest of the class. '' He smiled reassuringly as some began to worry slightly. Some might find it cool, but some were more comfertable with just looking at their classmate.'' I promise that you won't be stunned long. Everything is perfectly fine. And it comes with extra house points.'' He than looked over to the students and picked one of the few brave students and beckoned them to stand in front of him. ''To the rest of you, watch and listen carefully.'' With one last reassuring smile to the student in front of him, Noel raised his wand and said the incantation out loud. ''Stupefy!''

The volunteer student collapsed to the floor and Noel immediately knelt beside them. He let the other students look at them for a couple of seconds before he quietly performed the Reviving Spell on them to get them back on their feet. He thanked the student and then turned back to the rest of the class. ''I would like all of you to partner up with someone and practice these spells on each other. Remember, the incantation for the Shield Charm is Protego and the incantation for the Stunning Spell is Stupefy. If your partner casts the Stunning Spell, you cast the Shield Charm to block it. Be sure to switch every once in a while so that the other can practice, too.'' Noel was excited to see how many of them would get it right the first time and how many would not. These weren't very difficult spells to master but could take some time to be cast perfectly. ''There will be other opportunities throughout the semester to practise these spells, so don't worry if you cannot get them right away. If your our partner gets struck by the Stunning Spell, please let me know I'll revive them. I shall walk around to help you out in case needed. You may begin!'
'

Roleplay the lesson.

The first student to participate as a volunteer in the demonstration will receive extra house points!

Feel free to tag @Professor Noel Waldgrave if you want me to interact with your character! I will try my best to respond.

After last week's lesson Ambrose could only hope that there wouldn't be as much writing today, but he doubted they would get that lucky. The professor just had a lot to say. He took his seat and was happy to hear they were allowed to take out their wands though. Perhaps they would really be doing something fun this lesson. He made sure to pay attention as professor Waldgrave demonstrated the shield charm. Now this was useful. When the professor asked for a volunteer Ambrose easily raised his hand and made his way up to the front of the class, curious to see what would happen if he got stunned. He glanced at the professor and gave the man a little nod when he smiled at him before suddenly hitting the ground. Well that was.. something. Ambrose grinned when he got up again and got back to his seat after letting the professor know he was absolutely fine. Once seated he turned to one of his classmates to partner up so they could begin practicing the spells they had just learned about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back