First Contact

Naomi Thomas

Naomi paced up and down the path way that led to the owlery debating whether or not to send her letter to her estranged uncle Dean Thomas.

I have to. I have no other choice. He is the only one who understands what I am going through here. she thought to herself.

She took a big breath and began to climb the stairs. Before she reached the top she reached into her pocket and took out the piece of butterfly stationary on which her letter was written. She read it over with great care.
Dear Dean Thomas,

Hi. This is Naomi Thomas, our niece.  I know we have not met and are practically strangers, but I just wanted to let you know I am very interested in talking with you.

You probably don't know this, but earlier this year I was accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardary in New Zealand. Needless to say this was a shock to all of my family especially my father.  Although I knew I had an uncle, my father rarley spoke of you and it wasn't until he discovered my "gift" that he told me that you have it too. 

I also discovered the truth about my grandfather through a book in our school library. I know this letter is probably really long and doesn't make any sense but I just wanted to contact you and let you know what I was feeling.

Thanks of your time,
Naomi Thomas

P.S. I have friend here named Caysi Finnigan and she told me that you and her father are friends. I also believe he is sending you a letter.  Perhaps we could all meet up sometime.

Naomi folded the letter back up and walked into the owlery. Harper was the only owl awake and he hopped from his perch to recieve the letter. Naomi tied the letter to Harper's leg with a purple ribbon and sent him on his way.

Naomi watched the owl fly out over the grounds of the school.

Naomi was doing her best to avoid the Owlery. She did want to know whether or not her unlce had responded to her letter. So ok...she really did want to know if her uncle responded to letter but she was way to nervous to admit it to herself.

She took a deep breath and walked in.

Harper flew down to her a once with a letter in his beak.
"Thanks" Naomi mumbled.

Naomi unfolded the letter and began to read:
Dean Naomi,

It is so great to hear from you and to hear that I am not the only magical one in the family.  I hope you are doing very well in your studies at Hogwarts New Zealand and I hope you are learning about all the wonders the magical world has in store for you.

I am sorry that you were the first one to reach out and start this conversation.  I should have began it years ago.  However, I can already tell that you are a girl of strong character and courage.  I just want you to know that I am very proud of you and I am here for you (even if you are a Hufflepuff  :p ).

Your Uncle
With Love,
Dean Thomas

P.S. I would love to meet with you sometime! Just let me know what works for you.

Near the top of the page was a rather good drawing of a girl on a broom. It had been enchanted to fly about the page and stop near the end of the letter. Right by her uncle signature was a drawing of a man. He was waving and smiling up at her. She looked alittle closer at the picture. The drawings eyes looked exactly like hers.

Naomi folded the letter up and smiled. A single tear welled up in her eye.

Caysi walked up the owlery stairs yawning because she had just woken up from her nap and saw Naomi and she came closer and said " Hey Naomi..what's up?". she said smiling.

Naomi looked up a smiled at Caysi. She was very happy to see her.
"Hey! I was just on my way back to the dorm." she said sincerely.

Caysi yawned and nodded and said " I just came back from there". she said tired. " Ooohh..what's that Naomi?". she said interested.

"Oh...its a letter from my uncle. I finally found the courage to write him and wrote me back." Naomi said happily as she handed the letter over for Caysi to read.

Caysi read it over and said " Cool..then maybe if he wants to meet with you...my dad can surprise him by going!".she smiled.

"That sounds like a plan" Naomi said her smile growing iwth ever second. "What day would be good for you dad?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back