Alternate RP Finding Home

This is a roleplay outside of the site's canon.

Kiasora Cantore

Unafraid- Small Child- Lonely- Amoral- Italian

OOC First Name
Jess S
Blood Status
Pure Blood
Relationship Status
Seeing Somebody
Wand
Straight 9 Inch Whippy Elm Wand with Meteorite Dust Core
Kia should have seen this coming. Really, she should have. At the beginning of the break, she'd cut contact with the Wighams. She'd had no choice, she had to. She was getting too attached, and she knew she just couldn't let herself keep caring. She'd not returned, or even opened, any of Zeldas letters over the last semester. Trying to make it easier. But that hadn't done her any good, saying goodbye to the Wighams had still been the hardest thing she'd ever done.

She couldn't believe she was going back now. But honestly, Kia didn't know where else to go. She'd been kicked out of the orphanage almost as soon as she'd returned, barely having time to grab what little she'd left in her room there. She'd wondered around for about a week, spending a few days with Leia, but knowing she couldn't very well stay there. It was early morning, maybe three a.m., and Kia wasn't sure where else to go.

She stood on the back step, hesitating a moment, before very gently reaching out and knocking as quietly as she could on the door. Tap. Tap. Tap.

[a million apologies for missing this thread!!]

Zelda hadn't been sleeping well since Kia had left. She wanted to chalk it up to some latent seer power giving her sour dreams but even Zelda had to admit it was just old fashion mundane concern that had her fretting. She understood the need for independence, she and Waldo could come on a little strong at times with their concern, but she wished the girl would at least write so Zelda knew she was okay. It wasn't like she had anyone she could ask about her, something that made Zelda's heart ache all the more.

In the end, it was one of the dogs that woke her up this time, a quiet yet insistent bark that finally roused Zelda from an uneasy dream she was already forgetting as she shuffled into a nightgown. "Okay, okay, I hear you I'm getting up. Why you can't hold it for a few more hours is beyond me you ratbag," Zelda murmured, heading to back door in the kitchen and opening the door. The dog shot out of the door immediately, greeting the figure standing there with an excited wag of his cropped tail

"Oh!" Zelda said muzzily, sleep tired brain taking a moment to piece together what exactly she was seeing before snapping into action. "What on Earth are you doing out this late, come inside, sit down, is everything alright?" she said, tucking a stray red curl into the scarf she wore over her hair to sleep at night and ushering Kia in from the back porch. Her heart was soaring just seeing her and knowing she was alright but it was taking everything she had in her not to immediately bombard Kia with questions about where she'd been and whatever was wrong for her to show up unannounced so late.

Kia had just about convinced herself to leave- to forget this place completely and just walk away- when the door opened. Kia tensed, her heart leaping into her throat, even though the feeling of Roscoe jumping at her legs was so warm and familiar. She stammered lightly, swallowing hard and letting Zelda usher her inside. She took her seat at the kitchen table, still unable to really look at Zelda, twisting her hands nervously in her lap.

"I-" She stammered, letting out a ragged sigh and trying hard not to cry. "I had to leave," She managed, shutting her eyes and forcing herself to talk, though even she could hear the raw vulnerability in her voice. "I couldn't- I couldn't stay." She bit her lip, wringing her hands as she slouched in the chair, curled in on herself. "I've never... belonged anywhere." She spoke, her voice soft and shaky. "I wanted- I was- I couldn't-"

She struggled, sighing roughly and tangling her hands in her hair. "The orphanage threw me out." She whispered brokenly. "I- I stayed with a friend for a few days, but- I- I had nowhere to-" She shook her head, standing quickly. She was too on edge, too tense, too scared. "This was a bad idea, I- I'll just go," She whispered, still unable to meet Zelda's gaze. She tried to rush for the back door, needing to escape before she broke down and started crying.

Zelda watched with concerned eyes as Kia stammered her way inside, more concerned by the sudden show of vulnerability from the girl than the late hour. She was so used to having to wheedle every emotional response out of Kia with several long conversations and plenty of plying with biscuits and tea, to see her so obviously on the edge of something was enough to catch Zelda off guard as she struggled to piece together what Kia was telling her as they settled at the table, her hand only straying to her wand for a moment to set the water boiling.

Kia, sweetheart, what-“ Zelda started, her own sentence cutting off when Kia finally mentioned the orphanage. Her heart stung at the realization; how alone and scared Kia must have been, and the ache that she must think she couldn’t come here. “Wait,” She started, voice quiet but firm as she got up to follow Kia as she made a rush for the door, fingers gently snagging at Kia’s sleeve. “You know our door’s always open, Kia,” she said, hesitating for a moment before brushing a piece of Kia’s hair back into place with a soft smile. “There’ll always be a space for you if you want to take it, darling. If you need to go now, I understand, though I will worry terribly so you’d have better write as soon as you can but. If you have the time for some tea and to get a bit of shut eye before you head off.” Zelda stepped back, waving a hand back towards the room in a silent invitation.

Kia swallowed hard as the woman stopped her. She had no control left. She managed to keep on her feet, at least, but she had to bite down on her hand, gasping for breath as her shoulders shook. "Go?" She whispered, trying to keep some semblance of control. "There's nowhere to go," She took a deep, shuddering breath. "Why do you even care?" She wrapped her arms tightly around herself. "I'm no one. I'm nothing to you." She sighed, taking deep breaths to try and calm herself down.

Zelda's heart ached to look at Kia, wanting nothing more than to wrap her arms around her with the way Kia seemed to be holding herself as if her own arms where the only thing holding her together. But Kia was so easy to spook sometimes and Zelda hesitated long enough to hear Kia speak, shaking her head in sympathy at what the girl was saying. "Well, then stay here," she said softly, finally reaching out a tentative hand to rest it gently on Kia's shoulder. "You are everything you need to be to, a clever, headstrong girl, intent on making her own way. Someone I enjoy having around the house. You're the dog's favourite snugglebuddy. You don't have to be any more than that, Kia," Zelda said gently, shifting to try and catch's Kia's eye. "Please, come inside, it's okay to stop running for awhile, honey. You're safe here, for as long as you like."

Zelda had always been unreasonably kind to Kia. It had always disarmed her, caught her off guard. She'd tried to hide from it, tried to ignore it and pretend it didn't affect her. But Kia had been starving for the sort of warmth and affection that Zelda gave her so freely. Kia knew she had trust issues, really, but she'd never bothered to correct it. Why should she? She could only trust herself, after all.

But as Zelda placed a hand on her shoulder, encouraged her and promised her she was safe. A single tear slipped out, and Kia took a deep, shuddering breath. She'd meant to take a breath and calm down, but that single tear seemed to have been the tipping point. She crumbled, sobbing pitifully and falling against Zelda. Kia had never known an adult in her life that she'd felt safe with, but this... this wild, fiery woman had latched onto her and not let go. Kia hated to admit it, but Zelda was the closest thing to a mother she'd ever had. She still felt weary of Waldo, not wanting to bother him or get in his way, but in that moment in all her sheer vulnerability she couldn't help but wonder if maybe- just maybe- someday they might share that same bond, too.

Kia clung to Zelda, crying into shoulder and clutching tightly at the fabric of the womans nightgown. "I'm scared," She finally whispered. "I don't want you to let me go and it scares me so much," She whispered brokenly. She was trembling, and she felt so very, very small, and she worried that if she let go of Zelda she'd crumble into nothing.

As a rule, Zelda generally avoided making promises she couldn’t keep, but with Kia clinging to her so tightly, she didn’t hesitate to make one now, even aware that things like this were not always within her control. “You’ll aways have a place here, as long as I’ve got anything to say about it you’ll be safe and wanted, I promise,” she said softly into the crown of Kia’s head where she’d tucked her under her chin. “You don’t have to let go, sweetheart, but maybe we could go inside,” she added after a few moments of simply holding Kia, hoping the shaking would subside before gently trying to shuffle them awkwardly indoors. “We can have that cup of tea,” she said warmly, content now to stay up until the sun came up if that was what Kia wanted. Zelda knew she couldn’t save every poor kid like they had with Ernie, but she could help Kia, and that would be more than enough.

Kia nodded, keeping her eyes on the ground. "Okay," She whispered, letting go and trying to pull back, both physically and emotionally. She sat down in the kitchen, just folding her hands tightly in her lap, staring at them. She wasn't good with anything emotional. She didn't know what to say, or how to act, so she just sat there, frozen. She couldn't run away again, but she couldn't look up at Zelda, either. She bit her lip, unmoving otherwise and incredibly tense.

With Kia sitting across from her like that, Zelda couldn't help but be reminded of when she'd first caught her shoplifting those years ago, though the hard, outer shell that Kia had projected that day was undeniably cracked now and Zelda could see all the rough edges she was trying so hard to hide. Taking a moment to lightly brush a hand over Kia's head, Zelda set about putting the kettle on, shuffling around the dogs, a few more of whom had woken up and were watching her hopefully for any dropped crumbs. "You want to get some treats for the dogs? You know where they are," she offered over her shoulder, busying herself with levitating the good biscuit tin down from the upper shelf where she tried to hide them from Waldo. This was definitely an occassion that served for a few treats and good biscuits. She didn't know if Kia still needed to talk, but Zelda would happily sit quietly with her in these early hours for as long as she needed.

Kia just sat there, numbly, trying to pull herself together. She leant more into Zelda's hand on her hair, her eyes shutting. She whined gently when the woman pulled away, missing the touch. She swallowed hard, trying to ignore it. She moved obediently as Zelda asked her to do something, blindly getting the dogs their treats before taking her seat again. "Just... just for a few days," She finally managed. "A few days then I'll be gone."

Zelda's heart twisted at the sound Kia made as she stroked her hair. Maybe she'd misjudged not just wrapping Kia in her arms and never letting go. The temptation to do just that was hard to ignore, but Zelda at least let Kia give the dogs a little treat, watching as they swarmed at her feet, hoping their affection would cheer her up a little and ease the shell shocked look on the girl's face. "Kia, sweetheart, you can stay as long or as little as you want. In fact, Waldo's been so busy lately you'd really be doing me a favour if you stayed longer, what with Ernie working all the time as well it gets pretty lonely for me and the poor dogs out here," she said, reaching out and holding her palm up and open across the table in front of Kia. "I meant what I said before, darling. You're wanted here, now and always."

Kia found herself overwhelmed with how much kindness Zelda was showing her. It was hard for her to comprehend being wanted anywhere. Kia stood up quickly, hands held tightly in front of her. "This was a mistake, I have to go," She managed a choked response and hurried for the door. She had to get out, now, or she would break down completely and never want to leave again. The mere thought of it terrified her; she couldn't stay, not even for a night. She was seconds away from breaking down, and if Zelda touched her again it would all be over. Kia managed to make it to the door, putting a shaking hand on the door handle.

Zelda sighed a broken sigh as Kia made a break for the door again, half out of her chair herself. "Kia, please wait, don't go," she said softly, eyes wet as she slowly made her way around the table, like approaching a spooked animal. "I won't make you stay if you really want to go but... Please. I would really like if you stayed," she said, gently reaching to take Kia's hand in hers. She knew Kia had been through a lot and she was being selfish here, but she wanted nothing more than to wrap her up somewhere safe and try to make it all better even if a more rational voice reminded her that Kia was technically an adult and maybe didn't need her smothering her. But the louder voice, the one that made her squeeze Kia's hand a little tighter before opening her arms invitingly, said that it didn't matter, they'd adopted Ernie as an adult too after all. No matter how old you were, it always mattered to know you had someone in your corner, somewhere to go, and she desperately hoped Kia knew she had that there too.

Kia tensed as Zelda spoke, shutting her eyes. She was trembling, but didn't turn. "I'm scared," She finally admitted. "I haven't- no one has ever-" She took a deep breath, fighting the tears. "I have been alone all my life- no one ever stays- not ever. I am unwanted, I have no home, nowhere I belong, I-" She swallowed hard, before giving in and turning, stepping into and leaning into Zelda's embrace, her own arms looping gently around her waist. "I don't know what love is." She admitted gently. "I've never known how to react to you," She held on tightly. "You got under my skin and I don't know what to do- it's why I left."

Zelda gave Kia a watery smile, finally giving in a rest her hands on Kia's shoulders. "It's okay to be scary, being loved is scary, sweetheart, but it's okay," she said softly, rubbing her thumbs over Kia's shoulders gently. If she could have it her way, Zelda would grab ahold of the girl and never let her go. "I'm sorry you had to grow up like that, but it's not true anymore, I promise. You're wanted here, and you're loved. Nothing you do will change that," she told her, hoping Kia could hear the conviction in her voice. "You can leave as many times as you want for any reason, just know you can always, always come back here. We'll be here for you," Zelda said softly, hoping Kia would believe her and maybe this time choose to stay.

Kia hummed softly, leaning more into Zelda. She couldn't help it, she felt herself relaxing. "I don't want to go," She admitted gently, clutching tightly at the fabric of Zelda's clothes. "I just... get scared." She buried herself against Zelda. "I don't know what to do," She let out a shaky sigh. "Just... tell me what to do?" She pleaded gently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back