Blood Status
Half Blood
Relationship Status
Married
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Curly 9" Flexible Maple Wand with Phoenix Tail Feather Core
Lydia was glad to finally be back at school, and she was really hoping to put all the issues from the end of last year behind her, she was busy with her beginning OWL preparation but more than that the fifth year hufflepuff was just keeping busy to keep her mind off her father, felix and everything that had gone wrong at the end of the last year. She had a schedule now, one that she stuck to religiously, one that would only change to allow classes and every single moment of that was filled, with her looking to do even more. Whether it be helping in the library, quidditch, wild patch or the heta omega, Lydia was filling her hours with whatever she could. So unsurprisingly when the beginning of term hit the girl was in the library with a large pile of books beside her and a special library issued eraser, taking out all the scribbles students had left on the pages, it was slow work, it wasn't fun, but it was better than being left to her thoughts, if she didn’t concentrate then she wouldn’t get it done.

Of course there was no rush on it, but Lydia had already worked through half the books that Stefan had given her, she had powered through them in absolutely no time at all, and was feeling increasingly good about all that she was doing. The teen had planned to do this until it was time for dinner and from the books she had piled she feared it wouldn't last her until then, Lydia felt more than confident that she could do it, and felt more than happy trying her best to do it in that time frame and if it didn't last her then she could find more to do, and if she went over with this set of books she would stay until she was done. It was all about taking her mind off everything outside of just school and school work, which Lydia absolutely knew she would be able to do if she just stuck to her schedule, everything was fine with her, and everything would remain fine if she did.

After his detention with the Headmistress, Gabriel had good grounds on which to fear his own expulsion. He didn't particularly favour Hogwarts over his home, but the company at the former was ever so slightly preferable, and thus he knew it wise not to get himself kicked out prematurely. The Slytherin wasn't certain what had possessed him to write such cruel letters to Professor King, but despite himself, he couldn't bring himself to feel guilty. Perhaps he had been a little rash. Maybe Ava had not been the correct person to release his anger on. But guilt? No; whether or not he'd directed his frustration at the right target, they'd had it a long time coming. Ava hadn't wolf whistled at his best friend, or proceeded to stick up for the idiot, but she'd had her own part in his misery. She hadn't even asked him for his side of the story. As if anyone cared.

How Gabriel ended up in the library was a mystery; he had zero intentions of studying, nor was he inclined to befriend anybody whose main purpose in life was to stick their nose in as wide a variety of books as possible. But this was where his feet had led him, and thinking that the room might provide him with somewhere to hide (who knew what Ava would do when she caught up with him), he went into the heart of the room and down one of the aisles to sit. He didn't plan on making conversation with the girl who happened to be sat across the table, but when he saw what she was doing, he couldn't help himself. "Need a hand?" he asked, a hint of a smile on his lips, as though he had come from a casual stroll through the castle and not from having unleashed an unjustified wrath on the poor Headmistress.

Lydia continued to work through what she was doing, it was easily to just get lost in the world of it, it was just repetitive and boring but it suited what she needed, it filled hours of her time, and really that was what Lydia wanted, she didn't want to think about Felix, and she definitely didn't want to think about her dad, because everything was fine, she just needed things to do, and keep her mind focused on the future, not on the past which was very much last year. She was a fifth year now, a prefect too in fact and she was just glad to have things to fill her hours with so many great things, her duties would keep her busy, it was all just shaping up so well that she wouldn't even have to think about most things they were just going to happen, exactly the way she wanted them to. Everything was fine, but she knew that filling her hours in the school would just benefit her and her academia, she'd get better at quidditch, at tidying up in the library and being a model student, it would be good, she was fine.

The teen looked up when she heard a boy speaking, and met the gaze of someone she vaguely knew from her classes, he was a slytherin as far as she knew, new too, and hung out with the other slytherins in her year, and while Lydia had no issues with Slytherins, she hadn't really gone out of her way to make friends with any of them. The hufflepuff prefect smiled in her usually friendly and kind manner, a warmth to her face, a trait she'd gotten from her mother, "I'd always appreciate the help," she told him look between him and the pile of books beside her, "But honestly, this is such a monotonous task, and I appreciate the offer, but I won't take you up on it," she didn't want this guy doing some dull task she was doing to fill hours, it was a sure way for him to get bored and likely annoyed at her, and he was likely only being polite so he didn't think it would be good of her to take him upon it because of just the size of the task. She had volunteered to do this, and was happy to, this guy was likely just trying to be polite and likely didn't actually want to help in the slightest.

Gabriel's hand was already half way to the book pile when the girl tried to stop him. He laughed, reaching out anyway and taking a spare eraser to get to work. Why did girls always think in such a complicated way? He wouldn't have offered his help if he hadn't intended on following through. Besides, a monotonous job was a welcome distraction from the other sh*t going on in his life - especially if he was doing it for someone so attractive. If there was one kind of favour Gabriel wouldn't protest doing, it was one for a pretty girl. "Don't be silly," he said, smiling as he erased some stubborn scribbles. "You'll get it done in half the time if I help."

As he worked, Gabriel kept an open eye and ear for any signs that the Headmistress had entered the library - or worse, Kalif. Not many people scared the fifth year - he was used to the presence of intimidating people - but Professor Styx was a definite exception to this. Then again, who didn't find him at least a little scary? That man was built like an icy dragon. "So," Gabriel said, looking up, "What's a lovely lady as yourself doing alone in the library? Surely your boyfriend should be here helping you." Gabriel grinned, this blatant enquiry as to whether or not she was single not intended to be discreet.

Lydia was surprised to say the least when his offer to help her hadn't just been an act of good intentions but that he actually wanted to help her, she smiled easily as he took one of books from the pile and seemed to get started, her expression sitting between surprise and gratefulness. It was true that it would get it done in half the time, but she wouldn't have minded taking the full time, anything to take her mind off things, she was looking to fill all of her hours, and she was looking to not have a moment left with her own thoughts, everything was fine but she didn't want to be alone in her thoughts which she believed fair. Perhaps however if she did manage to do so with his help he would keep her busy until she could go eat move on to the next task that she had so in the end she found herself grateful for his help.

Lydia kept working not sure to make conversation with him until he spoke and she glanced back up at him, the sentences itself sound nice and she could help the light blush that spread across her cheeks. Before it quickly vanished, "oh no, I haven't got a boyfriend, my cousin is the librarian so I like helping him out," her mind briefly cast to him and she shook the thought from her head, glancing back down at the book before meeting his gaze again, "I'm Lydia," she held out her hand to him to shake, "We're in the same year" she told him just on the off chance he didn't know. Lydia had obviously seen him about the place he hung out with people that she didn't know and so they had never properly met until this moment.

Accustomed to attempting to flirt with Saveli, Gabriel was inwardly bracing himself to be reprimanded when, to his pleasant surprise, Lydia took the compliment with a blush. Personally, the Slytherin didn't understand why such a big deal was made of talking to girls. They were easily pleased: a compliment and a favour went further than was commonly acknowledged amongst boys of Gabriel's age. He had learned by the age of ten that it was a gentlemanly way - at first, anyway - that won the hearts of anyone whose heart was worth winning. And if it failed, what was the worst that could result of it? A bruised ego? At the very least, he might have made a new friend; and those were scarce and hard to come across.

Taking Lydia's hand firmly, Gabriel smiled, revealing a glint of white teeth. "I think I've seen you in class. I'm Gabriel," he said, withdrawing his hand and glancing over his shoulder at the librarian. Hopefully he hadn't heard too much about Gabriel. As he looked back, he said, "It must be nice having family around the castle. Do you spend much time together?" There lurked beneath this innocent question a more sinister intention, though nothing from the pleasant and curious expression on his face would have given this away.

Lydia was easily pleased, she had a naturally friendly and warm nature and despite all the time with Felix in the last year she had never quite grown accustom to the compliments but that was true of most compliments thrown her way, unwarranted advances she's been advised against, but there seemed to be nothing odd about this boy, he seemed lovely, nice and friendly, and she she much appreciated that the offer to help hadn't been an empty gesture though she was doing it to fill hours, talking with someone always made the time go faster and she smiled at him. She could use a distraction who was not perhaps like anyone who had ever crossed her path before and she just smiled at him, everything in Lydia's life was fine but this boy and his company was a welcome distraction from everything else. Everything was fine. The prefect shook Gabriel's hand lightly in hers and gave him a friendly smile, he was a new student she was sure, but then again, Lydia didn't hang out with most of the slytherins, she had no issue with any of them, but she just hadn't made too many friends at school and much less with the slytherins.

At his statement Lydia smiled and nodded, she had been always grateful for the company of Stefan at the school, as well as her other cousin Ailsa, Lydia wasn't devoid of people she could turn to if she needed help or just someone to talk to, and she was grateful for it, realising in that moment that she was more grateful for it now than ever, in case she needed to talk to someone about everything, not that anything was wrong but it would be good to talk to someone about things. So at his question she nodded, "Twice a week generally, some times more, we generally eat lunch together," the girl told him with a smile, "He's more like a brother than a cousin," she mused out loud, before shaking her head lightly and just smiling in a friendly and warm manner at Gabriel, "What about you? Any family in the school?" she returned the question, feeling that was the polite thing to do, "Actually, can I get you a tea or something?" the girl blurted out a little suddenly before turning a little red in the cheeks, "It's just that you're helping me the least I can do is offer a drink and some biscuits," she then added a little shyly brushing a strand of hair from her face as she spoke.

Though disappointed to hear that Lydia spent a good portion of time each week with her family, Gabriel smiled as if pleased by her response. Her well-adjustedness and close support system was inconvenient, to say the least. He looked a little pained when she returned the question. "No; I'm an only child, and my father lives by himself in England. We don't know where my mother is. Left me on his doorstep when I was born," he told her, the tone of the conversation taking a dramatic nose-dive. His motivation for this confession was not sympathy. But he wouldn't have minded some.

The offer of tea made for a welcome distraction. "I'd love some tea," Gabriel said, smiling warmly at the Hufflepuff to assure her she needn't be shy. "Thank you." He thought it sweet that she felt the need to offer him something in return for his help - as if her company by itself was not sufficient thanks. Was she not aware of her physical and internal beauty? Gabriel was honoured to spend time in her presence. Perhaps he could deal with cousin-the-librarian after all, if only he played his cards correctly. "I'll carry on with this, shall I?" he suggested with an obliging smile.

Lydia noticed the smile on Gabriel's face as she spoke of her family and then immediately even venturing into it as he then explained his own family, she had always considered her family exceedingly open and welcoming and could not in her mind ever compute the idea that her mother could've left her on a doorstep, or that anyone in her family could, of course Stefan's family had been less than perfect and she hated that, so she couldn't help but feel bad for him, she just gave him a sympathetic smile, "Oh I'm sorry," she told him, with sincerity in her voice, but she didn't know what else to say about it, and was glad for the distraction with the tea, and she nodded at him before getting up, "Of course," Lydia pushed her chair in as she looked at him, and then smiled, "Sure," she told him with a nod, but there was hint in her tone that said that if he didn't then she wouldn't much mind that, which of course she wouldn't since it was just erasing stuff from library books and that was fine, Lydia knew that if it took longer than normal it would be fine.

The teen returned a few moments later with the tea and a plate of biscuits floating behind her and she eased them down on the to the table next to the boy, "We are unfortunately out of sugar," she apologised with a little smile, hoping he wouldn't mind that too much, she sat herself back down, "You transferred in right?" the girl as him, knowing that he hadn't been sorted with them back when they had originally been sorted in first year, and she hoped the question wouldn't bother him too much, "How are you enjoying the school?" she asked in a conversational tone, clearing wanting to get to know this boy who was helping her a little better, they were in the same year and conversation would be a good distraction she figured, everything was fine, but a distraction was always nice. Lydia hoped that the questions wouldn't bother him too much, she didn't know much about him, and she didn't know much about slytherins so she didn't want to accidentally insult him, though she was sure her conversational and friendly questions would do anything but.

Nearly the moment Lydia had disappeared out of sight, Gabriel spun the book she had been working on around and began to flip through the few pages that remained unerased. He didn't know what he was looking for - study notes were hardly of an interest to him - but he felt strangely compelled to read through the scribbled margins anyway. Perhaps he would learn something of his new friend. The hasty workings of her mind. Some deep-kept secret, hidden in a textbook as to keep it from the prying eyes of the uninformed. As it was, there were only study notes, none of which particularly enlightening or useful for his intended purpose.

Gabriel replaced the book mere seconds before Lydia returned, bearing tea and biscuits. His smile was perfectly innocent; this was not the first time today he had intruded on someone's privacy and them promptly composed himself. "That's all right; I don't take it, anyway," he lied, pulling his tea towards him on the table. "Thanks." The Slytherin took a sip before picking his eraser back up and getting back to work, for the moment ignoring the biscuits in favour of talking. Lydia's next comment took him quite by surprise. It was unusual for anybody to take a close interest of Gabriel's life by their own accord, and though the Hufflepuff was likely only asking as a matter of courtesy, he was warmed by the gesture. "Yes, last year," he said, looking up. It's... well, it's school. I've never been much of an academic achiever. The people are friendly, though. And the country's nice." There wasn't much else to say on the matter, so Gabriel countered the question. "What about you? Have you always come here?"

Lydia couldn't help but be pleased that he said he didn't take any sugar, she would've gone to the kitchens to get what she needed but she was happy that he didn't need any and she was instead able to just sit herself back down and focus on the work that she'd been doing, erasing the markings in the books and making light conversation with Gabriel which she was sure was the best use of her time, after all keeping the conversation on him, and on light things made sure that she didn't need to think about anything else, and this boy who barely knew her wouldn't ask any questions that she wouldn't be able to easily pass over. The hufflepuff prefect was hardly surprised when the boy did confirm that he was one of the transfers and that it had just been a year of him at the school. She knew this was right, or her mind could definitely agree to the correctness of his statement since prior to that, she didn't have any memories of his boy not evening from classes, even if she didn't remember everyone, they would've shared classes together and she'd know who he was at the very least.

"The country is nice," she agreed, though New Zealand was the only country that she had ever known really, she had not been from this place originally, she didn't particularly understand why her and her family had moved to New Zealand, having been so young at the time but she was happy they had, "I've always come to Hogwarts, it's a good school. I'd like to think I'm academic achiever, but I get bored with theory," she admitted to him smiling easily as she spoke, "I play quidditch, that's so much more fun," Lydia then added as she continued to erase the markings from the book she had in front of her, "Were you homeschooled prior to Hogwarts?" the teen asked with a friendly smile, "Or did you go to one of the other schools?"

Quidditch wasn't Gabriel's thing, though he supposed he could see the fascination. Who wouldn't want to ride around on death sticks dodging rock hard balls, after all? The Slytherin was quite surprised to hear Lydia's enthusiasm for the sport, and he bit his tongue to refrain from commenting. That wouldn't do. She might take a bludger to the face, or something, and then what would she have left? Gabriel smiled, closing the book he'd finished and beginning a second. "I went to Hogwarts Scotland," he told her, smiling softly. "But, uh, let's just say the professors and I had a slight clash in personality." Gabriel laughed gently, brushing some erasings from the page. Returning to the previous subject, he added, "What position do you play?"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back