</COLOR></SIZE></COLOR>
The Basics
<i>
</i>
Character's Name: Emer Kleah Laude
Character's Birthdate: 10 September, 1984
Hometown: Dunedin, New Zealand
Blood Status: Muggleborn
Wand: 9 1/5" Ngaio wand with core of Huia tail-feather.
Emer made her wand herself. She is self-taught in the field of wand-lore but wants to know more. She prefers a small wand, as it's easier to carry around and harder to break.
Ngaio (rhymes with 'bio;' Myoporum Laetum, also known as a Mousehole tree) is a native New Zealand tree that can grow up to 10m in height. The bark is brown and furrowed. It grows well in coastal areas of New Zealand and towards lowland forests. ((Thank you, Wikipedia)) In Maori legend, Rona grabbed hold of a Ngaio tree when the moon pulled her into the sky for abusing the moon goddess, and now you can see Rona and a Ngaio tree on the face of the moon. Ngaio's magical properties include healing and protection as well as regeneration. If used in duel it causes spells to be particularly harsh. Its magic is heightened when used in the light of the moon. Emer's best friend from childhood was named Ngaio, which was one of the reasons for choosing that wood.
The Huia (Heteralocha acutirostris) was a native New Zealand bird that became extinct in the early 20th Century. It was a mostly black (with a greenish tinge) bird with white tips on its tail feathers and orange wattles. ((Again, thank you Wikipedia)) It enhances concealment spells and is associated with esoterics. With some wand owners, it can instill an uncharacteristic boldness. It is also associated with death.
Educated At: Musselburgh Primary School, Dunedin; Tahuna IntermediateSchool, Dunedin; Bayfield High School, Dunedin; Gymnasium Dorfen, Germany; University of Otago, Dunedin 2007; Oulun Yliopisto, Finland; Self-taught in witchcraft and wizardry.
Shop Owned: Natural Magic
Natural Magic is an environmentally-friendly focussed gift store. Products include all organic soaps with unique scents such as Fish'n'Chips, FreshCutGrass, FireworksGunPowder, NewBook, ButteredPopcorn and so on; a small range of clothing made from organic and recycled materials with moving images; Magical Rubik's Boxes, made from recycled plastics that can be used to hide personal treasures and become loyal to their first solver; and naturally produced balms and oils that provide various results such as jelly-legs, high-energy, enhanced-hearing, skin-tone-change and super-stickiness.

<COLOR color="darkgoldenrod">Appearance
cameron-diaz.jpg
<i>
</i>
Hair: Straight and blonde, Emer's hair reaches to between her shoulder blades.
Eyes: Blue-grey
Height: 165 cm/5'5"
Style: Hippie-ish but practical, Emer chooses carefully when making purchases. She prefers to support local businesses that have a low impact on the environment. She loves natural things, but is also a mother of five, so she tries to keep things practical, especially as she spends so much time in the outdoors, camping and tramping and the like.
Other Distinguishing Features: Emer has a small birthmark in the shape of a kiwi on the back of her right arm and a small tattoo of a "potato monster" (secret joke between her and her late husband) on the front of her left thigh.

A Little Deeper
<i>
</i>
Personality: Emer is a thinker, a dreamer, a writer, a romantic and above all a mother. She loves her family, writing, being outdoors, ice cream, the beach, magic, animals, and everyone around her. She considers herself a greenie and serves on a number of committees to do with the environment. She is also a Brownie leader and miniball coach. So you can see, she's heavily involved in her community.
Special Talents/Abilities: Emer would like to train to be an animagus, but is not entirely sure how to go about it.
History: Born in Dunedin's St Mary's Maternity Hospital on the 10th of September, 1984, Emer was the second child and first daughter of Lynne and Rosco Laude, both muggles.
<i>
</i>
Her early years were typical of a girl in the middle between two boys except for the fact that sometimes things seemed to go her way when they really shouldn't have! She was rather shy and introspective even as a young child. At the age of seven, she hit a tomboy stage and pretty much stayed in it until her late teens. She idolised her older brother, Jamie, even though he wasn't particularly good at playing the big brother role, and tried to be like him. This led to a lot of frustration and insecurities, as Jamie was a natural sportsman, while Emer was more of an intellectual. She excelled at school, learning to read at the age of 3 and constantly being put in advanced classes. She generally liked school, but was nearly always insecure and had trouble making friends outside her own small group. When she was in her senior years of high school, however, the constant lack of being pushed hard enough finally made their effects known and Emer lost her motivation. She suffered depression and attempted suicide as she felt so lonely, out of place and worthless. The thing that held her back in the world of the living was the desire to make a positive change, and the niggling feeling that no-one would actually care if she died, so killing herself wouldn't change any of the attitudes she hated so much. But I'm getting ahead of myself.
In August of 1995, a month before her eleventh birthday, Emer received a strange letter inviting her to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in the UK. This sounded like a wonderful adventure to Emer, but she was scared to tell her parents, so kept it a secret and declined the invitation. However, she kept in regular contact with a staff member at the school, one Minerva McGonagall, who arranged a few pen-pals for her from the school, and sent books from the school library every now and then. She was effectively self-educated.
Emer's love of travel began with her first overseas trip at the age of 16 when, after saving for a year, she managed to send herself on a student exchange programme to Germany. This was life changing, as it turned out she had (by chance!) been placed with a wizarding host family who sent their kids to muggle school and taught them magic at home. They taught her a great deal and even arranged a trip to Durmstrang for her. She was still very shy at this stage though, and didn't manage to make as much as she could have from the experience. Nevertheless, she had the time of her life.
She finished (New Zealand students do not graduate) high school at the end of 2002 and spent the summer working and saving for university. The following year she enrolled at the University of Otago, intending to major in German. Five years, a $35,000 debt, a year in Europe and a lot of fun and stress later (and having gotten over her shyness), she graduated from university (the first in her family to do so) with a BA in Theatre Studies, a minor in Marketing and a DipGrad endorsed in Religious Studies. She'd met her future husband in her first year of university, they began dating in their second year and they were engaged in 2007.
In 2008, they travelled around the South Island until they ran out of money then moved to South Korea to teach English. After a year there, they returned to New Zealand to marry (what a party!) and immediately set out for Europe to teach and travel. Emer discovered she was 6 months pregnant soon after they arrived (and cursed herself for not having noticed before), and their first daughter was born in Spain on Jan 6 2010. Determined to continue travelling, they gained their Celta qualifications and headed for South America, Rosiee in tow. When she was a year old, Emer became pregnant again, this time with twins. By the time they thought about moving back to New Zealand, Emer was too pregnant to fly, so the boys, Ksaafa and Cale, were born in Chile.
The young family then moved back to New Zealand in time for Christmas 2011. They spent a few months with their families in Dunedin before realising they needed to get away from them and moved north to Wellington. Tristham got a job as a lighting technician with a local company and Emer worked part time at the Victoria University Library. Tristh worked nights and Emer days, so they were exausted, but didn't have to fork out for childcare! They pretty much remained in this situation for two years, and after their second daughter Faxen was born, found their dream house in Collingwood. They pulled out all the stops, borrowing money from everywhere they could, and bought the house. Emer secured a job at the local library, tutoring on the side (even managing to fit in a postgraduate creative writing course), and Tristh worked as a freelance lighting tech, also teaching piano and singing and working as a handy man when money got tight. Their fifth child was born in September 2016.
That year, Tristh got a job as an Outward Bound instructor a few hours away in Anakiwa, and they rented their house out and moved there together. The kids had the great outdoors as their playground until April 23rd, 2020, when Tristh died in an attempt to climb NZ's highest mountain, Mt Cook. Emer and the kids moved back to Collingwood where the community rallied to help her with childcare while she took over as the full time librarian at Collingwood Community Library. She still worked there and at her private tutoring jobs until November 2023, when she decided to set up Natural Magic in Mākutu Mall.
Her whole life she has been enchanted by the natural wonder that surrounded her, as well as intrigued by how magic fits into it all. She studied wand-lore, ecology and business from books and spent hours teaching her children what she knew of the magic world. This brings us to the present day.

<COLOR color="firebrick">Family
<i>
</i>
Mother: Lynne Dawne Laude (nee Carowther), b. 11Aug1955, retired nurse, muggle.
Father: Rosco Burnly Laude, b. 13Nov1949, retired factory worker, muggle.
Brothers: Jamie Burnkil Laude, b. 15May1982, hairdresser and restaurateur, muggle.
Andre Rosco Laude, b. 17Feb1986, commercial pilot, muggle.
family.png
<SIZE size="150">
Husband: Tristham Tiffin Orlando Stalwart, b 27Dec1983, d. 23Apr2020 (aged 36), lighting technician, Outward Bound instructor, muggle, deceased.
Children: Rosiee Beverleigh Shona Lowart, b. 6Jan2010, age 14, halfblood. link to Rosiee
Ksaafa Oaken Dae-Shim Lowart, b. 4Oct2011, age 13, halfblood. link to Ksaafa
Cale Tiffin Jussi Lowart, b. 5Oct2011, age 13, halfblood. link to Cale
Faxen Jae Ngaio Lowart, b. 29Feb2014, age 11, halfblood. link to Faxen
Oliver Oscar Rosco Lowart, b. 1Sep2016. age 8, halfblood. link to Ollie
<i>
</i>

</SIZE>
Our House
<SIZE size="150">

It's the home of my dreams! Set on 4 acres of mostly native bush, it's close to Collingwood. It was built with the environment in mind and has solar panelling, double glazed windows, its own electric generator and excellent insulation. There were 4 bedrooms when we moved in, but I have magically added some over the years. My bedroom has french doors and opens to a north-facing deck with views of the bush. My two youngest, Faxen and Ollie share a room, as do the 12 year old twins, Ksaafa and Cale. Rosiee has a room of her own.
Upstairs is our studio. It has two walls of entirely of mirrors and a barre running along one wall. The floor is varnished wood and is perfect for dancing on. There is a recording studio with piano a keyboard, drums, bassoon and guitar. I am musically retarded, but fortunately my kids inherited their father's incredible musical talent. There is also a painting area set up that looks out over the forest towards the ocean through the wall that is made entirely of glass. The room is completely soundproof. Of to the side is a small warm carpeted room that I use for writing. It is bare but for a computer that has nothing but a word processor on it, as I cannot write when I have distractions. The studio is completely soundproof.
The kitchen and living areas are simple. There's plenty of room for the kids to move about, but we raised them to appreciate the outdoors and they spend most of their time exploring the wonder that is our back yard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back