Down at the Lake II

Bruin Dumbledez

Wand
Ebony Wand 15" - Dragon's Heartstring Core
Bruin had spent a rather uneventful day at the Wizard's Retreat (the Brotherhood's Clubhouse). The wart situation had not improved and neither had his mood, he was still very concerned about getting caught and hoped that Bellatrix had learned something on her researching mission at the library. He didn't know what he would do if she hadn't found anything promising to help get rid of the warts, but knew that the options pretty much all had bad outcomes.

He slipped in and out of the shadows quietly, his hood pulled up over his head. He hadn't bothered with the Headless Hat tonight as Bellatrix had already seen the warts and had pretty much resolved that he would be forced to remove the hat anyways if caught sneaking around the grounds at this time of night. He arrived at the same tree as the previous night a few minutes before the stroke of midnight, wishing that his story could be like Cinderella's and everything went back to normal when the clock struck twelve.

Bellatrix repeating her actions from the previous night, made her way, undetected down to the tree that her and Bruin were set to meet at. Revealed that he was already there, she slowly walked up, hoping he did not see the few warts, she now too had received, enplanted upon her face and hands, in various places. "Hello again..." she said softly. "Sadly to say...I have not found any cure..." she said, quickly getting to the point. "Though I did run into a suspicious Professor King..."

Bruin greeted Bellatrix with a half-hearted smile hopeful for some good news. The look on her face and the mention of a run-in with Professor King were not what the doctor ordered and Bruin could not conceal his disappointment. "What exactly was Professor King suspicious about? 'Cause if he's involved I'm really screwed..." Bruin replied, unsure of where she had met him and what she might have revealed.

Bruin was certain of a couple of things. If Professor King was suspicious then he wasn't going to remain at large for too much longer and he probably wasn't going to be able to go to anyone around the school for help. Bruin's already limited options were dwindling and he wondered if anyone in Obsidian Harbour would be able to help, but quickly discounted that idea. Perhaps it was time to head home for real...his mother could probably help get rid of the warts, although he didn't want to explain to his parents about why he couldn't sort the issue out at school.

Bruin slumped to the ground, leaning against the tree as he awaited Bellatrix's response.

"He's not involved, though he kept inquiring about why I was looking up warts, and how it was never going to help, blah blah blah... and he hinted that he knew some things, so I hinted to clear your name is all. I never said a specific word...only just... "its not what you think" " she quoted her self. "I don't know how suspicious he is...but I think he will stay away. He was just trying to be an ass to me is all..." she added begrudgingly, referring to her new warts.

Bruin ran his fingers through his hair, a rather strange feeling of bumpy fingers over bumpy scalp and was dismayed when he looked down to notice a small clump of hair in his hand. "Nice, now my hair is falling out!" Bruin muttered to himself before responding to Bellatrix.

"Well, I'm at a loss then..." Bruin replied. "If King is involved and he says that we aren't going to find anything to help then I suppose we are done for, at least around here. I think I'm going to pack up and head home for real. My mom is pretty knowledgable about magical remedies and stuff and may be able to figure it out." Bruin added as he rose and prepared to head back to the Brotherhood to pack. "I'll let you know if I figure anything out..."

Bruin was incredibly upset at himself for being so stupid in his response to this problem. Why hadn't he just gone directly to King when this happened? He knew that Bellatrix hadn't intended this to happen and had done her best to try and make it right, but he couldn't help but blame her for being involved in something like this and himself for allowing himself to get sucked in as well.

Freya had woken from a bad dream and realized she would not be going back to sleep anytime soon. The blackmail letters had stopped but that made her even more nervous.

The Professor had decided to take a walk by the lake. Not to close to eaten by the squid but to get some fresh air that didn't require her going close to the forest. This is a pretty dangerous place when the sun goes down. she mused to herself. As she got closer to the lake she noticed two figures huddled close together. They didn't look like Professors but she couldn't imagine what students would be out this late at night. It was well after curfew.

She approached quietly and as she got closer she realized it was students. To her surprize, one of the students appeared to be Bruin Dumbledez, a fourth year from her Ancient Runes class. Getting closer she also noticed without surprize that the other student was Bellatrix Green.

Moving faster but without sound, Freya got close enough to be heard and shouted, "Don't move you two," she was now close enough to speak without shouting,

"What are you two doing down here? Mr. Dumbledez I"m very surp...." And her words caught in her throat when the clouds covering the moon drifted aside and the area became flooded with moonlight. Freya saw, to her horror, one of the schools best students and most liked, covered in hideous warts. Her hand shot to her throat and she squeaked out another question. "What has happened to you." Then it dawned on her the curse Nicolas had put on her door. "You too come with me now to the hospital wing." And her voice was now in control and commanding that no one would dare disobey.

Bellatrix was just getting ready to bid Bruin adue, and apologize another time, when a piercing voice rung throughout the dark night. Bellatrix shocked eyes quickly shot to the source of the shouting. Oh f**k... she thought. Should she make a run for it anyway? Did the Professor even know it was her? Was Bruin going to get punished? sh1t...your so stupid, and selfish... she thought about her self, as she decided to stay put. She was relieved that the Professor was only addressing to Bruin, but knew if need it be, she would have to tell the truth... Bellatrix watched the flicker of emotion pass over Professor Heimdall as she was choosing her form of action. Quickly enough, she stepped forward as to follow the woman. "Bruin...we should go...they can cure you...and me..." she said softly, her voice a mere whisper.

Bruin's initial surprise at hearing Professor Heimdall's voice was followed quickly by a mixture of first fear and then relief. Despite knowing that he would probably be in an incredible amount of trouble for lying to professors about his whereabouts the past few days, he was glad that this part of his warty ordeal was now over. He thought about responding to Professor Heimdall's question about what had happened, but realized quickly that she had probably figured it out and simply replied "Yes Ma'am" in a most sincere and remorseful way as he began the walk to the Hospital Wing. He was glad to see Bellatrix felt that compliance with her request was the smartest course of action as well.

As Freya led the two to the hospital wing she raised her wand and sent her Patronus to Professor King. She knew he would be the best one to cure this boy and to deal with him as well.

Bruin watched as Professor Heimdall sent off a Patronus, excited at seeing one again, wishing he could cast one himself, and finally, wondering if he'd ever get a chance to learn how. He guessed that the professor's Patronus would be summoning his Head of House and knew that Professor King would be pretty unimpressed at having one of his Prefects involved in something particularly bad for the second time this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back