Don't Wanna Fly if You're Still on the Ground

Lola Mason

OOC First Name
Katie
Wand
Lignum Vitae Wand 16" Essence of Dragon's Whisker
New Zealand was beautiful this time of year. Lola still couldn't get used to the fact that Christmas holidays were extremely warm here where as she'd come from in England this time of year was usually very cold. It would still be another three or four days before she would be heading to her aunt and uncle's to spend the holidays so she was living out of her suitcase until that time came. Grabbing her most prized possession, her guitar, and the small little package she'd gotten the week before and headed to the park near Brightstone.

In the center of the park there was a small pond with baby ducks swimming around the waters edge. The tall brunette grinned, something she did quite a bit of lately, as she stood under the bright sunshine. Finding a nice shaded spot under a nearby tree Lola sat down and surveyed the rest of the park. Today was perfect and the twinkle in her brown eyes was a testament to that. Laying her guitar across her lap she began to play a song that she'd just finished, yes actually finished, writing. She had a feeling she knew why she'd been so able to write so freely lately, but she wasn't quite ready to admit it to herself just yet. Maybe after today she would be.

Daniel had been looking forward til today for ages now, well in all fairness it had only been a few days or so since Daniel and Lola had decided to meet up before she went home for the holidays to exchange presents for Christmas. It was only natural that friends would exchange presents at Christmas...right? Daniel had spent almost every day going around the shops until he had finally found the perfect present for Lola. He thought he had known her pretty well and figured buying a present to suit her personality and something that she would like would be easy enough but it had proven itself to be harder than he had imagined. Finally, after a long search he had found the perfect thing for her and hoped that she liked it.

Arriving in Brightstone he made his way to the park where he and Lola had decided to meet up for today. He was glad that unlike back home, the Winter holidays were much warmer in new Zealand, not that Texas would really get cold but it definitely wasn’t as warm as this. With a picnic basket in his hand, with his mother having gone all out once again (she was getting really happy that Daniel was spending time with Lola but so was he but he didn’t bake and bake when he went to meet her). Inside the picnic basket, along with all the food his mother had made them was a small gift bag that contained a box with Lola’s present in it but he decided to keep that until later. As he walked through the park to the pond he heard music and a beautiful albeit familiar voice accompanying it. Following the sound he stood behind Lola until she was finished before starting to clap for her.

When Lola had finished her song she gave a start when she heard someone clapping. Turning she saw the one face that she had missed most during her time at school. The brunette wasn't one to get all mushy gushy or all girly when it came to the opposite sex, but Daniel definitely made her all giddy inside though she was very good at maintaining her composure. Lola was glad that was one thing she'd gotten from Serena seeing as Kat always wore her heart on her sleeve.

Carefully placing her guitar on the ground beside her she stood up and gave a small bow saying, "Thank you, thank you. I'll be signing autographs later on today." She crinkled her nose up slightly as she grinned at Daniel saying, "Hey you! See your mum cooked again. If she keeps this up I'm moving in with your lot. I eat better when I see you than I do all year long." Feeling less timid than she had the previous time they'd met up she gave him a friendly hug.

Daniel smiled softly as she turned round and stood up. He had been lucky enough to get a few pictures of them together at their last meeting and he saw them every day as they framed and one his bedside table or his desk, just dotted around the room in different places. While he literally saw her smiling face everyday nothing compared to see the real thing up close – it was much better. He had hoped that today they would get more pictures, he was one for making memories like that and with Lola being his first best friend he found it appropriate it make as many memories as possible – even his mum enjoyed the pictures so much that she had taken some for the family album which he admittedly thought was strange seeing as only family was ever in there.

He chuckled softly when she started bow and react as if she was a big time star – which for all he knew she could be someday. Setting down the picnic basket when he went over beside her he returned her hug, enjoying the feeling in the pit of his stomach that he normally got when he thought of her and was only magnified when he was close to her. “I’m sure she’d love that actually, I wouldn’t mind it either.” he said with a laugh. Sitting down he let out a content sigh. “So how are you? Glad school’s out?” he asked, striking up general conversation before exchanging gifts.

Blushing slightly, Lola beamed at Daniel. It had taken sixteen years for the brunette to come out of her shell and while she wasn't completely out of it just yet she knew that the progress she'd made thus far was in large thanks to the boy with her. He was the first real friend she'd made since she'd been at school and while he may not have been the first boy to make her tummy feel funny he was certainly the first to cause butterflies to pulverize her innards.

As they sat down the Ravenclaw tucked a stray piece of hair behind her ear, worrying slightly about their gift exchange, not really sure whether or not Daniel would actually like it. A lot of thought had gone into it and now she was nervous the more she thought about it. "Pretty good actually and yes I'm glad school's out. It'll be nice to get to spend some time with my family for the holidays. Mum and daddy are coming to my aunt and uncle's house the same day I'll be getting there. I'm excited to have a big family Christmas again," she said excitedly. Pulling her legs up under her she asked him, "So how about you? What's your family doing for the holidays?"

Daniel stared into Lola’s big brown eyes and he felt his stomach starting to lurch again but he didn’t flinch. He had gotten used to the feeling and most times he learned to embrace it as it made him feel, well the term ‘warm and fuzzy’ came to mind but he wouldn’t dare say something like that out loud because it sounded like something out of a cheesy romantic muggle movie, not something that came from a 16 year old boys mouth. Although as conversation was started Daniel began to feel more relaxed as one would when they were simplying hanging out with their friend best friend with just a hint of a nervousness in his stomach but he put that down to the gift exchange...he was just nervous she wouldn’t like it.

He put that out of his mind for now as he listened to Lola speak. He concealed a small laugh as she blabbered away. It was a small quirk of hers that was just too cute, talking too much when she was nervous. He wondered what she was nervous about but just figured it was about the gift exchange too, it was the first Christmas they had done this and was sentiment of how well they both knew each other. “Sounds like you’ll have a pretty busy holiday.” he said when she had finished. When he asked him about his holidays he simply shrugged his shoulders. “Mum, dad and me normally just have a quiet Christmas together and don’t really visit family because they live so far away.” he said. He was a little sad that he hadn’t seen any of his cousins, aunts, uncles or grandparents in years but it had been so long that he was getting used to it. “So um...should we exchange presents now or eat first?” he asked, not really sure what way it should work.

"Definitely busy, but I'm sure it will be wonderful. Kat and Rena are coming home too with their significant others and it'll be just like old times which is really good for me because I've missed them since they both left school," she started and then realized she was yammering on and on. Snapping her lips shut she grinned sheepishly. "You let me do it again. You're supposed to stop me when I start blabbering on and on and on," Lola said jokingly with a small nudge. When he said that it would be just him and his parents for the holidays she had a thought. "Well, I mean, I was told I could invite someone over for dinner that day. So, I mean you don't have to or anything, but if maybe you want to and of course if your parents are okay with it, well, maybe you all could come over and eat with us?" The Ravenclaw prayed she was overstepping her boundaries with that, but she'd really like for her family, most of all her parents, to meet her new found best friend. He of course had already met Kat and Serena.

With her face now flushed a lovely shade of pink, Lola did the only thing she knew to do. Picked up her guitar and started strumming until she calmed down. She looked up and smiled at Daniel when he asked if they should eat or do presents first. Even at almost seventeen years of age the thought of opening up presents excited her. Gently placing the instrument next to her once more she beamed from ear to ear. "I am all up for opening gifts. Do you want to open yours first, or..."

Daniel could listen to Lola ramble on all day if it was permitted. When she was away at school it was so much harder for him to hear her beautiful voice so he soaked it up as much as he could when it came to the odd occasion when they got to meet up. He wished that her school didn’t have limitations on when the students could come to Brightstone because the current allowances were just not enough for Daniel and writing letters could only work with him for so long – it was much better talking to her face to face, mainly because he could actually see her face and not just from a picture that he had on his writing desk. When Lola reminded him that he was supposed to stop her when she started to blabber on and on he simply shrugged as he chuckled a bit. “Heey.” he said jokingly as she nudged him. “It’s so much more fun to hear you go on and on though.” he told her with a smile plastered on his face. When she started to stammer on about how she was allowed to invite a friend over for Christmas day he felt his heart starting to race. While it was the holidays he knew that he and Lola were going to be half across the world from each other, something that saddened him greatly, but when she said that he could come over he jumped at the chance. “I’d love too.” he said right away. “I mean, I’m sure mum and dad won’t mind and considering the time differences I’ll still be able to spend most of Christmas day with them before you even start Christmas day.” he said with a nervous laugh. He was definitely sure that his parents wouldn’t mind that he was spending Christmas with a friend.

When Lola started to strum softly on her guitar he felt himself relaxing more after his heart had started to race a bit. When she agreed that now would be a good time to open presents he smiled. Reaching into the picnic basket he pulled out a small blue box with a silver ribbon, to match her Ravenclaw colours – mostly, and inside it was a necklace with a guitar on it because he knew how Lola loved her guitar and he had even gotten her name inscribed on it. “Well, ladies first.” he said with a small, nervous, laugh, as he passed the box over to Lola. “Merry Christmas.” he said softly, holding his breath until she opened it, he really hoped that she liked it.

Lola's heart swelled when Daniel said that he might be able to come to dinner for Christmas. It would definitely be the bright spot in her holidays. When he handed her the box she grinned brightly. Carefully she removed the ribbon and then the top and pulled out the necklace that he had gotten her. Mouth agape she sat there with her hand held up admiring the necklace as the sunlight hit it. "It's perfect! Thank you so much," she said, fastening the clasp behind her neck. Now that she'd seen what he'd gotten for her giving him his gift would be easier she only hoped that he liked his as much as she liked hers.

Handing over the small box she watched his face as he opened it. When he looked up at her with a very confused look on his face the brunette found a courageous streak somewhere deep inside of her as she leaned over and lightly brushed her lips across his. Pulling back, her face bright red she said, "I couldn't think of what else to get you and I wanted to give you something to remember me by when you're at home when we go back to school." Lola sat there to try and gauge his response, not really sure what he would do now.

Daniel breathed a sigh of relief when Lola said the present was perfect. He was just glad that she liked it, he was so nervous. He didn’t know how to buy for girls but when his mother suggested jewellery and he had seen that necklace he knew that it was what he had wanted to get her – the inscription was just extra that he thought would have added extra personalisation to it. When she put the necklace on he smiled softly, it looked perfect on her. He noticed how pretty Lola looked in the summer weather, her necklace picking up a sun ray and reflecting it slightly. She looked really pretty and Daniel had to stop himself from looking at her as soon as she had handed over his present. Unwrapping the small box he was excited to see what was in it but when he saw that it was empty his heart sort of sunk from racing just a moment ago. His eyebrows furrowed greatly as he looked up at Lola. He really didn’t know what to say to her for fear of embarrassing her or himself, maybe there was something he was missing about the present? Some people did things like that, right? He was wreaking his brain as he continued to look at Lola was a strange look, although that look didn’t last too long.

Before he could say anything he saw Lola coming towards him and in an instant her soft pink lips were upon his own. It was just for a split second almost and Daniel wished it had lasted longer as he only had less that a split second to react, pressing his own lips against her own just as she was pulling away. He heart now felt like it was going to fly out of his chest it was beating that fast. Not knowing what to say he listened to Lola. Rolling his eyes lightly he said, “It doesn’t take much for me to remember you when we’re apart Lola.” he said, feeling blood rushing to his head as he just realised what he said. What do you say to a gift like that? He had no clue. “But that was um...really nice.” he said, telling the truth. “Makes me kinda wish I had gotten you something else.” he said with a nervous laugh. Then it hit him...maybe he could get her something else. Leaning forward again he pressed his lips against Lola's except this time he lingered a bit more. It felt as if electricity was moving from his lips all around body now. The sensation he felt right now was the best thing he'd ever experienced before. Pulling away again he smiled sheepishly. "There, no you have something to remember me by." he said with another nervous laugh.

At first it was hard to get a read on exactly how Daniel had felt about the kiss. She bit her lower lip lightly, but breathed a sigh of relief at his words. Her face flushed when he said it didn't take much for him to remember her. She was glad to hear it because she felt the same way about him. The Ravenclaw was just about to tell him that there was nothing else he could have given her that she would have loved more when he did something unexpected. He kissed her again. A small electric current shot through her body giving her tiny little goosebumps along her arms and across the back of her neck. When he pulled back and smiled at her she too couldn't help, but grin. I could get a little too used to that she thought as her heart tried it's best to slow down the beat to keep from flying out of her chest.

Lola had never really given much thought to kissing boys. Of course she'd talked to her cousins about it seeing as how Kat had always been quite popular with the fellas and even though Serena had only ever kissed one guy it was still the same guy she'd been with since she had been fifteen years old. Lola seemed to think that listening to Serena's advice about relationships was the better course of action seeing as how she and Harrison had been together for what seemed like an eternity and they still loved each other more and more every day.

"Two perfect presents in one day. I'd have to say I'm probably the luckiest girl alive right now," she said sincerely, not really caring just how cheesy it sounded.

Daniel being a typical teenage boy wrapped his arms tightly around Lola and made her his right there under the tree, not caring who might be watching
Daniel still couldn’t get over what Lola’s present was for him let alone what he had done after it. It was s spur of the moment action and as spur of the moment actions go that was a pretty big one – especially for Daniel. He had never liked a girl before the way he liked Lola let alone kiss a girl before. Although he felt that it wasn’t sure a risky move after Lola had been the first to make a move. It was certainly something that people didn’t hear about too often, about girls making the first move. He had read from old muggle books and in those old films that the boy was supposed to make the first move and it was all romantic and stuff. While Daniel didn’t make the first move he still found it sort of romantic. In his eyes they were still sort of young but it felt right.

The only thing now was where to go with it? It was safe to say that Daniel had never been in this situation before so it was completely new to him. When he heard what Lola said it made him smile even more, something he didn’t think was possible as he was smiling so much already. Well why wouldn’t he? He just got his first and second kiss from his best friend who was also a girl that he really liked. “I’m glad. I must say I have my fair share of luck today as well.” he said with a sincere smile. Oh Merlin he was going to have to tell his mother about this wasn’t he? She would surely notice the difference in him and beat, not literally, the answer out of him. He chuckled lightly at the idea of it. “Well now the gift exchange is over,” although he wouldn’t mind so much if Lola cared to give hers again or he would easily give his second one again, “How about we dig into this food? Mum hates to see leftovers.” he said with a small laugh as he reached into the picnic basket and started to place the food out.

Lola was quite shocked at what Daniel did next, but never having been one to put up a fuss she just happily let him do as he pleased.

Grinning brightly she said, "I think we can make a fair attempt at trying to tuck all this food away." Lola peeked to see if the one thing she was hoping was packed was actually there. Sure enough, there they were. "Mmm, brownies. I swear your mum makes the best," she said as her mouth watered at the thought of them. Before even thinking of eating anything else she picked one of the delicious treats up and took a bite. "Yep...definitely the best!" After she finished with the brownie she looked to see what else had been packed. Daniel's mother had definitely outdone herself once again. The pair dipped into the food and chattered away.</COLOR>

After they'd finished eating and everything had been put away again, Lola leaned up against the tree and picked up her guitar, placing it gently across her lap. The brunette strummed delicately on the strings and hummed a nameless tune. It really had been an absolutely wonderful day. To say she simply liked Daniel was an understatement...she was totally smitten with him. Grinning at him as she strummed along she said, "Thank you for my presents. They were both perfect." Her face pinkened slightly as she said it.

<COLOR color="#000">*Thought I'd try to move this one along a bit faster so we can make sure we hit all the good parts*

NO! If you clicked this expecting something you are very bad people. Be ashamed of yourselves. Yes, that includes you, Katie :correct:

Daniel couldn’t help but laugh slightly when Lola got excited about the fact that his mum had made brownies today. He had actually asked his mother to be sure to put the brownies into the picnic basket because he knew how much Lola loved them and in case she hadn’t liked his present then they would have worked as back up. As the two ate the food Daniel knew that it was going to have to come to an end and it was coming a lot sooner than he would have liked it too. He always enjoyed the time he spent with Lola but she always had to go back to school and he had to go home – it wasn’t fair. When the picnic basket closed over Daniel grimanced slightly at the empty space because it meant that today had come to an end but to him it had been a perfect day so he smiled, focusing on the good parts and turned to Lola again. Daniel grinned as Lola mentioned her presents again, “I’m glad you liked them. Mine was perfect too.” he said, unable to stop thinking about it. As the light started to dim the two begrudgingly stood up and gathered their things. Daniel walked Lola back as far as he was allowed to go, with the moonlight pouring down on them they exchanged their presents one last time before they had to part. As Daniel walked back home he remembered that it wouldn’t be long before they were to meet again as he still had Lola’s offer of spending the holidays with her, all of a sudden he got a lot more excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back