Disturbed sleeps.

Charlie Linus

OOC First Name
Taylor
Wand
Rowan Wand 15" Essence of Fang of Basilisk
Sleeping just wasnt working out for Charlie. Half the time he couldnt at all and the other half when he could, it was riddled with nightmares of past experiences. He shook his head as he wandered the halls. He didnt want to venture too far and sure as hell wouldnt go on the grounds. He didnt plan on getting in trouble. He wasnt good around older people, especially adults.

He still felt out of place here. He just couldnt wrap his head around anything. He suddenly found himself in the kitchens. How long had this been here? He stepped inside, to find it empty, or so he thought.

He jumped at something moving in the corner. WHAT WAS THAT?! It looked... Charlie couldnt even describe it. He stood staring as it turned to look at him with huge tennis ball eyes and massive ears. Okay, this school just got weirder and weirder.

Ava couldn't sleep and she was getting absolutley frustrated. She hated when she couldn't sleep, it didn't happen often but when it did it sucked. Lying in her bed wide awake for over half an hour Ava decided that enough was enough and got out of her bed. She threw on a tracksuit and slipped her slippers on. She left her dorm quietly and sucessfully didn't disturb anyone.

Walking through the dungeons Ava started to feel that chill that she always got down here. Many Slytherins loved the dungeons because it was 'Slytherin turf', Ava didn't like them that much, they were too dark and dank for her liking. She folded her arms against her chest trying to keep warm but it didn't help that much. Instead she picked up her speed and practically ran out of the dungeons.

Once she was out of them she didn't know what to do. What could she do? Stroll around corridors to get caught? No. She came to the conclusion to do what everyone does when they can't sleep- go to the Kitchens. Ava headed towards the kitchens wondering to herself if there would be anyone already there. She hoped so, at least then she could talk to someone. But what if its Hoshi or one of those people? She hoped that if someone was in the kitchens it would be someone she could have a decent conversation with.

Once she pushed open the door Ava pulled out her wand and commanded 'Lumos', a beam of light shot from her wand it wasn't perfect but it was enough to see a boy already there. She stared at him for a moment before realizing that she seen him around a couple of times. "Hi." She said quickly in her London accent and closed the door over. She noticed he looked a little scared, "Are you alright?" She asked him stepping a bit closer.

Charlie jumped when a beam of light lit up the poorly lit kitchen. He glanced behind him as a girl said hi and asked if he was okay. "Erm," He cleared his throat, "Yeah Im fine." He finished letting his tense shoulders relax a little bit.

Charlie glanced back over to where the thing had been staring at him, to find it still there but at least it had turned around. He shook his head and looked at the girl. "What are you doing down here?" His own english accent coming through. Charlie had lived all over England, so one couldnt define his accent to one particular English one.

Ava watched him as he nervously glanced to the corner. Ava raised her wand towards it where it revealed a small house elf. She looked back at the boy with confusion. "Its just a house elf." She said as if it was plain obvious, well to her it was. House elf's were like second nature to her. She had one back in London it was quite annoying but it did the job.

"I couldn't sleep." She said simply and then lowered her wand so it wasn't beaming in the boy's face. "What about you?" She asked him quickly, she didn't really give a 'hoot' why he was down here but if he had the decency to ask her she could have the decency to return the question. She walked over to a bowl full of fruit and took out a strawberry. She turned to the boy and waited for his reply.

Charlie looked back as she directed the light towards the weird creature. Her indifferent attitude made Charlie uneasy. Remembering back to what he heard about 'muggleborns', he forced a laugh and said, "Oh, didnt realise they had them here." His mind however was saying, elves? You have GOT to be kidding me?!

Clearing his throat to get rid of such thoughts, he watched as the girl moved over to a bowl of fruit, and asked why he was down here. "Same reason as you." He admitted, beginning to walk around the room examining his surroundings as he went, but staying clear of the 'house elf'.

After a short while he turned to the girl, the atmosphere was beginning to get awkward, he needed to say something. "Im Charlie by the way." He stated, only looking at the girl for a second, before turning his eyes away again. "First year Slytherin." He mumbled after he had looked away. He had learnt that everyone judged by what house and year you were in. His statement could make or break the conversation.

"Yeah. Duh! Who do you think makes all of our food?" Ava said shaking her head in disbelief at the boy. Muggleborn. Has to be. Ava watched the boy as he walked around the room and she popped the strawberry in her mouth. Then the boy introduced himself as Charlie a Slytherin. Ava was a little surprised by this, he didn't seem the type. She brushed her hands together to wipe off any bit of juice. "I'm Ava. First year Slytherin." She said in return to him. A muggleborn in Slytherin? Ava couldn't believe it, maybe he isn't muggleborn. She said trying to reassure herself. "Soo..." She said taking out another strawberry. "How do you like Hogwarts?" She asked him in not so much a friendly tone but it wasn't exactly a sneering tone. If this boy was put in Slytherin he couldn't be so bad.

Charlie felt stupid and just shrugged when she asked who he thought made the food if it wasnt the house elves. He would have assumed chefs? Or something. Like he cared anyway. He continued walking around the room, until he reached a fridge and he pulled it open.

He looked back at the girl who had introduced her as Ava. He hadnt seen her around, yet she was the same house and year as him. It didnt really surprise him, he kept to himself most of the time. He had been planning on doing so when he came here, but was joined by Ava. He supposed she was okay, but he made her nervous. One, because she seemed to know everything about the wizarding world, like the majority of everyone here. And two, because she was a girl and she was pretty. That in itself made Charlie feel uneasy.

"You would think I would have seen you around." He stated unneccesarily, diverting his attention back to the fridge. "Hogwarts is okay. I miss my guitar though." He confessed to someone for a second time. He really had to find a way of getting it over here. And fast. He feared he would go insane without his music soon. "How are you liking it?" He asked, pulling out a jug of cold water, putting it on the table and beginning to look for a glass.

Ava shrugged as he said he thought he would have seen her around, "Well the castle is big... but I suppose.." She trailed of to her thoughts in her head. She sometimes would linger around the boy's dormitories just for a sight of Sterling. She knew it was beyond pathetic but no one knew about it and they didn't have to know.

"Well you could get it by owl." She said in the same tone she used before. This boy was clueless and she didn't know why she was wasting her time on him. "Or just go to that Wrock Club in the clubs area, I'm sure they have guitars there." She said to him quite bored with giving him advice. As the conversation turned around to her she perked up a bit. "I quite like it." Was all she said, of coarse she could say 'I have hardly any friends' or 'I feel a little homesick' but she would never let anyone know about that.

Ava watched Charlie search- presumbly for a glass- around the kitchen. "They're in the press above you head." She said to him, "And you can get me one two."She said flicking her hair from her shoulder and propping herself up on a countertop.

Charlie knew of the sending of owls the girl had just explained to him. He didnt want to send his parents an owl because they would completely freak out that a bird was sending them a letter from Charlie. He wasnt aware however or a 'wrock club'. He didnt think he would go there though. He wasnt that desperate.

He nodded when the girl admitted she liked school so far. He wouldnt look back though, he could feel the tension building in the room and Charlie didnt think she liked his company. He guessed he would have a glass of water and then leave. She then informed him of where the glasses were and he collected two at her request she get one for her. Placing them on the table, he poured the two glasses and took one over to where she was sat on the counter. He gave her a weak smile before turning and taking a seat in the centre table.

Charlie drank a small sip and then wondered what else he could say to make the conversation less awkward. "Have a favourite class yet?" He said rather generically, running a hand through his dirty blonde hair that he always left in a styled windswept fashion.

Ava took the glass from his hand and nodded to him as a 'thank-you'. She watched him take a seat at the centre table. She didn't know what she thought of him yet. Usually she would have just got up and left but with him there was something that made her stay. It worrie her a bit.

"Umm.." She didn't know if she had a favourite class. "I don't really think that I like any of them enough to call them my favourite." She said simply. She supposed it would probably be potions but she didn't admit that now. Taking another sip from her glass she looked around the room. The house elves did a good job at feeping it clean, she had to give them that.

"Whats your favourite class- if you have one." Ava asked him not making eye contact. Her light blue eyes continued to look around the room. Right before he answered she looked back at him, making full eye contact. She twirled a strand of her blonde hair and waited for his reply.

Charlie looked at the water in his glass as he lightly shifted it back and forward on the table. He took another sip as he listened to Ava explain. He felt the same way really, he nodded and looked up at Ava to answer, when he completely lost his train of thought at eye contact. "Ugh." He said stupidly, he blinked once before regaining his composure. "Im probably the same as you." Charlie waved his hand dismissing the subject, if he was lucky he could pass that off as thinking before saying. But this girl was a Slytherin and if what they had heard about the house was true. She was aware of his stuff up, but Charlie had learnt to never leave your guard down for too long.

He looked back at his glass and took a gulp instead of a sip. He placed down his glass which was now half empty as his eyes scanned the room. He looked back at Ava briefly, not wanting to think he was avoiding eye contact, it would make things all the more obvious. Play it cool doofus. His brain scolded, he really didnt know how to handle social interaction well at all. He blamed his parents.

Ava watched him as he was about to say something but stopped in his tracks once he made eye contact wth her. She was about to say something to him, to question it but then he managed to continue what he was about to say. She let it slide this time because what he said made a small smile slide onto her lips which, for once, weren't glossed. She had no make-up on and she only realised now. She suddenly put her hand to her cheek feeling the bare skin. But in a way today she didn't really care, this was only Charlie and although she didn't really know him all that well it seemed the type not to care. Ava slowly removed her hand from her cheek and let it rest on her lap.

Charlie was probably the first person she knew who didn't have a preferred suject, in fact he might not like any at all. That made Ava feel a little better, even in Slytherin most of the students were academic. She just never was. As silence filled the room Ava took another sip from her glass of water. The silence continued but Ava didn't mind it too much. She sometimes silence in rooms. But she could tell that Charlie was feeling uncomfortable which for once made her want to do something about it. "So whereabouts in England are you from?" She asked him, her London accent was clear, his accent was strange and she couldn't place it.

Charlie let out a breath as she let the slip up slide, that is if she had noticed it. Which Charlie was fairly sure she did. A silence stretched over the room and Charlie didnt know what to make of it. He kept his eyes busy, making it appear as though he wasnt feeling awkward. As if he was simply glancing around the room and he had chosen the silence to wash over them. He was relieved when Ava broke it however, asking where he was from. "Oh, Im from all over the place. Lived here and there." He admitted with a small shrug. "Born in Manchester though." He added. He had noted her London accent earlier on in the conversation, they were one of the easiest accents to place. "Your obviously from London, correct?" He asked with a small smile, with the topic on England he felt a little more confident. It was a subject he was actually fond of and knew something about.

Manchester? Ava thought to herself, now that she heard this she realised that it could be heard in his accent. She didn't know if she would have liked to be dragged around England, then again he would have got to see many places. Why do you care? She asked herself. Shaking that thought off as he guessed she was from London. Ava was glad that she could relate to these things with Charlie. Her London accent was strong and obvious and still people continued asked where she was from. "Yeah. London. Been living there all of my life." She said with a proud smile. "Have you ever been to London?" She asked him a little more friendly than she had been to him all night. She was about to ask if he had ever lived in London but thought that might be a little inappropriate. This was probably one of the few times that Ava tried not to be rude and inappropriate. It happened on rare occasions - if ever!

Charlie was aware that the atmosphere had become less tense now that the topic was directed to something he and Ava both know about and felt comfortable with. Something they actually had in common. Charlie give her a small smile when his guess was confirmed and he nodded. "Yeah, I was there for a year actually, then we moved and a couple of years later stayed there for another half a year." Charlie wasnt sure he liked it there, he preferred the quite countryside England instead of the hustle and bustle, but it was still a very nice place to live and he said as much, "Its nice there." His tone sounded somewhat impressed. He wished he could have lived in one place, Charlie didnt like change, although he was forced into it his whole life.

Ava was surprised as he said he had lived there for half a year and then returned for another half a year a couple of years later. He wasn't joking about moving all of the place Ava thought to herself though her face stayed perfectly composed. "It is nice." She agreed and took another strawberry from the bowl. She took a small bite out of the bottom half and swallowed it before adding, "New Zealand is definitely a change. Its a little depressing really." She said sourly but with a small laugh at the end. She hated the fact that Obsidian Harbour was the biggest shopping area around and compared to the variety in London it was nothing. "Where would you say was your favourite place that you lived?" She asked him curiously. She wondered how many places he actually lived but would never ask that question.

Charlie nodded in agreement unconciously, glancing around the room. He noticed the house elf still cowering in a corner and hoped it would stay there. Creepy thing. He inwardly scowled and looked back at Ava when she asked him a question. He thought about it for a moment, he wasnt sure really. He had blanked alot of his childhood out, but he would probably say, "Manchester I guess." He said simply. "Its where I was born and where I spent the most time." That in itself gave him reason to like it. It was the most familiar place for him.

Charlie realised he was running out of conversation and didnt want to be caught out when it did finally draw to a miserable close. He decided he would quit while he was ahead. He stood up and gave Ava a small awkward smile. "Well, I guess I best be off to bed." He admitted. "It was nice to meet you and I guess Ill see you around?" He said, shoving his hands into his pockets, waiting to see how she would respond to that. Somewhere Charlie didnt think she would want to see him around.

Ava nodded in approval. She was in Manchester just once before as her father was on some business trip. She was quite young and didn't remember it too well but she remembered thinking it was a nice place. Though still, London was always going to be her home and the best place on the planet. She could understand what he said next, that he was born there and he spent most of his time there and that was why it was his favourite. Probably how I feel about London.. She thought to herself as her eyes looked away from Charlie and looked around the room once more.

As Charlie spoke again she didn't realise that there was quite a bit of silence between them. "Oh okay.." She said to him leaning her back up against the wall. She was going to stay in the kitchens for another bit, she was no where near tired. She gave Charlie a small smile, "Yeah, nice meeting you too." Did I just say that? Ava asked herself shaking it off and simply nodded and said, "See you around."

Charlie let the corners of his mouth twitch up in a smile when she said she would see him around. He then said a small, "Cya" and left the Kitchens. Maybe school wouldnt be such a bad place after all. He just had to get through a few years of it didnt he? Surely if he just kept his head down, perhaps even made a few friends things would be easier. He realised his ability to talk to people was improving and his worrys about his parents were quickly being thrown out a window. They really werent nice people and as Charlie grew up, he realised that more and more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back