Dance Class 101

Andromeda Fiorelli

OOC First Name
Linda
Wand
Cherry/Maple Wand 13 1/4" Essence of a Dragon's Heartstring; 10 1/2" 4wood mix - unicorn hair core
Andromeda walked up to the North Tower as arranged the previous week with Aries. She had decided to wear a long flowing skirt to simulate what she might wear the night of the Yule Ball, so passing students who were not used to seeing her like this was mildly amusing. The skirt was a long pale green gypsy style skirt and over it she had chosen to wear a simple fitted white sleeveless ti-shirt. Andy wore flipflops but in the bag slung over her shoulder she had packed a pair of heels, so she could get used to dancing in that style of shoe.

As she got to the top of the tower she walked out into the blinding sun and dropped her bag to take out the shoes. She began changing them straight away before quickly looking at her watch to see if she was early or late. Thankfully though she was right on time.

Aries took the tower steps two at a time, he had arranged to meet Andy up here for dance lessons and had forgotten he had a major study session in an hour so needed the dance class to run smoothly first time around or he'd have to do another one at a later date with her.
"Hey you're eager. Just as well we only have an hour" he warned her as he walked out on to the parapet, he saw her changing her shoes and shook his head in wonder.
"Now that's what I call coming prepared. No point in learning in your flat shoes unless you're wearing flats for the ball. This is all for the Yule Ball isn't it?"

"Does it matter what it is for?" she asked him straightenin up after tying the last shoe, "An hour should be enough shouldn't it? Crikey if it runs beyond that, I'll need a new set of legs."
She smiled at him then went to stand in the center of the tower and sighed flopping her hands exaggeratedly to her side.
"So come on then, are we doing this or what?"

Aries sized her up for a moment, there was something she was obviously hiding. She was being very evasive of the whole Yule Ball thing, maybe she wasn't going after all though. He wondered if there was any truth in the gossip magazines article about herself and the head boy but dismissed it. The article on himself and Violet hadn't been true so why should theirs? He walked over to her and laughed, holding up both her arms loosely Aries put one on his shoulder while his right hand went to her waist as his left hand held hers in its grasp.
"Ok this is the usual starting set up for any waltz, for any slow dance at that. So just remember the basics and you should be alright. Your right hand in his left, your left hand on his shoulder, then it's a basic three count and turn step ok. Ready" he smiled down at her keeping enough distance between them so she could actually see their foot work and get comfortable with the steps.

Andy watched as he walked towards her and held up her arms before putting one on his shoulder while the other remained in his hand. She nodded her head at the three step and turn count thing but she seriously hadn't a clue.
"Ok you're going to have to show me this because it's double dutch" she removed her hand from his shoulder to lift the bear pendant to her mouth where she kissed it.
'Give me the strength to see this through without crippling Aries' she wished before putting her hand back on his shoulder again.
"But yeah, I think I'm ready".

He wanted to laugh at how nervous she seemed but stopped himself, he certainly didn't want to put her off. He wondered briefly once more who she was learning this stuff for but shook it off as he looked at her.
"Ok, I'm going to count us out and you simply follow my lead" Aries took his first step on the count of one, "One, two three, one two three, one two three turn. Try again... one, two three, one two three, one two three, turn".
He stopped her for a minute.
"Well that wasn't so bad now can you actually move a bit more?"

Andromeda attempted to glide along with him as he counted out the steps, there was a huge difference in how she seemed to be moving though compared to how Aries was. She felt as if she were wearing clogs and was moving like an elephant.
"Aries if I move anymore I'll step on you, really. Taking these small steps seems the safest option" she told him as she looked down at her feet and his trying to move exactly as he did and just as she had said it, it happened. Her left foot came out too soon and came down on his toes.
"Oh I am so sorry" she grimaced, "Do you want to stop now while you have still two feet left?"

Aries wasn't crushed by the pressure of her foot on his, he smiled and shook his head.
"Don't be silly, you're just trying to get out of this. You want the lessons well you're getting them. Try again alright"

For the next hour Aries and Andromeda made slow progress but progress was made. His toes were no longer trampled on, her head no longer smacked off of his on turns and she certainly didn't get dizzy anymore either from them. He smiled as he released her hand and gave her a clap.
"Well done, you can now officially waltz like a pro... ok exaggeration, like one hell of an amateur then. Really you've only had one lesson and you're great. Smooth out, you'll knock him dead at the Yule Ball" he winked.

"Thanks Aries" she smiled at him, removing the heeled shoes that were killing her now. She sat down on the ground and rubbed her feet to ease the pain.
"I guess I'll also have to walk around in heels more to get used to them" she muttered as she slipped her flipflops back on.

"Who said anything about ... about the Yule Ball?" she was useless at covering up and grinned instead at him, "Ok, if you must know I am going to ask someone to the Yule Ball. I got my runes read last year and they said that if I asked a boy he would say yes. I've just the boy in mind too". Her hand went directly to the bear pendant and she couldn't resist smiling.

Aries leaned against one of the tower walls as she put her shoes back on and listened as she tried to deny her reasons for learning to dance. He couldn't help but laugh when she told him about the runes.
"I didn't think you believed any of that stuff. So who is the lucky guy, do I know him?"
Aries wondered if it was Bruin their headboy, this would indicate without a shadow of a doubt that part of what the gossip magazine had said was true.

Andy shrugged as she stood up and smoothed down her skirt.
"I don't believe in it really but Cyndi my bestfriend does and she did my reading. Besides if I don't ask a boy then I have to make her bed for a whole month, asking a boy to the Yule Ball is preferable" she grinned turning as she thought she heard someone on the stairs. She was silent for a moment but on hearing nothing else she turned to Aries and blushed slightly before she nodded her head a little.
"I think you know him or know of him anyhow but I don't want to jinx it by saying anything before I've even asked".

Merlina had heard voices on her way up to the North Tower, stopping to make sure she was right in her assumption of who it might be she carried on after hearing her cousin's voice. As she stepped out on to the tower she smiled at Andromeda but frowned when she saw the other boy though she did recognise him from her house. She immediately wiped the frown away, remembering how she was to try to be nicer to people.
"Hello" she smiled at him, though her mouth hurt a little with the false effort, "Romy can I speak with you, please. It is important."
To show her just how important, Merlina reverted to Italian.
"Please Romy, send the boy away. I need to tell you something".

Andy turned at the sound once again of someone on the stairs only to see her younger cousin stepping out on to the tower roof.
"Hi Merlina" the smile she had for her was short lived as Merlina said she had to speak with her and when she switched to Italian Andy merely nodded her head.
"This is Aries by the way, Aries this is my cousin Merlina. You said you had a class now any how didn't you? Sorry about this, she only speaks in Italian if it is uber important".

Aries turned to see a first year Ravenclaw enter and smiled at her when Andy introduced her as her cousin.
"Hey Merlina" he knew he had to make himself scarce anyway so didn't mind in the slightest leaving, "Nice to meet you and Andy... keep up the dancing. Great feet work if you stop concentrating and relax a little. I'll catch you later ok."

He grabbed his own bag and slung it over his shoulder.
"I'll be seeing you and good luck with asking you know who... let me know how it goes though".
He winked at them before heading down the steep staircase and off to class.

Andy waved and thanked Aries once more before turning to Merlina.
"Ok what's the state of emergency this time?" she smiled at her, her cousin was not exactly famous for her tact and deplomacy on any matter.
"Are you in trouble?"

Merlina waited until she knew that Aries was gone before saying anything. She shook her head and frowned.
"No I am not in trouble. I heard you when I was coming up the stairs and have to tell you something. Are you going to ask Bruin Dumbledez to the dance?"
she was blunt and forthright as she was with anything, never seeing a point to beat about the bush on any matter. Though she couldn't help but realise that for reasons beyond her understanding she was not as blunt with Ryuu. She would rather talk in circles than come to any actual conclusion.

Andy's mouth fell open and she blinked a number of times almost with shock.
"Are you psychic or something? How did you..." she sighed and gave up trying to understand her cousin, "What if I am going to ask him, it's not important to you or anyone else is it?"
She picked up her bag from the ground and put her heeled shoes inside it, she slipped the bag over her shoulder and looked at her cousin once more.

"Really Merlina, you have to stop nosing into other peoples business".

"Well I'm not stupid Romy" she sighed shaking her head at her older cousin, really Gryffindors were not the smartest bunch were they? Of course she felt differently about one particular Gryffindor but before her usual methodical brain steered off course she stood her ground and looked at her cousin.
"It is important to two other people actually and .. well I can stop now if you want me too but I don't think you do. You'll want to hear what I have to say".

Andy frowned and crossing her arms over her chest waited rather impatiently.
"Ok you have my undivided attention. I don't have a clue what you're on about but fire away. I'm all ears".

She moved her hands again and waved them slightly to hurry her cousin along in her explanation.

"You can't ask Bruin Dumbledez to the Yule Ball" she blurted out, there she had said it finally. She waited to see Andromeda's reaction but thought telling her the rest was probably called for.
"I was up around the seventh floor corridor and as I was coming down I saw him talking with another girl. She's a Gryffindor too. Anyway, I couldn't help overhearing that.. well he asked her to the Yule Ball and she said yes. They both looked pretty made up about it" she shrugged her shoulders.

Andy thought her world had quite literally caved in on her. Merlina didn't lie, she was pretty much like herself. It seemed a curse of their families that they could not even tell a little white lie, though she had found over the years that omitting certain truths was easier. She felt as if he had just managed to tear her heart out all over again. She felt cold and inconsequential all of a sudden. Her hand went to the bear pendant around her neck. Surely there was some mistake? But she knew there wasn't. She had been a fool to think he would have wanted to go with her anyhow.

Andy felt a tear slide down her face and wiped it away fiercely.
"Thanks Merlina" she told her cousin, "I need to be alone right now."
She didn't give any other explanations, said nothing else at all but left the North Tower after having an hours gruelling dance lesson when she had been so happy and hopeful, now she felt nothing more than a pathetic fool for wanting and hoping, wishing for what she could so obviously never have.

Merlina watched her cousins face and instantly felt terrible for breaking the news the way she had. If Merlina could tell that Romy was crazy about this boy, surely the big oaf could see it too but apparently he was either very blind or he simply wasn't interested.
"Ok Romy" she watched as her cousin left the tower and sighed, hoping that she would never feel so strongly for a boy that he could have such devastating affect on her. She walked over to the parapet and looked out over the school grounds what had probably started as a great day for her cousin was now beyond morbid and it was all Merlina's fault for breaking the news to her. But someone had to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back