Dame in Distress

Sarah Reine

Sarah Reine had not stepped foot on New Zealand soil since the morning she had disowned her eldest son. No one would know how it ate at her, how she spent her money like a madwoman. Traveling the world, meeting interesting men, both young and old, and never once thinking of settling down or mending her ways. Unless it was late at night and she was well into her cups. Then she would hum a sad, soft tune after kicking out her latest lover and reminisce over what might have been. Mornings would dawn bright and clear, as well as her head, for she seldom suffered from hangovers. Then she would begin the whole process over again.

This morning, however, found her in Obsidian Harbor, large and fashionable sunglasses on her still beautiful face. Her dress was classicly lined, the skirt blowing in the mildly warm breeze, her heels clicking against the cobblestoned street. She had opened the gossip column and there had read of her son's engagement and subsequent whirlwind wedding at the local mall. Her lips had twisted in derision, the age old feeling that none were good enough for her boys. She had obtained the next flight, unable to ask herself why she was even bothering to try to catch a glimpse of the girl.

Sarah flipped open the gold cigarette case and palmed a dark cherry flavored smoke. She sighed huffily as she realized she had no lighter. Turning, she lightly tapped a man on his shoulder. "Pardon, but do you have a light?"

Ashton had to come to the harbour today to do some shopping that he now decided that he couldn't be bothered to do. He was now relaxing by a fence looking out at all the other people there. He turned around when he felt someone tap him and ask him for a lighter. He smiled as he answered. " Yeah i do here you go." He reached into his back pocket and took out a fancy silver lighter and his own box os fags. He took one out and then held it out so that she could light it after hers.

Sarah's light grey eyes flickered over the man's features as she leaned slightly forward to light the tip of her cigarette. Inhaling briefly she straightened up and blew the smoke from the corner of her mouth, not wanting to be rude and send a stream of smoke into a strangers face. "Thank you," she murmured, wondering if she should continue on her way. She decided to stay and speak for a few moments, it couldn't hurt, she mentally shrugged. "My name is Sarah," she held out the hand not holding the cigarette. She had never been a shy person.

Ash lit his cigarette then moved his head to the side to blow out the smoke he had inhaled. When he turned back he took hold of her hand and shook it. "Im Ashton, nice to meet you." He gave her a crooked smile before drawing his cigarrette again. He stuck his lighter back into his pocket and then began to talk again. "So do you live around here because i dont think that i recognise you face." Ashton was usually good when it came to faces and hers he diddnt think he had seen anywhere so he was just alittle curious about it.

"No," Sarah let a light smile grace her face. "I don't live here. Nor anywhere really." She shrugged and cupped an elbow with one hand, the other raising to take a languorous drag. "I've been traveling abroad for quite some time. And you, Ashton? Do you live around here?" She let her gaze lightly rake over his features then smiled a little wider. He was a handsome man, perhaps around her age although she wasn't quite sure.

Ash frowned alittle when he said that she diddn't really live anywhere. " I would love to travel abroad like that. I do live here, although dont really think that i like it, for some reason unknown to me." This was true as he diddnt know why de disliked it here, there was something about it. He returned her as ne noticed that she might have been checking him out. He crossed his arms across his chest and sized her up slyly before looking away to blow out the smoke from his lungs. "So what brings you to New Zealand then?"

Sarah flicked her ashes then proceeded to grind the lit tip under the heel of her designer shoe. "There isn't much that draws one here. I have someone I wanted to see," she shrugged a slim shoulder. Pictures never did one justice and the slightly blurry one of her daughter in law, she paused and corrected herself. Her would be daughter in law. She wanted to see her, if not meet her as she didn't want Sumner to know she was in town. "Why don't you travel from this stagnant place?" she asked curiously.

Ashton shrugged passively at her question. " i dont reall know to be honest. I suppose that its because my whole family is here and my youngest daughter is in school here so i like to be here for her." Ash was very fond of Alexia and he was always going to be there for her and diddn't want to mess things up with her like he had done with Riley and Blake. " What made you begin to travel in the first place then because something tells me that it must have been a big problem if you are constantly on the move like you say you are. Or maybe just to get away, im just geussing." He gave a quick smile then returned to normal. Ash wasn't big on the whole smiling thing.

Sarah glanced around them then back at Ashton. "My husband passed away and I decided that traveling would be the best thing for me right now." Her light grey eyes reflected the sunlight. "My son is in school at Durmstrang, I come back to the region during his vacations." Sarah checked her time piece pinned to her lapel. "Hm. I should go. Thanks for the light Ashton," her lips quirked, holding out her hand once more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back