Bring Ye Tidings of Sorrow; I

Deirdre Yearling

OOC First Name
Teigan
Sexual Orientation
Heterosexual
Wand
Yew Wand 14 3/4" Essence of Griffin Feather
Three days ago, Deirdre received a letter that was worse than any of those she had received before, during of after Wallace's company. She had not even known that Artemis had had a fiancé, let alone the fact that he had been killed the very afternoon before. How had her family come to this, that sad tidings of a death within the family of a future brother-in-law that she hadn't even known she'd had should come to her by letter, having never met the boy in the first place, anyway? Since when did her Artemis even looked twice at a boy, let alone become engaged to one? Deirdre was tired of crying but her tears had been uncontrollable. She wept for the estrangement of the siblings and for her darling Artemis' loss. To have agreed to an engagement ... she must have loved him dearly. Worse yet, he had been killed by a centaur; a wise creature that Artemis had always loved and trusted since she was small enough to hide in her father's briefcase. Deirdre had departed at once, despite her father's pleas. She would be damned if she'd let her sister go uncomforted in such a dark hour.

Deirdre had arrived in Brightstone only an hour earlier, and was currently pacing in a small park off the main street. Apart from her family (though she supposed she knew Wallace) Deirdre knew not a single person, and truth to be told she had no idea how to get to her Mother's house. Ridiculously, they did not have their fire hooked up to the Floo Network, and she did not know how to make her way around the street to find the family's. Deirdre eventually collapsed onto a bench with an unhappy pout marring her usually good-tempered and kind cheeks. Flicking over the map with her eyes, she finally admitted that she was lost. However there was a familiar sight approaching; someone that she had not seen in at least two weeks. Deirdre stood without thinking, right into the path of the person. "Wallace?" she said softly.

It was purely ridiculous, the fact that Wallace had almost no work, and yet when he wanted time off, he couldn't have it because of a sudden surge of his workload. The department was ridiculously understaffed and Wallace was run off his feet all the time. He'd walk home like a zombie, intend to go visit Deirdre, but simply collapse in a heap on his bed, sleeping right through until the next morning, when the cycle would begin again. Worst of all, he'd gotten sick, so he was lethargic and felt completely and utterly useless. He wrote letters, which were often a mess of scribbles and ink blots and half the time didn't get sent (which still resulted in at least 3 sent letters a week, but still. He wanted to see her). He felt absolutely wretched.

Thankfully, the workload had softened - and Wallace was taking the day off. He needed recovery. And he intended on going to see Deirdre...but first he was going to Brightstone Village. He'd go a little later when the time zones matched up. He didn't want to mysteriously appear in the middle of the night, that wouldn't be very polite...or tasteful. So, as he wandered around the street, whistling to himself, he saw a sight he was not expecting to see in New Zealand of all places. His eyes widened as he heard her speak his name, and in what seemed like one quick movement, he'd wrapped his arms around her. "Deirdre, I never expected to see you here," he muttered, completely unwilling to let her go. Of course, she had to breathe, so he reluctantly loosened his grip, his hands meeting hers. "How are you, darling? What's up?"

Of course, the moment Wallace released her from his crushing hug, Deirdre threw herself back into it again. What was it about the sight of his face that undid her completely? Every single suppressed tear that she had been saving till she was by herself came pouring out at that moment. No doubt poor Wallace would be completely taken aback, thinking it was he who had reduced her to tears, but Deirdre had to explain. "Oh, Wallace," she sobbed, wrapping her arms around his chest through they did not even meet at the back. "I'm sorry that y-'ye had tay find me like this, but I'm so glad tay see 'ye!". She was, though her tears had made a small wet patch form over his heart. "I dinnay mean... I ... Oh, the only reason I'm here is because I had worse news yet from my family; Arty, my poor dear sister ... her fiancé passed away not four days ago," Deirdre said, struggling to control her voice. She lifted her small curly head and looked up at Wallace, figuring he'd at least want to see her face although it was streaked with tears. "And it's horrid that the only reason I'm able to see my family is because a brother I hadnay even known has died." she let out a sob then, shaking her head. "And that the first sight 'ye've ever seen of me ha' been in floods like this." Deirdre's face crumpled. "And I'm really lost. I don't even know where my family lives!"

Her entire body wilted and she flopped against him, pressing her face into his shirt and crying once more. How she hated herself, then; she hadn't half a good word to say to him and the first sight he'd seen was her collapsing into tears. It would have floored anyone what she was suffering through at that moment, but Wallace had only seen her at her weakest and she was so dreadfully ashamed of herself. Perhaps if it was anyone else she could have concealed her anguish, but looking upon Wallace's kind and open face, so happy to see her, and she could not hide her feelings. The Blackmoore's weren't expecting her till the next day but Deirdre had explicitly come early. Maybe she should spend the day with Wallace, if she could, to forget about everything she had been dealt and simply enjoy his company. Merlin knew that she needed it more than ever.

His face fell when he heard Deirdre burst in to tears. Oh no, what's happened? he worried, holding her lovingly and protectively, reaching a hand up to stroke her hair as she cried in to his chest. Worse news? Wallace looked down at Deirdre, fearing the worst - indeed, her sister's fiancee was dead. He could not even imagine what that would be like for her sister...and surely it was terrible for Deirdre, too. He imagined it would be like how he'd feel if Christa had a boyfriend or fiance who died...but couldn't even comprehend it. Every word she said made Wallace feel worse and worse - poor, poor Deirdre, having to deal with so much. It was no wonder she had to cry. Wallace would have surely cried if he was in the same situation.

"Shhh," he began, still stroking her hair soothingly. "Oh, Deirdre, you are an angel, you know," Wallace muttered, not moving, simply staying where he was with his arms around her. "I am so sorry about what happened to your sister. I can't imagine how hard it must be for her, or you, or your family. Or his family, even." He couldn't do much to help her, but by God, he was going to try. "I don't mind that I've seen you like this. Deirdre, I think you're beautiful however you look," he stated, honestly. "And I'm sure we can find a way to find them. But for now..." he trailed off, thinking. "Would you like me to take you somewhere, anywhere? I absolutely can not leave you in this state, and I've been wanting to take you on a proper date for ages...I mean, I understand if you're not in the mood to go anywhere, but..." he trailed off, blushing slightly. This was so not the right time, he figured. Way to be an idiot, Wallace, he admonished himself.

How on earth had Wallace known exactly what she needed, then? It was as if he has read her mind then and there. Wallace wasn't looking too sure of his suggestion that they go out together, but the flood of relief that passed over her face should have been answer enough for him. Deirdre wanted to cry all over again at his kindness, but she was a woman and not a child; Deirdre reached down to pull a baby pink handkerchief out of her pocket and wiped her eyes softly, having let go of him but not stepping back out of his embrace. "Wallace, I would like to go anywhere 'ye would take me." she said finally, gratitude squeezing the last few tears out of her eyes yet she still managed to smile at him. Even with pink cheeks and tear tracks still sticking determinedly to her face, Deirdre's smile was as gentle as ever. She put her arms around him again for a different reason, simply wanting to be held by the man she had fallen in love with. With her heart thumping against his, impulse took a hold of her and Deirdre lifted her lips to kiss him. The kiss conveyed much that she had dared not say; how thankful she was for his presence, how she had longed for the feel of his skin and how deeply she felt for Wallace.

It was a long minute before she let him free of her kiss, but she highly doubted that he was complaining. It had been two weeks with only letters for contact. Deirdre could imagine him leaning forward and pressing his nose against the parchment for her smell. It was all dreams and assumptions on her part; romanticism. She hadn't been able to help doing so herself, because she had been able to smell Wallace on the thick paper. It wasn't as if he had rubbed his face all over it, but she swore she could smell the scent of his hair, too. Deirdre remembered giggling as she had given every one of her letters a tiny spritz of her honeysuckle and passion fruit perfume. What were they, young lovers? Well, yes, smiled Deirdre inwardly as she rested her head against his chest.

Wallace beamed as Deirdre began to look somewhat relieved. I guess I did do the right thing, then, he thought, feeling quite relieved himself. The last two weeks of overwork, of sickness, of exhaustion...it was all meaningless, now he was with Deirdre again. Two weeks was far too long to be away from the woman he loved. Now she seemed to cheer up slightly, the smile could not be removed from Wallace's face. And when she kissed him, it was all the better. Feeling as though he was melting, he kissed her back enthusiastically, quite unwilling to let them part. He was sure he'd have plenty more opportunities to kiss her, though. Wallace bent his head down as they parted, kissing the top of her head and drawing in her scent. God, how he'd missed her. He wasn't letting two weeks without her go by ever again.

"Alright, love, how's about I take you out for something to eat and then we'll do anything you want?" he suggested, sweetly, before adding with a sly wink, "we could even go back to my place, if you wanted..." Chuckling lightly to himself, he squeezed Deirdre tightly and apparated away with a crack, landing at a small cafe just a street away from his apartment. "To your tastes, my lady?" he joked, with a foppish bow. Oh, he was ridiculous, but he couldn't help himself. He was utterly crazy about Deirdre, and he loved it. He absolutely adored her, loved her, and wanted to make every single moment with her count.

Deirdre adored the way he would kiss her forehead as though she was the only person on earth. Being in his arms felt like the safest place in the world to be, and it may as well have been. She could just imagine him brandishing his wand at an attacker and cursing them into a pile of dust if they went to hurt her. She would surprise him, too, if someone went to harm him, for Deirdre was a Gryffindor after all and would annihilate anyone who even looked at Wallace in a menacing fashion. She wanted to cuddle for a while longer but she also wanted to get moving and enjoy the day. What was going to happen now? Wallace soon answered that question with a suggestion of lunch and the promise of more. Deirdre blushed but her lips curved into a knowing smile. No matter what they did today, it was all going to end up in one place. After their first afternoon together she decided that she had been cruelly deprived for her entire life and that she would never go two weeks without him/it again.

She laughed heartily when he bowed to her. He was ridiculous; she loved him. Deirdre placed one foot delicately behind the other and curtsied like a proper lady, but leaned in and whispered into his ear "Aye, but there are better things to taste as well, my dear." Her face was angelically innocent, but there was no denying that what she had said was blatantly insinuative. Oh, she was such a tease (and didn't he know it already). Deirdre was leading him along on a string, and she did a very good job of concealing the fact that she herself was utterly under his spell. She liked to tease in order to make him feel that she was in control, but in reality she was just as prey to his sweetness as he was to hers. But there was nothing malicious about their fun, which was what made their time together so wonderful; they were so utterly and completely themselves around each other, naughty but in a mischievous way. "Shall we have lunch here or go to where ye're staying and have room service? I'm up fer anythin', but I feel like privacy." asked Deirdre, tilting her head to one side at him and trying to look innocent.

Wallace met Deirdre's knowing smile with a smirk of his own, knowing they were on the same wavelength. Yet another thing he loved about Deirdre. She was sweet and beautiful and angelic...and yet at the same time she could be naughty, and he loved that too. Well, he couldn't find a single fault with Deirdre, really. He was absolutely smitten, and he could not be happier. He'd never met anyone like her before and in such a short matter of time, he'd already told himself on more than one occaision that he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. He was completely ridiculous, that he knew, but he couldn't help himself. Deirdre either brought out the best or the worst in him, he hadn't decided. Perhaps it was both.

Isolde was out for the day, with her boyfriend, Wallace suspected, and Christa was back in London, visiting their mother, so they had the apartment to themselves. Perfect. "Sounds good to me," Wallace said, with a wink as he, too, attempted to look innocent - and failed miserably. Of course, he was finding it difficult to keep composed when Deirdre said things like that. Thank God it's about a one minute walk to my place, he thought, grinning sheepishly, as he took her hand and began walking. Wallace was such a confident man - but Deirdre had complete power over him. In what seemed like an age - but what was barely more than a minute - they were stumbling up the stairs to the apartment, and the second they were inside, Wallace's lips were once again claiming Deirdre's, his kiss full of desire and passion.

Deirdre smiled up at him as they walked, loving the feeling of her small hand nestled in his. It really felt like they were lovers, then. She hoped one day that they would be married, although anyone could tell them now that it was too soon. But some time ... she could see them together. Deirdre could even see tiny children at their feet. But for now it was just the two of them, and Wallace had the uncanny talent of helping her to forget every thought that was plaguing her. In the end, there was nothing she could do now to console her sister, and it would have been rude to turn up early when there was so much drama going on. She needed Wallace, too. The letters had only made her heart ache, especially when they became incoherent with Wallace's sleep deprivation. Deirdre worried constantly over everyone but especially him. Today would be their day, just the two of them.

Well. They could get to the emotional bonding later. The physical bonding was a demanding call at the moment. She hadn't meant to drive him wild exactly, but nevertheless she would 'suffer' the consequences of her teasing with relish. Deirdre found her lips being covered by Wallace's and she grinned and dragged them back onto the sofa. The bedroom was too far so for now they could wrestle here for a bit. Deirdre broke away from the kiss to nibble his ear heavily, kissing down his strong jaw and back to his lips again. Damn, he was handsome. Every time she looked at him, Deirdre got the shivers. She loved his gorgeous skin, soft curls and absolutely spellbounding kisses. She just loved him in general. Deirdre told him so without realising it as they kissed, at every free breath. "I love you," she would whisper as she kissed his eyelids, his nose, anywhere. Just keep holding me, she thought.

Wallace happily allowed himself to be pulled down to the sofa, smiling beneath every kiss. He, too, could not help but constantly give declarations of love, both verbally and in his actions. "I love you," he whispered back, whenever he had regained enough breath to say so. They were making up for lost time here - all those years they hadn't known each other, in fact. The rest of the world could wait. For now, it was just the two of them, and that was all they needed.

((Seven hours, forty-three minutes and twenty-eight seconds later ;) credit to Amanda))

Wallace lay back, closing his eyes with a relaxed smile on his face, as he slid an arm around Deirdre and held her close. This was happiness. Whatever else they had to worry about, it hardly mattered. They were young lovers and they could forget all their problems with each other. Of course, they had to come back down to earth soon, but for now they would just enjoy the moment. "I love you, Deirdre," he whispered, kissing her on the forehead. "You're the most amazing girl I've ever met and I love you, even if you reduce me to sounding like a soppy, lovestruck fool," he chuckled, turning to face Deirdre with a gentle, loving smile.

The potent happiness that ran through her body while in Wallace's arms just didn't seem natural. How can anyone be as happy as I and not simply explode where they lay? thought Deirdre, unable to keep the smiles off of her face as she looked at her lover. She did not feel that she deserved to be as happy as she was when there was such pain surrounding her on all sides, but surely everyone had to have their sanctuary? Wallace was her sanctuary. Deirdre could be reduced to tears and yet all she needed at the end of the day was to be in his arms and she could do it all again. When he kissed her forehead she could have cried for joy. Such a tender gesture made her heart ache with love for him. "What did I ever do to deserve someone as wonderful as 'ye?" said Deirdre, her eyes glittering with emotion. "My love..." Oh, now she was getting just as soppy as he was. But she couldn't help herself.

Deirdre looked in Wallace's eyes again, resisting the urge to kiss him breathless so as to be able to ask him her question. Running her fingers over his jaw, she looked at him tenderly. "Do 'ye think we could make this ... us ... official?" Deirdre blushed. Well, they were already in love and had shared intimacy several times, but she wasn't sure whether to announce it to her family yet. Would Wallace be too embarrassed? "Ye see, I ... I want us to be together for a long time. I figured we may as well start now. 'Ye are ... the best thing that's ever happened to me. So maybe ... 'ye would have me?" she asked, blushing, trembling and smiling all at once.

How he had ever lucked out like this, Wallace would never know. If he was one to believe in fate and destiny, he would say it was so. But he wasn't. In any case, it seemed like the best of luck that he should have happened to meet her, and a good decision on his part to go after her, even if he did say so himself. He certainly hadn't regretted following her on that day. He missed her every moment they were apart, and he felt like he was falling more and more in love with her by the second. Why, if he hadn't met her, he'd be slaving away, bored and lonely, dealing with his insufferable parents and elder brother with only Christa there to help him. But now he had Deirdre - someone to love and to love him in return. Oh, no way he would ever let her go. He'd found the woman of his dreams.

And that was why, when she asked her next question, Wallace simply grinned like an idiot and nodded vigerously. "Why, of course!" he exclaimed, pulling her in to a bear hug. "My lady Deirdre, I love you. I want to be with you for just as long, if not longer," he explained. "Of course I'll have you. In fact...I was going to ask you the same thing," he chuckled, kissing her again. Now she was his lover, his girlfriend. Wallace could not be any happier.

"Wallace!" said Deirdre in delight, rolling on top of him and squeezing the life out of his poor ribs. She was not as strong as Artemis but still tough-as-nails, so her hug was strong enough to floor any bloke. But she was too delighted to spare him just yet, and so squeezed him till his ribs creaked. Deirdre released him and then proceeded to smother him in kisses, which was probably more to his liking. Having successfully kissed the breath out of them both, the overjoyed young woman lay back upon his shoulder and smiled goofily up at the ceiling for a moment. To think that she was Wallace's girlfriend; his love, his partner. It was too good to be true. If only her sisters could be as happy as she was now. Just as soon as her joy had come, it faded slightly under the weight of one sister's grief. It bore down upon all of the family. Their dear Artemis was suffering as none of the other siblings had, yet they all felt her pain starkly. Suddenly Deirdre imagined losing Wallace, just like that. Without thinking, she gasped and wrapped her arms around his waist as if to reassure herself that he was alive and well.

"Oh, my love." she sighed, lifting her soft hazel eyes to his face and imprinting the contours of his jaw to memory. "Only now I've recalled my need to visit my family. I have missed them so, and that I have to see them only in such tragic circumstances is hard to bare." Deirdre kissed his chin lightly. "If only I could take 'ye with me." Technically, she could. No one in her family would mind if she brought her partner; in fact, it might just make the unhappy time just that little bit happier to see one of their sisters succeeding in a happy relationship. But Deirdre doubted that Wallace would want to accompany her to a funeral. She needed his support more than ever, but it wasn't fair that he would have the suffer the discomfit of mourning someone he hadn't even known.

Wallace laughed to himself, hardly able to contain his joy even when Deirdre was practically squeezing the life out of him. Okay, it hurt a little, but he didn't mind much. He loved her too much to mind. And when she started kissing him, it was even better. His smile was probably just as goofy as hers, and he couldn't care less. He was happy, he could've danced around the room like a maniac for how happy he was right at this moment. But he felt the sudden change in heart, and this time the embrace was less joyful. In a comforting manner, he wrapped his arms around her to reassure her that everything was alright - but he'd damn nearly forgotten the news from earlier in the day. Oh, he thought, and immediately felt terrible for being so selfish.

"Love, if it is permitted, then I will go with you," he said, defiantly. "I want to support you and be there for you when you need me...if you wish me to, that is." He could barely bring himself to be without her, and to leave her alone in her time of need would be unimaginable. He couldn't imagine how she must feel - or worse, how her little sister would be - but Wallace would be there, if Deirdre said so. After all, he would do anything for her.

Her eyes widened slightly as Wallace offered to go with her. Deirdre felt as though a great weight had been lifted from her shoulders and she visibly relaxed against him. "You don't have to," she mumbled, but it was clear that she wanted nothing more than to have him with her when the time came. She wondered then whether they would be together long enough to consider marrying, as one was prone to do when one is in love. Unlike some though, Deirdre considered this more seriously. She could not imagine a better boyfriend; he was handsome, kind, loving and apparently head over heels for her, just as she was for him. Though they hadn't yet had the opportunity to test the boundaries, Deirdre would do absolutely anything for this man so that he would continue to call her his own. Already he had gone above and beyond what she had expected in such a short period of time; even comforting her during a family tragedy that he had no part of. Yes, if he asked it now she would marry him on the spot; but Deirdre did not believe in relationships that went so fast, and resolved to be patient till they knew each other better.

Now that she thought about it, she hadn't even met Wallace's sister. Unbeknownst to her, she was soon about to. But for now, Deirdre grinned and promptly leaped on top of Wallace, laughing as she buried them both under the covers to do questionable activities.
Continued in Pure Artistry
<i>
</i>

Users who are viewing this thread

Back