Books, Grades and Classes.

Kate Kingswood

OOC First Name
Tamara
Wand
Fir Wand 14 1/8" Essence of Sphinx Remains
Kate left the Ravenclaw tower with her bag full of school books and walked to the student lounge on the Fourth Floor Corridor. She seated herself on one of those big couches and opened her bag, receiving the The Standard Book of Spells, grade 1. Kate opened the big blueish book and started to read, Kate loved this book and was excited to have the class in the second semester. She was dreadful in flying and Kate wanted to talk to her Head of house so she maybe could drop the subject, she did not want to be in the Quidditch team after all. She tucked a stranded hair back and looked at the Lounge, it was pretty empty this time of the day. The The Standard Book of Spells was another thing, she loved this book and had been reading in it since the day that she arrived in Hogwarts. Charms was going to be a piece of cake, she wanted to be perfect straight O's everywhere, but she could not give a flying salamander about flying. Kate was a very patient girl, but in the flying classes she wanted to snap brooms in two, of course she would never do such thing after all she did not want to be expelled. If she would get a E or lower in another class she would beat herself up for it, she clearly had a desire to be perfect in everything. Kate liked everyone, but still had a hard time making friends maybe she was supposed to be lonely so she could preform better. She was thinking too much, she was getting a headache of all the thinking she had done. She closed the book and laid it next to her on a wooden table. Just placing herself in a more relaxed position.

Ai had just gone from her dreadful Herbology class and was well on her way to the Student Lounge for some relaxation. The Hufflepuff really didn't have a problem with the professor of the Herbology class. Professor Blackmoore was very nice and kind and Ai loved that about the professor, what she had troubles with was the subject itself. Plants. The young girl could never understand them. How is it that she could cook food well enough, transfigure properly, do a proper spell, understand History, brew potions, fly well and manage a few defenses cannot even get a single property of a plant stuck in her head! It was impossible! But now, in the batch of Hufflepuff fourth years, it wasn't. But nevertheless, Ai was contented with the grades she was having, she had more acceptable grades this time and managed to avoid the D's and T's in her classes. At least she was doing a good job at it at the moment.

The Hufflepuff had already reached the fourth floor corridor and was suddenly debating on whether she would indeed stay in the Student Lounge as the dormitory a few feet away from her sounds tempting. As well as the library just ahead. But shaking her head, she decided to go with her initial decision. The Student Lounge. Ai entered the said facility and took a good look around. There weren't many vacant seats and most were occupied by Slytherins and Gryffindors. The Hufflepuff didn't get along with most from those houses. It wasn't long before she found one that looked friendly enough and as Ai took a good look, she guessed the girl was a first year. Putting a smile on her face just like the new person she is now, Ai approached the young girl with a smile. "Mind if I sit beside you?" she asked curiously, a smile present on her face and her tone a friendly one.

Kate laid in a comfortable position on the coach until she heard someone speak, she rose up from her seat and brushed over her robes. ''Of course I do not mind, go take a seat.'' Kate muttered in a clear voice. The girl was a Hufflepuff no doubt about that, she was in a older year than Kate she looked older maybe third or fourth year. Kate did not know is she had to introduce herself, but could not help herself. ''I am Kate Kingswood'' Kate said with a friendly tone in her voice. ''You?'' Kate asked, she looked at the girl. She opened her bag again and stuffed her Charms book back in the bag. Kate was still thinking about flying, she hated it and the Professor had given her, her first E. Kate hated this fact and hated Flying even more for the bad grade.

She searched in her bag and found her potions homework, she wanted to give it one final look before giving it to the Professor. She knew this had to be a straight O it looked perfect in every way possible, Kate had even write it twice. Kate liked all the classes that had books or lots of homework, she was kind off a nerd in that way. ''Do you like the classes?'' Kate softly muttered to the girl, Kate wanted to know everything and was very curious sometimes a little bit too curious.

Ai was grateful that the one girl she had found was quite friendly and not to mention, a bit formal and smart. "Thanks!" the Hufflepuff said in the friendliest way she could muster. It was quite hard for Ai, being friendly and all, but she never did mind being with those younger than her. They just seemed more innocent and less mean, unlike some people her age or older than her. They were either plain mean, buttheads or just didn't really like her. "Ai Edogawa. Nice to meet you Kate," the older girl said with a smile, her Japanese accent showing in her voice as she spoke. She always had the accent like she was saying a poem, after all, English was never her first language.

Ai had taken a seat and made sure that there was enough space for the younger girl to sit on as she pat the space beside her. She didn't want to be sitting down while the girl would be standing. That would be just plain rude. The fourth year was quite surprised by the sudden question that was raised by the first year. "Oh, I do!" Ai said giddily. She just love lessons and classes, especially Divination and Arithmancy. Electives were just as fun as the regular classes and she had to admit, even though they were hard, she knew that she would be able to pass if she just worked hard. "I just love classes, maybe except Herbology," the older continued, giggling a bit at her confession before asking, "How about you?"

Kate could hear the girls Japanese accent shimmering trough her voice. She smiled at the girl and seated herself next to Ai. Kate liked classes and especially the ones with lots of Homework, she liked the fact that the girl from Hufflepuf liked classes too, she was sweeter than some of her classmates were they just ignored her. The girl did not like Herbology that was weird, Kate absolutely loved it caring for the plants and handling dangerous ones. The girl giggled when she said that she did not like Herbology what happened in that class. Kate thought about it for a couple of seconds, but it was not something she wanted to know the details of.

''I love all the classes even Herbology, but I hate Flying.'' Kate replied to the Ai her question ''I guess brooms do not like and I do not like them. '' Kate joked about the topic, but hated it with every inch of her body. Kate did not want to join the Quidditch team anyway and never had the ambition to fly a piece of wood. Her face changed from angry to sad when she spoke about Flying, she had her first E from flying and was still beating herself up for it.

Ai was just plain dreadful and awful when it came to Herbology. It was not like she didn't like the subject so she decided to flunk it. In fact, it was the other way around. She was always flunking whether it be Herbology or Botany resulting to her dislike for the subject, but nevertheless, she still does try to attend them with all her might. The Hufflepuff was quite surprised at the younger's revelation. Flying? How could flying be so hard? When she was a first year, she remembered being excited for lessons every time and fun as well! How could anyone find Flying hard?! This was seriously confusing the Hufflepuff. "Flying has been the easiest subject for me when I was a first year," Ai asked, tilting her head a bit, showing her curiosity and confusion.

"Hmm... Well, they take commands well," Ai shrugged and gave out a small smile when the younger revealed that the brooms do not like her. Sure the brooms were rough around the edges, especially the old and ragged ones and the ones that you really don't own, but most can get through to them after a while.The brooms were just plain cute when Ai thought about it now. "What do you not like about them?" a tinge of curiosity showing in the girl's voice. The Hufflepuff had not missed the change of expressions on the girl named Kate. It had shown anger and sadness. And she just had to wonder why.

Kate listened carefully to Ai and found Ai easy to listen too. Kate liked books and the problem with flying was you could not read it in a book, you need to learn it by practising and Kate hated things were she was no good at. ''Flying is my worst by far.'' Kate muttered to the girl in lesson three they had to fly, Kate did not fly or even hover the brooms did not like her and it was showing. ''The up command does not even work for me'' Kate paused and looked at Ai ''I have to take the broom the Muggle way'' She said with a bit of shame in her voice.''And if that is not bad enough I got my first E there'' Kate almost cried and looked at Ai with watery eyes. ''Oh sorry, I should not bother you with my first year problems'' Kate knew she had already said too much and tried too look away, but could not the girl seemed genuinely nice to her.

Ai just had to be surprised by the information the younger had just revealed. Really? How could Flying be that bad? she thought, mostly to herself, but she couldn't blame the girl for it. After all, everyone has their own weakness, not to mention that she also has her own. Basically, Herbology and Defense Against the Dark Arts. "It's okay. You can always work harder to be better at something," she told the girl comfortingly. Ai wasn't surprised that the girl couldn't do the Up Command. There were only mostly the purebloods and the gifted ones who could do it at first try. Even in her lesson during that time, there were those who had trouble with the command, and not being able to do it at first. "Well, some of my classmates had that problem too, so it's pretty normal, especially if you're not a pureblood. I wasn't able to do it at first too, but I never stopped trying," she said with a small smile. It was always nice having her broom around to practice with during her first year, of course. If Ai was surprised by the girl being bad at Flying, the Hufflepuff was shocked that a grade the girl had in Flying was E! How can anyone be bad with a grade of E?! her head screamed as she struggled to keep a calm composure. "Surely an E isn't all that bad. I mean, I get those a quarter of the time, and half of my grades are even worse. But it doesn't mean that I don't care about my studies," she explained. Well, it was true. She even had the worst grade, a T, but she knew that she just has to work harder the next time. "Just keep practicing with your broom. It's never not allowed to practice," she said, a cheerful smile grazing her features, actually hoping that the girl would cheer up instead of cry. "It's okay. It's normal for students to have problems. I also had my share when I was a first year like you."

Kate was glad that the girl listened to her and was not complete ignoring her like some of the other Ravenclaw had did. ''How could you not hate flying?'' Kate said to the girl and paused in the mid of her sentence, ''It got an A in lesson 3'' Kate said with a venomous tone in her voice. ''I need to be perfect and this is not Perfect'' She muttered to no one in particular. But a Hufflepuff did not have to be Perfect as a Ravenclaw, she had to show she was smart. Kate thought and a troubled expression showed on her face. ''Yeah, Practise makes Perfect right?'' Kate knew the motto, but Flying was not something you could read in a book. Kate liked Hogwarts, but if she got ever more fails she would break down soon and she did not want a conversation with her head of house. She was glad to hear that she wasn't the only first year with problems, she had some and no one to talk about them really. Ai listened even when she had stuff to do, probably homework. ''And how is your ehhm.. Year going?'' Kate had no clue in what year she in and she did not want to make a false guess, her guess would be a 3th or 4th year. Kate always asked things politely and could have adult conversations with her parents even when she was only 11. Kate has missed her Alison lots of times when she arrived on Hogwarts, she did not like her, but she missed her Fairytale personality.

"Well, I guess the same way you can't hate Herbology. Flying and Quidditch are really special to me and I was enchanted when I first experienced it," Ai explained with a smile. One may say that she had fallen in love with it and hasn't let go of it even in her fourth year of playing Quidditch and third year as part of the team. "I got a T in my Herbology last year as an average," the Hufflepuff revealed with an embarrassed smile on her face. Ai only listened as Kate muttered something about being perfect, and Ai understood what the Ravenclaw was trying to do. "You know, I don't really believe in perfection. But, I believe in being better from practice," she said while taking in her surroundings, filled with students from other years and houses. "I'll tell you something," she said with a gleam in her eyes as she began to talk.

"You guys believe that Hufflepuffs are all nice and kind, right? Heck, even some believe that those who get in Hufflepuff are the left overs that aren't wanted by the other houses," Ai said, clearly having remembered those occasions when she knew that other people thought that Hufflepuff was a useless house. Ai would not have it of course. She valued her house, even more than before. "But we're not perfectly nice, kind nor obedient. Just look at me or our Quidditch captain and you'll know what I mean. You see, each and everyone from out house is different, but each one of us has something that ties us to it," the girl explained. Ai never thought that she would be like this in her whole life and never did she expect to be placed in Hufflepuff but as she grew and spent more time in the castle, she was beginning to understand why she part of the yellow house. "We do not need to be kind at all times because we are who we are. There are some in our house that are fitted to the other houses. We do not strive to be the expected nor the perfect Hufflepuff, because if there's one thing I experienced here, it's that your house and Hogwarts changes you at some point that you need not force yourself," she took a deep breath and smiled. "If we met when I was a first year and you were the same age as me, you would have gotten into a fight even though you had no intention to," Ai giggled from the memories coming back to her head. Oh if only this girl knew how much the older had changed through the years! "My point is, you do not need to perfect every class and be sad if you don't get an O. You don't need perfection to be a true Ravenclaw. Mr. Sorting Hat put you there not to become perfect, but because he knows that you will be that best you can be before you leave Hogwarts in that house. It's not that he wants you to perfect everything. It's that he knows that you love to learn or want to know more. That's what makes you a true Ravenclaw."

Ai sighed at Kate's question. How's my year? she thought to herself, pondering on the question a bit. It was most probably her worst since she entered Hogwarts. But the older smiled before answering, "Well, in terms of academics, I guess I'm doing better that I did last year. But in other terms, I guess it's the worst," the girl paused. She was thinking of her situation with her twin. "But my older brother said that everything's going to be fine in the end. You probably know him since he's one of your prefects. Ryuuji-niisan, that is," she said with a smile on her face, remembering her older brother figure. Also, Ai hoped that Kate would be able to get though her problems, she really does.

Kate loved Herbology, but could see the point that someone could hate Herbology she hated Flying. Kate would need a serious conversation with her Head of House if she got a grade even near a T. Did the Hufflepuf just catch her need to be perfect mutter, the Hufflepuff did listen. How could she practise something she did not even like, she hated flying and was glad she only had one semester of flying lessons. All Hufflepuffs were kind, even her book described them as Kind and Loyal, but they were not left over they were people that were extremely loyal and kind. If they were not kind why were they put in Hufflepuf in the first place? Yes, she was eager to learn and she was smart. But not being perfect would be weird, she was always perfect she did never get a not passing grade. Oh, her brother was her Prefect, she knew the boy she had seen him at the Ravenclaw meeting she liked him and saw up to him, he was were she wanted to be.

She said her year was the worst in other terms, but Kate did not ask anything she did not want to barge into her personal space. Kate tucked a loose hair back and looked at Ai, she hoped that Ai's year soon was going to get better, she had already gave up on her flying carrier. It would kill her if she got an A in Potions, she liked that lesson and getting an A would say she had failed. ''Dont you ever think that you failed something when you got an A or an T?'' Kate waited and spoke again ''Or that you did not give your best shot while trying?'' Kate had to take her own advice in, this was exactly what she did not do with flying she never practised what made her fail even more. If she lost House points, because of she could not fly that would be unfair and Kate hoped she never lost House points in her seven years at Hogwarts.

Ai was glad that Kate didn't disagree with her or have an argument with her. Of course, the Hufflepuff didn't mind an exchange of opposing opinions as she was not against hearing the younger's thoughts as well. It was always nice sharing opinions and ideas, debating on who's right and who's wrong and in the end, realizing the other party's point of view. But Ai knew that such a discussion was unimportant as of the moment. The Ravenclaw's dilemma was much, much more significant at of the moment.

"Well, I do get disappointed and frustrated at first," Ai replied at the young girl's statement. "But, I began to think that at the time, I did the best I could. And the next time, I have to test my limitations, exceed it if possible and be better as I continue to grow," the Hufflepuff pondered as she thought of the different reasons of her failing grades. She tried to do her best that time and it was in a different condition from now. "How do you know when you've given it your best shot, Kate?" the older curiously asked. Ai had her own point of view of knowing if someone had given his or her best and she had to wonder on the Ravenclaw's own point of view.

Kate was not the kind of girl that was disagreeing or having a opinion that did not collide with others, she always listened and accepted the opinions of others and that was something that made her a Ravenclaw. Kate listened to Ai and took in her words, she knew that it was kind of true, but still a fail grade was not acceptable for her. ''If I get a fail grade, I know that was not my best.'' Kate muttered it quickly, almost too quickly, but she could not accept the fact that a A or less was acceptable for her.''I don't want to fail you know?'' The Ravenclaw spoke with a understanding tone in her voice.

The Ravenclaw did not know what to do next really, she did not want to have any more failing grades, that would make her go into a mental breakdown, her parents always said that they loved her no matter what and no matter what House she should go in they would still love her. The Ravenclaw wanted to be perfect herself and wanted to get an O average. Failing was not her best and she would study or practise more, she knew that she would get Defence against the Dark Arts in the next semester and was already dreading it, Kate stood for everything that was good in this world and some dark curses were not part of that world.

"Well, it's good to hear that you have your mind clear about that," Ai said, a smile present on her face, glad that the younger had her own ideas about being at best. It was always good to know that there are others' opinions to consider. Well, it was never wrong to hear others' ideas as well as sharing their own. In fact, for the Hufflepuff, it is those kinds of events that makes conversations the most meaningful they can be. "I think almost nobody wants to fail," Ai said with a giggle barely heard by the human ears. "It's just the circumstances that made you fail that makes the difference between acceptance and denial if you did do your best," the fourteen-year old said as she began to look around her surroundings, beginning to think of the near future that lies ahead of her.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back