An Unlikely Friendship

Stella Lagowski

OOC First Name
Claire
Wand
Straight 12 1/2 Inch Sturdy Vine Wand with Hippogriff Feather Core
Stella stood in front of the fire in the Hufflepuff common room, clutching a glossy piece of paper tightly in her hand. She wasn't sure whether to be happy that her Mother had written, or angry that she had also sent Stella a magazine article, which had been carefully cut out of a muggle magazine. She supposed it was kind of her Mom to update her with what was going on back home, but she couldn't have read the article properly, or else she'd have known how upsetting it was. Stella screwed the article up and threw it into the fireplace, taking great pleasure in watching it shrivel and burn. It wasn't enough. The words of it were printed on the back of her skull. 'Stella Lagowski takes seven year break from acting to pursue her education'. What did they know? Her Father must have said that to the press. Of course he did. He could hardly tell muggles she was going to Hogwarts, could he? But that wasn't the worst of it. 'Will Stella be just another child actress who is forgotten about by the time she reaches adulthood? Is she giving up her career in acting for good?' The worst part was, Stella couldn't even do anything about it. She was helpless, stuck in a school in New Zealand, unable to defend herself against the gossiping muggles.

Stella prised her gaze from the fire at last, hoping she wasn't going to cry. Not that it mattered here, of course. With a quick glance towards the clock, Stella decided to head somewhere she knew she would be left alone. Besides, she had homework to be getting on with. She didn't even care about her Wizarding grades, but studying gave her something to do to pass the time and fill the empty hole inside her. She picked up a roll of parchment, headed out of the common room and into the library.

The musty smell of old books was welcoming. Until now, Stella had never enjoyed reading, but books had suddenly become an escape from the mess her life had become. The library was quiet, mainly because everyone else was eating dinner in the great hall, and Stella was one of the only students who hadn't joined them. She couldn't. The mere thought of food made her stomach churn. She briefly shot a nervous glance at the librarian, before settling down in the corner with a History of Magic book. She shifted around in her chair, trying to find a comfortable position that allowed the light of the evening sun to illuminate her book through the window. Eventually, she settled down and began to read, but she couldn't stop fidgeting. It was no use. She just wanted to go home.

It was dusk and soon after dinner,students would pour into the library..Some would come for homework and research..Others just come for light reading..Rhi especially love it when many students come in and opened the countless books that the massive library held..Rhi had gone to dinner early so as she could somehow supervise the library just in case some students would need her help..She had gone into her office to freshen up and collect the necessary files that she wanted done while manning the library..Thankfully,no student was disobeying the library rules..Of course,nobody wanted to be in detention returning the books to their proper places without using wands..Rhi laughed to herself at that thought..She remembered when she was a student in this academy before that she heard other students experienced that kind of detention..

Shaking her head in amusement,she went out of her office and was on her way to the librarian's desk when she noticed a student came in..Odd..Dinner wouldn't end for at least half an hour more..Why is she early?,she wondered..The student glanced at her and without a smile continued her way to a corner table with a History of Magic on her hands..Rhi squinted her eyes..She knew that student..She couldn't be mistaken that this student here was Stella Lagowski,daughter of a famous film director in California and a child actress as well..The last thing she heard about her was she had taken a break from the spotlight for at least seven years to pursue her education..Now that she saw Stella in front of her,the piece of news made sense..Seven years..Seven years of magical education in Hogwarts..

Rhi decided to approach the girl and tried to somehow make a conversation..The library was still quiet and empty for anyone to be disturbed..Heck,it was only her and Stella in the library at that moment.."Hello,dear..Good evening..Homework?",she asked,indicating at the book the girl was holding.."You seemed early..Dinner was not yet finished..Did you already eat?",she inquired softly,studying the girl up close..

Stella had only been reading for a few moments before a figure appeared in front of her. At first, she didn't look up, assuming that they had come to her corner of the library to find a book, but as soon as the woman spoke she realised it was directed at her. Stella glanced down at her History of Magic book, wondering how to answer her question. If she told her it was homework, would she think she was stupid for not knowing such basic information already? "Uhm, yes," Stella said quietly, closing the book. "I've got to write an essay on Merlin for my History of Magic class," she added, studying the face of her acquaintance and quickly realising it was the Hogwarts librarian she had passed on her way in. She was a very pretty lady, Stella noticed, wondering where she had come from and how she had ended up here. Stella couldn't understand why anyone would want to come back to Hogwarts after they graduated, but then again, it was quite a beautiful place for someone who wasn't missing home so much. Nowhere really felt beautiful or amazing if it didn't feel like home, and Stella's best memories had been made back home. She wasn't even sure she was really supposed to be a Witch. It just didn't feel right at all. For a start, all the magic was making her head spin.

Stella paused for a moment. She didn't particularly want to admit she wasn't enjoying her time at Hogwarts, as everyone else seemed to be having the time of their lives, and she would appear ungrateful for the 'gift' she had been given, but there was no dodging the fact she was too uncomfortable to eat properly. "No, I feel sick," She admitted ruefully, lowering her head. For an actress, she was doing a terrible job of concealing her feelings. "It's probably just a bug or something. Maybe I'll go to the hospital wing in a bit," Stella smiled, hoping that would be enough to convince the librarian she was all right. The truth was, Stella wouldn't even know where to start explaining how she was really feeling. It was messy and complicated, and to be honest, she didn't even know what the matter was herself. She was feeling more emotions than she could handle, and the whole thing made her want to cry. "Do librarians get to live at the castle?" Stella asked, trying to change the subject and conceal the fact her eyes were beginning to water.

When Rhi decided to approach the child actress,she was expecting to see a confident girl,at ease in her surroundings..After all Stella Lagowski was used to being on the spotlight..But now that she was standing in front of her,Rhi couldn't help but noticed the simplicity that they young girl has held..She smiled when Stella answered her positively about the homework..She nodded understandingly..Rhi,herself,recognized the homework,having done it also herself when she was a student.."Ah,Merlin..It seems like Prof.Spenser has given you the first lesson material for this term..Yes..I remember that homework too..",she said wistfully..She remembered the days when she also holed herself in these aisles and aisles of bookshelves..She was not an outstanding student but she managed to keep up with the school work..

When Stella asked her whether she lived in the castle,Rhi couldn't help noticing the longing in her voice..Shaky and if you would closely,her eyes were beginning to water..Maybe she missed the limelight..But then,students would know who she was here..,the young lady mused..Taking a deep breath and sat down on the chair opposite the girl,she was trying to figure out how to answer the question.."Yes,we have to live here since the library is open until the evenings..This would give students the opportunity to finish some homework,like you,while the others want the solitary ambiance the library offers to do some thinking on their own..Away from the classmates and the buzz of the school..",she answered with wisdom.."Nevertheless,I also have a house here in New Zealand..I just moved back after graduating here..",she also added..Folding her hands on the table,she held Stella's eyes as she spoke,"You see,Ms.Lagowski,some people don't really understand the magic this school holds..We may come from the different lives but when we walk through those oak doors,our lives came to be intertwined with one another..You may not see it literally but give it some time and you will..The memories you will make here will help you grow more into who you are..Give it some time and you will learn to love this place..",she concluded,patting the girl's hand softly..Rhi didn't know why she said those words but maybe because she could see herself in Stella..To be away from home and the life she was used to and to be thrown headfirst into an entirely different world and a different life..She smiled brightly,trying to lighten up the mood.."So,how are you settling in?Have you made any friends?",she asked with interest..​
<i>
</i>

Stella's mouth formed a soft smile as the librarian mentioned her homework. It seemed odd to think that the woman in front of her was once Stella's age, completing the same homework tasks in the very same library. She still couldn't understand why anyone would want to come back to Hogwarts after their seven years was up, though, but as though she could read her mind, the librarian quickly answered that question. She spoke with a lot of wisdom, as though she were much older than she really was. It was almost as though she could sense how upset Stella was, and was doing her best to comfort her. Perhaps I'm not as good at acting as I thought, Stella mused, listening to the librarian in awe. She seemed to be confident in what she was saying. "I.. I guess. But what if you feel like you don't belong here?" Stella asked, since her new acquaintance was extremely good at explaining things to her. Stella wondered if there was more to magic than met the eye - whether this lady was right about magic intertwining everyone together, making them a family in ways that couldn't be explained. No, that can't be, Stella thought, or at least she hoped it wasn't. If there was some kind of magical power keeping everyone in the school together, was she eventually going to start loving everyone? She almost shuddered, the thought of it making her blood run cold. Hogwarts just wasn't the place for her, and she knew it. Regardless of any magical power bonding the students together, Stella would never like it here. She was already starting to regret the question she had just asked.

Amongst her thoughts, something began to dawn on Stella. The librarian had referred to her as 'Ms Lagowski', yet Stella had not yet introduced herself. "Oh," She said, feeling slightly disappointed. Even though only a handful of students at Hogwarts knew who she was, it was a handful too many, especially if they decided to tell their friends about her. "You know who I am, don't you?" She asked, but it was rhetorical since she already knew the answer. "Yeah, I've made a few friends I guess, but.. well.." Stella could feel the words rising in her throat. Ever since she had arrived at Hogwarts, she'd wanted to tell someone how she was feeling, and this librarian did seem nice enough, after all. "Well, I don't like it here because everyone's super clever and I didn't even know magic existed until a couple of months ago and if anyone finds out how bad I am at magic and they know who I am then they'll probably make fun of me for being so stupid and not knowing anything so I'm trying to keep up but it's all so hard, and the Muggles at home are saying things about me and I'm not going to be able to act again for seven years and I miss my Mom and I really really want to go home," Stella gabbled, hardly even pausing for air. You idiot! Stella thought to herself, instantly regretting telling someone what was on her mind. That was a big no-no, especially in the Muggle world, but it was dangerous at Hogwarts, too. She felt a surge of anger take control of her, and with all her might swept the book she had been reading off the table. It shot across the room, skidding to a halt on the polished floor, but not before several of its loose pages broke free and scattered around it. The book had been heavy, and Stella was left breathless and wondering what the consequences of her actions were going to be.

Rhi smiled at Stella's question..She seemed to be hiding her true feelings but she could somehow sense them..Her mother might be right..She should have been a Seer instead of a mere staff..Her mother's words,not hers..She could see the child actress listening to her in awe which made inspired her to give more inspiration..She gave the question a thought before answering.."Honestly,I was in your shoes once..Being a Mixed Blood and felt like you don't belong..But it only took one word with seven letters to change my outlook..",she smiled.."Friends..I could say that I was not that friendly when I was young but there are people out there who would always reach out to you no matter how hard you push them away..",she said knowingly..She had seen how this young girl,Danielle Corelli,treat her as a friend..From what she gathered from Ms. Corelli's parents,she was bred to be confident since she would be the next heiress to their business..So,it was to the librarian's surprise to see such an adorable Hufflepuff as the young Danielle instead of the snobby rich brat that she had imagined..Looking at Stella,she said,"So I suggest,dear,that whoever friends that you have right now,treasure them and don't push them away.."

Rhi was about to ask her another question when Stella asked her something that seemed to make the young 'Puff go slightly pale.. "You know who I am, don't you?",she had asked..Rhi managed a small smile before she answered..She had heard stories from the students about Stella being an actress but she already knew that the moment the young girl stepped forward for her sorting..Judging the girl's face,she didn't want to make Stella uncomfortable and go back to her shell and go on hating Hogwarts.."Yes,dear..I know you..You are Stella Lagowski,first year Hufflepuff..In fact,librarians have to know all the students..It's part of my job.."She was hoping that would make the girl relax..

Rhi smiled pleasantly when Stella mentioned having friends..She nodded encouragingly but then Stella's answer wavered and it only took seconds before she exploded..Just let it out Stella..It will make you feel better..,she thought..When Stella accidentally flung the book resulting to its pages breaking free,Rhi just smiled at her before waving her hand,making the book float,mended its pages looking like as new as before and sailed back towards them,landing softly in front of Stella.."Stella,dear..Making mistakes is part of learning and through this,it will help you grow into who you want to be..That is why you are here,right?To learn all the things that you need to learn..Don't be afraid to ask for a friend's help or teacher's help if you can't understand something..I assure you,to ask questions is better than to pretend that you know everything..",she patted the girl's hand before leaning back on the chair.."It's natural to miss home but that is where owls came in..Send them a letter,every day if that makes you feel better..Trust me,this works..That is how I live my first few months here..IF you feel stressed from the school work,come visit me here for tea or go to the lake for some fresh air.."The young librarian could not believe that the day would come where she would pass on her own experience on how to deal homesickness..​
<i>
</i>

Stella looked down at the floor, feeling guiltier than ever. The librarian explained how important friends were, but Stella wanted to disagree. She refrained from pointing out that friendship was pointless and unhelpful, and instead sat in silence as she listened. One thing that helped her relax was that the librarian didn't seem to know who she was after all. That made her feel better, since she'd just told her all of her deepest fears, and telling that to someone who might admire her was a terrifying thought. "I don't just feel like a mixed blood who doesn't belong, I feel like a muggle who doesn't belong. I just happen to be able to do some magicky stuff too," Stella explained with a sigh. She knew the librarian was being kind and helpful and all, but Stella wasn't feeling any better for it. She might have done, if she had been willing to listen and take her advice seriously, but the young Hufflepuff was stubborn and believed she knew what was right for her.

Stella watched as the woman used magic to fix the broken book. She breathed another sigh of relief, glad she wasn't going to get into trouble for damaging school property. "Thank you, miss," She said feebly, not sure whether she had gained anything by talking to her or not. At least she knew one thing, now; the librarian would be there for her if things were getting too much. Despite feeling slightly irritated, she was still grateful for that. There weren't many people that Stella could count on, and knowing that she was there for her made her feel a little better. "Honestly, thank you. That's really helpful," Stella said. She wasn't lying, she was sure the advice the librarian had given her really was helpful, just not to Stella. She wasn't interested in hearing about how she could overcome her homesickness. She just wanted to find a way to go home. "I think I'll go down to the lake tomorrow," She added truthfully. "And maybe I'll write a letter to my Mom. She's sent me several but I haven't written back yet. I kind of forgot I could, actually.." Stella admitted guiltily. "Oh and thank you for repairing the book. I think you saved my butt there," Stella gestured towards the book. It seemed to be in better condition now than it had been before she'd thrown it. She sighed. Magic was so powerful, so why couldn't she just enjoy her new life?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back