An Energy Boost

Sam Prince

OOC First Name
Louise
Wand
Black Walnut/ Maple Wand 12 3/4" Essence of Silver Thistle
It was a Saturday, a day free of classes and Sam liked to spend it out on the quidditch pitch. Today he got up extra early and practiced harder, he didn't know why he had a certain rush to get all this practice in, he just did. The morning was cool and crisp and had a thin layer of mist just above the grass.

But Sam had completely lost track of time and ended up missing his lunch. He only realised this as his stomach growled in protest. He rolled his eyes at his own stupidity, now he'd have to wait until dinner was served. Unless..? he thought to himself hopefully.

Sam quickly landed his broom and made his way up to the castle and then into the Kitchens. He had only been in there once or twice but he was starving after only having a slice of toast for his breakfast, he needed something filling. Once he entered, the house elves were too busy to notice him come in so he made himself known and explained his story.

After getting their approval Sam made his way to the large table full of all sorts of food. He spotted himself a loaf of bread and cut two slices, he then buttered them and put some ham and some salad into it. Sam heaved himself up onto the edge of the table and took quite a large bite into his sandwich.

Hope you don't mind

Patricia was lazing about in the common room flicking though her box of old notebooks. After a while she came across her recipe book. Realising she hadn't been cooking in a while she took the book and made her way down to the kitchens.

When she arrived she said a quick hello to the house elves, who by now were used to her coming in and out of the kitchen at odd times and cooking a lot of different things.

When she turned round she saw a familiar person eating a sandwich, "And what do you think you are doing down here?" She asked with a sly smile on her face.

No its fine

Sam grinned a little sheepishly when he saw Patricia, "Missed out on lunch." he said after swallowing a bit of his sandwich. "Got a little carried away on the Quidditch Pitch." Sam admitted, it was something that occasionally happened though not as bad as today. "What about you?" he asked her looking at the book in her hands. He couldn't see what type of book it was wheter it was a little light reading, a school book. He didn't know instead of asking her Sam just continued to eat his sandwich while waiting for her answer.

Patricia nodded, "Oh right," She said as he explained he missed out on his lunch. "You do take your Quidditch seriously, don't you?" She asked with a light laugh. Anytime she had seen this boy he was coming to or going to the Quidditch Pitch or had something Quidditch related with him.

"Oh," She said when he asked her what she was doing down here, lifting up the book she had in her hand she said, "Decided to catch up on some cooking. With the cooking club not hitting off to the best this year, I though I would come and do some myself." She said with a shrug.

"A little." he said. "Its like all I do." This statement was almost completely true, he did do other things- sleep and eat and hang out with his friends, but quidditch was the other thing, it was just a part of him.

"Your in a cooking club?" Sam asked her, not even realising that such a thing existed. Sam was an awful cook, the most he could cook was toast and he wasn't sure that counted. Although he never had actually been taught to cook he knew he would be terrible at it. "What kinda stuff do you cook?" he asked her before taking another bite out of his sandwich.

Patricia laughed, "I never would guessed that." She said, sarcasm easily recognisable in her voice. "Yeah, it's a shame the Quidditch season never picks up around here. I haven't had a chance to fly that Streak you sold in the summer since that day a few of us went down after the party." She said sighing, remembering that didn't even quick off the best it should have.

Patricia nodded, "Yeah, I co - run it." She said, "Well, when we have meetings that is." She said with a shrug. With Harriet leaving and Ellie just coming back she didn't know if there was much point trying to make a stab at another meeting after the introduction one at the beginning of the year. Patricia shrugged, "Anything and everything. I love cooking. Mum was a chef so I was brought up around it." She explained. "What about you?" She asked. "Can you cook?"

"Yeah, whats with the lack of..well..quidditch playing?" Sam asked her. He had been looking forward to trying out for the team for a long time and it had never kicked off. "Seriously? Geez, cut down on the cooking take a spin on the streak." Sam suggested with a laugh. "Did I tell you my parents bought me a streak for my birthday? So thats kinda another reason why I'm out on the pitch so much." Sam admitted.

"I have the same cooking ability as a cockroach.." Sam said quite seriously though he had a wide smile on his face. "So what were you planning on cooking today?" he asked her, finishing off his sandwich.

Patricia shook her head, "I don't know. At least last year we got to tryout for the team, this year," She cut off, adding a shrug she said, "I don't even know who our Captain is." laughing slightly at the stupidity of that fact.

Patricia stuck out her tongue playfully, "For your information I've been lacking behind on my cooking as well." She said, "Hence why I'm here. But I must get out soon, these past few days have been perfect flying weather." She said peeking out of the window near the roof just looking over the grounds. "Oh wow! Nice." She said impressed, "I had to buy my own ruddy broom, but it was money well spent." She with a wide grin.

Patricia heard the seriousness in Sam's voice but couldn't but laugh, "Oh you couldn't be that bad." She said covering her mouth, it was rude to laugh but she couldn't help it. "Mmm I'm not really sure." She said flicking through her book, "What do you think, sweet or savory?" She asked, that was always the hardest thing to decide for her.

"Woah...well what am I saying 'Woah' for either do I. But I suppose your on the team...maybe you should know." He sniggered at this fact. It really showed how Hogwarts New Zealand was uninterested in Quidditch.

"Well if you've been slacking on quidditch and cooking, what exactly have you been doing? And don't say school work 'cause that'll kill me." he laughed. Joking of coarse, he didn't know if Patricia was even an academic student. In fact he didn't know a lot about her.

"No seriously I am! Like I burn toast to an extent where I'm not even sure it counts as toast anymore." He said with a grin. "Hmm...sweet? Personally I can't tell the difference so.." He admitted, not really knowing if sweet was the better to choose from.

Patricia glared at Sam, "I'm not the only one." She admitted. "The rest of the team aren't really sure either. I know last year it was Caysi but she's left now, so I'm stumped." She said with a shrug. "It's a shame though. Quidditch just never seems to take off as much as people would like it too." She said with a sad tone.

Patricia rolled her eyes, "OK I won't tell you then." She said playfully. "There is nothing wrong with been studious, but no matter how much I try I just can't keep up with all my work." She admitted, she hated that fact. She was always proud of how well she did in her classes but this term just hadn't been working out too well for her.

Patricia laughed shaking her head, "My dear boy, you need help." She said patting on the shoulder. "Sweet it is then." She said beaming, hoping he would say that. Opening her book to the index she looked though the sweets she had wrote up about. "Mmm, what do I want to make today?" She muttered to herself as she continued to look though the names. Then she stopped, smiling to herself she looked up at Sam and asked, "Have you ever had rocky road bars?"

"So..we don't even have a captain?" Sam asked smacking his hand to his forehead. He would make sure to look into that when he was older. Being on the team would be one thing but being the Captain would be incredible. He never even imagined himself as a captain of any team before, but the thought excited him so.

Sam rolled his eyes jokingly when she said there was nothing wrong with being studious. "So second year is a lot of work is it?" he asked her. He was barely keeping up now how was he supposed to manage this year or the year after? Sam didn't really want to think about it. All he could do was his best but he sometimes he wished that his best was a lot better.

"I need help?! Says the one who spends her time studying." Sam laughed and nudged her elbow as he got off the table. As she asked him had he ever tasted rocky road bars Sam shook his head. "No...what are they?" he asked her. He really was clueless in the cooking area.

Patricia laughed and shrugged her shoulders, "I truly and honestly have a clue Sam." She said shaking her head. "I know, it's silly, but it doesn't look like the Quidditch season is going to pick up anytime soon, so it doesn't matter." She said truthfully, Not that it ever picks up she thought to herself.

Patricia thought for a moment, "Not particularly." She said lamely, "It's harder but the spells are a lot more fun." She said happily, "And the work is more interesting." She said referring mainly to growing their own mandrakes in Herbology.

Patricia laughed mockingly, "Yes you need help." She said nodding her head, "Any 12 year old boy who can't cook toast, needs some form of help." She said jokingly. "And so what if I spend all my time studying?" She asked rhetorically, putting her hands on her hips.

Patricia beamed, "Here." She said handing over her book showing the picture of the first batch of rocky road bars that she had made, "They are chocolate mixed together with biscuits and marshmallows, really east but so taste." She said enthusiastically.

(( :oy: Sorry!))

Sam nodded, "I guess your right." He said deafeatedly, there was no more hope in preteneding that it was going to pick up anytime soon. The small matches he played with his friends would have to do him for now.

Sam was glad that there was an extra amount of work in second year, but he didn't like the sound of 'harder'. "I see." he said still thinking about him going to be a second year. It was just weird, this year seemed to go by quickly and slowly what with all the drama.

Then Patricia showed him what she was going to cook. Sam leaned over to look at the book, "Yum. They look good! Oh make them!" He said the last bit excitedly, "I'll be your expert taster." he grinned at her.

(I'll forgive you......................this time)

Patricia patted Sam on the shoulder, "It's OK. It's not the end of the world." She said laughing a bit. "I wonder how many Hufflepuffs would be up for an end of year match? Seeing at the start of year one didn't work out too well." She said with a sigh leaning back on the counter.

"Don't worry about second year, I remember being in the same situation as you are now, all too clearly. It may seem scary now, but once you get back into the swing of things, you'll be fine." She said encouragingly. "Anyway how to you think I feel. I'm taking on four electives in third year." She said remembering the meeting with and giving Professor Weiss her options a few days previous.

Patricia laughed and rolled her eyes at Sam getting excited. Taking out her wand she summonded chocolate, marshmallows and some buscuits to the counter. Dipping down she took a few bigs bowls and asked at Sam, "So are you going to help me or just make me do all the hard work?" Jokingly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back