Accio Something Fun!

Sophie Kain

Sophie had been surprised at being placed in a completely different house to her sister, though it was hardly unheard of. She had been disappointed at first, in the knowledge that she and Katie could not easily plan their pranks, but then again, Sophie would probably benefit academically from the separation. In a mopey state, Sophie had wandered down to the dungeons, hoping to find a good distraction. It was dark down here but she didn't take her wand out to light her pathway. No, Sophie was still so unsure of wands. They were so.. weird. She was from a muggle family and had only seen the one Robert owned when she had looked through his bag just prior to her first year.

Walking in the darkness of the dungeons, her mind on Katie, Sophie brushed her hand across the wall to her left, across some material which she assumed was some form of decoration. The darkness was like a thick black blanket over her eyes. She took out her wand to light it but her memory had failed her there. "Oh, bother!" she said, having forgotten the incantation and, in her haste as she moved, tripping over her own feet. She landed on the floor with a small. "Argh!" Her wrist was suddenly hurting a lot. Most of the dungeons had some form of illumination but this particular strip was pitch black, even though it was only late afternoon.

James had grown tired of the present company in the Slythein common room, the only people at his level of his maturity shunned him for simply being a first year and the other first years were all immature idiots so he headed into the dungeons. James liked the dungeons because even on the lightest of days the dungeons were still dark, damp and gloomy and he loved it. As the dungeons lights began to dissapear behind him and he stepped into total darkness he pulled his wand out of robes and waved it slightly, "Lumos," he whispered. Light ereupted from the tip of his wand and he used it to guide his way through the dark abyss.

He didn't know how far he had walked into to endless corridor but he began to hear a voice at the other end. It was female, he knew that and she didn't sound happy. He just continued walking listeing in amusment until it went south and she let out a yelp of pain and he broke into a sprint down the corridor pointing his wand at the floor until he found the girl. "Hey," He said trying to determine is she was hurt, "are you alright?" James asked.

Sophie heard the sound of someone running towards her and, a moment later, a burst of light hit her in the eyes. She threw her hand up, instinctively, to shelter her eyes and looked to the culprit, squinting. The light was moved slightly from her eyes and she could make out a boy of about the same age. Perhaps if she had paid more attention at sorting, she would have known him. "I.. I'm fine." Sophie said stubbornly, clambering to her feet. She was desperate to be independent now that her and her sister had been split up. Enlisting the help of another would surely only make that situation more painful.. wouldn't it?

Sophie stood before the boy, remembering only now the incantation for the spell. "Lumos." she breathed, looking at her wand and then up to the boy's face. Well, though she was not of an age to truly be interested in boys yet, Sophie couldn't deny that he was handsome. He was also rather tall for a boy as young as Sophie thought he was and though she was not of short stock herself, his height still surprised her. Not wanting to make friends, having already been hurt by her twin sister 'leaving' her, Sophie took the hostile option. "What are you doing in the dungeons, anyway?" she frowned, trying to seem like she was ten times tougher than she was. But she couldn't help blushing. Without Katie, Sophie was helpless, a lost soul.

James smiled as the girl chose to help herself up rather than take his hand. She lit her own wand and moved up shine in James' face. He looked down at her, she was quite pretty but he didn't want to focuse on that. What he didn want to focuse on was the fact that she was acting coldly towards him, something he had done to others many times. She seemed to be intentionally detaching herself from James as if she didn't want to make friends, this was a decision James could respect, "I'm in Slytherin, I practically live in these dungeons," He said looking at the crest on her robe. "Long way down from your common room isn't it?" James asked moving his wand away from her and down towards the empty corridor. "What brings you down to our domain?" He added not waiting for an answer to his previous question.

Sophie shuffled slightly. If he was a Slytherin, he may have 'backup' waiting just around the corner. She thought their meeting was probably completely random, but still, one could never be over cautious when it came to such matters. "I'm.." It took Sophie a moment to remember why she was there. But it soon came back to her like a speeding bullet. "I was looking for fun," she answered as confidently as she could. "I-" she had been about to mention how much she missed her sister's company but thought better. That was one thing being at Hogwarts had taught her; keep to yourself if you want to stay out of trouble. And, of course, she'd heard that muggle-borns were disliked. She'd had plenty of explanation from a girl in her common room who had warned her about Slytherins. "It's none of your business." She replied again, folding her arms, wand light still showing. Sophie didn't doubt he was intelligent but she had heard Slytherins were cunning. He was probably plotting something. She looked over her shoulder, into the darkness, and then looked back.

James stepped back, "Woah, going on the defensive much?" he said, it was clear that she didn't feel comfortable with him. No doubt it had something to do with the colour of his robes and the serpent on his crest. "You were looking for fun? In the dungeon?" He asked slightly amused at the girls statement. "Its not the most entertaining place in the castle but I guess it does have a certain charm to it," He said looking back at her, "What, not even a smile?" He asked. Clearly he wouldn't get any sort of reaction from her, then her saw look back down the corridor. "You looking for my backup?" He asked smiling, "I haven't even made any friends in Slytherin, trust me no one in that house would back me up, happy now?" He asked moving his wand back to her.

Sophie gave him an odd look. She didn't know what to say. People hadn't stood up to her in the past but now they had nothing to be scared of. They all had wands. This boy was quite different to the other people she had met but she couldn't place her finger on it. "What's your name?" she demanded, trying to reclaim some form of authority. Of course, she would have no real defense if he got hostile. Sophie had never liked boys, had always found them to be mean or just generally idiotic. Maybe this one was different? .. But why did she care, anyway? She didn't know the first thing about this boy.

James smiled, "This lights killing me, Knox," He said extinguising his light, he pointed his wand at one of the unlit lanters, "Incendio," He muttered and the lamp was lit. He sliped his wand into his robe, "Thats better, hi my names James, and you?" he said ignoring her demanding tone. It was clear that she was not used to being stood up to and what she was used to was being in control and being dominant in the conversation but she was in for a surprise because James was used to the same thig and he wasn't going to give up his control.

Sophie pocketed her wand. She wasn't sure if she agreed to introducing herself.. But she did it anyway. "I'm Sophie Kain." She said formally and a little snootily. She had no idea if anyone knew her brother, Robert, who was currently attending Hogwarts, or her twin sister, Katie. However, what was on her mind right now was not her family, but the boy standing before her. She planned to remain stubborn and cold towards him for as long as they both remained at Hogwarts. But maybe, in the future, all that would change.

Sophie had yet to truly understand blood status but she had been told that she was a muggle-born and that she would get a lot of stick for it. Of course she deemed this unfair but she was in no power to change it. She was considering just shaking her head at this boy and leaving but she just couldn't. Where was the fun in that? "So.. Family," she started, "do you have any siblings?" it was a question with an answer which would help Sophie establish a better picture of the boy she stood with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back