A Trick Up My Sleeve

Katie Kain

Katie grinned as she put her plan in to place. She had put glue on each of the seats. A lot. And it was super glue. But invisible. She nodded. Katie, if this works then it will be one of your best pranks ever, she thought. I really need to meet up with Sophie again. Maybe she could help me come up with even more tricks.... She giggled softly so nobody would hear her if they were coming down the hallway. She heard light footsteps. She leaned against the wall, making it look as if she were reading a textbook. She really was watching to see if her plan would work. She saw a girl walking down the hallway. Would she fall for it? Or would another trick be seen before it happened?

Ashlynn had just come in from a short jog. Her parents, even if they were apart, still stressed staying healthy, especially when she was away from them. She wiped a few beads of sweat off her forehead, re-arranged her ponytail, and fanned herself with the collar of her bright blue t-shirt. It was a rather nice day, perfect for running, but she was still tired. After almost a month without serious exercise, she was just getting used to it. Looking around, Ashlynn saw a few benches lined up along the walls of the hallway. A girl reading a textbook was leaning against the wall next to one of them. Ashlynn smiled. So she wasn’t the only one up this early. Walking over, she waved to the girl and sat down in one of the seats. She heard a sort of squishing noise but thought nothing of it.

“Hey,” she said to the girl. “I’m Ashlynn, nice to meet you!”

Katie laughed inside of her head when she watched the girl sit down. "Nice to meet you, Ashlynn," she said, smiling. "I'm Katie Kain." She was worried that the girl would get mad. Only if she said something about it would she say that she did it. Oh no, she thought. She's nice, I can tell. Hmmm. I know what I'll do. She closed the textbook. She took a seat next to the girl, ignoring the squishing noise.

"So how are you?" Katie asked. I really hope that this doesn't rip my skirt! Forget being nice, this came in the bundle, I can't just buy it separately! I'll have to buy the whole bundle again, she thought. Then again, a friend is worth er, way more than a skirt? It's just a skirt. I don't really care. What was I all worked up about?

Ashlynn could have sworn she heard that squishing noise again. Whatever, she told herself. You're probably just hearing things 'cause you're exhausted from that darn run. She smiled at Katie. "I'm good," she replied. "I just went out for a run. My parents are always reminding me to keep fit and blahblahblah. As if I couldn't do it myself." She rolled her eyes affectionately. Even if her parents were divorced and they couldn't stand being around each other without fighting, she still loved them. And even though she knew that one day, she would most likely have to pick between them like her brother had to, that day was still far off in the future and she figured she ought to enjoy her time with them both while she could. "I was surprised to see somebody up this early though. Thought I'd be the only one." She gestured to Katie's textbook. "You studying or something?"

"I don't think people need to remind me to keep fit," Katie said. "I like to run and stuff. But that must be annoying when you don't need to be reminded." Suddenly her foot was all tingly. "Darn it, my foot's asleep. I'll get up and walk around on it." Before she had time to think, she got up. It had been hard because the glue was sticking to her skirt. There was a hole in her skirt. "Oh no..." She wrapped her jacket around her waist to cover the hole. She leaned against the wall next to Ashlynn. "Don't want to sit on one of those chairs again... And yeah. I need a little help in DADA and decided since this place has so much sunshine it would be a nice place to go." Katie sighed to herself. What did you just do, Katie? she thought. You ripped your own skirt. Nice job.

Ashlynn nodded, agreeing. It was nice for her parents to care about her so much, but she was feeling more and more independent. Her eyes then widened when Katie got up and her skirt ripped, some of it staying stuck to the chair. “Ooh, Defense Against the Dark Arts? I heard about that. Not much though. It sounds fun!” She eyed the bench warily. Now that she thought about it, she felt pretty stuck too. Good thing she’d worn sweatpants and not shorts today; it would be her skin stuck to that chair if she hadn’t. She tried to get up slowly, but nothing happened. Frowning, she braced her hands against the edge of the seat and pushed herself away. Rip! With a frightening ripping noise, she got up, half launching herself forward.

“Whew!” Ashlynn breathed a sigh of relief and turned around to look at the bench again. She laughed when she saw that a few patches of her sweatpants were left there. Nothing huge though. She could fix up her pants easily, and even if she couldn’t, it wasn’t much of a loss. “I wonder who did that! It’d be a fun thing to watch happen. Too bad I was the one caught in it. ” She nodded to Katie. “Was that skirt expensive? It’s a shame that ripped…these pants aren’t worth much and I always could fix them up later if I need to.”

Katie sighed. She hoped that Ashlynn wasn't mad. Thankfully, she said it wasn't much of a big deal. "I, er, was playing a prank," she said. "I didn't want a nice person to sit in it! I, er, I'm sorry. The only reason I sat down was because I felt bad for doing it and having you sit down. I really am sorry!" She hoped that Ashlynn would forgive her.

((Sorry for short post, a little tired))

Users who are viewing this thread

Back