A New Spot

Oscar Edwards

It was a couple of days since Oscar first arrived at Hogwarts. He loved it already. The castle was so magical, fictionous almost. But yet it was real. This was his home for the rest of the year. That thought scarred him a little, Oscar was never outside New Zealand and usually stayed at home, his holidays consisted of going to his grandmothers house way up the country. But this was so different, so strange. But he couldn't help but miss his family a little.

Oscar left Ravenclaw Tower quite early that morning. Classes hadn't begun yet which was nice, they got a chance to settle before the workload arrived. He wasn't that hungry to go down and eat some breakfast, he wasn't even sure was it served yet. So instead he went to the North Tower. He had been told it was beautiful but he hadn't been there yet.

Once he got there, he realised why everyone loved it so much. It was beautiful, especially on a morning as lovely as this one. The sun was just peeking out over the great forrest and was illuminating the sky with yellow and orange colours. He walked over to the window and looked out it. He began to think freely, not a concentrating think, just letting any old thing pop into his head. It was usually how he made desicions, he'd have to think things through.

In the short space of time he realised how lucky he was to be here in this marvelous castle with so many oppotunitys about to unfold. But he did start to think about his friends, Leia and River, neither was in Ravenclaw. He couldn't help but feel a little bummed out about that. They would probably just forget about him not wanting to talk to him. Yeah, that'd probably be how it'd go.

Leia was up early, as usual, the first one in her dorm awake. She cautiously tip-toed around the dorm, careful not to wake her roommates, and dressed in a casual blue, off the shoulder dress and some gold strappy sandals. She wasn't particularly hungry at the moment so going to the Great Hall was out of the question. She didn't know where else to go and didn't want to linger around the common room, so instead of heading down the castle, she wandered up wherever her feet took her. She decided to go visit the North tower since she'd never been there and would maybe have some time to herself to think.

As soon as she reached the top she noticed someone else there and was going to quietly retreat back hoping they didn't hear her but as soon as she realized who it was, a smile erupted on Leia's face. "Oscar!" she said happily, quickly closing the distance between them. "Hey! How are you?" she asked him, feeling like she hadn't spoken to him in ages though it wasn't really that long ago. She reached over and gave him a hug, hoping he didn't mind.

Oscar's train of thought was interrupted by someone else entering the North Tower. He looked at the figure at the side of his eye. It was Leia. He turned his whole head around to be squashed in a hug. He had never been given a hug by anyone his age before. His arms were flat at his sides. So he moved them up to her upper back then realeased her, saying a small "Hi."

"I'm good..I think.." he said with a small chuckle under his breath. "School is really nice. Though its a bit lonely up in Ravenclaw Tower." He shrugged, he was going to keep the fact that he thought she forgot about him. Though he was more than happy that she hadn't forgotten. "What about you Leia? Hows Hufflepuff, congratulations by the way." He added politely.

Leia giggled when Oscar seemed unfamiliar with hugging; truthfully she was too so the fact that she had actually hugged him really showed that she was starting to open up to the Ravenclaw boy. She nodded her head softly, agreeing that the school was nice but her lips curled downward in a frown when he said that Ravenclaw tower was lonely. "Aww I'm sorry," she said, feeling really dumb for saying that as if it were her fault. There was nothing she could do about it either which frustrated the brunette girl.

"Thanks," she replied when he congratulated her on Hufflepuff, "Congrats to you for making Ravenclaw!" she exclaimed happily, knowing that it was his first choice. "See, the Slytherin side of me was so minuscule the hat didn't even notice!" she added with a wide grin, remembering when Oscar seemed a little thrown off by her self-proclamation that she was a bit Slytherin. The more she thought about it however, the less she thought she had that snake side of her anyway.

"Eh, things are good for me," she replied nonchalantly shrugging her shoulders. "I wish I could join you up in lonely Ravenclaw tower, the Hufflepuff common room is always busy!" she said with a light giggle. "Are you excited for classes to start?" she asked.

"Thanks." he replied quietly looking down on the ground, he was glad that he had made Ravenclaw, in fact more than glad though he was awful at taking compliments. He looked back up at Leia and smiled to show that he was glad for making Ravenclaw, he felt that his 'Thanks' didn't sum it up well enough.

"Oh right. I forgot about that." he admitted, he never really saw Leia as the Slytherin type of girl. "Well I think the hat made a definite right choice." he said kindly to her. At least now if he ever needed to go looking for Leia he would just have to walk around the fourth corridor and he guessed that Hufflepuffs would help him out. Though if she had gotten into Syltherin he would have to go down to the creepy dungeons, he didn't hear such great things about them.

"Yes I wish you could too." He said to her, referring to what she had said about the 'lonely Ravenclaw Tower'. He was glad that it was more quiet than loud but if he had some company it wouldn't be too bad. "But at least we bumped into each other here right?" He said. "Most definitely!" Oscar exclaimed. "I'm looking towards Transfiguration a lot..though I can remember if its on our timetable this term. Do we have any classes together?" He asked. He only got a quick glance of their timetable.

"I think so too," Leia replied brightly when Oscar said he thought the hat made the right choice in putting her in Hufflepuff. When he said at least they bumped into each other here, Leia smiled and looked around at the view from the top of the tower. "Yup," she said softly, "it can be our spot if we ever need to talk okay?" she said to him seriously though there was a warm smile on her face.

Leia giggled when Oscar seemed excited for classes, it was so Ravenclaw of him, no not even, it was just simply so Oscar. "Oh I have Transfiguration this term," she said twirling her hair absentmindedly. She really couldn't wait to start performing magic with her wand since she had rarely seen any type of magic growing up. Leia wrinkled her nose in thought when he asked if they had classes together and remembered the timetable posted on the bulletin board. Lucky for her she had a photographic memory so it didn't take long for her to remember. "Yes!" she said brightly, "History of Magic and Astronomy," she explained though her tone of voice suddenly changed from excited to one of disappointment. Those seemed like the least interesting classes to her, since they required no wands. Hopefully being there with Oscar would cure her boredom in the class however, unless he liked those classes and paid attention.

"Definitely." He smiled. He hoped that nothing serious would happen that they would need to discuss, but maybe she just meant if they needed to hang out? Oscar hoped so. Though the reality was that something 'bad' would happen. It was bound to. He just didn't want to face that right now.

"Oh thats great! We have two classes together. This should be interesting, History of Magic and Astronomy. I wonder what they'll be like." He said, thinking aloud was something that he occasionally did. He was glad that at least there was two classes where he wouldn't have to sit by himself. "I better check out my timetable again." Oscar said letting a small grin escape onto his face with sheer excitement for classes to begin.

Leia smiled at Oscar's enthusiasm for classes but her forehead wrinkled slightly in worry. She had only made a few friends at Hogwarts so far, Oscar, Emma, and Noah, and she was perfectly happy with that, but the problem was that they were all Ravenclaws. Who would she sit with during class? Did they all know each other? Oh if only they did, because then they could all sit together and it wouldn't be a problem. But something told her that it was very unlikely they knew each other just yet.

She tried not to let the worry show on her face as Oscar continued to talk about classes. "Well, having a class with you shall be fun and all, but I'm not looking forward to History of Magic or Astronomy," she said playfully with an apologetic smile. "I would just rather have a class where we can use our wands!" she said excitedly, feeling her myrtle wand in the dress pocket she'd sewn in. She never really was one for history or lectures, she liked the 'hands on' type of learning.

Sorry for delay

Oscar nodded, "Yeah I suppose they might be more interesting. But I don't know if I'm any good at using my wand." He said with a nervous laugh. "I haven't used it yet." He admitted to Leia, many students already knew so much spells and Oscar didn't know any of them. He didn't know how they knew all of them. Probably from their parents. Oscars father was a wizard but he wanted Oscar to expieriance the magical world for himself not force feed it into his mouth. Which Oscar appreciated though a few bits of informatiom wouldn't go astray.

Oscar was also looking forward to classes with Gryffindor, so he could sit beside River. He was dreading Slytherin though. He would definitely try and get a seat beside Lisa or Tanner in those classes. "Have you explored much of the castle yet?" He asked Leia as he looked out on the grounds below them. He had barely done any.

[No problem!]

Leia smiled reassuringly to her friend and admitted, "I haven't used mine yet, which is why I'm so excited for it," she added with a shrug and a smile. Growing up and living with her mother, who pretended to live like a Muggle, Leia had been deprived from magic so any that she saw was just incredulous to the Hufflepuff girl, she couldn't wait to start performing some of her own. When he asked if she had explored the castle much, Leia shook her head as she said, "No sadly. Have you?" She looked down at the ground below them, watching specs of people walking to and from places, some in groups others alone.

Oscar felt a little better when Leia said she hadn't used hers yet either. That made the two of them. Though he expected there would be more like them- well he hoped there would be more like them. He then felt quite relieved that Leia hadn't explored the grounds either. It wasn't only him. Maybe he'd go around later, climb some trees. That was one of his main hobbies. He had a tree house back in his home and spent almost all of his time there. He doubted he could build a treehouse here at hogwarts...but maybe?...no! That would be breaking the rules. He reminded himself and snapped himself out of his stupidness. "No, I haven't been around them too much. I haven't really been around anywhere to be honest!" he said with a soft laugh.

Leia laughed when Oscar admitted he hadn't been anywhere just yet. "That's okay, we have all year to go exploring," she said with a mischievous yet playful smile. Well really they had about seven years total. She hoped the castle was big enough to find something new and exciting every year. "I've really only been to the gardens and the lakefront," she said, thinking that those didn't count as exploring much. There were those out-of-bound areas like the Forbidden Forest and the Cliffs that she was too scared to wander into yet. "I want to go swimming in the lake but I don't know if I'll get in trouble," Leia confessed with a giggle. That was so like her, to want to go into any body of water.

"Yeah we do." Oscar agreed, when she put it that way it made it seem loads better. He didn't have to rush into anything, just take it slowly- which is what he did most of the time. Oscar smiled as she said that she only been to the gardens and the lakefront. "Well at least you've been there. I haven't been to anywhere." He said in his soft voice which was barely loudly than a whisper, yet it was loud enough so you wouldn't have to strain you ears.

Oscar laughed into his hand, "I don't know if you're allowed to do that." Oscar was never one for water, if it wasn't for Leia he would have never been in the sea. He had never seen anyone swim in the lake yet but maybe they did? "You should try and see. Though don't even think about bringing me." He said with a light-heartedness to his usual tone of voice.

Leia shrugged her shoulders when he said at least she'd been somewhere. She smiled at him reassuringly and placed a soft hand on his shoulder as if to solidify the reassurance, letting him know that there was no need to rush things. She was reminded of the time they met on the beach when it took her ages to coax him into the water. Even then, Oscar hadn't been that far into the water before Leia had decided to get out and build a sandcastle together.

The Hufflepuff was brought back to the present when she heard Oscar laugh, saying he didn't think she'd be allowed to go into the lake, then suggesting she should see if it was. "I guess I'll have to find out if it's allowed or not," she replied with a grin, thinking perhaps she'd just hang around the lake one day in hopes of finding someone else swimming in it so that she knew it was allowed. Leia actually began laughing when he told her not to even think about bringing him. "I know," she said with a playful eye roll, "It took me long enough to get you in the beach the last time," she voiced her recent recollection, the tone of her voice coated with fondness at the memory.

Oscar smiled a little as Leia put her hand on his shoulder. She was really such a good friend. Oscar let his cheeks get a tinge of red on them as Leia said that it took her long enough to get him in at the beach. "Well that was different, that was my first time i-" Oscar couldn't believe he had just let the slip. May aswell finish the sentence. "-in the sea." Oscar had actually swam in a lake, it was a lake in the countryside near his grandmothers. Himself and his father swam in it a couple of times when they stayed at her house. "Besides I didn't know any of you girls and I am not so good with strangers." Oscar admitted, he figured he may aswell tell her the whole truth instead of a bit of it. Changing the subject slightly he asked, "Have you ever swam in a lake?"

Leia allowed her mouth to drop, rather over-exaggeratingly just to be playful, as Oscar admitted he had never been in the sea before. That thought was almost ludicrous to the Hufflepuff girl. Leia laughed as Oscar seemed embarrassed by it but it's not like she was going to stop talking to him because of it. She nodded her head and said, "I don't think I do well with strangers either." Well, at least not back in New York where everyone knew of her though they were still strangers to her. Here at Hogwarts however she was beginning to open up, slowly talking to people after reassuring herself that her "famous mother" secret was still a secret. She hoped that never got out. When he asked if she'd ever swam in a lake she shook her head no. "It can't be that much different than a beach can it?" she asked with a curious look on her face. The two bodies of water were probably completely different, the water temperatures, the creatures in them, everything probably, but she didn't know.

Oscar was surprised that Leia didn't really linger on the fact that he had never been in the sea before. But he was glad she didn't. "What are you talking about?" Oscar asked with a bit of a laugh, "You always seem so confident around people." Oscar said not really sure was this his place or not so he gave her a small smile to show that he didn't mean any harm by what he said. He was a little envious of people who could just get along with people so easily. Oscar could never imagine himself like that.

Oscar gave a small shrug as she said that a lake couldn't be much different from the sea, "I don't know. I wonder if there is creatures in the lake...?" Oscar trailed off thinking in his head then. He guessed there probably was creatures in the lake but he wondered what type. He presumed that there would be mermaids but the other ones made him wonder. He'd love to be able to see them, he did have that magical camera his father gave him as a gift. Maybe I should trip down to the lake and see? "Leia? I think I may join you at the lake." He blurted out not really knowing what he was saying. "If you don't mind of coarse." he added politely.

Leia chuckled but shook her head when he said she always seemed confident around people. Her newfound confidence was just that, new - so it was still a big deal for her to open up to people. She shrugged and didn't say much else on the matter.

Leia giggled when Oscar said out loud that he wondered if there were creatures in the lake. "I was just thinking the same thing!" she commented with a laugh. She had heard rumors that there was a giant squid but she hoped it wasn't true. When he said he was going to accompany Leia once again dropped her mouth in shock, over-exaggeratingly just to make fun of Oscar, and said, "Really?" with a hopeful look in her eyes. She hoped he would come, it would be so fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back