Odd Duck | Silver Snake Assitant |

OOC First Name
Kris
Blood Status
Mixed Blood
Relationship Status
Single (Not Looking)
Open after Daphne posts with Natalia

Ryan had become fully invested in Alexander's plight after hearing he had no idea who his father was. What better test of his skills of investigation and deduction than trying to find a long-lost father? The library had been his first stop, naturally, and Ryan already had a table staked out, attempting to spread out a long parchment containing a prominent pureblood family tree along its surface despite the parchment's determination to roll back up. He had figured pureblood families would be the best ones to rule out first, being the smallest group of wizards to start with. That and Ryan thought it'd be far more exciting if Alexander turned out to be the heir to some great pureblood empire as opposed to the son of a arithmancer or something more mundane like that.

Managing to angle his arms right, Ryan squinted at the parchment, running a finger along the various lineages trying to figure out which branch of the tree he was looking at would match the approximate age that Alexander's father could be. He out a huff when the parchment slipped around and rolled up with a defiant rustle of paper. Really, it was like Alexander's dad didn't want to be found.

Natalia had been frustrated in her weeks at Hogwarts so far. She had expected that finding acceptable people to befriend would be easy. She had imagined there would be a group of pureblood witches and wizards that were clearly better than the other students, and that she would be accepted into that group without a question. But so far, even finding the right people had been incredibly difficult. All of her classmates just seemed to be the same kind of unremarkable. And they all acted as if she was the strange one for caring about manners and propriety. It was frustrating. It was lonely.

The girl often found refuge in the library. At least there, it wasn't strange that she was alone. She was looking for a spot to sit, when she noticed an older boy spreading out a long parchment with a family tree. Natalia halted in her steps and looked at it, realizing it was of a well-known pureblood family. Immediately, her gaze went to the boy, who looked entirely unremarkable and even a little strange. But could he be someone important? She watched him for a moment before stepping closer. "Why are you looking at that?" She asked him quietly.

Ryan was just perusing a part of the family tree were two of the sons seemed to have both tried to name their own sons after their father and it was all getting very confusing. He was glad he wasn't named after either of his parents. He looked up when someone addressed him, taking a moment to wonder if he'd grabbed something he shouldn't, but surely it wouldn't have been so easy to get ahold of if so. They had a restricted section for a reason. "I'm trying to find my roommate's long lost father," He told the girl, glancing back down at parchment. "I thought he could be the heir to some long forgotten pureblood line, that'd be exciting," He said, leaning down some so he could look closer at the names near the end of the branches, looking for the most recent names so he could look them up.

Natalia was still hopeful that this boy was someone important, someone like her who was looking for pureblood connections at Hogwarts, until he said what he was really doing. Immediately, Natalia felt both disappointed and foolish for thinking he was anyone she should care about. She huffed. "That's ridiculous." She told him. "There are no pureblood families that would be so careless. We care about our families." She told him haughtily. "You clearly have no idea how any of this works. Your friend is probably nobody." She told him.

Ryan scrunched up his face when the girl told him his plan was ridiculous. It made sense to him. "But what if he was left off for a reason. Maybe he's the secret heir to a massive family fortune and his dad left to protect him," Ryan posited, not sure why the girl seemed to be so invested in this. "Besides, you can't know all the pureblood families are like that," He added plaintively, leaning closer to the parchment to look a little closer for any notable gaps. Honestly, looking at a family tree was probably a waste of time, Ryan would probably be better off looking through yearbooks or old copies of the Daily Prophet, but the family trees looked way cooler. "You don't know that," Ryan said with a frown when the girl called Alexander a nobody. He was more offended by the implication he didn't know what he was doing than any slight against Alexander though. She was probably right, but Ryan wanted to explore the more exciting possibilities first.

Natalia huffed in annoyance and frustration when the boy continued to spin a story that made absolutely no sense. Nothing like that would ever happen in respectable families. "I know most." She said. "And I know that nothing like that would happen in such families. The scandal would be too much." She told him. "You should write books with your imagination. Except they would be bad because no one would buy your plots." She told him, looking over at the tree with a frown. "This family doesn't even live in New Zealand anymore." She then informed him. "Hasn't for generations. You're wasting your time."

"See, most, not all," Ryan said, feeling a little smug. It felt a lot like when he argued with Nicole and she got annoyed enough that Ryan could win just by stating the facts. "But that's why it'd be secret, the scandal would tear the family apart," He said, tapping the parchment to emphasize it. He did frown when the girl mentioned one of the families wasn't even in New Zealand any more. That did kind of put a damper on his strategy and his ideas. "Wait, what else do you know?" He asked her, quickly making a note of the family she'd pointed out so he could rule them out. She had said some odd things, but she was clearly invested in some of this pureblood stuff, which Ryan might be able to use to help him narrow things down. "Are you sure there's no one who might have a secret long lost kid?"

Natalia bristled at the boy's tone when he spoke to her. "I would KNOW if there was a scandal like that." She snapped at him. "So that I don't know it just proves that it didn't happen." She said, frustrated by this boy and his refusal to take her at her word. But apparently him realizing she knew what she was talking about didn't make him back off, it just made him more interested in it. "I know that you're wasting your time." She repeated, tryingfor the cold sort of look her mother could use to shut anyone up. "I'm positively certain." She said when he asked her if she was sure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back