A Melodic Evening

Tabitha Viridian

OOC First Name
Troyee
Tabitha's mother had never approved of her playing the guitar, calling it 'too muggle'.
It was Tabitha's brother who had bought her her first guitar which she now had in her hands. It was actually second-hand, but she loved it all the same. She had gotten bored of the Common Room, full of stuck up people and was glad that the Lounge was almost empty. Lots of people had gone for dinner so she had some time to herself.
She breathed a long sigh, glad that she finally felt.. peaceful. Music was her solace. The second her fingers touched the guitar strings, the melody seemed to flow from her, like energy channeled into the guitar.

Tibby smiled as all her troubles left her with the chords. She noticed a couple of people looking, but her timidity had disappeared. It was just her and the guitar.

One thing that Elijah loved about Dinner time, was that it was the perfect time, to just go and play his guitar or visit a slightly more dangerous part of the castle. He loved hogwarts for it's many different parts and corridors and secrets. It was a magical school. It was for this reason, that he was once more walking to the student lounge with his guitar on his back. He loved going there, it was perfect for playing. So perfected and amazing. He stepped into the room and noticed someone already playing. He instantly recognised the tune. All My Loving By the Beatles. The girl playing played brilliantly. So much so, Eli hurriedly took a chair and sat himself in front of the girl. He brought his guitar round and began to play along. He played the exact same tune, only in a lower key, and it sound more of an accompany bit. he played quietly so that her guitar could be heard over his. When the song ended, Eli smiled at the girl excitedly.

"You're really good." He said in one short breath.

As Tabitha played, someone pulled up a chair in front of her and began to play along with her. She didn't look up, but she wasn't annoyed. She was appreciative. Usually, she would have been disgusted that someone was stealing this private moment, but in this case, they were sharing it. This boy wasn't half bad. In fact, he was good. She closed her eyes as the last few notes left her and then looked up at the boy.

"You're really good.", He was saying.

In spite of herself, she smiled, flattered.

"Thank you", She said quietly,"Well, you're not too bad yourself. I'm Tabitha, by the way."

Elijah smiled and gave a small curt nod to the girl in front of her. He strummed his guitar and politely flushed red. He knew he was good, and so was this girl. It was all that he could do. He loved to play and it was obvious this girl did too. Tabitha. That was a nice name. Different, he'd never heard anyone called by that name.

"Thank you. I'm Elijah, it's nice to meet you Tabitha" Elijah said smiling at the girl. "Where did you learn to play?"

She repeated his name in her mind, committing it to her memory.

"It's nice to meet you, too", She said uncomfortably. She hated being polite. Then she looked down at her guitar, running her fingers over its powerful surface.
"I sort of taught myself since my mum didn't approve of lessons.", She explained, her hatred for her mother apparent,"So I can't read much music. I play by ear. How about you?"

Elijah nodded, he too had learned from memory. Listen by ear and repeat, it was in Eli's mind as soon as he heard it the first time. This was the only way to learn. Elijah gave a little laugh of same for me. His foster parent's didn't approve of new music. They didn't like Elijah playing. But They were never in, so half the time they didn't know he was playing.

"I taught myself too, my foster parents don't like music." Elijah said with hate in his voice as well. "I play by ear, and I taught myself how to read music. I could help you if you ever wanted me too."

Tabitha raised her eyebrows in surprise. Their stories were oddly alike. She didn't like the idea of being taught how to read music, but she would have loved to learn. She could read music to an extent, but when it came to writing she tended to go wrong.

"That's weird, how we have that in common",She commented. She bit her lip nervously and then went on,"Well, I guess I would like to read music better... I mean, I know quite a bit already.."

Elijah nodded, slightly awkwardly, his insticnts were telling him that the girl was maybe a bit awkward around him. Maybe Tabitha sensed that he was a hufflepuff, and unless she was too, most got awkward around him and his house. He didn't think she was a Gryffindor, but how could he really know. There was little to distengish a person by there house. He strummed his guitar and slowly began to play a tune he had made himself.

"Do you write music, like make stuff up?" Elijah asked "You seem pretty confident in your playing, I don't think there is much to teach."

Tabitha could sense some discomfort between them. Great, Tibby, She thought to herself, annoyed, I'm so socially incompetent!
Then Elija began to play something else. She listened, drinking in the tune, momentarily distracted. She shook herself out of her reverie to listen to what he was saying.

"I don't write at all. I'm far too lazy", She said, the corners of her mouth twitching,"But I do make stuff up. I don't remember any of it, though"

Daryl saw the girl he was talking to before, he pointed her out and said "It's you". He then saw a new face, a guy he wants to be friends with. "Well Hello There" he said to the boy who seems nice.

Elijah continued to play away, he wondered about the best way to do this. He stopped playing and began to strum away. It was the tune to Umbrella, a really simple tune, but it was barely recognisable as he was play an octive lower and in the minor key, rather than in the slightly major tune that song was usual played in.

"Copy me" Elijah said, over his playing. He wanted her to to mimic his playing so that they'd be able to move onto something that was a little different, and if Tabitha knew the tunes, she'd pick up with her ears the similar chords and being able to know which chord was which would help in her reading of music.

Tabitha gave Elijah a nod and listened to what he was playing. It sounded vaguely familiar but she couldn't seem to place the tune. It was easy to find the right notes after she adjusted her playing to the same minor scale and got the rhythm. Her fingers slipped for a second to produce a completely incorrect chord that ruined the melody for a moment. Rather than pausing, embarassed, she burst into laughter she continued to follow the tune. It was the first time she'd cracked a smile since school began.

Elijah smiled as the girl rather than give up when she made a mistake, continued on while laughing. He himself let a little laughter slip from his mouth. He began to play faster and to a less steady beat wondering if the girl could keep up. Eli continued to over his guitar smile at the girl. If this girl was a Slytherin, then she was one of the nicer slytherins. Elijah looked down at his guitar and switched key, from the minor to the major. And the tune became more recognisable.

"You're doing Awesome." Eli said.

Tabitha was grateful for some decent company, rather than the people she had met so far. She carried on playing, once again altering her notes to major from the minor key in which he had been playing.

"Thanks", Tabitha said simply, swallowing her pride enough to not say that she didn't have to be told what she already knew. Then, suddenly curious she asked,"Which house are you in?"

Elijah knew the question would come, they were first years and this year was all about finding out who everyone was. It would take the majority of the year. Elijah smiled at the girl, just hoping that the houses wouldn't come between the small friendship they had. He stopped playing and continued to smile.

"Hufflepuff. What about you?" Elijah said a little nervously

Tabitha stopped playing, too, and looked down, amused and surprised by that fact that her first 'friend' was a hufflepuff. She always assumed that Hufflepuff was full of prissy, dependent people with no real talent or personality whatsoever. Had he told her that he was a Hufflepuff earlier, she would have passed judgement on him. But now, her outlook on Hufflepuff had changed. Elijah definitely had talent and a personality and didn't come across as prissy at all. Well, she couldn't be blamed for being stereotypical. Most people assumed that Slytherin were a bunch of rude and ignorant students.
Clearing her throat, she looked back up to answer him, "Slytherin. And to tell you the truth, I wouldn't have taken you for a Hufflepuff at all. But I suppose you've changed my assumptions about your house."

Elijah wasn't too surprised, but he smiled at Tabitha. He was surprised that one of his first few friends was a SLytherin. Of course, he wasn't predujuce and he didn't think that houses meant anything. The were a forced title. Rage Against the Machine. That was what to do. Break the barriers and just be friends with anyone and everyone. Elijah felt that this was the only way to go about things. He continued to smile at the girl.

"I'm glad that I have. And you've proved my theory, that it really doesn't matter the house. It's the person." Elijah said with a small smile at the girl "What's Slytherin like?"

Tabitha nodded at his theory, although she knew that as she met more people, she would judge them anyway. To answer his question, she thought about the goings-on in the common room. The Slytherin First Years were very childish. They had started some 'Evil' club that all the 'Evil' kids joined and they were probably going to proceed to turn the world into their Evil Empire. It was ridiculous. She hadn't spoken a word to any of them, knowing that they would keep their distance, too.

"Well, personally I think they're a bit... fatuous", She said with a shrug,"They think they're a bunch of Renegades when really, they have nothing better to do with their time than form stupid clubs!"

The slumped back in her seat, suddenly annoyed.

Kaitlyn drifted towards two first years having a 'chat.'
She smiled at them, pretending to sit on the floor and listen. 'Don't mind me.' She said sweetly, looking at her ghostly nails.
'I don't think you should be talking about other houses like that.' She said sternly, and then giggled. 'But I wont tell anyone.' She tapped her nose.

Tabitha watched the ghost as she floated towards them. Tabitha rolled her eyes at the ghost's words.
"It's called an opinion", She snapped,"And besides, I was talking about my own House."

Kaitlyn sighed, and then laughed. 'You really suit Slytherin, littlen.' She smiled. 'Snapping at me like that.'
She swooped through the girl effortlessly. 'Now you've made me unhappy.' She pulled a sad face, and then hovered right infront of the girl.
'Push me away then.' She laughed.

Tabitha gave a shudder as the ghost flew through her. Then she moved in front of Tabitha, mocking her.
Tabitha glared at the ghost, not really knowing what to say to her.
"How about you just leave me alone, eh?", She growled, eyes narrowed.

Kaitlyn raised her eyebrows and pouted her lips. 'You know, I would leave you alone.' She giggled sweetly. 'But I really don't like people rolling their eyes at me.' She tutted, and shrugged. 'Soooo.' She sang in a sweet voice. 'You'd better get used to your new friend Kaitlyn.' She hovered but the girls side, and laughed, but this time, in was menacing. 'Because friends never leave each others side.'

Users who are viewing this thread

Back